Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2004, 10:30 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Pets, Barking and Whines - A Sane Discussion Please

Greetings Suz!

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver suz
I have just the opposite problem- Teaching my quiet dog into barking like crazy, when I go down in a seizure. I don't want her to turn into a barking dog. But I am counting on people to be attracted to the barking (even if annoyed) and then see her medic alert- service dog cape. I'll certainly check out Uncle's site! thanks, suz
I don't know whether this would work for you, but it is something that we did in training one of our Chihuahuas to assist my mother who had a severe hearing impairment. It came about out of a chance set of circumstances - - I had recently moved to a home in a rural area wher coyotes howled nearly every evening and for some reason my Chihuahua decided to mimick them. Later, the Chihuahua decided that anytime she was disturbed by something she would howl to draw our attention.

We used a recording of the coyotes howling with my mother's Chihuahua puppy that was played when the door bell rang or the phone rang and rewarded the puppy when she answered the door bell/telephone ring with a howl - - very shortly, she would howl when the telephone rang or the door bell rang. She definitely attracted my mother's attention and the howl meant only door bell or telephone. I don't know whether a similar method might work with your dog, or what "cue" would be used to prompt the "alarm" response.

Good luck with your dog's training program!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004, 07:13 AM   #22
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy82301
Hello.. would not use one.. we had invisible fencing and it has turned our Lhasa into a neurotic dog ...
I also don't like to use invisible fencing for the same reasons. I have a related story to share...We recently adopted a 2-year old Golden Retriever who was raised on invisible fencing. When we got him home to a no-invisible fencing environment it was interesting to watch him de-program over the course of a month. He would walk up to just 2 feet away from the yew hedges in our backyard and just stop. As time progressed, he would take a step closer and just stop. Now, after a few months, he doesn't stop! I'd like to believe he no longer worries about the warnings and counter effects of the invisible fencing!

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004, 08:26 AM   #23
4 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to silver suz
Thanks, Kevin that is great advice! silver suz
silver suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004, 01:34 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

1975 29' Ambassador
1960 18' "Footer"
Belen , New Mexico
ugh!

Well, we are two weeks into the fulltiming experience and this morning we were awaken by our new neighbors dogs barking (the owners were not there). I was pretty annoyed but after reading this thread I have hope that maybe our neighbors are still in the training process with their dogs and not just big jerks that don't care about their pets

fingers crossed!
M&J Siegford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 07:23 AM   #25
1963 Globetrotter

1963 19' Globetrotter
Detroit , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by M&J
fingers crossed!
Uncross those fingers and put them in your ears - most likely they are jerks. Just read an item in the Good Sam Magazine about how more and more parks are either not allowing dogs, or not allowing pets (dogs) to be left alone at the site or in the rv's when the owners go away for the day.

Good luck on your fulltiming experiences! I was just thinking about that today. I'd love to give it all up and hit the road. Do need some cash reserves.

peace -
john
3237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 07:36 AM   #26
1963 Globetrotter

1963 19' Globetrotter
Detroit , Michigan
Ok - Dog Owners - who's pets are troublesome speak up!

Lot's of nice people writing in this thread - but I'd like to hear from those owners who know full well that their dogs are annoying, bark and or whine when they are gone and why you would think one or everyone at that campground would want to listen to it for any length of time let alone all day when you are gone?

How shall we approach you to remedy the situation? But if you are too thick in the head or just so darn self centered what can we do? You will ruin it for all of us! And you have ruined many a nice vacation already.

I know the campground owners are at a loss to be of help. Perhaps if we just call the local humane society and report this as an abuse case? Dog locked in a trailer! Or should I do like when I see a dog locked in a hot car and break in and relieve the dog of his suffering - physical/mental?

If your presence and/or the presence of your pets knowingly will only annoy your fellow campers - JUST STAY HOME!
3237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 11:47 AM   #27
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Because of bad experiences with neglegted and therefore barking dogs, I would favor a rule in campgrounds that either prohibit leaving them alone altogether, and/or ask the owners of noisy dogs to leave the campground immediately.
I do not mind playful barking, or an occasional yelp, after all, dogs are people, too.
we've often had dog neighbors while camping, and had them come visit and hang out close by. We're not anti-dog, but very much anti-irresponsible dog owner.
Btw, we do not have a dog.
Old 08-10-2004, 02:38 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

Reading this thread and others like it, I've been wondering how my dog would behave if I ever left him in the trailer alone.
We spent a few days at San Mateo campground recently. Other sites near us had some very barky dogs. (We were near the showers). Hubby was surfing at San Onofre, so I spent some time proofing my dog about making noise if I were ever to leave him in the trailer.
I got him comfortable and left him inside, took a magazine with me and walked away (as if leaving). I went far enough away for him to think I was gone, but still able to hear him if he lit up. I read a few articles, maybe 5 or 10 minutes. When I returned, I praised him for being such a good dog and all that jazz. I plan to do this many, many times, extending the time gradually.
I have done this with all my dogs, beginning as puppies. I leave them in my car (on cool days or covered parking of course), and walk away into the store or somewhere else out of site. Stores with two way glass are ideal. This is a good way to make sure they will behave, even if someone walks close to the car. I always start with just a few minutes, then extend the time.
Often I leave him in the covered parking and spend an hour at the gym, then take him to our obedience class for a training workout.
I think the idea is to make them feel secure and safe, with the understanding that we will return, and that there is no threat. I'd like to think he knows that whenever I return, a good time is in store for him.
If someone tried to molest my car or trailer, I'm sure it would be another story. After all, that is his job.
I don't expect to be able to trust him alone in the trailer for a long time, but I figure the exercise is good if I never need to do it.
Old 08-10-2004, 02:52 PM   #29

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Good idea, Linda. Preparing them for a situation is always the best way to handle it. Otherwise how will they know what to do?

On our recent long trip we did end up next to someone who left their dogs in an outdoor pen, barking incessantly, even when they were near. When they left them alone it was even worse. I felt sorry for the dogs, they were obviously nervous, pacing around non-stop. It drove me crazy. Finally someone from the park came and spoke to them and they put them inside.

Most of the parks we stayed at did have a rule that you couldn't leave your pets unattended, but obviously it's only as good as the enforcement that goes with it.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 03:12 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

Thanks Stef:
I'd feel pretty mortified if I found that my dog, our music, or whatever was aggravating someone else. I continue working on behaviors of my varmints for my own self-assurance and peace of mind. Beside the misery put upon other campers, I can only imagine what kind of havoc a loney dog could do to the interior of a trailer!
Kind of like me when my hubby leaves me to go surfing or fishing all day! JOKE! Just kidding of course!
Old 08-10-2004, 06:16 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member

Richmond , Virginia
I take Kitty's crate, which she loves. Safe and secure. She gets right when I tell her I have to go out. Leave on a little classical music and she naps away...

WBCCI #2468
2006 Ford F-150 Lariart 4X4
2004 19' Bambi Safari LS
luckydc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 09:49 AM   #32
3 Rivet Member

I think it is rather rude of you to refer to others as "Jerks", and "thick headed". Doesn't the Bible say "Thou shalt not judge others".
I have 2 dogs, a Parson's Jack Russel Terrier, and a Carin Terrier. Both dogs are very energetic and playful. The jack is about 2 and the carin is 1, they love to play, and would rather play inside. They come out to use the bathroom, and then are ready to go back in. They bark when they feel that someone, or something is too close to the coach. I like that. Most often we camp in the most secluded spots, not because of the dogs, but to stay away from crabby people out to ruin my vacation.

Lowell, Amanda, Marley, and Winne
Our Dogs are our Children
LowellN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 10:13 AM   #33
4 Rivet Member

2002 19' Bambi
1989 29' Excella
1980 28' International
Avon , Colorado
Send a message via AIM to rfield54
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowellN
They bark when they feel that someone, or something is too close to the coach. I like that. Most often we camp in the most secluded spots, not because of the dogs, but to stay away from crabby people out to ruin my vacation.
So what then do you think makes campers "crabby"? You have a lot of nerve thinking quiet loving people can ruin YOUR vacation. ...unbelievable!

AIR #2753

www.roybloomfield.com
rfield54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 10:30 AM   #34
4 Rivet Member

2002 19' Bambi
1989 29' Excella
1980 28' International
Avon , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowellN
They bark when they feel that someone, or something is too close to the coach. I like that.
So, how close is too close? When you choose a camp spot, you should then test it: Have a stranger walk past your spot, like say on the way to the rest rooms. If your dogs bark, then YOU'RE too close ... MOVE TO A MORE REMOTE SPOT!. Don't forget, dogs have the mental capacity of a two year old human. Plus they're inherently paranoid...Not a good combination. (I'm a dog owner).

AIR #2753

www.roybloomfield.com
Old 10-11-2004, 05:50 PM   #35
3 Rivet Member

Smile

First I want to clarify that when I said that my dogs bark when someone gets too close to my caoch, I meant close. Like 5-7 feet. If someone is that close then I'm glad they bark. Second, when I stated that when I camp I find a secluded spot, I meant a secluded spot. When I camp I like to be away from others, not cramped together. My idea of camping, RVing, etc.. is to be "in nature". If I want to be jammed up against my neighbors I might as well stay home and camp in the driveway. I belong to a resort chain (Outdoor World) and like to visit the resorts that have places where the sites are farther than 15 feet apart, or even a nice State Park.
My dogs are part of my family, if they are not welcome then I'm not coming. They are for the most part well behaved and quiet, but every once in a while they may bark. Once we were taking a nap after doing a little fishing and the dogs started barking. After I told them to hush I figured out what they were barking about and fixed the problem. A squirrel was running around on the roof and awning of our Winnebago.
My dogs have never ruined anyones vacation. If they were that obnoxious they would be ruining my relaxation and my vacation. Do you think that any dog owner likes to listen to any dog, wether it be theirs on anyone elses dog, bark all the time? The answer is obviously no. I never insinuated that barking dogs are OK with me, it's quite the opposite. I totally agree with you and the others about that. I just didn't agree with the way that it was being phrased.
"Crabby" people are the ones that give you dirty looks in the middle of the day for having a good time horsing around with friends, splashing a little with each other at the pool, having fun while throwing some horseshoes, etc... I don't speak from experience in these situations because nobody has ever complained about me while camping. I have had friends camping with me that have 4 kids. It's amazing how little tolerance some people have. So the kids are a little noisy in the day time, they get quiet at night. One "crabby person" actually yelled at my friends child for riding his bicycle too fast, and not abiding the helmet law. The kid is over the age of the helmet law, and was riding his bike along side of us while taking a walk. That's "crabby".
We go caming every other week-end, and have never had a complaint from anyone. Quite the opposite. Most every time we have someone stop by the site to pet the dogs, and to tell us how cute and well behaved they are. The "rangers" at ODW actually give them treats when we check in and out. Sometimes they stop by just to give them treats at the site.
Believe me that my motives were not to upset anyone. I mean no ill will at all. I am the site manager of a classic Winnebago web group and have to deal with misunderstandings between members all the time, it's not fun. I'm sorry for any misunderstanding.

Lowell
LowellN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 06:05 PM   #36
4 Rivet Member

2002 19' Bambi
1989 29' Excella
1980 28' International
Avon , Colorado
Thank you for being a responsible camper.

AIR #2753

www.roybloomfield.com
Old 10-11-2004, 06:55 PM   #37
Rivet Master

Lowell,

You can camp with us anytime.
67caravel is offline   Reply With Quote