Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2019, 05:05 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
West Harwich , MA
Pet Barrier

Hello! We have 2 English Bulldogs and are looking for suggestions on a good “pet fence” to put up when we park/boondock. My husband doesn’t want it to weigh too much and the ones online are metal and are pretty heavy. Any advice? We want them outside as much as possible when we are parked. Thanks so much!
stef0597 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 07:27 PM   #2
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

All the plastic / lightweight stuff I have seen is exactly that .... lightweight. If you have reasonable sized dogs, they will push it over. Indeed you can put in metal supports and tie ropes and stakes. None of that sounds like fun.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 03:21 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2020 25' Flying Cloud
Atlanta , Georgia
So when we were towing our 22 with a Tacoma, we bought about a half dozen sets of increasingly high metal gates. (Increasingly high as our Goldendoodle learned to high jump.) They are very heavy. And a pain to get in and out of the truck.

When I bought my F150, I could no longer reach easily over the sides into the bed. So getting the gates in and out was tough. We finally tried NOT setting up the gates, just keeping the dogs on leashes and walking them more. They did not seem to be upset.

The thing is, we couldn't leave our dogs in the enclosure without supervision. (Without supervision they tend to run with a bad crowd, steal cars, play poker, drink and smoke...) And even though we could play ball with them a little, there was no way to make the enclosure big enough to make it any more than just sort'a OK for them.

We haven't gotten rid of the gates, but I think that's the direction we're going. Truthfully, they're so heavy that I don't think my back will put up with schlepping them around.
Belbein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 03:25 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Western NC , North Carolina
We just keep ours on a fairly long lead campsite permitting.
JonDNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 03:30 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
If we're at a site and it's nice enough for the dogs to be out, we are out. Tethering them on a nylon lead meets the leash requirement and they can be with us. Of course multiple leash walks every day also happen. And these are high energy herding dogs who live off leash at home. They love to travel.
Old 09-25-2019, 03:36 PM   #6
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
The most effective means of restraining large dogs that I've seen is a heavy-duty clothesline strung between two trees (or between the trailer and a tree) about 6 feet off the ground, with leashes attached to that. The length of the clothesline plus the length of the leash defines the total area that the dog can cover. With two dogs, I'd recommend using two clotheslines strung in different directions so that the dogs won't get their leashes tangled.
Old 09-25-2019, 04:25 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 20' Flying Cloud
Williamson County , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
The most effective means of restraining large dogs that I've seen is a heavy-duty clothesline strung between two trees (or between the trailer and a tree) about 6 feet off the ground, with leashes attached to that. The length of the clothesline plus the length of the leash defines the total area that the dog can cover. With two dogs, I'd recommend using two clotheslines strung in different directions so that the dogs won't get their leashes tangled.
That has been one method we used in the past that worked great, only thing I will add is that for the attachment of the leash to the line, we used a pulley with a swivel so it could roll along the length of the line, and then had a clamp at each end to stop the pulley and adjust how far the dog could go at each end. You end up with a rectangular area for the dog defined by the line length and 2X the leash length.
SYC2Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 06:56 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

South , Alabama
We also have used these Midwest portable fencing
MidWest Exercise Pen, 30-Inch, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000H8YTJI...p_mob_ap_share
We purchased 3 sets along with steel stakes.
They fold accordion style and I don’t find them that heavy.
This is the first thing we set up after parking and leveling camper.
We make a nice fenced area along camper under awning with camper door opening into area. Then where two sets meet we make a nice gate going out. Dogs love being with us.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1242.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	451.5 KB
ID:	352995

I look forward to others suggestions. Maybe a more compact roll up fence with plastic stakes.
DougHeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 08:30 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2021 33FB Classic
2019 30' Flying Cloud
Katy , Texas
Following this thread.

Our chocolate lab is a good traveler, but she's a regular Houdini when it comes to escaping fences and collars and leashes and leads and harnesses and every other dog containment contraption we've tried. These strong, athletic, chewy dogs are the perfect pets...until they're not! I'm wondering what others are doing so maybe we can get some good ideas.
jaybauman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 10:30 AM   #10
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybauman View Post
Following this thread.

Our chocolate lab is a good traveler, but she's a regular Houdini when it comes to escaping fences and collars and leashes and leads and harnesses and every other dog containment contraption we've tried. These strong, athletic, chewy dogs are the perfect pets...until they're not! I'm wondering what others are doing so maybe we can get some good ideas.
Hi

It's been at least 12 hours since our Lab made it out of his collar That was indeed the first time in several years so he does not do it often. There are indeed "over the shoulder" sort of harnesses that will eliminate the problem if it is a common thing.

Chew wise, he has his own set of toys that travel in the trailer and another set in the truck. If he gets the urge, there is something to attack. He also gets a fairly large / leathery chew at least once a day.

Long term containment wise, he's in the trailer, in the truck, or on a leash with one of us holding the leash. I would not leave a dog outside tied up in any way. That's just me, we have lost dogs in the past that way ( = they got tangled and choked to death). Indeed part of that is the type of harness you decide to use.

Since he's mostly on leash, when he is off, it's not that big a deal. He doesn't go far and is actually better behaved than when on leash. Often it's easier to transit from truck to trailer off leash than on. Yes it's breaking the rules ... sorry about that

Bob
Old 09-26-2019, 10:46 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Jacksonville Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

It's been at least 12 hours since our Lab made it out of his collar That was indeed the first time in several years so he does not do it often. There are indeed "over the shoulder" sort of harnesses that will eliminate the problem if it is a common thing.

Chew wise, he has his own set of toys that travel in the trailer and another set in the truck. If he gets the urge, there is something to attack. He also gets a fairly large / leathery chew at least once a day.

Long term containment wise, he's in the trailer, in the truck, or on a leash with one of us holding the leash. I would not leave a dog outside tied up in any way. That's just me, we have lost dogs in the past that way ( = they got tangled and choked to death). Indeed part of that is the type of harness you decide to use.

Since he's mostly on leash, when he is off, it's not that big a deal. He doesn't go far and is actually better behaved than when on leash. Often it's easier to transit from truck to trailer off leash than on. Yes it's breaking the rules ... sorry about that

Bob
Have you tried what is called a "greyhound collar". You set it how tight you want it but NOT so tight it chokes them or constricts their breathing at that the tightest point. But what happens is that if they pull back from you or pull forward it tightens down so it cant fit over their head. It is not a choke collar and you can get thicker width ones so it isn't as likely to choke even though you have it set not that tight. This eliminates the chances of them pulling back out of a collar situation. The other nice thing is that on the collar it gives you a closer spot to grab the dog to keep him or her close to your body for leverage should you need to. I used it on my Alaskan malamute after the breeder recommended it. It is made of nylon NOT metal as I'm not a fan of choke collars or something that is hurtful to the dog. Here is a link to something like I used. Hopefully I explained it well enough. I'm sure there are you tube videos on this type.

https://www.petsmart.com/dog/collars-harnesses-and-leashes/collars/petsafe-quick-snap-martingale-dog-collar-5164571.html?utm_id=500%7Cpg105148%7C293946777986& gclid=Cj0KCQjww7HsBRDkARIsAARsIT79fhsnQm1NCG8HlhPo Bn4zUiabtmtP2UaNKtmchJCapj8De4mihosaAm6SEALw_wcB&l sft=utm_source%3Agoogle%2Cutm_term%3A5164571%2Cutm _medium%3APLA%2Cutm_content%3ACatch%20All%20-%20Showcase*%2Cutm_campaign%3A*GSC%20-%20Low%20-%20CATCH%20ALL&utm_medium=PLA&utm_source=google
Grace-n-Pup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 10:48 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Jacksonville Beach , Florida
The last link didn't seem to work so let me try this one...

https://www.petsmart.com/dog/collars...llar-9067.html
Grace-n-Pup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 11:27 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I have a sturdy metal pet barrier I used in my pick up. I no longer use it. Send me a pm if you are interested,
Old 09-26-2019, 12:44 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2021 33FB Classic
2019 30' Flying Cloud
Katy , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
It's been at least 12 hours since our Lab made it out of his collar
I can definitely relate!

In all seriousness, here's my issue: If we're around, she doesn't go more than 10 feet away. It's when we need to leave her somewhere that the escapades begin. Like most labs, her neck is really thick so collars don't tend to fit well (and she has been able to slip out of "tight" collars"). We tried multiple types of nylon harnesses, and we find if she can get her mouth on it, she will chew through it in less than 5 minutes...just for fun, because she prefers to chew harness material more than her chew toys. I've also seen her jump over a 6' fence. This dog doesn't have separation anxiety. She just loves to be with people. (Any people....strangers or otherwise!) And she loves trails....the longer, the better! She's a great hiking companion.

But enough about my canine travails. We know how to handle her and keep her healthy and safe when traveling. It just comes at a rather large opportunity cost for us. I'm following this thread to see if I can learn something new from y'all.
jaybauman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 01:15 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Opportunity here: If you love dogs and have considered work camping for.added income, why not pet sit? Truly those fences are fine for small dogs, but for a lab, standard poodle or shepherd? Almost as much fun as watching a newbie use the dump station.
Old 09-26-2019, 02:20 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
I have a 22 pound Tibetan Terrier that can easily get over a 5 foot barrier from a standing start. He stays on a leash...the dog has coil springs in his hind legs!
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 03:08 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

South , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
Opportunity here: If you love dogs and have considered work camping for.added income, why not pet sit? Truly those fences are fine for small dogs, but for a lab, standard poodle or shepherd? Almost as much fun as watching a newbie use the dump station.

Thinking to my self.. have I been dumping correctly? Lol
DougHeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 06:59 AM   #18
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Actually the lab is the small dog of the group, the two Neuf's both had him beat by a wide margin. They no longer travel with us, but when we he'd the three of them, each was it's own unique management issue

Bob
Old 09-27-2019, 03:31 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Jacksonville , Florida
You know that X-pens, cables, zip lines, etc are against the rules in most parks. Some counties in Florida have laws against them as well.
Overstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 03:46 PM   #20
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
How responsive are the pups to wireless training?

https://www.retrieversareus.com/best...-fence-system/
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote