Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2024, 06:05 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Airstream - Other
Plant City , Sunshine State on the west coast.
New Rules for RVing to Alaska with Dogs

Thinking, about crossing the U.S. Border with your PET(s). This story is from the Camper Report, click on the attached link to learn more.
Click Here
Old 05-18-2024, 06:19 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2022 33' Classic
Chesapeake , Virginia
Thanks for posting. I posted similar info, after my wife saw the news on a Facebook Alaska RV group. This will impact many RVers.

We just got out 10 year Golden chipped. Our Vet revised our rabies certificate to include the microchip serial number. All we have to worry about now is filling out the form that will not be available until August.
BGClassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2024, 03:39 PM   #3
Wheels Itch)(Must Travel

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
- east coastal area - , Florida
These new rules apply not just for travel to/from Alaska via Canada. They also apply to ALL travel from the USA to anywhere in Canada and then returning.

You could enter Canada without the necessary documents required to return - finding your dogs stuck in Canada!

It appears that in addition to vaccines, your dog(s) need to be microchipped and photo IDed.

Highly recommend you read the new CDC rules going into effect Aug 2024.

I read them several times and I'm still confused since Canada is seen as a low/no risk country

I sent them an email for clarification and will call them on Monday if I don't get a reply.

Stay tuned
az-streamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2024, 10:53 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
La Pine , Oregon
New requirements for dogs entering the US

Just read this article re: the "new" CDC requirements for ALL dogs entering the US. Talk about bureaucracy?

https://camperreport.com/new-rules-f...-your-journey/

According to the article, any RV'ers with dogs who enter the US after August 1, 2024 will be REQUIRED to -
Be at least 6 months of age at time of entry or return (the dog) to the United States
Have an implanted International Organization for Standardization (ISO)-compatible microchip
The microchip number must be documented on all required forms and in all accompanying veterinary records
Have a CDC Dog Import Form receipt
This form should be filled out online ideally 2-10 days before arrival. It can also be completed right before travel (even in line at the border crossing) if you have internet access. If the information on the form changes before the dog arrives, you must submit a new form and indicate you are making changes to an existing form. All information, including port of entry where the dog is arriving, must be correct at time of arrival.
This form requires you to upload a clear photograph of the dog showing its face and body. Dogs that will be less than one year of age at time of arrival should have the photograph taken within 10 days before arrival.
This ties together with stories about contractor dogs that performed "military service" in Afghanistan and were left behind because of similar CDC requirements.

I guess I'm a radical as I see NO VALUE whatsoever in these requirements. YES, all dogs should be micro-chipped, and YES all dogs should have a rabies vaccination - and BOTH of my dogs have both.

It's hard for me NOT to make this a political statement. However it appears Uncle Sam feels dogs are more of a threat to the US than anything else . . .
andyherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2024, 12:55 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2022 33' Classic
Chesapeake , Virginia
Not going to agree or argue. We just had our 10 year old Golden velcro-dog chipped. From what I have read, this is the first update to the laws since 1956. Apparently rabies is still a big deal in third world countries. Canada and the US have it under control. I want to be able to get back home after our Alaska trip this summer.
Old 05-20-2024, 01:39 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2023 25' Globetrotter
2021 16' Bambi
Forest Lake , Minnesota
No one likes having rules and regulation imposed on them, but if it's for a good reason, it's easier to accept it. I did a little research and apparently the US is behind most of the industrialized world with lax dog import rules for preventing rabies. However, I wish our government was more transparent on the rationale behind the regulations instead of issuing an edict seemingly out of nowhere.

I was wondering why chipping is necessary (maybe it's in some publication somewhere). Are they going to track dogs by scanning their chip? I saw some vague reference that it will reduce mass importation of dogs and cruelty. I'm also a little skeptical that the government can release a form a month before implementation and have everything go like clockwork.
JeffKim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2024, 04:15 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2022 33' Classic
Chesapeake , Virginia
Sadly, the chip does not even have the rabies vaccine info embedded, but our health cert and rabies cert letter both reference the chip ID#. We will be somewhere in the Yukon when the form comes out. Fortunately, our fellow travelers will have Starlink.
Old 05-21-2024, 09:12 AM   #8
Wheels Itch)(Must Travel

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20240521-110512.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	443620

CDC information in case you are interested.
Old 05-22-2024, 09:52 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

abbotsford , British Columbia
New dog regulations

On August 1st, the CDC is bringing in draconian new dog regulations with regards to rabies that is going to make it very difficult for Canadians to cross into the US with their dogs and for Americans to transit Canada to Alaska, It also puts those traveling to Mexico at risk of not being able to get their dog back into the US.

It is a serious threat to our business which is RV Caravans to Mexico and other companies running ones to Alaska. It is creating issues w1th dog rescues, musher organizations and dog shows.

I have been working with a few organizations like pet rescues to try and figure out these new rules and I am finding out more each day. I have also been in touch with the CDC.

If these new rules are not modified I suspect chaos will break out after Aug 1st and the tourism economy on both sides of the border will be seriously affected.

I have a web page with all of this and I am sure it is not 100% accurate, but it is dated and I am updating and/or correcting as i find out more information.

https://www.mexicocaravans.com/dogrules.html
telcoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 01:26 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2022 33' Classic
Chesapeake , Virginia
While I didn't like the last minute law change (we are departing for Alaska in two weeks), we took the actions needed to make our dog legal. We got her chipped, and our vet issued a health certificate, and updated her rabies vaccination letter to include the chip ID#.

The change in the law is in response to dogs coming in from other countries that do not have rabies under control, like the US and Canada do.
Old 05-22-2024, 02:12 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
La Pine , Oregon
What"s incredibly irritating about this is I live @ 25 miles from the Canadian border and travel into BC and Alberta, Canada a lot - there's a lot to see there. Having to fill out these forms every time I venture into Canada and back with my dogs is ludicrous and yes I always take my dogs with me.

I'm not "importing" my dogs into the US, as far as I'm concerned they are "US citizens". As someone else noted, Canada is not a "high risk" rabies country. Given how many HUNDREDS of thousands of dogs are euthanized in the US every year, I'm extremely dubious that a "flood" of imported dogs are making there way into the US from Canada and question whether this is a significant health issue (Mexico could be a completely different story).

Colorado, Iowa, Idaho, Kansas, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota, and Utah don't even require residents to have their dogs vaccinated against rabies -

https://www.animallaw.info/topic/tab...20requirements.
andyherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 02:25 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2022 33' Classic
Chesapeake , Virginia
I am glad Virginia requires rabies vaccinations. That's a terrible death for a dog. You answered the question with that list of states.
Old 05-26-2024, 01:46 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
yeah, we got wind of this 2 weeks ago, 3 business days before leaving on a 5 month trip that will take us into Canada. it caused lots of last minute messing around.

Bottom line: Your vet needs to go online so he can print off a CERTIFIED rabies vaccination certificate. You must take this with you.

Then 2-15 days prior to your re-entry into the US you have to go online to get an authorization to bring dogs into the us... and I guess you print that out. I believe that form isn't yet available.

To me it sounds like some Govt employee had too much time on his hands. To require this between the US and Canada is ridiculous .
KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2024, 05:33 PM   #14
Wheels Itch)(Must Travel

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Over the past many many years (decades in fact) we have vacationed in NE Maine and Campobello Island

Our next trip was planned for two months camping on Campobello Island - along with our two little dogs.
The new regs would start while we were in Canada .

In the past, all you needed in either direction was passports, and dog vaccine papers which were often skipped.

If there were any glitches in the paperwork we would be stuck in Canada.

So ....

New plan, two months camping in the North Carolina mountains.
Old 05-26-2024, 07:09 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
redondo beach , California
Next will be chipped humans.
Randy and Beth 15 F250, 16 30' International, ProPride, Dexter 3" lift, Michelin 16, Dill TPMS, Centramatics, Battleborn x4, Victron BMV and 1.2KW inverter, Orion DC/DC, BlueSolar MPPT, 300W solar, Alpine iLX, Polk MM1, Samsung smart 42"
mythbuster88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2024, 11:40 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1997 21' Excella
Carson City , Nevada
yepper

Yep!!!!
Never and end to regulations and more laws and on and on. After all, we are subject to the guvmint. I always thought we were their employers. Or I mean, I thought they worked for us.
Old 05-27-2024, 07:54 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by BessieB View Post
Yep!!!!
Never and end to regulations and more laws and on and on. After all, we are subject to the guvmint. I always thought we were their employers. Or I mean, I thought they worked for us.
Ha! To me, this process did not add any value at all. Our vet already gave us a certificate with all the necessary DETAILED info on it….but that is no longer good enough.
The vet had to go on line and get the CDC to “certify “ his certificate.

For a US resident taking his dog out of country only to Canada, already having vaccination papers, and returning, this process is idiotic IMHO. Like I said, someone had too much time on their hands.
KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2024, 10:34 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1997 21' Excella
Carson City , Nevada
"For a US resident taking his dog out of country only to Canada, already having vaccination papers, and returning, this process is idiotic IMHO. Like I said, someone had too much time on their hands."

I think there is a song for that

Tags
music, radio, sound insulation, sound system