Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2014, 11:22 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
Tucson , Arizona
We have needed nearly everything in our doggie first aid kit.

Colloidal silver - is invaluable! It saved our one pug from having a corneal ulcer after he scratched his eye and we couldn't get to a vet for a week. It is great for many many problems.

Extra pain meds - if your dogs are prone to throwing out their backs. Same situation...we were stranded on a mountain for a week and one pug threw his back out. We had leftovers from last time he did that and he was right as rain once the medicine kicked in.

Benedryl - is a must for bee stings. Pug got stung, I gave him a benedryl and the swelling went back down before it became critical.

Ice packs - help keep swelling down and can be used to keep dogs from overheating
aluminitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 11:27 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
Thanks TenCan for starting this thread. I've traveled with dogs most my life. Mostly hunting trips, but now in the Stream. Thought I had a pretty good handle on what's needed, but already find some more great ideas here. Medical kit and records, very important and SeeMore has enlightened me to a couple of other items that I've not been carrying. I hope the posts keep coming--no such thing as too many good ideas. One last thought "Skunk Off". I know campgrounds and having your dog on leash make it unlikely Fido will tangle with one (not like a hunter working a field) but trust me, if it ever happens, you will need all the help you can get to allow that pup to remain part of the family trip.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Howard L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 06:17 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
Vintage Kin Owner
Bad Axe , Michigan
People, please check with your Veterinarian about using aspirin or ibuprofen.

Ibuprofen and Dogs, Ibuprofen and Cats - Iburofen Toxicity in Dogs, Cats
1977 31' International Sovereign - sold
2012 Ford F250 Superduty Crewcab

WBCCI# 1007 Air#2158
dkrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 07:46 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Bring lots of large poopy bags.
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 10:16 AM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Versailles , Indiana
We have two rescue shar peis (wrinkle dogs, though they are not that wrinkle-y) and we haven't had the younger one out in the trailer yet, though they both love to lounge in the doorway while we are finishing up rehab projects.
When I camped with the older one, I always had a Handi-Drink doggie water bottle which had a flip sleeve that folded open to make a mini trough for her to drink from. She loved it.
Also used lots of doggie wipes for feet, faces, and other body parts when she found a nice wild animal 'deposit'.
Have fun!
Rhino33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 10:21 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Versailles , Indiana
Another suggestion if your dogs are sensitive to thunder, fireworks, etc is a Thundershirt (or Thunderleash). We have done a great deal of dog/puppy rescue and these coats can really have a calming effect on nervous or anxious dogs.
Rhino33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 01:03 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2012 25' Flying Cloud
2007 20' Safari SE
Fuquay Varina , North Carolina
Advice on Traveling With Dogs

We have a 5 year old mini schnauzer and a new 9 week old mini schnauzer puppy. We will not be traveling until the new puppy is at least 16 weeks old and has had all of his shots. Until he has all of his shots he is at risk for parvo, distemper, etc.

One piece of advice when traveling is that we started our now 5 year old mini schnauzer wearing Mutt-Luks when we go hiking or when it is raining. It is great for him to keep his feet dry in bad weather. He also has a rain coat that he wears. We will be doing the same training for our new puppy. Mutt-Luks are available in several sizes to fit the breed of dog that you have. Our 5 year old schnauzer wears X-Small.
Here is a picture of Winston coming in from a terrible rain storm in his rain gear and Mutt-Luks. He always automatically stops on the rug to "undress"-hold his feet up one at a time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Winston Ready For Rainy Weather.JPG
Views:	491
Size:	123.1 KB
ID:	218931  
Silverbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 01:39 PM   #28

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
That is adorable, and probably a lot nicer than having the camper full of 'wet doggie' smell

The best addition we've made to our trailer is the 'dog yard'

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f239...ler-77117.html

Only used with supervision - of course!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 02:18 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
I've been traveling and camping with my whippets & greyhound for several years. They usually travel in crates in my SUV. My FIRST order of business when getting to a campsite is to set up their pen. I purchased 10 (3'x4') panels and set them up in a number of configurations. Since my purchase, I've done away with the panel attach fasteners and now just use zip-ties exclusively.... very fast setup and breakdown. Anyway, once the pen is in place I can put the dogs inside with water and beds so I can go about my parking and setup while they relax. And that helps me to relax. I don't have to worry about them getting hot in the truck or standing up and blocking my view while parking, etc. Here's a link to my setup: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f239...run-54736.html

I also have a center gaucho that I typically leave in the partially extending position so that they can recline there while inside. Keeps them out from under my feet.

I have tried a number of ways to carry their food but I always resort back to 1-gallon freezer bags. I can fit them just about anywhere.

I'd really like to add a wall mounted bowl holder, something like this: https://www.nelsonmfg.com/dog-feeders/1400/

Good luck - traveling with the pups makes every trip so much better! IMO.

Laura
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 02:51 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Rochester , Minnesota
Great thread! Making lists of meds for our lab...

Funkill, I like your wall mount bowl idea. I have been looking at adding this model to our trailer to keep bowls out from underfoot. Hoping it will fit inside the door, in place of our magazine rack. Haven't yet measured it out though.

http://designerpeteatery.webs.com

If I only had a dollar for every time I got distracted, I wish I had a puppy.
LucaBluPlus2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 03:30 PM   #31
1 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
mooresville , North Carolina
ok, I'm prepared to get some negative feedback on this, but here goes--we have three small dogs who are trained on invisible fence. The options I've seen for "portable" invisible fences don't seem to work very well. Has anyone found options for containing dogs outside of the airstream? We would like to have them with us when we are just sitting outside but would rather not use tie out leashes. Yes, I wish I had invested in training them when they were young, but I didn't.
DogMobile1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 03:48 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
We tried an old wooden accordion child's playpen, probably from the 40's or 50's. We thought is was kinda retro with the Airstream. The littlest could sneak through it and the biggest just turned it over. Now we just have the two small dogs. We got a soft puppy playpen that folds up like one of those oval windshield screens made of cloth with a wire frame. DW got it at a Beall's Outlet store. It is octagon shaped and has a top zipper and a zipper on one side. It folds up flat and has an elastic band to keep it folded up. It was made under the Laura Ashley brand.

Google:
Laura Ashley Printed Pop-up Water-Resistant Pet Playpens, 29"x29"x17"

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 03:50 PM   #33

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Sparks , Nevada
New AS Owner: advice on traveling w/ dogs

https://www.rakuten.com/prod/24-tall...CABEgLDGvD_BwE
We have 4 of similar to this. 24" is easy to step over but keeps our pups in. Added safety over invisible is some protection from roaming dogs. Folded up they take very little space. I used a section of wire shelving to go under the Airstream where the steps are so I can open the door without fear of them going walkabout alone.
sheriff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 05:54 PM   #34
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Lots of great advice above. I'm a big fan of simple lists, so here goes (some of this repeats what others have said):

- Get a temperature monitor and make sure you can get back quickly if you get an alert.
- Leave a radio and the AC fan on when leaving them alone
- Stop often for water breaks when traveling. We stop about every hour
- Cover everything they sit on: couch, bed. Orvis is a great place to get furniture covers
- Consider GPS trackers.
- Always make them wait for the release word before getting out of the truck or Airstream
- Leave leashes on in the truck
- Put a "Save my pet sticker" on both sides of the trailer with cell phone number
- Put an extra set of door keys in a lockbox secured to the trailer
- Have lots of candles for when you are there
- Have a good hand-held vacuum, dry swiffer, wet swiffer, and small dust broom and dust pan
- Have lots of lint brushes in lots of places
- Get a good water-trapper mat for inside the front door (Orvis)
- Have lots of dog towels
- Get a big golf umbrella with auto open for getting out the door easily when it is raining and the awning isn't open
- Have good brushes, combs, and towels in outside compartment. Use the brushes often
- Keep a copy of shot records, especially rabies, in both the tow vehicle and Airstream
- Have a dog rain coat and boots for when it is raining hard
- Put everything you take on a dog-packing checklist and check it before each trip

We love traveling with our dogs, two 100+ pound Great Pyrenees. They have been almost 20,000 miles in the Airstream and we traveled with one of them and another dog before her another 20,000+ miles in a 17' Casita.

We plan our trips around the dogs, making sure we don't leave them alone too long. We are particularly careful in the summer when an AC failure could be dangerous. Our monitor will notify us if the temperature starts getting too warm or if there is a power failure and I make sure I can get back quickly. If getting back quickly would not be possible for some reason, one of us stays with them.
barrettjl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 06:02 PM   #35
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

..... have a flashlight right by the trailer door
Do not lock both locks on the trailer door ...

If a dog *really* needs to go out .... you want to let it out quickly. Cleaning up the trailer is a "not so fun" exercise.

Don't ask how I know all this

Bob
uncle_bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 11:14 AM   #36
1 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Ashburn , Virginia
How do you get your dog to stop barking at everything that walks by?

We just adopted a rescue puppy - 10 month old Pointer Mix. She barks at EVERYTHING that goes by the trailer - dogs, people, tumbleweeds. We have been trying everything to get her to stop and she just won't stop. She cries even more when we close up all the blinds so she can't see out. I'm at my wits end - how can I get her to stop barking?

She's also leash aggressive - which is making walking her every day loads of fun too.

I'm beginning to think maybe I'm not just a dog owner - or that trying to adopt a dog while living in the AS was a bad idea.
MicheleL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 11:27 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by MicheleL View Post
We just adopted a rescue puppy - 10 month old Pointer Mix. She barks at EVERYTHING that goes by the trailer - dogs, people, tumbleweeds. We have been trying everything to get her to stop and she just won't stop. She cries even more when we close up all the blinds so she can't see out. I'm at my wits end - how can I get her to stop barking?

She's also leash aggressive - which is making walking her every day loads of fun too.

I'm beginning to think maybe I'm not just a dog owner - or that trying to adopt a dog while living in the AS was a bad idea.
I would try to find a good professional dog trainer to work with you and the dog to solve this set of issues. The dog is a bit immature and territorial, which is not unusual. It can be solved!
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 12:21 PM   #38
1 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Ashburn , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
I would try to find a good professional dog trainer to work with you and the dog to solve this set of issues. The dog is a bit immature and territorial, which is not unusual. It can be solved!
Yeah - we are trying that. None of her advice has been working yet. But we have two more sessions so we'll see what we can accomplish.
MicheleL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 12:26 PM   #39
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogMobile1 View Post
ok, I'm prepared to get some negative feedback on this, but here goes--we have three small dogs who are trained on invisible fence. The options I've seen for "portable" invisible fences don't seem to work very well. Has anyone found options for containing dogs outside of the airstream? We would like to have them with us when we are just sitting outside but would rather not use tie out leashes. Yes, I wish I had invested in training them when they were young, but I didn't.
RV parks and campgrounds generally require dogs to be leashed when outside. I think the exception would be for a pen made out of portable fencing panels. But this would probably be feasible only with really well-behaved or small dogs.

This wouldn't be an option for our big guy, a 95-lb. Newfoundland-border collie mix. One playful spring towards a passing animal, and he'd be over or through it in a second.

RV parks generally require owners to be with their dogs at all times. Of course, people leave their dogs in the RV all the time, anyway. But I would really think about timing on this. Early mornings or evenings when it's cool in the summer, and not a good idea for dogs that will bark when you're away.

On documents:
One thing that hasn't been mentioned yet is travel through the US-Canadian border. Both sides require you to have a rabies certificate, even though they seldom ask to see it. Just in case we unexpectedly would have to put the dog in a kennel or take him to the vet during our travels, we keep all of Toby's veterinary records, like his kennel cough record, in a manila envelope in our truck. We would seldom need them at home, anyway.

We've not had the chicken- or pork chop bone problem, but have been in too many public lands campsites with broken glass. When boondocking in the wilds, where the land managers ask boondockers to use already hardened sites, its a good idea to take along a shovel, extra heavy-duty garbage bags, and sturdy work gloves. It's disgusting, the number of times we've come across uncovered outdoor latrines with human waste. Then on BLM lands, we're apt to find cow patties. An off-leash dog might find these too attractive. Mud is one thing. A dog that rolls in icky stuff is something else.

Just wondering how many of you "sized" your AS to your dogs? We wanted to stay small with our AS for a variety of reasons, and bought our 19' Bambi prior to adopting our 4-year old, 95-lb love sponge from our local animal shelter. Normally he sleeps under the dinette table, but it is a challenge to have two commodious people plus the dog during the day time. A few do-si-do maneuvers come in handy.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 12:29 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
My Lily has become less of a barker over the years.

She mostly wants to bark at other dogs and people going by these days, but I give her a sharp “no” and “no bark”, sometimes placing my hand on her, then lots of “good girl” when she complies.

Someone approaching her house, tho, that’s just doing her job.

You have a puppy, might give tiny treats til she gets the hang of anything, then reduce them to mostly praise and just the occasional treat.

We took her to a basic obedience class at PetCo, too, which helped a lot.

Maggie