Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > The Pet Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-20-2010, 06:54 PM   #21
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Hello Miss Lily
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 07:46 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

1997 28' Excella
Arroyo Grande , California
What a great beginning to what looks to be a meant-to-be addition to your family! God bless you!!! Can't wait to see more pics of Lily enjoying 'streamin' with you.
Old 10-21-2010, 06:04 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thanks for the warm wishes. She is such a sweetie, and we love her more each day.

We arrived home Tuesday evening. The 2-day drive from southern Mississippi in our little Interstate was long for her and rather difficult for me, with 33lbs of dog wanting to ride on my lap. She likes to be close enough to be touched and cuddled at all times. Many stops and bruises on my legs later, she is glad to have the run of our house and back yard, and quickly showed us she knew to paw at the doors and yelp when she needed to go outside. We made her a bed in our room, so we can close her in at night, as her single bad behavior is picking up shoes, remotes, phones, etc., and chewing on them.

A visit to Petco yesterday, for a Kong and pretty bling name-tag, and an appointment early Monday to be spayed. She charms everyone she meets. Life is good.

Maggie
Old 10-21-2010, 08:14 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Between Here , And There
Miss Lilly

Oh Miss Lilly you are so cute. Paige has left and gone to San Antonio. Maybe we might meet somewhere during our travels.

Jack
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P6290001.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	210.2 KB
ID:	113663  
fltlevel510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 08:18 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Maggie
I don't think you will be sorry for picking up this great looking animal. We did the same,kinda, when we took in a 1 1/2 yr old Golden Retriever in June when we lost our little Schnauzer GIDGET too heart problems. He is a joy to have around.His family (military) transferred to Germany and could not take him.
I know Lilly will get the best care possible and bring joy to your home. Dog's just have a way of doin that.
Good Luck with your new family member.
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 08:19 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Oh Miss Lilly you are so cute. Paige has left and gone to San Antonio. Maybe we might meet somewhere during our travels.

Jack

That would be fun. She loves other dogs.

Maggie
Old 10-21-2010, 08:23 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikethefixit View Post
Maggie
I don't think you will be sorry for picking up this great looking animal. We did the same,kinda, when we took in a 1 1/2 yr old Golden Retriever in June when we lost our little Schnauzer GIDGET too heart problems. He is a joy to have around.His family (military) transferred to Germany and could not take him.
I know Lilly will get the best care possible and bring joy to your home. Dog's just have a way of doin that.
Good Luck with your new family member.

Thank you.

As some readers here know, Doug is not a dog lover, never having had them growing up as his mother believed dogs belonged outside on a farm. Our Gus died 6 years ago, and he has been adamant that we would not have another one. (Part of that, I know, due to both of our intense grief and anguish at her death. ) However, Lily has charmed her way into his heart.

Maggie
Old 12-04-2010, 08:01 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Snow Lily

She wasn't too sure about this stuff at first, then ripped around the back yard and enjoyed it thoroughly.

Such a sweet baby.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2690.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	185.9 KB
ID:	116521  
Old 12-04-2010, 09:08 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2017 30' Flying Cloud
2008 23' International
Keremeos , British Columbia
Congratulations on finding each other! There is no doubt all dogs give all the love they can give, but rescues add undying gratitude. Best wishes and happy tails,

Lisa

2017 30' FC | 2002 Chinook Destiny | 2008 23' Int. CCD (written off: hail!)
bolerama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 11:12 AM   #30
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Maggie,

Good for both of you and Lily. Ten years ago, when we got a cat to control rodents around the house area, I didn't think it through. The cat, who spends part time inside, but doesn't much like most people or any other animals, but loves Barb and barely tolerates me, would have a very difficult time with a dog. So we haven't gotten a dog despite wanting one. While I know luring coyotes to the house might solve the cat problem, I don't have it in me to do that and I think the cat is too smart for it to work anyway. I am jealous. Nice looking dog; pet her for me.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 11:38 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thanks, Gene.

We are not cat people, in fact simply don't like cats nor feel the slightest bit of warmth toward them. Nor do we really understand what the appeal is with cats----but obviously many people love them dearly.

Lily is a sweetheart, just the dearest thing and we hope she is as happy to have us as we are to have her. (By we, I really mean "me", although Doug has become quite attached to her, and she to him.)

Doug says she found me.

Maggie
Old 12-04-2010, 12:41 PM   #32
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Maggie, some research says cats have smaller brains than dogs because they are solitary and have poor social skills. Our cat is pretty smart for a cat and does follow my wife around sometimes. He seems to respond to the name she gave him, Sable, and doesn't realize it is not a boy's name. I think the only reason he comes in the house is for food and warmth. He will not chase a stick or a ball. He tortures small creatures. Unlike a dog he shows no emotions I can understand except purring sometimes. He is never exuberant. He figures out some things and seems to respond to a few words. But a dog trusts you unconditionally and with a cat, every day you have to prove yourself. He makes a lot of awful sounds that if he were human would be whining or screeching. He does have very plush fur and it would make very warm gloves. Maybe I'm not smart enough to understand cat language except when it means "let me outside! Now!". He's only 10 and cats live a long time. This is my cross to bear and I try to treat him kindly even though I know if he were a lot bigger, he would eat me for dinner.

Many years ago I had a friend who told me when he was in college, they'd put a cat in a typewriter case and spin the case around their heads for a while. When they'd let the cat out, they'd watch it stumble around as if it were drunk. This was in the late '60's and I'm sure some drugs besides catnip were involved. I do not advocate this cat treatment though I have been tempted.

I know that if I brought a dog home, maybe we would never see the cat again. Cats and dogs often get along fine, but not always. That is also tempting.

Gene
Old 12-04-2010, 12:49 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
As neither of us like cats, we would never under any circumstances have a cat, although neither would we mistreat one nor leave it lying injured or in need of care. We would take it to the nearest animal shelter or veterinary hospital.

It takes all kinds to make the world, right?

Maggie
Old 12-04-2010, 01:13 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Oak View , California
Gene,
I have two dogs and two cats, one cat was raised with the dogs as a kitten while they were one or two years old. I used to have another cat that was the sister of the first cat and she absolutely loved my female dog, even slept with her, groomed her face, followed her around. Then a tiny feral kitten started coming around and of course, I started feeding her. She was a little afraid of the dogs at first, but now she plays with them and sleeps on the bed with us too. Sometimes you can be amazed by how they learn to get along, it just takes a little patience and watchfulness in the beginning.
cclarkego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 01:46 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1988 29' Excella
Collinsville , Illinois
Our big boy here is very jealous that you have snow! For the time being he will have to content himself playing with the cats.
mcair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 02:35 PM   #36
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by cclarkego View Post
Sometimes you can be amazed by how they learn to get along, it just takes a little patience and watchfulness in the beginning.
When people with dogs visit, the cat disappears for the duration. He's good at that having learned how to disappear when coyotes and other predators drop by. Yesterday morning some coyotes were in the neighborhood, though not too near. He hid for the entire day not even coming to the house for food until evening. He has survived for ten years by being very careful.

If we could turn him into an indoor cat, then a dog might eventually work. And we have to turn him into an indoor cat when we move, or turn him over to a cat loving neighbor. We haven't started that process yet and I anticipate many weeks of awful noises from him.

When dogs are here, I get some dog time and don't have to feed them, walk them, or pay vet bills. But it isn't the same as having your own dog.

Gene
Old 12-04-2010, 03:32 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcair View Post
Our big boy here is very jealous that you have snow! For the time being he will have to content himself playing with the cats.

He can come to visit, and play in our fenced in back yard.

Maggie
Old 11-01-2011, 12:09 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
a sign at doggie day care

Well, Lily has been with us just over a year, now.

Up to 45 lbs and holding, and still insists she's a lap dog.

Loves, loves loves the grandbabies, especially their ears.

Loves, loves loves running on the beach, and anywhere we are.

Has the gentlest, sweetest and most loving disposition imaginable.

Goes once a week to a great doggie day care when we're home, and I saw a sign in there this morning that I just had to share.

"How dogs handle stress:

If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and leave it alone."

Maggie
Old 11-01-2011, 01:23 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Had to read the whole story - missed it last year.

Lucky people, the dog adopted you two.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 07:22 PM   #40
2 Rivet Member

1988 35' Argosy 5th Wheel
Cumming , Georgia
What a lucky dog! Best dog we ever had was a black lab.
Djmclean is offline   Reply With Quote