Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2020, 10:51 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2016 28' International
Trois-Rivieres , Quebec
Let's talk about dogs, traveling and security

There are many threads on pets and airstreaming in the Forum. In a previous thread on boondocking and security, many folks mentioned that dogs were important for their security.

Many airstreamers have pets and in particular dogs. Since these pets are part of the family they will often travel with their owners and generally travel was not a factor when they got their pet.

We have had dogs in the past, but DW is considering getting a new member for our 2 person family. The question is what should we be looking for. Most of our camping is off grid (boondocking).

Is there a particular profile for a "traveling dog"? What would be your ideal dog? Does traveling in your Airstream have any bearing on this?
What about dogs that have a "reputation" such as Rottwiler, Dobermann or German Sheperd? Or will a Chihuahua be just fine (as Michael and Christy's of Loloho)?

What do you do if you want to go hicking or bike riding, do you leave your pet in the trailer? What about the heat? Is barking a problem?
Have you experienced any limitations to where you can set up camp (campgrounds, boondocking, etc.)? What about crossing the border(s)?

If you get your pet as a puppy, any suggestions on how to train it for travel?

Your suggestions, comments, warnings are welcome. Thanks!
DIY Solar: 500W Renogy panels, AM Solar hdw, Blue Sky MPPT controller, 470ah Rolls battery bank, 2000W Renogy inverter.
Hermes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 11:34 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
First, I can't imagine a better dog than Molly.
However, things worth considering are; Do they shed? Can I pick one up? (a 75# dog can be a handful.) Does it travel well? Does it like strangers? Does it bark a lot? Where will it sleep?
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 11:46 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
Three dogs of an unusual breed have traveled with us since the early 1990s. The breed is Sloughi, a tall Greyhound-like breed which has been used for centuries to pursue and bring down game. We have had them off lead in remote areas and on lead in many others. In order to travel with these critters, we modify our travel and behavior plans to suit what is safe for the dog and as unobtrusive as possible for people around us and our dog.

Before deciding on a dog, please research the nature of the breed or breed mix to see if it suits you and will be a good traveling companion for you. Ultimately, you are the deciding factor. A dog cannot take responsibility for all of its actions.

No matter what, traveling with a dog can really be a source of great fun and pleasure.

Tim
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 12:53 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Whatever dog fits your family best is the choice for you, keeping in mind that...

Some campgrounds prohibit certain breeds

A very few prohibit over a certain size

The big national parks don’t allow dogs on trails

Many campgrounds don’t allow dogs left alone at campsites

I’m sure there’s more.

Traveling with your dog requires working around them, but for many of us we wouldn’t be without them.

Maggie
Old 07-11-2020, 12:57 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
Hermes, great question! We got lucky with a rescued Cairn Terrier before we got the Airstream bug. He’s turned out to be the perfect travel companion and camper. He loves people especially kids and gets along with other dogs.

In the truck, he will sleep on the back seat. We have a crash-tested harness which keeps him safe. He will hike with us then when we’ve had enough, take a nap. He’s perfectly happy staying in the trailer if we want to venture out on our own. We tested this by going away for an hour and when we returned, he looked up like “oh, you were gone?”

I’m sure there’s many different breeds that make great travel companions. I hope you find one a great as Mollysdad’s Molly or our Toby.

Good luck!
Jeff
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6C82FAF7-0F74-460B-A0BE-BE3557581057.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	424.4 KB
ID:	372565   Click image for larger version

Name:	0BBED2B6-0EB1-4743-98E2-507DEE342FB9.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	839.1 KB
ID:	372569  

Name:	46B6B122-FEC7-461A-A1E3-A63815F7A58A.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	427.6 KB
ID:	372570   Click image for larger version

Name:	74DF5B04-D3F3-4F76-8966-4716B064482E.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	262.2 KB
ID:	372571  

WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
jeffmc306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 01:34 PM   #6
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Yes...we Stream with a dog, we always have.
In fact a dog made us get our 1st AS. He needed a home base to Water Trial from.
33yrs later we are still at it.
Portugese Water Dog, mid-size, no shed, and can train any human they encounter.

Always in a crate when on the road, never alone or off lead in a public campground, show or trial grounds or unattended in the AS.
If he can't do it with us...we don't do it, other folks have kids.

Bob, Sandra and 'Pirate'
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	D9B9A590-1AD9-45FC-8527-900AF2C99528_1_105_c.jpeg
Views:	120
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	372573   Click image for larger version

Name:	FFCACD0E-E012-4D9B-8588-32632DE77A85_1_201_a.jpeg
Views:	137
Size:	639.6 KB
ID:	372574  

Name:	BF3C6136-F206-4157-87D6-019C0B469E7F_1_201_a.jpeg
Views:	102
Size:	690.1 KB
ID:	372575   Click image for larger version

Name:	BC267316-C644-434E-A49B-BAD6ADCC3ADA_1_201_a.jpeg
Views:	109
Size:	420.6 KB
ID:	372576  

Name:	B730B88A-D32B-4BF4-A584-8A4587389585_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	398.3 KB
ID:	372577  
Old 07-11-2020, 02:05 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Western NC , North Carolina

Besides all the obvious as pointed out above, a key question is how active are you hiking, biking, fishing etc. and do you want the dog to come with. If so then you need a larger more active dog. We chose a Bernedoodle which is larger (75 lbs) than a Portuguese Water Dog (50lbs) but similar coat and more mellow. But it’s a big dog. If you just want a lap dog different conversation but realize no where near the protection perception. I would personally avoid the dogs that have reputations as a number of places won’t want you there due to breed.

For us no shedding was key so more limited choices.

We take our dog with us whenever possible so a more active dog was part of the plan. Also can’t imagine anyone thinking about entering the trailer if he barks. It’s deep and loud.

Can’t imaging traveling without

Name:	IMG_4222.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	112.8 KB
ID:	372580
JonDNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 10:20 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California

We travel with a pack of rescues. We have traveled with as many as six, but we’re down to only four now.

A pair of Maltese, a Pomeranian/chihuahua mix and a Tibetan Terrier. They are seasoned travelers, nap in their crates in the air-conditioning in the airstream for short periods without us. We are never more that a short walk away, and one of us will check ever 30 minutes on their safety.

They seem to think the “Silver Hamshack” is a big silver doghouse.

Name:	IMG_4010.JPG
Views:	114
Size:	445.0 KB
ID:	372636
Teddy the Tibetan awaiting trick or treaters.

Name:	IMG_2213.JPG
Views:	92
Size:	403.5 KB
ID:	372637
The Maltese brothers in a typical pose.

Name:	IMG_2140.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	413.7 KB
ID:	372638
Our stealth Pomeranian/chi.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 07:15 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

New Hope , PA
We travel with three dogs. To answer some of your questions...

For short hikes or easy day trips we'll take the dogs with us.
For longer hikes or day trips we leave them in the trailer. We generally travel where it is cool during the day and have not had issues with leaving them in the trailer.

If it's a warmer day and we have electric hookup we leave the A/C on. We also have a remote camera for monitoring them (including temperature) that we hook up.

If we don't have electricity and need A/C we bring them in the car. Our car allows the A/C to run without having to idle an engine.

We have one barker and use a bark collar on her if we think she'll disturb others. Most of the time they're quiet and happy to be in the trailer

idoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 10:33 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Green Valley Lake , California
With Rocco the Rottweiler lounging under the Airstream at night, really kept the bears at bay.
Ima guess if ur boondocking that will mitigate "other people" issues. Its only when things get crowded do they get... complicated.
SouthForkAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 10:51 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2018 16' Sport
Charlotte , Vermont
[QUOTE=idoco;2382374]We travel with three dogs. To answer some of your questions...
For short hikes or easy day trips we'll take the dogs with us.
For longer hikes or day trips we leave them in the trailer. We generally travel where it is cool during the day and have not had issues with leaving them in the trailer.

If it's a warmer day and we have electric hookup we leave the A/C on. We also have a remote camera for monitoring them (including temperature) that we hook up.

If we don't have electricity and need A/C we bring them in the car. Our car allows the A/C to run without having to idle an engine.

We have one barker and use a bark collar on her if we think she'll disturb others. Most of the time they're quiet and happy to be in the trailer QUOTE]

Your dogs are so cute! I have to ask what kind of a/c do you have that lets the AC be on without the car being on and does it drain your battery a lot? (Love the sign BTW) -Kim

Kim
Charlotte, VT
2010 F-150, 5.4l, V8, 3.55; Bramble: 2018 Bambi Sport 16
farafield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 12:15 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
1993 25' Excella
Flagler Beach , Florida
part of the family....

the Bull loves the A/S.....camping short or long distance shes find,
she even likes to drive on some short trips. lol
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	photo (19).JPG
Views:	87
Size:	482.5 KB
ID:	372686   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7781.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	320.7 KB
ID:	372687  

AFTER TAXES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 12:31 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Mesquite , Nevada
Our senior Cairn terrier is good traveler. When we wanted to add a second rescue dog to our family during the lockdown all that was left in shelters were pitbulls which I know would not be welcome in many campgrounds and would put off other campers. We found and purchased another Cairn who is 14 weeks old. We leave on a long trip on Wednesday, hoping the puppy is quick to adjust...
Ken G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 01:02 PM   #14
Stay CazuaL

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
I bought NIMBLE PETAPP with their 4G version. I'm not allowed to post link to my FB group per admin. I did an extensive test to make sure it does what it suppose to do.

TEMPERATURE and LOSS OF POWER alert was critical.

PM if you want the link.

I have a Lab and Mini Dachshund now and prior I had three dogs. I don't believe there is a particular breed, it's about the dogs up brining that will determine if the dog will be a good companion.
cazual6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 01:13 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2021 25' Flying Cloud
Fredericktown , Ohio
Security - We want something that will bark and make the intruder think about another trailer. So far, so good.
Shedding - We stick with breeds that do not shed.
Training - We bought a bed for the rear seat area of our F250 and placed the dogs there. After about 2 trips the training was over. With the seats up we can have water and food available all the time.

We could not imagine traveling without our dogs. The dogs seem to enjoy the airstream.
Attached Images

WBCCI #6826
We have Year-Round Courtesy Parking.
MMCMRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 02:10 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Mohnton , Pennsylvania
We really enjoy taking our pups on the road. When we purchased our first Airstream in 2014, we had a 17 yr. old toy poodle and now have a three yr. old toy poodle ( our third). Toy poodles are compact for travel, non-shedding and overall a real joy in our lives. We’ve traveled to numerous National Parks in US and Canada and always take our fur baby. Only once did we leave our senior poodle in our trailer while hiking in Zion but we had full hookups with air conditioning running and trusted Airstream neighbors as backup plan while we we gone 3-4 hours.

Whatever breed dog you choose, I’m sure a dog will give you much joy not only camping but all their time spent with your family.
FCloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 11:44 PM   #17
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
As already stated above, traveling with one or more pets is really about behavioral training and ensuring the pets are confident with (versus fearful of) a long list of scenarios that traveling will bring their way. Canines have personalities and most prefer adventure with their 'pack' so if yours exhibit confidence without aggression and no motion sickness driving from site to site you are good to go.

As for size and breed, that too is all about matching breed and owner characteristics so both are comfortable with travel activities and variable daytime schedules. In our case, we have raised Great Danes for decades and have traveled with one or two every trip over the last 17 years. Our last pair, both recently passed, were well known by many on the forums having camped alongside others in 44 states. Combined, they weighed well over 300 pounds and provided all the campsite security we ever needed with nary a complaint by fellow campers or CG hosts.

We are on our eighth Dane now, a yearling at 115 pounds pictured in my avatar, who had just completed his travel schooling when Covid hit. He hangs out in and around the trailer in our driveway during the day now as I ready it for departure later this month. He knows it is his turf once we leave the yard and this is merely reinforcement training. Coincidentally, last Fall he romped with JohnDNC's Bernedoodle in Marion, NC.

The only time any of our pets are left alone happens when we dine at a site nearby and never when we are unhitched and leave the CG. If they aren't allowed somewhere, we either take turns dog sitting or we board them for the day.

It does help to start them young -
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Gawain Galahad as pups.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	151.4 KB
ID:	372762   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tristan & Gawain copy.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	327.1 KB
ID:	372764  

Sir Tristan
Air #48582, S/SO #003, WBCCI #4584
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 07:56 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
If it had been left up to me, I would not have a dog, but my son and wife had a baby and their love for their dog went into steep decline. Eventually, I took him in and as it turns out, I couldn't have picked a better pup for RV travel. He's an 8-pound, longhaired chihuahua that takes up very little room in the trailer or the truck. When we travel, he fits into a little travel basket that hangs from the passenger seat. I can pet, water and treat him as we travel and he gets to eye me adoringly as I drive. My biggest surprise has been that he is a good, long-distance walker in any kind of weather. When I bike, I take him along in a dog sling. He seems to really enjoy that view of the world. He's a chi so likes to be warm so when I want to hike without him, I leave the fantastic fans running, windows open and lots of water out; and he does fine. He sleeps in his bed on top of one of the twin beds and I sleep in my own bed. During the day, I move his bed to the front under the TV. He can watch me cooking from there. He yaps when anyone comes to the door which I do not discourage. He was a rescue and is suspicious of people which is problematic when they want to pet him on the leash. I always ask people to not pet him because I don't need a dog bite to complicate my life. An 8-pound dog eats small, drinks small, poops small and needs only small amounts of medications (heartworm/flea-tick) so he has not been a financial burden. When I sit outside with a book or a drink, he sits in my lap or lounges on the picnic table next to me. If I travel with other people, he quickly adopts them as part of the family, sometimes even preferring their lap to mine. He is independent but loyal, can be stubborn and is a foodie, so I have to watch his weight and treats so he doesn't get fat. We're really perfect for each other. Good luck in your choice!
P.S. I live in a small condo so he 'fits' there as well.
PatLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 10:41 AM   #19
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
You have to LOVE Chihuahua's 😂

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 07-13-2020, 10:44 AM   #20
Streamliner

2006 19' Safari SE
Santee , California
Searching

Speaking of dogs, my wife and I traveled for many years with a golden retriever, with no problems. That said, my great companion (my dog) has passed on ( he was 14 1/2) and now we’re looking for a new travel partner. Since shedding can be somewhat of an issue, we’re searching for a Golden-doodle. If anyone out their knows of a good breeder or of any that might be available, feel free to message me. We live in San Diego but are willing to travel. We’re looking for puppy to 1 or 2 year old. We sure miss traveling with a loyal pet.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	C56CB00A-D909-4856-BCED-F2BADEFF28DD.jpeg
Views:	78
Size:	327.0 KB
ID:	372783