Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > The Pet Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-14-2020, 04:50 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2018 16' Sport
Charlotte , Vermont
I have always had dogs but I have not always Airstreamed, in fact that is quite a new thing. My two current canines are not suitable for 'streaming. One is a collie who would be perfect except for the fact that she doesn't like riding in the car. I think that is a collie thing. My newer dog is a rescue from TN. She walks and talks like a chocolate lab--I thought that's what I was getting and I've had several labs--but she has got a good amount of hound in there. She is just way too hyper to live the campground life. She needs to run off leash and she does not play well with others. Someone mentioned golden doodles. Every doodle I've seen has been pretty hyper although my new neighbors say they have one that is very quiet. If you are not camping OTG where your dog can run off leash, please don't get a dog that is going to go crazy being confined and on a leash all the time. That will come back to bite you in the form of unwanted behavior. At some point, I am going on a big trip and I am listening to the experienced ones here. Likes to travel in the car, doesn't bark too much, not aggressive with other dogs, and most importantly, in my mind, doesn't require daily (or multi-daily) running free seem to be the key factors for a good 'streaming pup.

Kim
Charlotte, VT
2010 F-150, 5.4l, V8, 3.55; Bramble: 2018 Bambi Sport 16
farafield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 11:06 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2018 26' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Travel with dogs

We have always traveled with two dogs. One that does not shed and one that does. One for lap and one for protection. The protection one is a big fluffy Keeshond but they are rare and look dangerous so people stay away. We put them in crates in the truck. They love the AS. We leave AC on for them if we are gone. They love walks etc. The big one will bark if you come near the AS. They travel very well. I vacuum daily with a little sharp vac. Keeps dog hair, twigs dirt etc down. It takes about 5 min.
P and Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 11:48 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

1991 32' Excella
1999 25' Safari
High Ridge , Missouri
when we go out for the day, just a few hours, the dogs stay behind and nap. My wife likes to keep our campsite and information that we have dogs staying in our AS, just in case something happens to us. It might be over kill but they are her babies.
Blomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 12:49 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lake George , Colorado
We usually travel with two or three dogs, and really don't make any special arrangements. I don't mean to overstate this, but we think of ourselves as a bit of a pack. We are the leaders of it of course and the pack follows us. In the camper find place they like to bed down and that is fine with us, as long as it's not on our bed. We have never had a barking problem. They seem to understand they don't go to the bathroom in the camper. We could not live without them. on the other hand, we sacrifice, has every pet owner does, a lot. You don't go to Disneyland for 8 or 10 hours. You can't always find a good boarding place and so you just don't do all the things you otherwise would do. But we find them to be more than worth the little bit we have to give up
2MileHi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 01:02 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Mesa , Arizona
We travel with Bruno the Terrible! A rambunctious 11 1/2 pound Shih Tzu. Not a lot of protection, but a lot of companionship. No problems at any campgrounds or when boondocking. He is never off leash.
Moodywelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 01:19 PM   #26
Everyday is a GIFT !!

2015 30' Classic
Collins , Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to Nelson428
My dog’s name is Walter and if the weather is stormy out he let’s me stay in his silver dog house [emoji12]

Of course I have to do all the driving.

Click image for larger version

Name:	56865581525__23E0826B-D98F-40E1-9F9F-0F3CA1B2357C.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	589.9 KB
ID:	373317Click image for larger version

Name:	Adjustments.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	181.4 KB
ID:	373318Attachment 1
AirForums # 66116
Nelson428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 01:28 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Bozman , Maryland
We had a big Golden Retriever, who was a super mellow dog. Not aggressive to other people or animals (including cats!). He rode happily behind the front seats in our crew cab, with the rear seat bottoms folded up. This gave him the entire floor, and when he stood up, he could just get his nose out the window. We took him just about everywhere, including on hikes. One thing to remember is if you take your dog hiking, be sure and take a canteen and collapsible bowl. Dogs get rid of excess heat by panting, not by sweating. You’d be amazed at how much water he would need, even in mild temperatures. He was not a barker, although if someone disturbed the outside of the trailer while he was inside, he’d let out a nice “big dog “ bark. He died of cancer at the age of 10 1/2 this spring, and we miss him greatly. One drawback to Goldens is that over 60% of US Goldens get cancer, perhaps because of inbreeding. Whereas they used to live to age 13-14, now it’s more like 11-12. A number of breeders are importing dogs from Europe and breeding them here. Only about 30% of Goldens in the UK get cancer, and their average lifespan is longer.
DC Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 01:51 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Traverse City , Michigan
We’ve travelled with a lab (125 lb), a standard golden doodle (125 lb), a cock-a-poo, and now a Portuguese Water Dog. First be aware that most parks do not allow Rotties, German Shepherds, Pit Bulls, or Dobermans. Sadly they have a reputation. Biggest suggestions include try to get a no or low shedder. Hair everywhere in an RV is work. When we had our lab we had to run the sweeper daily. The others don’t shed. Size depends on your age, strength etc. All dogs pull at some point and may, due to injury or illness, have to be carried at some point. Start with a trainer immediately so they know all commands. Take them for rides from day one. Take them camping from day one. Take their license and a copy of all vaccinations everywhere you go. That way you’re prepared for a vet in a new area or border crossings. We start taking our dogs to “day care” right away. When we travel we look for one with great recommendations and visit it before we leave the dog. Yes, we leave him for short periods but no more than 4 hours ever. As far as security, they bark and that’s all you need, a warning. Do not leave the animal in a hot trailer unless you have a dog protector heat detector that will tell you what the temp in the trailer is. There are many on the market. Even if AC is running leave a window cracked just in case. Close drapes on the sun side.
I may have forgotten something but they’ll love traveling and camping. Ours goes wild when he see the Airstream in the driveway. Happy travels. There’s a reason Steinbeck wrote “Travels with Charlie”.
Old 07-19-2020, 02:26 PM   #29
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
woo-whoop...PWD's with the breed since '88.

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2A6CF66A-2017-4ED6-9291-96AE13A88796_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	445.7 KB
ID:	373324   Click image for larger version

Name:	91423771-77E4-45BB-A262-D825BD3FD05F_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	393.7 KB
ID:	373327  

Name:	54DFE7A7-5741-436E-8C44-EAFFAFA653F3.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	352.6 KB
ID:	373328   Click image for larger version

Name:	779F4EB2-ABDE-430B-A62D-6716AD916940_1_201_a.jpeg
Views:	48
Size:	822.7 KB
ID:	373329  

Old 07-19-2020, 03:04 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
2004 30' Classic
1972 Argosy 22
Meridian , Idaho

Travel Dogs

One thing you might have picked up on is that many of the dogs mentioned are rescue's. Definitely the way to go.
We have traveled with dogs since we started RV'ing in the 70's. Currently we have a cranky 9 year old Pomeranian and a 2 year old Boxer. Both are rescues. The Boxer is the better traveler. She is mellow and socialable with everyone or thing. Except squirrels.
Because we work at the International Rally's we spend a fair amount of time away. Both dogs are ok with it. One of us stops by every so often to check on them and give them a chance to go out.
Cranky means he barks more than he needs to. Otherwise everyone that visits is there to entertain the dogs. The upholstery in our "18 Classic has proved to be very durable.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190601_095922.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	165.0 KB
ID:	373341   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190621_075055.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	134.6 KB
ID:	373342  

Name:	20190628_095846.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	158.8 KB
ID:	373343  
cbburke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 11:24 AM   #31
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Lake wales , Florida
I don't go anywhere with
Out my big chihuahua and a chiweenie. Being small makes it easy to clean up their mess. I leave mine in the trailer when I go where they can't but I have recorded to see if the bark constantly. Which they don't thank goodness.

I had a major problem a couple of years ago. I got so sick I had to call the ambulance to come get me. I had to leave them. Fortunately, a good friend at that time drove up to where I was and took care of my dogs. Which brings up an important problem that I yet to solve. Anyone else have any ideas?

The only other problem I have had is people bringing Pitbulls to the campground. You have to be vigilant at all times and have a way to protect yourself and your dog. Even big ones. A pitbull attacked and poodle one day and was there. It is almost impossible to get them to let go. I managed to use a makeshift break stick to pry it's mouth open. The better informed you are the better chance you have to survive. The poodle had to have three surgeries but survived. He is not the same mentally. But that is another story. Just be aware. PS. I run the air conditioner for them.
coolbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 11:31 AM   #32
3 Rivet Member

2021 25' Globetrotter
Cleveland , Ohio
Camp dog. We can’t even head to the car now without him getting excited.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	9C45CA31-DC1C-4C78-A849-91D2A6CAFAA6.jpeg
Views:	55
Size:	370.0 KB
ID:	373410  
matthewk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 11:43 AM   #33
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbabe View Post
I don't go anywhere with
Out my big chihuahua and a chiweenie..
Would it be to risqué to ask for a photo of your "chiweenie"?

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 07-20-2020, 11:50 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbabe View Post
I don't go anywhere with
Out my big chihuahua and a chiweenie. Being small makes it easy to clean up their mess. I leave mine in the trailer when I go where they can't but I have recorded to see if the bark constantly. Which they don't thank goodness.

I had a major problem a couple of years ago. I got so sick I had to call the ambulance to come get me. I had to leave them. Fortunately, a good friend at that time drove up to where I was and took care of my dogs. Which brings up an important problem that I yet to solve. Anyone else have any ideas?

The only other problem I have had is people bringing Pitbulls to the campground. You have to be vigilant at all times and have a way to protect yourself and your dog. Even big ones. A pitbull attacked and poodle one day and was there. It is almost impossible to get them to let go. I managed to use a makeshift break stick to pry it's mouth open. The better informed you are the better chance you have to survive. The poodle had to have three surgeries but survived. He is not the same mentally. But that is another story. Just be aware. PS. I run the air conditioner for them.
I carry a card in my wallet, behind my drivers license, saying I have a dog needing care. I ordered it online somewhere. All critical information is behind my drivers license, which at figure in an emergency is where first responders would go first.

Lily was attacked by a pit bull last year, and it was the most terrifying experience of my life.

Fortunately, someone else was present to help get her off Lily or one or both of the dogs would have likely died. Lily had several deep bites, chunks of fur missing and scrapes on her neck where the pit tried but was unable because of her collar to get a death grip on her neck.

Those who have pits don’t like the stereotype, but their breeding is a huge factor and in my opinion they are unpredictable to the point I will never be close to one again nor allow my dog close to one.

Putting a stick between their jaws is one way to get them unlocked, I have also been told to take hold of both hind legs and lift them off the ground, but feel sure the pit would then turn and attack whoever did this.

Just stay away from them is my plan, period

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	64516CED-93DC-4860-9188-47E4352FC484.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	229.6 KB
ID:	373418  
Old 07-20-2020, 12:36 PM   #35
Everyday is a GIFT !!

2015 30' Classic
Collins , Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to Nelson428
Maggie,

I keep my service card in the phone case as well as the electronic copy. I also have a scanner app where I scan all paper documents and keep a paper copy in the glove box.

Referring to pit bulls they are FAST and a SEROUS risk when not properly trained and maintained. I am always alert for them. Walter and I were attacked by two a few months ago. I never figured out if it was Walter or me they were after. He stayed at the vet two nights getting tubes and stitches and I spent the afternoon at my Dr. getting Rx as a precaution. We both recovered but as you say TERRIFYING is a mild term to describe the experience. To keep a long story short we now walk better prepared and more alert.
AirForums # 66116
Nelson428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 07:03 PM   #36
1 Rivet Member

2010 23' FB Flying Cloud
Poulsbo , WA
Airedales

What self-respecting Airstream owner wouldn't have Airedales? The best! No shedding, great travelers, great protectors, well behaved, and smart!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	rps20200720_175551.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	172.0 KB
ID:	373474  
Larry_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 10:15 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
So, we travel with two Labradors. Both Certified Therapy Dogs and one a Certified Tracking SAR, mainly for my amusement and training as I train all kinds of dogs, but mainly dogs used in fighting rings who are turned in by police to a rescue I volunteer at.

We leave our dogs in our Airstream when we go out someplace. If at a rally with or with other AS we ask a neighbor to watch the trailer. We also have a "office nameplate type sign" I slide in a sign that reads in case of emergency please save our dogs and my cell numbers.

In addition I have Arlo cameras set up at our home and used to have at a place we had in FL and took one of the now not used FL cameras and connect to our Ipad hotspot when we leave. The camera is position in such a way as to look toward the front of the AS and the door as well as a thermometer placed on the dining table. That way I can see the dogs, see the door and see the temperature. All my cameras connected cost $10.00 a month, including the AS one when I use it. We don't go for more than four hours, and if we have no cell service to create a hot spot we do not leave the dogs.

We both carry wallet cards, one for when we are at our home, which gives our home number and contact of our adult kids who live close by. Then another which has multiple copies and we fill in which campground the dogs are at and again the contact numbers of our kids back at thier homes. Working in dog rescue for years I've seen many dogs picked up some of whom we eventually got back to the true owners which escaped from cars during accidents. We often think they will stay near us, they most often do not, they run and then get lost.

That's about it, pretty simple and it works for us and has for a while

Bud
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 01:03 PM   #38
Trilla the Traveling Tube

2018 22' Sport
Dayton , Wyoming
Smile

Here is a couple of pictures of our "Chiweenie" Gunther, and one of both Gunther and our doxie Bailey.

Both are rescues and had their first camping trip last week - they were perfect little campers!

We were a bit worried about Bailey as she's a barker at home. At the campground however she was so quiet I was worried there was something wrong with her. After watching everyone else at the campground with their well behaved pets, we realized that both of our dogs were comfortable as everyone around us were very calm and in control....bottom line, we heard very little barking.

When we arrived home of course Bailey went back to her normal barking at everything that moved, but also realized our neighbor's dogs are dysfunctional and that's why she barks at them all of the time.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Gunther.jpeg
Views:	49
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	374148   Click image for larger version

Name:	0503201016a (2).jpg
Views:	59
Size:	218.8 KB
ID:	374149  

kpfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 01:50 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
1972 21' Globetrotter
SW , Missouri
Dogs were bred for a specific purpose. Some dogs were bred to hang around the farm and chase the livestock and round em up, they also chase and bite bad guys. Those are handy features in a farm dog. Those are traits that were specifically sought for, for thousands of years of breading. Make sure they are traits you want. German Shepherds and Austrailian cattle dogs are a couple of examples. Personally a dog bread to chase away bad guys is not something I want in a campground. Most people will have way more fun giving away some yellow lab therapy than continually explaining to the guard dog that those people are allowed to walk on that road.
Peter417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 06:22 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2023 27' Globetrotter
Winder , Georgia
We have a GSP. (German Shorthair Pointer). These dogs have a reputation of being hyper, wide open and not suited for confined spaces. When we are home, she loves to run on our 15 acres. That’s the place for it. When inside our home or camping, she knows it’s a different environment and she behaves accordingly because that’s what she has been trained to do. She rides in the truck without a peep, and has her spot in the trailer. When outside, we have her on a lead tied to the picnic table and she never leaves the area in front of the trailer and never barks or bothers anyone. This takes work and trust between dog and owner.
Hanging out in the campsite with dogs is enjoyable, but I think if you are going to be out on excursions for extended periods, its best not to bring them.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	99C53122-C8D5-48C6-B438-36C86A366294.jpeg
Views:	44
Size:	161.2 KB
ID:	390855  
Bcc75 is offline   Reply With Quote