Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > The Pet Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-26-2017, 09:24 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
2023 28' Pottery Barn
Brighton , Michigan
Leaving the engine running

We are newbies (five times out). It is unseasonably warm in the north and we are traveling with our dog. I see quite of you seasoned RVers leave the engine running, with the AC running when dining in a local eatery for about an hour or less. My husband is nervous to do this in our 2015 F150. Is there a chance this is hard/bad on the engine?
KatMacz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 10:33 AM   #2
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMacz View Post
We are newbies (five times out). It is unseasonably warm in the north and we are traveling with our dog. I see quite of you seasoned RVers leave the engine running, with the AC running when dining in a local eatery for about an hour or less. My husband is nervous to do this in our 2015 F150. Is there a chance this is hard/bad on the engine?
It isn't very good for the engine, but occasional extended idling isn't going to damage anything for the number of times you are likely to do it.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 10:37 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
2023 28' Pottery Barn
Brighton , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl View Post
It isn't very good for the engine, but occasional extended idling isn't going to damage anything for the number of times you are likely to do it.

Thank you.
KatMacz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 10:45 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMacz View Post
Never ever. Sorry to be the dissenting vote. The catalyst and turbos on these engines stay very hot and I would never ever leave a dog or human inside a running car. Too much can happen. Especially on grass. Fought enough vehicle fires that I won't even nap inside a car with a tank of gasoline attached. Until recently I wouldn't even park inside my attached garage, shut off, without disconnecting the battery.

Police vehicles are sometimes equipped with an automatic door opener to protect canines that must be left in the car, because engines can stall or run out of fuel.

Diesel may be another story.
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 10:52 AM   #5

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Living in Texas, we do this all the time when we travel with the dog in the summer. I don't usually let it sit around idling for an hour, but often for shorter 10-20 minute stints while going in for the bathroom or to pick something up in the convenience store after filling up, etc. As mentioned above, extended idling isn't beneficial to the vehicle but using it occasionally isn't going to cost you much. It gave me new appreciation for Ford's keyless entry keypad, too, though there are other ways to make it work if you don't have that, and newer pushbutton-start vehicles make it even easier though my new truck honks at me when I close the door from outside with the key in my pocket.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 10:55 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Personally, I never leave dogs alone in any vehicle with the engine running. Its too easy for some thief to punch out a window, release the dogs, and drive off with your vehicle.

If we are out in hot weather with the dogs on a trip, I will let the rig idle, dogs in their crates or harnesses, with a human on board as safety watch, while one of us goes to get take-out food...then we eat in the truck. The dogs generally have enough manners to let us eat in peace.

If the weather is cool enough to keep the AS comfortable with just fans running, the rig is parked in the shade, AS window open to get fresh air, and the truck is locked and alarmed. Dogs are in their crates in the AS for a short period. Cool enough is air temperature less than 80, with reasonable humidity.

My current upgrade is to set up a propane-powered generator in the truck bed, add a front power inlet, and set up to run that genset for brief periods to keep the air running. I would still have a human in attendance while the dogs are in the cooled trailer...so takeout would be consumed in the trailer...dog manners enforced by the crates.

Pets (furkids) are members of our family--I would not leave a small child in a running truck under any circumstances while wife and I ate in a restaurant...its flat not worth the risk of air conditioning failure, a fire, or theft...its not about the engine or the vehicles!
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 11:07 AM   #7
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
I responded above about the mechanical issues related to extended idling. Short version: Not good for the engine, but a few times isn't going to kill it.

Don't have dogs, assume they would be restrained, but don't really have an opinion on that aspect.

I would never leave a child inside a running unattended vehicle, locked or not.

Our history with this isn't high ambient temperatures, but rather parking outside at -40 and below. The rule with rental cars north of 60 was that if you were worried if they would start in the morning, don't shut them off. You had two keys for that reason. Same with our own vehicles in the supermarket lot. Somebody could have broken in and stolen the car that was idling, but there were 10 more parked right beside it also idling, and unless you had valuables showing on the front seat you were pretty safe.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 11:48 AM   #8
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs down

Human or Dog aside....

I would NEVER leave a running vehicle un-attended.
Remember how much they love you

Open the windows & park where you can see the vehicle, take-out or eat in shifts, we have done all three.

Bob
Old 09-26-2017, 11:56 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Illegal in some states

Here are states where it is illegal to leave a pet unattended in a car, or can be, illegal, depending on the temperature. In Kentucky, while not illegal, I know that in many locations people will call 911 if they see an unattended pet in a hot car.

http://blog.gopetfriendly.com/is-it-...ne-in-the-car/

In many states it's illegal to leave your car idling, even in your own driveway. There was a story about someone in Michigan that was cited for warming up their car. Here's the list:

http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/life...r-idling-laws/
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 12:01 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
If your F150 has a keyless ignition then it has an automatic idle limiter that will shut down the engine after it's been idling unattended for a given period. I can't find a reference to exactly how long but I suspect it's a lot less than an hour. If that should happen on a hot day with your dog in the truck the results could be tragic.

That aside, there are many good reasons why a vehicle should not be left running and unattended for an extended period, especially with an animal or child inside. FWIW, I would never do it.

From the 2017 Ford F150 owner's manual:

Automatic Engine Shutdown
If your vehicle is equipped with a keyless
ignition, it has a feature that automatically
shuts down the engine if it has been idling
for an extended period. The ignition also
turns off in order to save battery power.
Before the engine shuts down, a message
appears in the information display showing
a timer counting down from 30 seconds.
If you do not intervene within 30 seconds,
the engine shuts down. Another message
appears in the information display to
inform you that the engine has shut down
in order to save fuel. Start your vehicle as
you normally do.

2020 25' Globetrotter Twin | 2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali Ult. 4x4 Duramax
400Ah Battle Born lithium battery string | 580W solar (400W roof 180W portable)
mikeinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 12:53 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
We plan ahead and don't eat out much, but we occasionally do if we can find a dog friendly restaurant with outside seating in the shade.

https://www.bringfido.com/restaurant/
Old 09-26-2017, 01:28 PM   #12

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeinca View Post
If your F150 has a keyless ignition then it has an automatic idle limiter that will shut down the engine after it's been idling unattended for a given period. I can't find a reference to exactly how long but I suspect it's a lot less than an hour. If that should happen on a hot day with your dog in the truck the results could be tragic.

That aside, there are many good reasons why a vehicle should not be left running and unattended for an extended period, especially with an animal or child inside. FWIW, I would never do it.

From the 2017 Ford F150 owner's manual:

Automatic Engine Shutdown
If your vehicle is equipped with a keyless
ignition, it has a feature that automatically
shuts down the engine if it has been idling
for an extended period. The ignition also
turns off in order to save battery power.
Before the engine shuts down, a message
appears in the information display showing
a timer counting down from 30 seconds.
If you do not intervene within 30 seconds,
the engine shuts down. Another message
appears in the information display to
inform you that the engine has shut down
in order to save fuel. Start your vehicle as
you normally do.
In a note in the manual lower down is says the time is 30 minutes.

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
Old 09-26-2017, 02:18 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post
Until recently I wouldn't even park inside my attached garage, shut off, without disconnecting the battery.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 02:39 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post

It may be programmable, but our 2017 F150 shuts off after 10 minutes.
Landrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 03:08 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
I went straight to google, Should have just kept reading. Thanks.

2020 25' Globetrotter Twin | 2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali Ult. 4x4 Duramax
400Ah Battle Born lithium battery string | 580W solar (400W roof 180W portable)
mikeinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 03:22 PM   #16

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landrum View Post
It may be programmable, but our 2017 F150 shuts off after 10 minutes.
You may be thinking of the timeout for the remote-start run cycle rather than just leaving it running after having started it from inside the vehicle. I think the default timeout for remote start is 10 minutes, with the option to set it to 5 or 15 from a menu.

Old 09-27-2017, 12:40 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1991 35' Airstream 350
Beachburg , Ontario
Quote:
Never ever. Sorry to be the dissenting vote. The catalyst and turbos on these engines stay very hot and I would never ever leave a dog or human inside a running car. Too much can happen. Especially on grass. Fought enough vehicle fires that I won't even nap inside a car with a tank of gasoline attached. Until recently I wouldn't even park inside my attached garage, shut off, without disconnecting the battery.

Police vehicles are sometimes equipped with an automatic door opener to protect canines that must be left in the car, because engines can stall or run out of fuel.

Diesel may be another story.
WOW is all I will say
Old 09-27-2017, 12:53 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Frequently we find the inside the Airstream, with both roof vents opened and fans running, it is very comfortable, when inside the tow vehicle the solar gain through windows is what's causing the dangerous temperature. Obviously not when the air temp is also very high.

The AKC sells a collar that uses cell service to track your dog if lost and gives the temperature. It sends you cell phone an alarm if it reaches a certain temp.
Old 09-27-2017, 06:02 PM   #19
Stay CazuaL

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
I do it every now and then. Not for an hour, usually a lot less. Heck I do it while in the car nevermind the dog. Understandable being overly cautions, but my car is well maintained and serviced as needed.
*Virtual campfire at https://www.facebook.com/groups/Airs...dictsforAdults
cazual6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 08:37 PM   #20
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Until recently I wouldn't even park inside my attached garage, shut off, without disconnecting the battery.
Ford actually recommended that you park your vehicle outside and away from any structure if it was on one of the recall lists for 1. faulty ignition switch that can start fire or 2. faulty brake pressure switch that can start fire until you have had the repairs done. It was printed right on the recall notice I received in the mail.