Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > The Pet Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-07-2016, 06:38 PM   #1
Living Riveted

2014 19' Flying Cloud
Carnegie , Pennsylvania
Leave dog inside with AC?

Going on a beach trip this summer and concerned about leaving my dog in the airstream in case the air conditioning stopped working. It's a 2014 flying cloud, but I'm still nervous about it and leaning toward finding a sitter for my dog instead. Anyone have thoughts or experience with this?
Arnoldjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 06:42 PM   #2
Amg
3 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
Yes, get a temperature monitoring system. I have a temperature alert brand that will call, text message, and email me if the temperature goes above the what I set it. You can also view the temperature on their website. It runs on A/C or battery.
Amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 06:48 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
Please get a temperature monitor system on the cell network. For only $99 a year you can ensure your pet is in a healthy environment:

http://www.protectedhome.com/marcell...-209-l-en.html
Zybane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 07:01 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I wouldn't do it.

Power can fail, gadgets can fail, and your dog could die.

I wouldn't leave Lily alone and unattended in my rig for any extended period of time, regardless of the weather.

Maggie
Old 06-07-2016, 07:27 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
We only leave our pups in the AS parked in the shade in cool weather, where an open window and two fantastic fans running keep the AS cool enough. If that's not possible, the dogs are in the TV, with dash AC running, with a responsible adult human aboard the entire time. Won't leave the doggies in s running vehicle alone either. Too much to go wrong.

It sometimes makes mealtimes for the humans a take-out PITA, but dogs can overheat too quickly--faster than humans, with very devastating results. We don't take the chance with dogs or people.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 07:31 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Oh yeah, and the last time wife and I went on a vacation including Disney World, the boarding cost for our little traveling pack was much more than the Disney trip, and we felt it was well worth the peace of mind.

Disney was a lot of fun, but returning to pick up our pack of doggies in good condition was priceless.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 07:33 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Power fails and it won't take long for the heat to rise to a fatal level. Find a loco
Dog daycare while you go on excursions, or bring the dog with. If that won't work, leave the pup at home with a sitter.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 07:40 PM   #8
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
We leave doggie home since we work when we travel. It would not be fair to doggy and parks all have rules that do not allow you to leave doggy alone. As lovely and cute as they are, most tend to bark a lot when mom and dad are gone for the day,
2001 Teardrop, Mountain Hardware Tent
For some perfection takes a little longer...
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 07:40 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1960 24' Tradewind
St. Albans , Vermont
Too much of a risk in my opinion. Saw a heat stroke death of a pug last week..... Very sad. As a veterinarian, I cannot advocate a dog unsupervised in any vehicle.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 06-07-2016, 07:47 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Even at home at least once a week Daisy goes to our local Camp Bow Wow to blow off some steam with her pup friends. Some camping trips are perfect for her to join with us, other times not so much so for those trips, she camps at Bow Wow while we camp elsewhere.

On those times she goes camping with us but a particular activity isn't suited for her, we will seek out a local Camp Bow Wow (weeks in advance) or other such service. She's accustomed to playing with her friends and is supervised so we really don't worry.

Of course anything can go wrong any time, but we feel more confident with this approach. Even with good warning devices In your trailer, there's just too much that can get out of control too fast. Especially if it's hot - more likely the campground will have lower voltage, AC will fail and it can honestly be a matter of minutes before it gets uncomfortable and not too long thereafter where it could be life threatening.

Another option we've considered (but not done yet) is to pay a responsible niece to travel with us and dog sit while we're gone.

Personally, I wouldn't recommend leaving your pooch in the trailer. Good luck!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 07:53 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Cookeville , Tennessee
I know people that have reworded their fans so in the event of a power failure to fans will open and circulate air.
tcrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 08:06 PM   #12
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
The thought never crossed my mind.

Sir Tristan
Air #48582, S/SO #003, WBCCI #4584
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 06:48 AM   #13
Amg
3 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
I wouldn't do it.

Power can fail, gadgets can fail, and your dog could die.

I wouldn't leave Lily alone and unattended in my rig for any extended period of time, regardless of the weather.

Maggie
I also would not leave my dog unattended for any extended period. First my system will alert me if the A/C power goes off. So that is not an issue. I am never more then ten minutes away from the coach. Finally every five minutes I remotely monitor the temperature.

In my case I don't have the option of boarding my dog because of a compromised immunity system. . It is really a matter of common sense in the monitoring and not being far away from the coach.
Amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 07:01 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
I'd not leave my dog alone in the summer, or anywhere where AC is needed to keep him alive, ever. Now if you're camping in the mountains in the fall where daytime temps get to the upper 50's then that's a judgement call, mostly on how your dog behaves in you absence and campground rules. I think AC is too unreliable.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 07:05 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Crystal River , Florida
Since I got a dog, now dogs, I never leave them alone. I take them everywhere I go. If the dogs can't go, neither can I. It has been a major adjustment to my lifestyle and many people find my actions hard to understand, but it works for me, and them. In my case my anxiety from leaving them in the RV would preclude any enjoyment of my dogless freedom. It's a big price to pay but I get much more in return.
brokeboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 07:43 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
There is a Forums member who was out hunting in the woods, and returned to his trailer to find it had burned to the ground....with his dog inside.

The very thought of that makes me ill.

In decent weather, and a regular campground rather than out in the boonies, leaving them is a little less risky if you have a tag on the outside alerting neighbors and first responders that there is a pet inside.

But still:....I consider Lily as needing only slightly less care than one of my grandchildren.

Maggie
Old 06-08-2016, 08:52 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
We've left our dog in our Casita and Airstream with A/C on while on day hikes for a few hours at a time when camped. We had to leave her under the A/C last June in Zion while we hiked. In Glacier we've left her the whole day once and most days we were gone at least half the day. No cell service for monitors in Glacier. She's never been left in a kennel and there is no one to watch her so we have to do this.

I guess anything could happen while we are away but then it would mean us being stuck at the campsite restricted in our activities.

Sophie is 13 now and when she passes we don't expect to get another dog. Too many restrictions and expenses.
Old 06-08-2016, 09:06 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
My thoughts: don't do it. Beach is not worth it.

Have left the dog in the trailer with the AC running. But left the fantastic fan on and running, a non powered vent open, and and a couple of windows open at the same time. Figured the fan and windows would keep him alive. AC makes the floor more comfortable. Still was worry some.

Temp monitoring might help. But if you are away you are away. What if the temp is going up and you can not get right back to deal with it?
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 09:07 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
I would elect for a doggie day care....let them have a mini-vacation too
Old 06-08-2016, 09:34 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

houston , Texas
We leave our dogs in the trailer all the time, but I'm ALWAYS concerned about all issues mentioned...... I'm constantly thinking about going back.

In the dead heat of summer, I'm quite averse to it. I can't tell you how many times campground power has gone out. I should start getting them used to doggie day care... that makes so much better sense.