Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > The Pet Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-25-2018, 10:42 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

Grants Pass , Oregon
I love hearing about how people make it work!
Now I just need an Airstream
shadesohippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 10:26 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
Vintage Kin Owner
Bad Axe , Michigan
Our dogs sleep on the couch all the time. Our six year old ultra leather still looks like new. We lived in ours full time for a couple of months with 3 dogs and a parrot. I LOVE the ultra leather.
Click image for larger version

Name:	3couch.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	315626
1977 31' International Sovereign - sold
2012 Ford F250 Superduty Crewcab

WBCCI# 1007 Air#2158
dkrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 11:05 AM   #23
Sam and her wheelman Zeke

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Northern , Illinois
It WILL scratch

I didn't think the upholstery "leather" would scratch, the salesperson scraped it with a fork and there was no mark left. So I was not worried about our two retrievers. We traveled for many miles and many months and then all of a sudden, dog nail scratch marks appeared. So it WILL scratch. It is not noticeable in our case, you have to turn it so the light hits it a certain way. Still, I made covers. I also did this because I find that pebbled surface difficult to clean. I can just toss the covers in the washing machine.

2018 RAM Limited 2500 Diesel 4x4 Crew Cab and RAM boxes
upnorththree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 11:20 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
The ultra leather is surprisingly durable. After 12 years and thousands of miles traveling with two 100 lb Labradors, the sofa still looks new and no scratches or punctures. I lay down a piece of cowhide or a sheepskin on the surface for the dogs to lay on though.
Old 07-01-2018, 11:45 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
2015 20' Flying Cloud
Port Townsend , Washington
Juno

Juno loves the leather with or without a blanket. From Atlantic to Pacfic, Alaska to Utah and onto Newfoundland and it still looks as good as new.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DB8E4992-FA1F-4DE5-88C2-CDED843B9EE8.jpeg
Views:	106
Size:	132.2 KB
ID:	315642  
Ray Graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 12:31 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Lake Havasu City , Arizona
It's good to hear that Ultraleather is so durable, even with large dogs. Here's another idea, for those who prefer not to let their pets on the couch in the first place. Within a little over a week, the "ScatMat" I bought last month completely cured my cat of jumping up on the dinette and kitchen counter. When stepped on, it gives an unpleasant but not painful tingle.

After a week or so of alternately leaving the mat out on the table and the counter, she stopped even trying to jump up—something she used to do the instant I turned my back. I thought I’d never get her to stop, but this gadget did it. ScatMats come in various shapes and sizes from 30" x 16" to 60" x 12", so you can cover almost any area.
Paprika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 04:58 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2001 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel 300 hp w/slide
Woodbury , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadesohippy View Post
Hi all,
The Airstreams we've been looking at have this amazingly soft leather on all the cushions. I can't wait to lounge atop these buttery soft cushions, coffee in hand gazing out at amazing vistas through wrap around windows.

We have two large dogs, I know AS says these are durable, but probably not against 200lbs of dog durable. With limited space I don't know how logical the "No dogs on the couch rule is" besides, I like to cuddle my dogs. How do you protect your seats? Throw blankets over everything? How durable is the upholstery really?
The best way to protect leather upholstery from canines is to keep their nails cut short and to use a nail grinder (a Dremel will do) to smooth the rough edges. It may take several weeks to whittle the toenails down if they've gotten long, but it's worth the effort to avoid cutting the quick, since doing so will tend to make even a creampuff dog run for the hills when you pick up the nail clippers. Using some sort of washable covers or throws after the pedicures will help to keep your AS from acquiring that Eau de Chein fragrance.
windfallsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 09:08 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by windfallsp View Post
The best way to protect leather upholstery from canines is to keep their nails cut short and to use a nail grinder (a Dremel will do) to smooth the rough edges. It may take several weeks to whittle the toenails down if they've gotten long, but it's worth the effort to avoid cutting the quick, since doing so will tend to make even a creampuff dog run for the hills when you pick up the nail clippers. Using some sort of washable covers or throws after the pedicures will help to keep your AS from acquiring that Eau de Chein fragrance.
The nail grinder is a good idea, though we haven't went that direction yet. We use the clippers (carefully) along with a peanut butter anesthetic applied to the other end of the dog.

Neither of my pups seem to mind anything I do, as long as they have access to a spoonful of peanut butter while I'm doing it.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Airstream Forums mobile app
TheGreatleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 07:26 AM   #29
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Southwestern Ontario , Ontario Canada
Send a message via MSN to TRIPPPIN Send a message via Yahoo to TRIPPPIN
Ultra Leather is not leather

Don't worry Ultra leather is not leather. It is vinyl and can be treated like any vinyl product. It can get wet and it doesn't breathe. I personally hate the stuff as it makes me sweat sitting or sleeping on it. I think it should not be permitted to use the word leather describing this product.
TRIPPPIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 11:38 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

2017 20' Flying Cloud
Appleton , Wisconsin
I buy fleecy material on the bolt, someplace like Walmart, Hobby Lobby, etc. and double it over, tucking it into where the side and seat cushions meet, and under the seat cushion. This protects the seat material from being punctured by big dog nails, and she likes looking out the window from a cushy spot. The fleecy material is washable too.
Darby Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 12:09 AM   #31
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Are we the only hard-hearted dog owners here?

Toby is a 90-lb. love sponge, but he just isn't allowed on the bed or furniture. He sheds a lot, and is apt to have dirty feet. At home he sleeps anywhere on the floor except in our bedroom, or on a folded quilt by the woodstove; but in the Bambi, he voluntarily decided to sleep under the dinette table. When we have to leave him alone (for short periods, naturally,) we might put some things on the bed to discourage him from jumping up.

I think there are some good ideas here for folks who feel differently, like putting covers on any furniture where the dog is allowed. Or just teaching the dog that different standards apply at home and away.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 12:20 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Different dogs have to be handled different ways. They also need to listen and obey their owners. That said some can get ‘creative ‘ when the want to. Daughter fell asleep, and Titus, a 155 pound lapdog saw an opportunity. Daughter slept blissfully on...

Name:	IMG_0426.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	676.4 KB
ID:	315993
When he settled, she fell over on him, and he froze in place so he wouldn’t hurt her. Three hour nap, and dog never even twitched a muscle the whole time.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 08:51 AM   #33
3 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Dungville next to Donkeytown , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Len n Jeanne View Post
Are we the only hard-hearted dog owners here?

Please don’t take this as criticism, rather to understand how good folk don’t allow their pets access to hh amenities. Our dudes (2 dogs+2 cats) have full privileges to every room and its occupants laps. Don’t mistake these allowances to refer to a messy home. Those sprinkles of hair or roaming hairballs are unicorn dust byproducts for the immense pleasure we gain from the free range cuddles and pac comfort.

Yep, dirt attracts dirt and those muddy paws are cuffed by a quick brush of pads (small horse bristle) prior to entering the home. Otherwise we vac more often and curse under-breath for not keeping up with the clan.

I couldn’t imagine laying my head down for the night and not feeling my dogs breath and hearing the rustling of fluttering chops as he snores into sweet dreams. Or better yet, the entire clan packed tight as a tin on a McMansion sized lounge watching and *living* a wonderful life.

You had me down as a damsel?
Darling, I'm the wolf.
Joannadannna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 09:55 AM   #34
3 Rivet Member

2015 19' International
Boise , Idaho
Our previous owners sewed custom covers for the ultra leather on the front dinette seats to use with their dogs. We use them all the time. The smaller dog is a fan of sitting on the cushion. The larger one is just too big. You can see part of the cover in the photo. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1090.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	485.7 KB
ID:	316017
Leilanisteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 10:02 AM   #35
Rivet Master

Corona , California
Yup, The joke around our pack of pups is, in some homes, dog hair is a condiment...fortunately only one of ours sheds a lot. A built-in vacuum system solved this by picking up the big chunks when it gets a little too messy. Porcelain tile floors throughout the first floor 'dog area' makes it easy to clean up the occasional 'marking contest' and the dog hair and the stuff they track in from outside. (A built-in vac is on the to-do list for Airstream improvements.)

We have gates and fences inside our home to control access to house areas that are not dog-friendly. The first accessory we install in our homes is a dog door to a clean outside area for the pups. Furniture, if it's fragile, is covered with fluffy dog-friendly blankets that they love to push into a nest and sleep under in cold weather. And, they occasionally share their favorite spots with the people in the pack.

Yeah, there is nothing like the blissful soft breathing of a sound-asleep happy dog, jammed into your lap with his buddy two deep because that's where they want to be--as close to their people as possible. If a human is napping, the dogs will check on them at intervals very quietly, just to make sure all is still well.

Two of ours were lost on the street for at least six weeks according to witnesses. They were alone, scared, and starving when we rescued them. They were so scared it took an hour and a half to get them into the car, and then straight to our Vet to sort them out and make sure they were OK. (The resulting massive Vet bill instantly got them their names--Mr. Cash and Mr. Karey) They took a while to trust again, but now they are 'lap magnets' and probably the most loyal of the bunch.

As someone on the forums pointed out, dogs burn brightly with unconditional love for their humans, and that is part of the reason their lives are short. That joy they always show to us is the reward for the pain we ultimately feel when they leave us. Personally, I cannot imagine being without a dog or two as loyal companions in life.

Cats, well, IMHO, Dogs have a pack and family that they love to interact with, and are eager to please humans. Cats were once worshiped as gods, and they have never forgotten that. They have a staff to cater to their every whim...at least that's the way every cat I have ever known acted!

From a prominent sigh in my Veterinarian's office, "If dogs could talk, they would tell us how much they love us. If cats could talk, they wouldn't."
Old 07-05-2018, 10:30 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
We have not had any problems with the leather and our 80 lb. dog. That said, go to Bed Bath & Beyond and look for their bath mats. They have a sort of rubber backing and they stay in place over the leather. They come in two sizes and about 10 colors. One of the colors is the same as the oyster beige of our AS seats.

They are also great to sit on yourself. No more sliding off the seat (that faux leather is slippery)!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	mat1.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	320.2 KB
ID:	316022  

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 10:36 AM   #37
3 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Dungville next to Donkeytown , Alabama
Soon after submitting my love of dog less dirt - Walter greeted me all grins after doing a line of garden crack. Lol Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0425.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	220.9 KB
ID:	316023

You had me down as a damsel?
Darling, I'm the wolf.
Joannadannna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 10:45 AM   #38
Rivet Master

Corona , California
We can usually tell our two white Malti-poos are rolling in the dust on the back patio--they come in looking gray all over. Then, of course, they rub all the dust off on us or the furniture...while cuddling. Sneaky beasts!
Old 07-05-2018, 11:04 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Our 72 lb. poodle TY (aka: TYphoon the Wonder Dog) is not allowed on any furniture at home or in the Avenue. He does fine between being on the floor or on his bed between the front seats (his preferred travel position). We find many other ways to spoil him, in return for all he gives back.

His "cheat" position is laying his head on the seat or in our laps at times. And as I previously posted, he will ascend to the front seats if we step out and he's "looking to see where we went". For this reason we put a cover on the front seats. But once we are back, he knows he is to be down.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 11:22 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Some examples:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_7620.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	548.8 KB
ID:	316094   Click image for larger version