Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > The Pet Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-21-2020, 11:55 AM   #1

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Immunizations

In the past two years I have increased the immunization levels in my dogs, specifically for two known problems. First started a few years ago where there was a known Canine Influenza out break in northern Illinois. Due to the location of the Morine View rally up in the Bloomington Illinois area and the large number of dogs we have at that campground, I decided to immunize my dogs.

The new concern that my vet brought to me was Leptospirosis which in 80% of the cases, involves serious, short term kidney problems. They have talked about this to me before regarding one of the means of contracting by swimming in or drinking contaminated water. I have always kept my dogs away from this. So I felt there was little risk for my dogs. Now she raised the risk factor this year by noting that infected animals shed leptospires via urine. Dogs in the higher risk areas include rural, suburban and city areas. The city area exposure level can be rodent urine in puddles. Suburban area exposure for dogs living near water or wild life. Rural exposure is working, hunting, and herding dogs. She strongly encouraged me to rethink the need, and now in my area of the suburbs here in St. Louis, we are now seeing nightly visits to our yards from roaming deer. Even fences are not stopping them since the deer are easily jumping them. With an outdoor motion sensing camera's in my household I'm surprised at the number of deer visits we are now experiencing.

So for the good of your dogs you may want to investigate the risk factor for your camping buddies. My picture I have attached is across the street from my home in the middle of the day. I came home the other night and we had 3 does and the mom grazing in my front yard. And they just looked at me as I walked in the front door, less than 50 feet from me.

Jack
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3192.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	280.9 KB
ID:	359582  
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 12:43 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Just a heads up for those looking to get that vaccination. We gave that to our dog when young and he nearly died from it. It is possible for dogs to be allergic to it. So make sure you do so with a very competent vet. Our vet knew right away what happened and saved his life. My wife was pretty shaken up though.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote