Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > The Pet Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-29-2019, 11:32 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2018 28' Tommy Bahama
Silver City , New Mexico
All pups chew - they are going from baby teeth to their adult teeth and have a need to bite down on most anything. The best advice here is to buy a suitably-sized crate. I've had many breeds (2 Cockers, 2 Collies, 2 Goldens, and 2 Mini Schnauzers). They all chewed as pups. I now have a 7-year-old Mini Schnauzer who also chewed when he was a pup. My former Mini could destroy any type of bone in seconds. I was beyond the point of hope when I went to my local feed store and explained the situation to the owner. He recommended a certain bone with the words "It's expensive, but there is no way he'll destroy this one!" So, I bought it. About 15 minutes later, I showed up at the feed store with the "super" bone parts and got my money back with a "Well, I'll be". My present Mini Schnauzer went to clicker training to get "adjusted" to human behavior. As part of his training, he had a bunch of homework he was supposed to do between training sessions at school. Meanwhile, he grabbed his training manual and tore it to shreds.

Get a suitable crate to keep him/her out of mischief. Mini Schnauzers like to stretch, so a Medium-size is best. After awhile they get used to being in it and it becomes their safe refuge from the world of tall folks.

Never travel with a pet - or anyone - in the AS. Our buddy has a travel seat in the TV with a safety harness to keep him off the hood if we have an emergency. He loves it - it's high enough that he can enjoy the view while traveling. Now, he wants to get a Driver's License.

Enjoy your travels with your Mini - they are too smart for us - and fun!
ursuit - FS; $$$$ - GONE
If it ain't broke I can break it
A dime still makes a pretty good screwdriver
journeydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 11:38 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
1976 31' Excella 500
1974 31' Excella 500
1975 24' Argosy 24
Denver , Colorado
The number one most important factor in training a dog? Consistency. If you tell them "no," do not let them do whatever you were saying "no" to. And make sure you do this *every time.* If they know that "no" doesn't always mean *no,* then the word becomes ineffective. Also, it's important to catch them in the act. If you admonish them more than 60 seconds or so aftert the fact, they won't know what they're getting in trouble for (even if they LOOK like they totally know!). Finally, crate training is good advice, and it's actually safer for your dog in the Airstream. Have fun. Dogs rule!
kidjedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 08:14 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Jacksonville Beach , Florida
We crate trained our 9 1/2 yr old terrier from little on and have traveled with him since 4 months old it wasnt in a trailer but planes and hotels. We found a good long walk in the morning to tire him out before we left for awhile made it so he would sleep while we were gone. He flies in a soft crate under the seat in front of us and people always say at the end of the flight I didn't know he was there. He was a chewer as puppy and as a terrier he was very inquisitive. So we had to watch him constantly and if we couldn't he was crated or in a safe zone. One of his favorite things was electrical cords! Thank God we watched him closely and always got him before he got in trouble. I still have to do a clean sweep of the room in case there is anything the cleaning crew missed. It's easier in the trailer of course because you can keep things picked up. We always even to this day give him treats in the crate before we tell him to kennel up. This keeps him focused on the treats and not us leaving. I thought we would never get through the chewing phase but we did. Just keep redirecting the energy. As a side note sometimes they get "chewy" on you because they are tired and it's their way of saying they need a break. So if he has been active for awhile with a lot of stimulation give him some quiet time. We also trained him so he can go on bike rides with us in his snoozer bike basket. (He is strapped in so he can't jump out) and also use this pack to take on hikes with us.
https://snoozerpetproducts.com/product/snoozer-sporty-dog-bike-basket/?dfw_tracker=34046-85004&gclid=CjwKCAjw27jnBRBuEiwAdjQXDFLBY1DhcGatc5 NYbyEh_0KOXSA6OX1eXgmXXixJLgbw1gX_o3sHphoC5KEQAvD_ BwE

https://snoozerpetproducts.com/product/roll-around-travel-pet-carrier-backpack-p-325/?gclid=CjwKCAjw27jnBRBuEiwAdjQXDBS_K5XkpBLZ4x5QmnE Gr0YjAR0Id4ljq3VCecDZCmnwkB-o1o6NexoCBHEQAvD_BwE
Grace-n-Pup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 05:04 AM   #24
1 Rivet Member

2018 26' Flying Cloud
Hanover , Pennsylvania
Thanks to everyone. Our mini schnauzers will eventually be a great dog, thanks to all your suggestions
Rainmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 08:59 PM   #25
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Big Bear Lake , California
Cool Love it!

Love the picture of the dvd that is the best. It made the day!

As the owner of 3 Schnauzers when first acquiring the AS I thought it would be crowded. However, that never occurred as they just hung out - Frankie on the backside of the front couch (99 AS Safari 25 RBT), Comet on the couch and Hudson on his bed under a half table. All was good with travels. We have a portable pop up for needed safe space that can be used inside and out. They travel well! The chewing will stop when they get a bit older and I agree with all other suggestions of giving them something they can and take away something they can't.

Happy tails/camping!
paul sokolof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 04:54 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
We also are the proud owners of a PWD puppy, now 11 months old, the puppy teeth are gone, so we no longer have to assure strangers we are not drug addicts. 🥴
But... the chewing continues. Plenty of toys and constant attention has worked for us. They need a den, we use a large Midwest crate set up in a kitchen corner. Pirate will go there on his own or when he hears "crate". He also travels in one, he is never loose in a moving vehicle.

Bob
🇺🇸
I guess your pup told you what he thinks about that training course😂 that pic is a keeper!
KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 05:05 AM   #27
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by KK4YZ View Post
I guess your pup told you what he thinks about that training course😂 that pic is a keeper!
That photo was sent to me by the instructor of 'Fado's,(RIP), obedience instructor after noting his Alpha dog tendencies and our frustration in the lack of progress.

"Pirate" is now 11months old, the actual biting has pretty much ceased, the mouthiness, not so much.
He love's to come and get you, lead you by the hand or anything he can fit in his mouth...It's a slow process, this Puppy socialization. 🥴
Bob
🇺🇸
Old 05-31-2019, 04:12 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2024 19' Caravel
Washougal , Washington
From having a couple of Minis, there's a lot of good advice here, only one thing I didn't see: There will be a point where they suddenly go from driving you nuts to being a good dog. Our experience is that it's almost like some switch in their brain gets flipped.

But in the meantime, they can drive you nuts. Be patient...

A story:
One of our guys, 'Maxwell of the Mustache' (so named because he could't keep his beard clean and we had to trim it off all the time), was an old crank his whole life. One day, he was in my lap at the vet's, waiting to get shots. I was sitting there, and thought I heard a motorcycle idling outside. After ten minutes or so, I was thinking, "Isn't it warmed up enough by now?" Then I realized that it was Max, in my lap, growling...
Click here to go to my blog: I try to add wisdom, not noise.
Steamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 05:43 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
One of our malti-poos is a bit mouthy. Gentle enough but very insistent when he needs to get me to use my hands to pet him, of go feed them. He’s the one with the concealed wrist watch. He’s that good at time.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 06:01 PM   #30
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Relaxing with your Dog.....

😂🥴😂

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 06-01-2019, 02:03 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

Frederica , Delaware
I have not read hardly any comments but, what I found works well. To stop the chewing on me, I yelp like a dog. Practice your yelping out of range of dog first it has to be convincing. Yelping louder and sharper with increased pain you feel.
Overloaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 02:29 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
Love that video, Bob.

Back in '08 I was heading to AZ in my AS LY moho. Many breakdowns. At one truck stop I met a trucker who travelled with a Chihuahua. He told me she would let anyone into the cab, but they would never be able to get out.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
WBCCI 8080
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 10:19 AM   #33
2 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Cary , NC
BringFido app helps locate dog parks for running and playing with other dogs. RV parks usually have postage size dog areas.
alreardon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 10:42 AM   #34
2 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
Riverside , California
What they ☝🏼 all said about crate training. Be sure to always have plenty of chew toys available and lots of exercise. He’ll eventually grow out of it. (Really!). But most importantly, be sure you secure your dog when traveling. We use a harness and seatbelt leash. Dogs can become projectiles when you have to stop suddenly. I’ve seem a dog lose his eye and need 15 stitches traveling at only 5MPH.
barefootmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 10:47 AM   #35

Currently Looking...
houston , Texas
The other option is to get a dog past the age of 2. Even that doesn't guarantee they will stop destructive chewing as there are some breeds that are just persistent chewers, but they will learn and stop chewing everything in site. If you decide to trade in your pup for an older model, hit me up. I lost my baby 8 months ago after 15 beautiful years. She was a Catahoula and a persistent chewer who suffered from separation anxiety. I eventually gave up because I loved her more than I loved my stuff because it was replaceable and she was not. She did eventually calm down when I got her a playmate after my mom died and I still have the playmate. A little terrier. Anyway, good luck. I don't really have any advice but all the advice posted here by others is really good. Dogs are about the most near perfect creature God has blessed us with.
scoutdickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 10:56 AM   #36
1 Rivet Member

2019 27' International
Venice , Florida
We took three dogs on the Alaska Caravan with three crates and a lot of chew toys. The crate should never be used as punishment! Loved the DVD photo too. Long walks calms them as well.
LivinRiveted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 10:57 AM   #37

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Schnauzers are great but have to have lots of toys

We have 2 schnauzers and they are the best. They love their toys though and have to have them. You also need to buy several Schnauzer sized chew bones . Nylabone makes some they can't chew through. Give them a basket and put their toys in it. Ours go every night and pick out one for the evening. Also great for when we leave home is a portable gate pen . We have one we put their bed and food and water in so they can't get into trouble while we are gone.
They really are great dogs. They won't leave hair all over and love to travel. Perfect match just get a good collection of toys. Those with squeakers will be de squeaked very quickly unless you find the ones labelled chew proof. Stuffing goes everywhere on the little cute stuffed ones.
JazzyJazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 11:00 AM   #38
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Traverse City , Michigan
I’m trying not to laugh -too hard - at your post. We have a 2 1/2 yr old PWD. We were told to give him until he was 2 and all would be well. 😂🤣😂🤣. We called him our demon dog. Chewing must be in their blood. That and arguing. He argues with me all the time. He LOVES our AS. Of course he ate the decorative pillows (too expensive to replace). He is never left out of his crate if we’re away. He spends his days in our Classic on the back of the couch or the bed pillows. That way he can keep track of everything with the wonderful AS windows. He’s a delight but should have come with a warning; “not for 65 yr olds and older”. Wouldn’t travel without him.
Old 06-05-2019, 11:49 AM   #39
PWJ

2015 30' International
Toronto , Ontario
We travelled last fall with our then crazy 6 month old lab puppy. Prior to setting out truthfully I doubted we would complete our itinerary because of her but I was pleasantly surprised. She loved the experience. We had a tie out for her at our campsites and she loved watching the people go by. Most parks have a dog off leash area where she met new friends and got her sillies out. I had packed toys and things for her to chew so that when she was in the trailer she had something to do. We crated her if we went somewhere without her and at night for sleeping. We had a couple of very rainy days and had to be a little creative coming up with activities to keep her calm and happy but for the most part it was an amazing experience. She is a born traveller, hope your puppy is too. Good luck!
PWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 12:11 PM   #40
4 Rivet Member

Napa , California
We raise puppies for Guide Dogs for the Blind and we have a new puppy every year, this year we have puppy #26! Each dog is different, but chewing is generally either boredom or teething and sometimes one morphs into the other.

Crate training is essential -both you and the puppy can get a break from having to be side by side all the time. Bait it with treats to begin with and let them in and out randomly. Eventually, you will find them happily wating to go in the crate even though you haven't asked them -they can sleep there, travel there and be safe and quiet when there is a need for that. Tie downs also work to keep the puppy corralled a bit in your trailer (or home). Be sure the puppy has a non-destructible chew toy (nylabones, Kongs, Gonuts -those are all GDB approved) and someone is within reach. Beware, a puppy tied to a chair might decide to chew on that.

Learn to scan an area for possible "chews"-shoes, stuffed toys, pillows, socks and remove them or set up the puppy for a minor training session (no & remove the object if they go for it, a treat and "good dog" if they look but don't touch). We never use socks or dog stuffed toys for our puppies as most have difficulty discerning later on between their old sock and yours!

And be sure to give them enough exercise -walks, runs, chases, tug of war, hide and seek (yep, puppies love this one, hide in your house and call their name -treat and good dog when they find you!). Play with them with their favorite toy.

And "treats"? Nothing more than a couple of pieces of their regular kibble. We measure out a portion of their next meal and use it to reinforce their good behavior...most are willing to do almost anything to get that piece of kibble.
Atwebs is offline   Reply With Quote