Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > The Pet Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-31-2020, 03:18 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Litchfield Park , Arizona
Furbo anyone?

We just bought a Furbo to use in our AS when we leave our new pup alone. We were wondering if anyone on the forum has used one? What has been your experience?

Thanks,

Steve
stevejones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 03:42 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2020 25' Flying Cloud
Atlanta , Georgia
I'd never heard of it. I just browsed reviews on Amazon. Some of them are TERRIBLE. Do they really give you the camera free and then later add all kinds of subscription costs? If so … not good.
Belbein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 03:50 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belbein View Post
I'd never heard of it. I just browsed reviews on Amazon. Some of them are TERRIBLE. Do they really give you the camera free and then later add all kinds of subscription costs? If so … not good.
Not sure what you looked at. Camera is part of the unit that you pay for and there are only subscription costs if you opt for their expanded service (which we are not).

There are lots of great reviews on line. I guess we'll do our own at some point. Initially we like it testing it out.

Does require WiFi, so unless you have AS Connected or some other form of WiFi it won't work for you.

Steve
Old 01-31-2020, 03:53 PM   #4
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Used them, for what?
Throwing a treat and watching your dog tear it apart when it stops working. 😂
We would not leave a child in an AS with a self feeder...nor our dog.
Self feeder or not.👎

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 01-31-2020, 07:31 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Santa Cruz , California
We've had a Furbo for a year or so and use it to track a geriatric dog. It's up on a counter that she can't reach. The extra fees only apply to their "nanny" service that sends you emails when your dog is barking, restless, etc. The basic service that you reach from your smartphone is free. It requires fairly solid wifi to be useful, and is constantly listening to whatever is going on.
dljosephson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 07:40 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Furbo anyone?

The problem I have with Furbo is that the camera has a fixed viewpoint. No pan or tilt. With 4 dogs, a treat tosser function only rewards the quick ones.

It also doesn’t help that it “phones home” all the time.

I found a much cheaper internet pan and tilt camera with a speaker and microphone. It’s funny to watch a misbehaving dog run for the hills when I yell at him remotely.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 09:35 PM   #7
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Oh...I thought OP was talking in an AS.

At home...nope.👍

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_221e.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	449.6 KB
ID:	360291  
Old 02-01-2020, 05:55 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevejones View Post
We were wondering if anyone on the forum has used one? What has been your experience?
Just to clarify, I'm only interested in hearing from folks that actually own a Furbo, have used it, and what your experience has been.

Thanks,

The OP
Old 02-01-2020, 07:19 AM   #9
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Just to clarify, I'm only interested in hearing from folks that actually own a Furbo, have used it, and what your experience has been.

Thanks,

The OP
So sorry...thought you said furball.
This curmudgeon may not follow 'your' rules 100%
This is the cyberweb, anyone can & will answer.

My point...I don't leave our dog alone loose in our house, or alone in the AS...ever.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 02-01-2020, 08:51 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
I don't leave our dog alone loose in our house, or alone in the AS...ever.

What would happen if you did?

Steve
Old 02-01-2020, 09:04 AM   #11
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
What would happen if you did?

Steve
That sounds like a hypothetical question.... "based on supposition, opinion, personal belief, or conjecture, and not facts. It is not based on reality. It mostly deals with actions and scenarios that might happen, or something that might not have happened as yet, but which could happen."

Not answerable...

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 02-01-2020, 10:29 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Furbo anyone?

Our dogs are ‘left loose’ in the house only in a small fenced off portion of the kitchen area. They have easy access to water and a doggie door to get outside. Their ‘safe place’ crates are in the same area and easily accessible. They wander around that area and go outside at will.

I have a Furbo unit in one house, and a cheap remote control webcam in the other.

I’ve basically given up on the Furbo because the one i have does not pan or tilt remotely, and I have yet to find an acceptable snack it can throw. It’s not an issue because my son (the gadget freak) gave it to me after his kid mangled the power cord. So it’s no loss.

The pan and tilt camera is handy for observing the pups, and they respond if I need to speak to them. The Furbo audio output got ignored, assuming it even works.

So, if you have one dog that you want to toss treats at remotely, consider Furbo.

For just remote observation and occasional commands, there are better and less expensive devices. Mine is a “MobiCam”. I can manage up to 16 of them with their iPhone app.

I’m sure there are other similar ones available.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 10:00 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2020 25' Flying Cloud
Atlanta , Georgia
To answer your question ... when I look at reviews, I look at three 1 and 2 star first. Then I look at 3s. Then I look at the percentages: If the 1s and 2s are more than 30%, I don't go further. In the event I do go further, I ignore all the reviews from people who just bought the product and are thrilled. There's still bias in this, but the 1s and 2s tend to be people with experience and not shills. There are a couple good articles on line on fake endorsements and fake reviews. Everyone should take a look. The 5 stars are fraught with fraud.
Old 02-02-2020, 10:50 AM   #14
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belbein View Post
To answer your question ... when I look at reviews, I look at three 1 and 2 star first. Then I look at 3s. Then I look at the percentages: If the 1s and 2s are more than 30%, I don't go further. In the event I do go further, I ignore all the reviews from people who just bought the product and are thrilled. There's still bias in this, but the 1s and 2s tend to be people with experience and not shills. There are a couple good articles on line on fake endorsements and fake reviews. Everyone should take a look. The 5 stars are fraught with fraud.
This may help with judging reviews.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 02-02-2020, 12:54 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2020 25' Flying Cloud
Atlanta , Georgia
Thanks. I've never used it--I trust my experience and instincts more than any computer program's analysis--but I'm always willing to learn.

I hope you'll post your experience with the Furbo in six months or a year.
Old 02-03-2020, 06:48 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
I’ve basically given up on the Furbo because the one i have does not pan or tilt remotely, and I have yet to find an acceptable snack it can throw.
The Furbo's camera has a 160 degree range of view and so far for us that is fine. I can see though that being able to pan and tilt would be a plus. The kibbles and treats we normally use seem to work fine. So far.

Quote:
The pan and tilt camera is handy for observing the pups, and they respond if I need to speak to them. The Furbo audio output got ignored, assuming it even works.
For us the audio output seemed to work OK. The main problem is latency for both audio and video. I assume you will have this with any similar product but would love to hear from others using different products.

Quote:
So, if you have one dog that you want to toss treats at remotely, consider Furbo.
We have one dog. Not sure yet how tossing treats will work when she is in her crate. You can position the Furbo so the treats land in the crate, but I'll bet from time to time they might bounce off the screen. Then you have a frustrated dog who wants to get to a treat they can see and smell outside the crate.

Quote:
For just remote observation and occasional commands, there are better and less expensive devices. Mine is a “MobiCam”. I can manage up to 16 of them with their iPhone app.

I’m sure there are other similar ones available.
Thanks, we'll check it out.

Steve
Old 02-05-2020, 05:04 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

2008 19' Bambi
Oxford , Michigan
We have one and no complaints. Not having the tilt and pan is not an issue. We placed it on a shelf unit in the corner of our living room and can see the entire room. Audio and video are great, no issues.
Nowheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 05:47 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Pocatello , Idaho
I don't mean to offend anyone, but for your next dog you might want to consider a different breed.

I am on my tenth Doberman and none have needed anything like a Furbo to behave themselves in the house or trailer in my absence. I took them all to AKC basic obedience training, made sure they were socialized properly, and once they were past the puppy stage (6-9 mos?) they had the run of the house in my absence so they could do their job as protectors of my property. They have all been quiet in the house and trailer, playing/chewing their toys and nothing else. When I had more than one, sometimes three, I taught them the command "No play" because allowing big dogs to romp in the house is asking for matchstick furniture, so they knew what the boundaries were and obeyed.

Vivian
(Maybe now the Fur[bo] will fly!)
Landshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 10:22 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Clovis , California
I did a double take when I read your byline. For a minute I thought you said "FUBAR." ��
blahargoue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 11:55 AM   #20
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Home Alone?

We reason this way...

If anyone comes past a barking dog and enters your AS or home the dog will most likely be dead or injured when you return.

We have never left our dogs alone in the AS.
And when home alone, always in their crate with only toy's to chew & play with.;

IMHO... There is no such thing as 100% reliably trained dog...but what do we know, we've only been doing it for 40+ years.

TETO

Bob
🇺🇸