Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > The Pet Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-26-2007, 10:41 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Ashland , Missouri
FUN fabric for doggie bed or mat

hi!

i just found some fabric i've been looking for over the whole winter. am going to make sami a flat dog "bed" with it. he won't have trouble walking on to a flat pad type.

beside the point. the fabric is a cotton quilt fabric that is a doggie newspaper print. great articles featuring funny dog articles.

sami's will appear much like a pad of newspaper lying on the floor. don't think i'll be able to resist putting a bit of tea to dye a spot or two on it. almost impossible for me to avoid fine details in anything.

jandofabrics dot com (can't remember if typing out is allowed, ,isn't at my other 2 forums)

just in case anyone is interested. thought the idea of a simple flat bed might be handy for traveling. you could roll it up and fasten with a big rubber band or put it into the thin plastic sleeves often used for delivery newspapers.

e
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dognewspaperchrontt.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	39979  
Lost Valley Lake Resort #5611
https://www.lostvalleylake.com Woodalls 5W, Coast to Coast 5 Star. Coast to Coast members come enjoy!
cccamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 05:38 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Cool looking fabric!

Thanks for the fabric link and the tip about the thinner bed. I never know what to do with my current dog bed in the trailer. Because the bed is too big to roll up, we end up just leaving it on the floor.

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 04:49 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Ashland , Missouri
hi!
yes the fatter beds take up a lot of space in our little castles. here's what i am going to do.... (in case anyone is interested, otherwise ignore

cut out the size of fabric i want for the bed

press under the edges and baste.

baste or pin to a slightly larger (your choice) piece of polar fleece - i have TONS of malden mills polartec but joanns has some good pieces for great prices.

sew newsprint to fleece by going around the straight lines of the articles.

sew around the outer edge.

vIola! i'll cut the fleece edging with scalloped scissors.

could sandwich a piece of polyester quilt batting in between the print and fleece...

should be quick and easy. and fun. AND WASHABLE.

when i had about given up on finding the newsprint fabric i decided to make my own "newspaper" pages in print shop. then print onto the special printable muslin through my inkjet photoprinter. sew up pieces to make the right size.

obviously the yardage i bought will be a sturdier more colorfast choice. still it would be fun to see sami in print.

pets give us lots of excuses to get goofy and have fun. who else can get grown up people to talk so silly w/o even realizing it.

e

below my dear little gabriel - well and bob - back in 1996 when he was a little puppy. he was a wire-hair doxie who was *so* handsome. great stock but he still ended up with back problems. had MRIs and surgery, etc. then blew it again when he was just 5 and it was so bad we had to have him euthanized. never wanted another dog. not into emotional pain. had searched a year for a good breeder by joining a list with lots of good breeders. still..
same thing with sami, our little pom. has a bad leg. guess we who are disabled in some way are the caretakers of the pups that way!
... btw, doesn't gabe with his great doxie nose look the grinches dog!
now won't this be funny if i mess up the pix upload.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	bob n  gabe 1996.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	40002  
https://www.lostvalleylake.com Woodalls 5W, Coast to Coast 5 Star. Coast to Coast members come enjoy!
Old 06-27-2007, 05:37 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Altoona , Florida
Talking

I tried this and used butter to baste. My lab mix ate it.
Poprivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 09:21 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Ashland , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Alan
I tried this and used butter to baste. My lab mix ate it.
oh yes, big mistake. when using this type of basting medium i suggest you try fish oil, not as appealing to canines.

if he does start drooling, just wrap it around some fish and chips, tell him you love him and offer the feast.

just a thot... hope it helps

e

(sami adds... arf arf arf! wooo wooo wooo, eurrrrrr, arf arf arf!)

weird, he's obsessing on the fish and chips...
Old 06-29-2007, 02:07 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
Originally Posted by cccamper
...i have TONS of malden mills polartec but joanns has some good pieces for great prices...
Thanks for the instructions. For fleece, also check out your local WalMart for a good selection at prices lower than Joanne's.

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 06:47 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2001 16' Bambi
2013 23' International
Piedmont Region , North Carolina
below my dear little gabriel - well and bob - back in 1996 when he was a little puppy. he was a wire-hair doxie who was *so* handsome.

CC Camper,

I know exactly what you mean about the *so* handsome wires. As you can see Buster was happy to supervise my work during the job of trailer floor replacement. He directs operations from his "worksite" pillow.
TB
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	My supervisor 047.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	40075  
tinbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 08:24 AM   #8
Head Animal Wrangler

2010 19' International
2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Los Osos , California
Cute idea!

I have a "sleeping bag" for my dog. It's actually an oval of "sleeping bag" material that I bought at Eddie Bauer a while back. It comes with it's own stuff sack so it takes up very little room.
BamCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 09:17 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Ashland , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinbender
CC Camper,

I know exactly what you mean about the *so* handsome wires. As you can see Buster was happy to supervise my work during the job of trailer floor replacement. He directs operations from his "worksite" pillow.
TB
oh how sweet. gabe was very much the same color as buster, that's unusual. gabe's mom was strawberry and his dad a blond (i'd neve seen one) thanks for the picture. nice to be reminded. don't have the nerve to ever get another doxie.. had them since high school, and in the family, too. just too much "ouch" with gabriel.

give buster a hug!

e

My dog's not spoiled ... I'm just well trained !