Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > The Pet Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-27-2004, 09:52 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to silver suz
Question Dogs in an RV camp?

It sounds like a lot of you bring your dogs with you while camping. If one is using RV parks -are there a lot who turn you away if you have a dog? Are dogs allowed to sleep outside in their plastic dog houses, ( as mine are used to?). Or do they have to be brought inside at night? Any other hassles? Should you bring the dog's vet records? Do you feel more comfortable at night with your dog with you? (I've been reading the gun thread- at it has me a little freaked. ) Have your dogs prevented a robbery etc? Does your dog stay in the trailer while driving or in the car with you? I was hoping to get away from dog dander. But I want to be comfortable too. silver suz
silver suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 09:57 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
bay city , Michigan
we always bring our dog, he loves to go camping. never had a problem with a park letting us in with him but some parks make him sleep inside the trailer at night. i like him to ride in the trailer but the wifes doesn't so we all know where he rides now don't we. the nice thing about having a 100 lab tied the the bumper of your trailer is when you take a drive to see some sights no body takes any of your stuff.
FireFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 10:02 AM   #3
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
Eats Bullets

My 9 lb Yorkie eats guns and spits bullets!

He sleeps wherever he chooses, he is one bad dude.

Bring your big guns and get ya some.

We let the Yorkie negotiate CG spaces and fees for us, we dont get much lip from CG attendants.

Just kidding

You are right, wife and dog are inseperable.

Smily
smily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 10:03 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
i like him to ride in the trailer but...
I would NEVER leave a pet in the trailer while travelling!

I know it's illegal, but have you ever been in the trailer while it's moving??? I did in an empty lot just to see what it was like...NO WAY would I subject a pet to that! It creaks, bangs, bounces and is basically miserable and that wasn't even moving at travelling speeds or bumpy roads.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 10:04 AM   #5
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
When he's not busy chasin' hoodlums

He is staking his territory

Plenty of discussion on CG's allowances and tolerances here:

http://www.airforums.com/forum...discrimination
Attached Images

smily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 10:10 AM   #6

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Our dogs travel with us, in the car, and sleep in the trailer with us at night. I don't think they would be safe in the trailer while being towed. Sometimes we leave them in the trailer while we go out to eat, or to a museum or someplace they can't come along. I love having them along so we can all go on hikes and play on the beach, and just because I enjoy their company.

Be sure to get good tags for them with your name and info like from http://www.boomerangtags.com/, and your cell phone number in case you get separated. Carrying copies of your vet records couldn't hurt, particularly if you end up needing to visit a vet for some reason. At least have your home-vets name and number handy. Take along a few good pictures of them, in case they get lost and you need to make a 'lost dog' poster. It's easier to have that stuff on hand if you need it.

No park has ever turned us away for having dogs, though one nice park we stayed at had a dog-walking area for them to go potty, and it was a bit of a hassle to walk them to it when they needed to go. We always pick up after them.

I haven't felt that we weren't safe at any of the parks we've stayed at, and don't feel we NEED to have a gun OR a dog to be safe.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 10:13 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
Well, Firefighter ....

... don't you LET your dog sleep inside the trailer whether or not anyone forces you to? Poor little 100-lb. lab. If we were parked next to you, Osita would lift her head off my pillow, look out the window and think "poor mutt. don't he git to sleep on the bed?"
summerkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 11:17 AM   #8
Pet Sitter Extraordinaire

1989 33' Land Yacht
Chattanooga , Tennessee
Dogs in an RV camp?

Our 11 year old, black German Shepard gets mad if he doesn't get to go camping. The bad part is he wants everyone up at 7 am no matter how late we stay up the night before! We are packing for our next trip and when I came out of the house last night, he was sitting in front of the Airstream!
kposey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 11:28 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Some state parks do not allow pets in the campground area. Most places allow responsible pet owners to have their pets. Seems the ALL require lease outside trailer and prohibit leaving the pet alone at the camp site, inside or out. This seems reasonable to me. We have at time left them in the trailer for a short trip to the shower house or dinner someplace close but not as a regular habit. Its one of the reasons to go Airstreaming. Take the family.
If you trained your dog to be aggressive and a noisy watch dog you may find yourself having conversations with the campground PIC (person in charge)
Never travel with a pet in the trailer, it is illegal, dangerous, and cruel. Well, maybe not for cats.
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 11:55 AM   #10
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Our 65lb German Shep mix (Penny) goes with us everywhere when we camp!

We even fit her in the Bambi when we had it! Now with the Safari, she now has 2 or 3 spots to call hers.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 12:27 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Pagosa Springs , Colorado
dog

Generally speaking, if an RV park will let me in they'll let anything in.

Tin Hut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 12:31 PM   #12

1968 17' Caravel
We've stayed in a few state campgrounds, and haven't found any that didn't allow pets in the campground, but a few that ONLY allow pets in the campground - as in, they are not allowed on the trails. National parks, like Olympic NP and Ranier NP in WA, are like this as I understand. That's one of the reasons we haven't gone there yet, even though they're so close. Silver Falls SP in Oregon is like that, no pets on the main waterfall trail, but ok on horse trails and in the campground. I think Emmigrant Lake in Ashland, OR is also pets allowed only in the campground, not in the park.

So rules vary. When you check in you'll let them know you have pets and probably find out the specific rules then. We haven't been turned away because of the dogs yet though, so I hope our luck holds out.

Old 04-27-2004, 12:46 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Joshua Tree , California
I just made a reservation at a park for weekend after next. They required $5 for the dog (their brochure said $2, but what the hey). Most parks require around $2 per animal, but I have found that very few enforce that, no matter that I mentioned the quadraped son when making the res., or when paying the bill. They just shrug and smile.
Our is primarily an outside dog, so he gets a haircut and a bath at the groomers before we go. Since we have a regular cab truck, we strap his airline-type travel kennel in snugly w/ tie downs facing the tailgate in the back, and put in a nice lawn chair type cushion. He actually prefers this to riding 'upfront' with us - mainly because he likes to see out, and he can turn and move around somewhat in the kennel.
At the site, he eats and drinks outside (his kibble is never ever left out for other animals to feast on), we walk him first thing in the morning for relief, and he's good to go for the rest of the day. My favorite investment was a small foldable plastic water container from Outward Hound that folds and fits into a back pocket. We also got him a backpack so he can carry his own darn water on long hikes!

I don't know why, but people seem unusually attracted to him. These shots were from a day at Calico Ghost Town, after a pattern developed of people walking up to the dog and asking to pet him, I started to take pictures of this phenonmenon. It was Civil War day, and folks were all dressed in period costumes, and two groups of Japanese tourists wanted their pictures taken with him. Didn't get a picture of that for myself, guess who was taking their shots for them?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	attraction.jpg
Views:	439
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	6236  
mtpalms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 03:49 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Joshua Tree , California
One thing I forgot to mention. We always keep a copy of his lordship's rabies certificate in the trailer. Chances are no one will ask for it, but if your dog gets loose and Mr Ranger has to bring him back, or God Forbid, he bites someone or someone else's pet, you'll be glad you have it at hand.
mtpalms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 03:52 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to silver suz
Sorry, allergies forbid any of the 3 cats or 2 dogs in the bedroom wing of our house. I prefer breathing and sleeping and the dogs don't know any better because that's the way they have been brought up. they have a GREAt time pestering the skunk (love that!) and armadillos that live on our property, catch rabbits and the big field rats and also keep the coyotes away. The cats are responsible for the barn. They are all very spoiled, and loved. Our lab mix is the best with kids. She races towards them ,a few feet away she drops and wiggles to have her belly scratched . The cats also stop drop and roll to have their tummies rubbed. The dogs also have a duty to keep the free range chickens safe- which they take very seriously- we have lost only one chicken to a lost abandoned dog, which a neighbor then adopted. So they have a pretty good animal life as I am here all day with them. So dont feel sad for them! silver suz
silver suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 06:03 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Roger on the rabies certificate. At NY State Parks they take the tags but would rather the certificates, id's the dog.
Sounds like your dog has one of those older souls.
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 08:23 PM   #17
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychpw
Never travel with a pet in the trailer, it is illegal, dangerous, and cruel. Well, maybe not for cats.
Dangerous, and cruel, maybe, but not illegal. Why are there horse and cattle trailers? And a friend has a dog trailer, for hauling his Greyhounds.
Terry
BTW, there was a thread about this a while back, I can't find it now, of course. It went pretty in-depth.
Old 04-27-2004, 08:40 PM   #18

1968 17' Caravel
The confusion may come from the fact that (in my state at least) it is illegal for anyone to ride in a travel trailer while it is being towed, at least that's my understanding. But I think that's people, not animals. Your state may be different.

Old 04-27-2004, 09:39 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Furbabies in RV Parks

Ha - We bought the Airstream for our Girls - four legged girls that is.

Having not had the pleasure of having children (well as some may have it) our furbabies are our kids, family, friends, bedwarmers, and couch cuddlers.

We sure hope dogs are allowed -cause wer'e all going camping or non.

We probably should have got a 24-27' but at least this way if we are in the back they can have their own couches in the front and if we are in the front they can cuddle in the back - but you know what will happen - there will be all four of us on this little 48X75" double bed

Can't wait to meet some of you guys out in the RV Parks. And I know our girls will love to meet everyone - Lab's & Goldens are social bunnies!

PS. dogs in the trailer - now that is real smart - about as smart as having a loose or even tied up dog in the back of an open pick up truck! Ever watched them try and balance - or how about breath! fumes, biting cold air not to mention close to g-force winds that swirl in the rear - okay enough I will really get going.....
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 10:29 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Talking Did you mean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut
I would NEVER leave a pet in the trailer while travelling!
I know it's illegal, but have you ever been in the trailer while it's moving??? I did in an empty lot just to see what it was like...NO WAY would I subject a pet to that! It creaks, bangs, bounces and is basically miserable and that wasn't even moving at travelling speeds or bumpy roads.
Shari
added the blue to hi-lite
Shari,
Reading over your statement..leaves me to wonder, You meant to say, "legal"..right?
No dogs here, just a sweet, lovable cat.
He would never ride in the trailer, let alone the Burb.
When we go away, he either gets boarded up at the local Vet or, someone stays home with him.
I'll say this much from my own personal observation; most nearly all dog owners are very good about keeping the pets in check. About the only thing I would comment on is: There seems to be a very, very small percentage of pet owners who, for whatever reasons, just never clean up the mess they leave.
It's nice to see the pets taking the owners out for a stroll.
ciao
53FC
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote