Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > The Pet Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-28-2004, 06:55 AM   #21
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
It illegal here in IL to ride in the trailer when it's moving. We too tried this going from our campsite to the dumpstation when we were kids camping with our family. It was a very strange exp to say the least........one I couldn't dream of on a trip. It's funny though how a bunch of folks that come over say, that's neat, one of you can drive, while the other sleeps in the back.......yea...right. Must be nice living in never, never land.....maybe I'll go visit them someday!
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 07:07 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
Our two cats hate being in a carrier in the truck... cry the whole time. But I'm not letting them roam around loose and get under my feet either.

They do just fine in the trailer, but it is 9,000-10,000 lbs riding on triple-axles with shock absorbers. Probably rides smoother than the truck.

I close all the curtains except those across the front, put their litter box up against the couch on one side, and water and food bowls on a tray up against the couch on the other side. They either sleep on the couch or lay across the back watching the road.
Old 04-28-2004, 07:33 AM   #23
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
After reading Moe's post, one bit of info I left out is that the law here is only for humans. Anything else is fair game.

I will say that 3 axles would be better as I found first hand that 2 are much smoother than the single axle I had on the Bambi!

Eric
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 02:17 PM   #24
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
Here in Colorado, and other western mountain states anything left outside at night is up for grabs by mountain lions, ceyotes(sp?) and bears When we were still tent camping, we had a bear go right by our little two man tent one night and last year I heard that a guy was mauled (bitten) right thru his tent!

We travel with our little 12lb rat terrier always. She loves to hike, but sometimes we have had to leave her in the trailer (absolutely true that National Parks forbid dogs on trails-Rky Mt. NP does and so does Arches in Utah) We never go for long stretches, and leave window open and fan on. She is a quiet girl. So far, no CG have said "No", private, NP, Forest Service or otherwise.

"When a great ship is in harbour and moored, it is safe, there can be no doubt. But that is not what great ships are built for." by Clarissa Pinkola-Estes, author of ‘Women Who Run With the Wolves’
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 02:41 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Shari,
Reading over your statement..leaves me to wonder, You meant to say, "legal"..right?
No...I meant to say illegal. It is illegal to ride in the trailer while it is in motion...

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 04:03 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Hi All,
Our 8 pound peekapoo, Cookie, goes nuts when the Argosy pulls up in the yard. She loves to go campng.
We have never had a problem with campgrounds, and we keep health certificates on board just in case.
Cookie sleeps where she pleases, even if she takes up a lot of room for such a small dog.
Our only problem is she loves people and other animals, and will try to greet everyone.
Baby, the siameese cat does not go camping. We leave someone in charge of him to feed, water, and play with him.
Marie :
Old 04-28-2004, 04:23 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut
No...I meant to say illegal. It is illegal to ride in the trailer while it is in motion...

Shari
Again I must remind you that too is a misleading statement, as it implies all states.That is just not the case. Illegal for humans to ride in the trailer in "some states", but not in all~
A list of some examples
South Dakota laws states:
Quote:
Riding is permitted in pickup camper and riding is permitted in fifth wheel with audible or visual device with tow vehicle and safety glass.
Alaska law states:
Quote:
Passengers allowed to ride in pickup camper (truck camper) only.
Arizona laws states:
Quote:
Passengers are allowed to ride in fifth wheel, travel trailer and pickup camper.
Colorado laws states:
Quote:
Passengers are allowed to ride in fifth wheels or pickup campers but not in travel trailers.

Indiana
Quote:
Riding of passengers in fifth wheels, travel trailers and pickup camper is allowed
The list goes on and on, with many restrictions limiting individuals to ride only in pickup campers only~!
For the law in your state, check this website for the latest laws 2004
http://www.rvadvice.com/travel/AK.html#RV%20Road
Once more~
"As to whether it's a good practice might defy good common sense but, as we can plainly see, not the law in all states~!"
ciao
53FC
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 06:10 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
It has been 3 going on 4 months fulltiming for me down here in Florida. I have my dog Cali with me and she just loves it! She has turned into a very active dog since we have been down here and both of us have lost some weight, due to her long walks, that were not possible during Ohio's harsh winters. The campground I am in would rather have campers with dogs than children!
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 08:55 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Some states allow individuals to ride in the trailer when it is being towed. TN. is one of them.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 06:54 AM   #30
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
People can ride in travel trailers in Minnesota. We recommend children be handcuffed to separate beds; otherwise they hang out the back window and wave at following truckers. They also like to bounce from side to side and cause the trailer to sway. Then dad has to pull over and administer corrective discipline.

(only the first statement is true)
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 09:45 AM   #31
3 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Ladson , South Carolina
We always travel with our 2 beagles and have never been turned away from a campground or state park. They have never been allowed in our trailer. They have always traveled and slept in our Suburban - one in his crate, one on a blanket. However the Suburban has now been replaced with a truck. We just had a cap put on for the dogs - windows that open and have screens! Quite an expense just for the dogs but.... They know when we are getting ready to go camping and go outside and sit next to the AS so as to be sure they don't get left behind!!
Happy trails.
SC Coastal Unit
TAC-SC5
Safari Streamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 10:11 AM   #32
4 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to silver suz
Great idea- thanks! We can get her a cage- Trouble is- being an outside dog all the time, except for periods during the day, I dont think she is house broken.
Really, everyone, I'm not going to torture my dog in the trailer- first thing she would probably do is pee, from fright. Neither dogs are used to going anywhere in the car. Even the vet comes here- with as many animals as we have it's just easier.
Thanks, silver suz P>S> anyone know how to housebreak a 9 yr old dog? She looks like a black lab but weighs 50 lbs, and hates water, and her name is "Orca". (There's irony in that!) Thanks again. : )
silver suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 12:47 PM   #33
4 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Joshua Tree , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver suz
Great idea- thanks! We can get her a cage- Trouble is- being an outside dog all the time, except for periods during the day, I dont think she is house broken.
Really, everyone, I'm not going to torture my dog in the trailer- first thing she would probably do is pee, from fright. Neither dogs are used to going anywhere in the car. Even the vet comes here- with as many animals as we have it's just easier.
Thanks, silver suz P>S> anyone know how to housebreak a 9 yr old dog? She looks like a black lab but weighs 50 lbs, and hates water, and her name is "Orca". (There's irony in that!) Thanks again. : )
All dogs are individuals, but ours is also primarily an outdoor dog that is allowed in the house. We never 'trained' him and he never asks to go out
but will if someone else goes outside, or when the alarm goes off in the morning and I am getting up anyway. He's never messed in the house or when left alone in the trailer (we've never left him alone in there longer than it takes to go out for dinner). Then again, he's never chewed or torn up anything either (except for a bag of danishes I left out on the counter once - even then he left the bag intact and hoovered up all the crumbs).

If your dog is well mannered, I wouldn't worry about it too much - they know their boundaries. We got a large airline kennel, secured it in the truck bed with straps, lined it with a thin lawn chair cushion, and he prefers it to being loose in the cab of the truck. When we stop for a rest break, he gets out too, but rarely needs to relieve himself. My only concern with this perfect pet is that he will go at least 3 days without going No. 2. He loves to travel and doesn't act like he is in distress so I let it go, although I always carry a baggie along 'just in case'.

I'd be more concerned about whether she likes to take rides, enjoys new experiences, and/or she gets car sick. She can learn to like the first, therapy for the second (kinda joking there), and there are pills for the third, your call.

Unlike some people, most animals will not willingly soil their living space.
mtpalms is offline   Reply With Quote