Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > The Pet Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-12-2005, 08:08 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
Jarrettown , Pennsylvania
Thumbs up Doggie day-care available?

Hello all, we are planning a big cross-country loop this summer with two kids and 60 pounds of rescued pound-hound Chance. She is very loving and family-oriented, just past two years ago adopted and saved from the gas chamber. However, we are planning this big tour from Pennsylvania to South Dakota's Badlands, Yellowstone, out to the Washington/Oregon coast and down to a relative in Santa Rosa, CA, checking out sequoias and giant redwoods, then back home probably through Colorado and (if funds allow for gas money) down to see more relatives in Texas, Arkansas, and Georgia. The big question: Is it possible to find daily doggie day-care for the occasional times when we four persons would like to be doing something together? Is there anything we should know in advance (particularly about Yellowstone and the other parks) that is forbidding for having a leashed doggie along? We are in a 345 moho, I know tents are restricted. I am not comfortable with leaving her in the AS, even with the air conditioner on, for more than about an hour, as she cries and will bark at anyone going by. (No, she has never been crated.) There will only be some short-term stays necessary, but I'm sure there will be times we would like to find a sitter. Any experience with this sort of thing? Love these forums (or is it fora?)
pbnjsellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 08:51 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1968 26' Overlander
Wenatchee WA , Cape Cod
This summer we asked our vet and people who were running a local pet store. We got great results from that. I think that if you are in a large enough area you can ask local vets or people you meet if they know anyone. Also at some national parks the college workers are always looking for ways to make extra money on their days off. You might find someone who would be willing to sit with the dog. Ask the concierge at the big National Park lodges they can hook you up with a lot of information.
1968 Overlander - WBCCI #5793
Uberlanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 09:16 AM   #3
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
In the northern suburbs of Chicago, there is a place called Wiggly Tails:

www.wigglytails.com

It's been my understanding that some places crate, while others don't. Some charge extra for outdoor time, while other don't have a real big outdoor area for dogs to run around. This place seems to have the best of both worlds. I would leave my pet there if I had to, but she loves going camping and has found her favorite spot in the Safari, so I doubt she'll ever stay, but it's nice to know they are close by if I get in a jam and need a sitter for the kid.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 09:28 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
We did almost 4 weeks with our two 70+ girls (but we have no Kids) and we ended up changing our holiday quite a bit.

We don't have a motor home, rather, a Yukon and Trailer - the girls love the car more than they do the trailer unless we are in the trailer with them.

We did not leave the girls more than 1/2 at a time in the trailer - and only if it were a coolish day - if really hot we did not go anywhere and enjoyed some R&R under the awning.

We did take advantage of any of the cloudy or rainy days to do the "touristy" thing like the space centre - the dogs were in the car for 4 hours - it poured rain and was cloudy and cool the whole time.

We chose to go to the beach on a cloudy day as well just in case we had to leave the dogs in the car - just wanted a walk and it was great that we found a beach that the dogs could come with us - although they did have to stay on their leash.

The vet and pet store idea is a great one - and something we might look into as well - so please keep us posted as to how you made out.

There was not too much we could not do - without taking the girls along they are as good as gold when they are with us - so we are lucky. Taz does bark at old male dogs not sure why but she does not take too kindly to them - probably because they are usually grumpy sometimes nasty and she can sense it and does like to protect Haily.

I guess we sort of treated our girls like they were kids - and if you are on holiday with your kids - kinda silly to get baby sitters But having both I can see how it might get a bit awkward.

We were just thinking how we could rig up a protected bike carrier for them so we could at least go biking - hiking is not a problem as we do it all the time - either off lead or with their expandy lead (when we see people they are brought up to heal and either leads shortened or put back on their short leash.)

We do find it a bit restricting - but for what it is worth - we are only on holidays for a few weeks a year - and would not trade the companionship they offer the rest of the year!

Good luck with your holidays Sounds like a wonderful trip.
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 09:42 AM   #5
Remember Burma Shave!

2006 19' Safari
2000 25' Safari
1985 25' Sovereign
Fort Myers , SW.Florida
Going to (with) the dogs!

I always travel with my dog. Pulled 16,000+ miles around America this time last year and never had a problem.

I assume that you have a dingy for your motor home, because you should otherwise be able to take the dog most everywhere you go. If the dingy is too small, then you may have a problem.

I know that you need to be careful in the NP's and woods, especially in the Spring and early Summer season when the wildlife is still not pushed back, because a dog on a leash is great bear bait. Can't tell you how many great close in camera shots my dog assisted me getting of bears.

There are restrictions in some/many parks, like no dogs on hiking paths, although generally the bike paths they are allowed on with a leash.

You might try a site like ... http://www.doggonefun.com/ , but the NP's are usually pretty far in & away from the cities, its going to be extreamly difficult to find responsible people to look after an animal. It isn't much different than having a young child and you may have to approach your planning procedure with that in mind.

Personally, I accomodate the dog ... if she can't come then I'm not going.

Besides, there are things I may not have ever done, like play in the snow on Mt. Baker, or walked the roads in the redwood forest. (she particularily liked the BIG trees!)
NORM #3305

"... there is nothing you can't fix yourself ...
... if you're handy ...
... with a check book! ..."
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 10:04 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Waterloo , Iowa
Bigger question

The big question: Is it possible to find daily doggie day-care for the occasional times when we four persons would like to be doing something together?
===================

Can you define what you mean by Doggie Day Care? Do you want a place to kennel your dog by the day, or do you mean some sort of play experience or center?
We have one doggie day care locally, and the rules are somewhat strict.... all dogs must be nuetered, up to date on all shots, have a examination or trial time... so they can see what other dogs yours gets along with. It is run like a kid's day care.
When I am looking for some time to sightsee, I am content to kennel the dogs by the day. This means bare bones safety, not a play date or party time for the dogs....
Up in St Andrews, New Brunswick, when we wanted to spend some time whale watching, I found a local vet to kennel the dogs with... they had an outside large run, about eight foot by twenty foot, partly covered. We left their crate beds for comfort. Price was reasonable. However, looking for something reasonable in the Key West area this year was a total bust! Big disappointment!! I could hire a pet sitter to come to the campgrounds, but no drop-in kennel facilities of any kind were available! That big a tourist area and nothing there! So it can vary widely by location.
Something to keep in mind is what the attraction you are visiting has. Universal Studios in California used to offer a kennel facility on site.... a/c and clean. Kennedy Space Center has free day kennels for use while there. Rather stark, but clean and safe. Left a crate pad for them to share, and a coupla toys so they wouldn't be too bored. The kennel they shared was about four by six foot. Only scary thing about either place was no proof of immunizations were requested!
Best advice from here is to use dexonline.com or some other online phone directory, and take a peek at the vets and kennels in the area you want this service. Call in advance and see if anyone has day kenneling, and what the requirements are, and the price. (At this point, I have to say "Thank gawd for cell phones!")
And if push come to shove, you could always make a grooming appointment with someone for the dog. That way she would have a safe place to stay, and she would be buffed and fluffed while you were gone! LOL!!
Good luck on your search. And make sure you have the shot record with you.... many places require not only a current rabies, but distemper and bordetella as well, at a minimum.

Elizabeth in Iowa (who travels with two standard poodles!)
Old 05-12-2005, 01:40 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
Jarrettown , Pennsylvania
Just looking for a babysitter for while we do a day-trippin' thing, so we don't have to leave her in the AS with A/C on; I'm just looking for safety for her, not entertainment. (Although the buff 'n' fluff idea sounds good too!) She certainly won't like it any, but perhaps she will be even more appreciative of her regular home life once reminded of the Bad Place, the SPCA, which I'm sure the cages will bring back to her. It's not exactly my only worry, thinking about this five-week odyssey, but it is on the list. Thanks for your support - any more suggestions would be appreciated!
pbnjsellers is offline   Reply With Quote