Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > The Pet Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-13-2016, 03:11 PM   #21
Likes Shiny Tings

1958 26' Overlander
Portland , Oregon
I like your suggestion riowerks as sometimes I want to take the pickup and do the crates vs the seatbelt routine.
So right, ColoradoLady, little furry toddlers for sure.
(sometimes I wish I could just like "like" on comments. I know, Facebook is the devil )
MaryC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 03:51 PM   #22
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Dog Platform for Back Seat in Crew Cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Winch View Post
Dogs should not be jumping up (hip displaysia) or down (disc hernia) from any height.

We heartily agree about the jumping. We had a ramp for our golden which we used any time he climbed into or out of the truck's crew cab where he travelled. Sometimes we also used it to help him climb in and out of the trailer. (He did not like those metal steps.) We stored it in the truck bed whenever it wasn't in use.

Edit - this isn't exactly the ramp we had, but it was similar to this one: http://amzn.to/1QenwA0

2nd edit: We also had him wear a safety harness while in the truck, which we connected to a seat belt clip via a short leash specifically designed for that purpose.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 04:55 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1972 29' Ambassador
Boynton Beach , Florida
My 2004 RAM 2500 Crew Cab has rear seats that fold up, and a platform that folds out to mostly cover the space. I imagined a paw getting caught in there, so made a custom cut 3/8" OSB board that fully seals it off, and glued down indoor-outdoor carpet on it.

Though trying to boost up our old labrador is a pain, not to mention the panting in our ears from two big dogs while driving. So most of the time they ride in the camper shell. I built a 6' ramp that just fits in the back, with astroturf and little cleats on it. After a day at Jupiter Dog Beach, it's great!
SuzyHomemakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 04:59 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by windfallsp View Post
There are no easy answers to this one.

As former dog show/agility trial/hunt test people, we are used to transporting our standard poodles in crates, for their comfort and safety. But good crates may not be especially useful in a serious collision, and some can actually be dangerous, especially for large and giant breeds.

Before deciding on any dog-transport approach, we suggest taking a look at
http://www.centerforpetsafety.org/te...study-results/

Unprotected dogs become flying objects in collisions and panic stops - it's a simple matter of physics. We have known of unrestrained dogs to be thrown through windshields. We've also known of terrified dogs, thrown clear of a wreck, to have been struck and killed by another vehicle. Go to enough shows/trials/tests and you'll hear more sad stories than you can imagine.

FWIW, it's one of the reasons we decided to buy Airstream motorhomes rather than Airstream trailers.

Excellent point. Working in rescue near a major Interstate highway we get dogs from police and human officers that have been involved in highway accidents in their owners vehicles and run away unhurt, but so afraid they become lost. Therefore, when we even simply go for a short local drive outs are not only on their seats as outlined previously but strapped in using the back seat, seat belts as anchors.

Thanks

Bud
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 10:14 AM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
1948 22' Liner
1963 22' Safari
Oakland , Florida
Send a message via Yahoo to MsRivet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarcoola View Post
Was wondering if anyone had done anything creative in the back seat of their crew cab to make it more comfortable for their dog. We have an 80 lb lab and was thinking of some type of platform that rests across the seats that we can then put a bed on. Goal would be to keep the storage space under the seats. Needs to be stable and level. Welcome ideas and photos. On the floor is dark, she can't see out the window, and must say I wouldn't want to be down there either.
YES!!! I think this might be more of what you were looking for . . .

My husband, MrRivet, built a dog box for our last chocolate lab. Roxy (60 lbs) was crippled and we had to lift her into/out of the truck ... and even every time in/out of the Airstream. We always wanted her to be apart of the family and did everything to make that happen. She insisted on lying on the console of my husband's truck when we traveled. To make her more comfortable & safer my husband built the dog box because we use to stack up the boat cushions from the cabin of our boat.

When we used the cushions it wasn't safe plus it ate up all our storage space on the interior of the crew cab truck. The 'Dog Box' was quite tricky to build since there are crazy angels and the seat brackets to cut around. Once complete I made a custom 2 piece pad covered with canvas material to cover both the console & top of box. The two piece pad was necessary to be able to flip the piece open that lies on top of the console for access into console when dog wasn't on it.

Roxy passed 2 1/2 years ago. We kept the box because it worked great to hold things in place better while on big trips. We also use two storage bins (one on each side of dog box) that sit perfectly on the floor next to it. Good thing we kept it now we have 10 month old JETT a healthy black lab pushing 70 lbs now. She 'got' the dog box from day one and wouldn't ride anywhere else. We have trained her to enter from the passenger front door. First she jumps into the floor, then to the passenger seat and finally onto the console. Just like hopping onto different platform levels. And even though this one is healthy we always lift her out from that height. Works GREAT!!!

I hope this helps!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2327.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	270.4 KB
ID:	257314   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2341.jpg
Views:	412
Size:	211.2 KB
ID:	257315  

Name:	IMG_2340.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	233.0 KB
ID:	257316   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2335.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	224.4 KB
ID:	257317  

MsRivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 09:02 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' Classic
Moutain Center , California
The 'Dog Box' was quite tricky to build since there are crazy angels and the seat brackets to cut around.

Just wondering....what is a crazy angel?
CJ Winch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 12:08 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Pretty much any of the ones on 'Supernatural'

(Rimshot)

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 05:05 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
San Antonio , Texas
I don't know what size your dogs are, but we have two small shih tzus and our teen daughter also rides in the back of our 2012 Tundra crewmax, so I got a dog car seat for the dogs, one dog is 9 lbs and the other 14 lbs, they both fir in the seat fine, and with harnesses I can attach them to the seat belt and they are safe in case we were in an accident.

http://www.amazon.com/Snoozer-Lookou...s=dog+car+seat
kstewart23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 05:58 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Sherwood , Oregon
We have the Orvis hammocks in our Range Rover and F350 crew cab along with a strap stretched between the seat belts and a cable tether with a large snap hook that slides along the strap stretched between the seat belts with a snap for the dog on the other end of a short cable to connect to the dog's harness. Comfort and safety restraint for the dog and safety for the front seat occupants. The under-seat storage is accessible without undoing the hammock.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0076.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	248.9 KB
ID:	259263  
Old 04-02-2018, 10:36 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

2022 22' Bambi
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Villa Park , Alabama
Just go to Home Depot and buy three large stout plastic totes. They have such a variety of sizes, you'll be able to find them where they just wedge in there perfectly. These are your new suitcases. Cut some plywood to custom fit across the top, pad it, and cut some old carpeting to cover that. Done.
drmox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 04:33 AM   #31
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWRVR View Post
We have the Orvis hammocks in our Range Rover and F350 crew cab along with a strap stretched between the seat belts and a cable tether with a large snap hook that slides along the strap stretched between the seat belts with a snap for the dog on the other end of a short cable to connect to the dog's harness. Comfort and safety restraint for the dog and safety for the front seat occupants. The under-seat storage is accessible without undoing the hammock.
^
X2 For our Sr. PWD, in his younger daze he was always secured in a tethered soft folding crate in the back of the Burb.

Bob
🇱🇷
Old 04-04-2018, 07:34 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
San Antonio , Texas
Carseat for small dogs

I bought a large carseat that is made for dogs. We travel with two small dogs and the larger size allows both of them to be in it at the same time, and see out the window. The seat beat holds it in place and you can connect the dog harnesses to the seat belt if you choose to. This can be found on amazon by searching "dog carseat."

The photo is not mine, but it looks the same.

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-04-04 at 8.32.03 PM.png
Views:	163
Size:	194.8 KB
ID:	307857
kstewart23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 10:10 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2018 33' Classic
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 30' Flying Cloud
Grand Rabbits , Michigan
Alumilene!

My wife and I have two labs, both approximately 60 lbs. We used to have them in the back seat of our F350 Crew Cab, using a Mud River Products seat cover:

https://boytharness.com/product/two-...le-seat-cover/

We also have a Mud River seat back organizer:

https://boytharness.com/product/truck-seat-organizer/

Eventually, we bought this kennel for the truck bed for some of the reasons discussed (ramp, ventilation, safety):
https://alumilene.com/dog-kennels/70-series-kennels/
Old 09-13-2019, 06:08 PM   #34
1 Rivet Member

San Antonio , Texas
I built this into the back of our 2017 F-150 Supercab after removing the original rear seats.
Ran 4” dryer hoses from the a/c outlets under the front seats to dryer hose wall connectors in the dog bed base. The outlets are covered with aluminum grilles so the hounds (1 Ridgeback, 1 Ridgeback/Pitbull X) cannot get their feets caught in the holes or lose toys/treats.
The whole thing is covered in car carpet and there are pillows and dog beds for comfort. Plenty of storage space underneath for bowls, leashes, pooh bags, ods and ends and a ramp which I made in the same style.
The beasts love the space and the solid ‘footing’ compared with wobbly car seats.

Name:	E49A564D-BA9D-4306-AD17-7DF38C298307.jpg
Views:	366
Size:	291.1 KB
ID:	352103

Now everyone travels in style, safety and comfort and I hope this will fit without too much aleration into the F-250 Super Duty when we get it later this year.
Luftstromer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 09:01 PM   #35
1 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
GALVESTON , TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luftstromer View Post
I built this into the back of our 2017 F-150 Supercab after removing the original rear seats.

Ran 4” dryer hoses from the a/c outlets under the front seats to dryer hose wall connectors in the dog bed base. The outlets are covered with aluminum grilles so the hounds (1 Ridgeback, 1 Ridgeback/Pitbull X) cannot get their feets caught in the holes or lose toys/treats.

The whole thing is covered in car carpet and there are pillows and dog beds for comfort. Plenty of storage space underneath for bowls, leashes, pooh bags, ods and ends and a ramp which I made in the same style.

The beasts love the space and the solid ‘footing’ compared with wobbly car seats.

Attachment 352103

Now everyone travels in style, safety and comfort and I hope this will fit without too much aleration into the F-250 Super Duty when we get it later this year.
Nice, but I just fold the seat backs up and have two dog beds that cover the load floor. My Golden and Catahoula can either sleep or stand up and look out the window. They love it.
GWBGE is offline   Reply With Quote