Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > The Pet Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-10-2005, 04:37 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
Rockford , Illinois
Send a message via ICQ to flamingo-kid1 Send a message via AIM to flamingo-kid1
??? .. ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera
I like the idea of the additional information also. We have one pooch who has some hearing loss and due to something in his past (we got him from a senior pet rescue) and doesn't want anybody playing with his eyes or teeth. As a matter of fact we have to give him a "be calm" pill when we send him to the groomer to get clipped. It would have been nice to have known his orginal name but no one knows. A tag may have helped.

Jack
So, did you get an E-tag???
flamingo-kid1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 05:53 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingo-kid1
WHAT the HECK is "Legg Perthes" ??
Poor guy!
This is a rare desease of the hip joint which affects mostly small breed dogs resulting in deformity of the ball of the hip joint, so they actually remove the "ball" from the leg bone and scar tissue will then form to serve as the joint. Outcome is good but what a sad surgery for this year old pup. This is usually hereditary though no other pup has this out of any offspring so we are all a bit stymied!

I wish I never had to know "what the heck" this is either and so does Ernie but he is doing great. We begin doggie PT next week (never knew that existed) but he is back to his tricks as this pic shows him stealing my baby grandsons bottle this week!

Quote:
And the tags ARE waterproof to 50 meters.. not even a SPAZ of a JRT can go THAT deep !!
LOL....who knows!

Tag plus implants sound like good insurance though I also fear someone just keeping him. Great idea to mention the airstream on tags too as there's rarely more than one AS per site (us) where we have camped so far here out west.

Still would be cool to have something that beeps on his harness that could transmit to a device I could carry and set off if he went missing...I'm sure if not available someone will come up with it as there's much $ to be made off all of us when it concerns safety for our precious pets!

Great thread BTW!

Barb
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sBa.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	10368  
Rhodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 07:16 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
Rockford , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaStreamin
This is a rare desease of the hip joint which affects mostly small breed dogs resulting in deformity of the ball of the hip joint, so they actually remove the "ball" from the leg bone and scar tissue will then form to serve as the joint. Outcome is good but what a sad surgery for this year old pup. This is usually hereditary though no other pup has this out of any offspring so we are all a bit stymied!
Barb
Ernie is a DOLL. Dogs gave NO attention span, and JRTs are worse than most, so Ernie has forgotten all about his surgery and is most likely going to LOVE therapy

Think of all the attention he'll get :-) You KNOW he'll suck THAT up.

He's very lucky to have you to do all of this for him.

So why can't he go camping?
Old 02-10-2005, 07:18 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
Rockford , Illinois
Good idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaStreamin
!

Great idea to mention the airstream on tags too as there's rarely more than one AS per site (us) where we have camped so far here out west.

DONE DEAL.... I just added it to their E-tags.

You might think an E-tag is a frivolous item, but actualy it serves a purpose.
Old 02-10-2005, 07:41 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Ernie is a DOLL. Dogs gave NO attention span, and JRTs are worse than most, so Ernie has forgotten all about his surgery and is most likely going to LOVE therapy
I'll let you know how he loves therapy, it's an underwater doggie treadmill that maybe I should sign up for too!

Quote:
So why can't he go camping?
Till he can support himself on all 4's we are keeping him quiet as this surgery can take 3-6 months to recover from, with complete recovery up to a year! He barely touches the ground with his right hind leg so he's a ways from camping but the PT should help along with icing 3x's a day and staying on doggie ibuprofen for a bit.

Thanks for your sweet words!

Barb
Rhodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 12:26 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
When it comes to our babies we can never be too cautious.

Although the e-tag is a great idea - there is always that chance that the battery fails - and poof there goes the information - so it would not be something to rely on soley of course...

We have one dog that is chipped through "Pet Net" and one that is Tattooed. But the one thing that is mandatory is the Rabies shots and the TAG that accompanies it .

The Tags in Canada are sponsored by Merial that provides a lost/found FREE program called "getmehome" http://www.getmehome.ca

The Website and telephone number are on the Tag along with the Vet Clinic info too.

A simple phone call will get you all the information you need - you enter your own profile and as much information needed to get your sweetie home safe.

It is horrible to have a lost dog - we lost Taz the first time we took her into a Regional Forest - she got turned around and we spent 1.5hrs looking for her!!!

Haily also got lost on her first big forest adventure in our back yard - she got turned around and lost sight of us and we her. After lots of calling and heart racing - I headed for home and Peter stayed out in the bush - turns out we had a very smart puppy - she traced her steps back to the house - over a 2 mile hike away - popped open the front door and had a snooze waiting for us to find her!

Both dogs now when off lead don't go too far with out stopping and looking back to see where we are. They each have a bell on their collars so we can hear them as well as see them.

Our biggest fear would be Theft!

Thanks for the Hint - we just updated our file and added our WBCCI# on their files - there is also an option for a photo.

If you happen to be close to a computer when you find a dog that has a Rabies Tag all you have to do is enter the information on their web site and a profile on the dog will come up. But there is always the phone too.
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 07:08 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
Rockford , Illinois
Getmehome.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6921
The Tags in Canada are sponsored by Merial that provides a lost/found FREE program called "getmehome" http://www.getmehome.ca

The Website and telephone number are on the Tag along with the Vet Clinic info too.

A simple phone call will get you all the information you need - you enter your own profile and as much information needed to get your sweetie home safe.

If you happen to be close to a computer when you find a dog that has a Rabies Tag all you have to do is enter the information on their web site and a profile on the dog will come up. But there is always the phone too.
Not in America!

The person who found the dog would have to have the smarts to look up the County, (anmd maybe State) muddle through the phone menu, and then what???

Our local County Animal Control is VERY hard to get ahold of, I had to make several attempts last week just to find out how to TRANSFER Rabies tags for my new girl.
Old 02-11-2005, 07:15 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
Rockford , Illinois
battery

Quote:
When it comes to our babies we can never be too cautious.

Although the e-tag is a great idea - there is always that chance that the battery fails - and poof there goes the information - so it would not be something to rely on soley of course...
The tag is supposed to have a "low battery" indicator,and original the battery is supposed to last two years.

It does say when you change the battery, it shousd go to a jeweler or a place that does watch batteries professionally because of the waterproof seal.

It also says that you have less than 30 secs to put the new battery in before your info is lost.
Old 02-11-2005, 12:22 PM   #29

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Not in America!

The person who found the dog would have to have the smarts to look up the County, (anmd maybe State) muddle through the phone menu, and then what???

Our local County Animal Control is VERY hard to get ahold of, I had to make several attempts last week just to find out how to TRANSFER Rabies tags for my new girl.

Our dog gets their rabies tag from the vet when they get their shot, and it has the vet's name, address and phone number on it. The vet should be able to look up the number and contact us.

Our county dog license has a phone number on it also. Dont forget that at least in our area a county dog license is your pets ticket to good medical care if they are found injured - I guess they figure they'll be able to find you and you'll pay the bill. Animals without a county license who are found injured may just be put to sleep.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 03:54 PM   #30
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Wow! it is amazing how different neighbouring countrys can be.

As the tags are double sided - if the person get the Vet info first then we have left contact numbers and an itinerary with their file.

As you say some are not too swift out there and probably just turn the dog in to the pound - which is not a bad thing either - as most pounds will search for tags then tatoos and chips.

We could just write numbers on her Vic-Collar NOW! what is that saying Murphy's Law - one week before we leave - we dropped $400.00 on surgery for Taz this afternoon. She woke up yesterday with a quarter size hematoma in her right ear flap - it was 3 x the size by the time we could get into the Vet this morning. So now she is on meds, and has to wear her "bucket head" until the incision is healed over.

It happened 2 years ago compliments of Haily with her puppy teeth in her other ear - Haily was a bold puppy back then and within seconds was reefing on the Vic-Collar. After a good wack this time around by Taz a bit off kilter - Haily is giving a wide birth to Taz.

We have great medical care for our stray and lost dogs - most vets within the reach of pounds volunteer.

We are very thankful for the network that the Rabies Imram and other companies have set up.

With all the neat things the States do - it is very amazing that sychronizing rabies tags on a National issuing basis to all vets, States, Counties etc is not available. We have pounds, shelters, breeders, Vets, Vet Clinics, Municipalities, towns, cities, Regions, Provinces and the list goes on. If you can manage taxes and voting then a few tags for those who get Rabies shots - which is a pretty mandatory item for most - you would think to be a simple corporate undertaking.

I sure hope the E-Tags work for you folks. Hubby is a Diabetic on an insulin pump and relies heavily on his batteries - and I tell you he has had many brand new duds! (watch batteries to boot)

A 30 second warning and all the info goes! I don't suppose there is a spot in the back to store the back up batteries???
Old 02-11-2005, 04:09 PM   #31

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
So, did you get an E-tag???
Yep, I ordered 3. For our two and one for my son's.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 08:55 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
Rockford , Illinois
The American Way

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera
Yep, I ordered 3. For our two and one for my son's.

Jack
Do you suppose Bean will give me a kick back??? :-)
Old 02-11-2005, 10:34 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Post Toby's tag

Toby's tag has been ordered from LLBean. He is looking forward to his new accessory for spring.. lol..
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 05:22 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
Keeping a collar on them is so important and I love ugly ones that glow, you can see them almost before you can see the dog. I live in a rural area and have alot of hunters with dogs close by. If I see a dog that doesn't have a tag I will call animal control. When I see a dog with a day glow or any other collar we call the dog tie him so he won't run off and call the number on the tag. I have united many dogs and owners. Left alone they will roam in packs and attack other animals including humans. That has also been a problem for us.
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 07:12 AM   #35
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
Rockford , Illinois
Pack of Terriers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheel
Left alone they will roam in packs and attack other animals including humans. That has also been a problem for us.
I fully agree with you. I do understand that there are wild animals lurking immediately beneath the fur of the pets we sleep with.

BUT, I can't imagine my three little GOOFY Jack Terriers (the old guy is a Rat) in a killer pack. It's laughable. It could make a GREAT Saturday Night Live skit.

Anybody remember the Van Buren Boys on Seinfeld?
Old 02-12-2005, 07:14 AM   #36
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
Rockford , Illinois
Kickback!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happycampers
Toby's tag has been ordered from LLBean. He is looking forward to his new accessory for spring.. lol..

I deserve a kickback!!
Or at least a Margarita.

You guys will lOVE the tag. It's a bit heavy, like a Casio G-Shock men's watch size, maybe a little smaller. But it's COOL.
Old 02-12-2005, 07:20 AM   #37
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
Rockford , Illinois
Quote:
As the tags are double sided - if the person get the Vet info first then we have left contact numbers and an itinerary with their file.

As you say some are not too swift out there and probably just turn the dog in to the pound - which is not a bad thing either - as most pounds will search for tags then tatoos and chips.
Illinois rabies tags, or at least Winnebago County tags, are just little pieces of punched aluminum, always in a different shape. 2005 is a blue scalloped flower. The vet, and County could track the dog by that number. A regular citizen coudl NOT.

It seems as if it's the Rabies vaccination COMPANY that is so on the ball and helpful. That is so wonderful!

But my biggest fear is that whoever foiund them woud just keep them. So collar or not, let's all be VERY careful.
Old 02-12-2005, 09:39 AM   #38

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
We also live in a rural area and see wandering dogs now and then. I have caught a couple, and when you call the owners they are annoyed you stopped them. "If you'd left him alone he knows his way home," like it's normal to let your dog wander the streets while you're gone, annoying the neighborhood! I even had one tell me to just let him go, he'd find his way home! I refused, made him get off his lazy butt and come get his dog! He just lived down the street. Within a year that poor dog got hit by a car.

This bothers me even more because I have stopped catching them when I see them loose (a lot of them are big scary farm dogs), and I'm sure many people, if they saw my dogs wandering down the street, wouldn't even bother to stop them! I've put out the word to my neighbors, if you ever see one of my dogs, stop them!

Hopefully it will never be an issue.

I'm interested to hear what people think of these new-fangled tags when they get them in hand!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 10:26 AM   #39
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
I guess it is all relative like everything in life there are responsible people and then there are the "others" who just don't care about the "stuff" they own or how their "stuff" affects others. Whether it is junky yards, Tiranical kids, out of control pets, oh and lets not forget those who drive like they have never been in a car before and think there is no one else on the roads but them....they are all part of our society - everywhere!

I think the better half of Society put far too much effort into playing it safe - when all is really needed is special care for your pets - not putting them in a situation where they could get lost. Or for those where all you have to do is crack the door and that little you know what is outta there - some consistent training to change that habit would be a lot more productive than a "if I get lost tag".

I know there is always an unforseen circumstance lurking - but most lost dogs are those that have not been trained to stay close to their masters - or homes. Usually ones that never have a chance to run off lead, kept in a fenced back yard or worse always kept on a rope, chain or some type of restraining device.

If they know they can run and come back for a treat or something that says it is nicer at home than it is running at large (except for the breeds that running is their life - like the Hunting Hounds) Then we would probably see a lot less dogs running loose.

Collars can come off, tags can be lost, tatoos can fade, chips can migrate or stop giving their signal - so all you have left is your Pet - and hopefully some sensible training - orientation to where you are and some communication to people in the surrounding area where you camp. Right down to asking the Ranger to let you have 15 minutes to run a drill of "find your camp" - sort of like a fire drill for humans. If your dog gets loose - find out what they do and correct it and reward them.

Oh and Taz is doing great - ear flap is healing just nicely and should be all closed up for our long drive this coming Friday.
Old 02-12-2005, 10:28 AM   #40
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
Rockford , Illinois
new fangled tags

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
I'm interested to hear what people think of these new-fangled tags when they get them in hand!
I had already researched, and bought, and programmed, two tags before I started this thread. I was so impressed with them that I wanted to share.

I have had customers in my shop (Dilly works with me) ask what it is, and I have asked them to tell me if it works; if they can read it.. and they all can.

The biggest problem is getting the dog to quit squirming, but then, that's a terrier.

A couple of people (customers) have said they don't think it's worth the money, like it's just a fad, and frivolous. (these same people can't seem to find the money to buy anything in our shop, either :-) )

I don't really care what their unsolicited opinion is, because in the case of deaf Dephanie, I can seriously justify it.

But we of Airstream fame are prone to liking high-tech and originality, now, aren't we???.