Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 01-26-2020, 01:39 PM   #121
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
How on earth do you interpret this thread as “an anti-pit bull rant”?

Where do you find that in these posts?

I notice this is your first post. Seriously.

A pit bull is a breed of dog, however, and I dare say most of us here don’t confuse them with a boxer or a beagle.

Maggie
WADR...a 'pit bull' is not a breed.
A 'pit' is where scum bags fight dogs, any breed of dog.
Please don't confuse the AmStaff or Bull Terrier and call it a 'pit' anything.

woof-woof

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 01-26-2020, 01:41 PM   #122
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Traverse City , Michigan
We’ve always traveled with big dogs (125 lbs). Extender leashes are not a good idea. With a large, powerful dog they can snap them no matter what weight the manufacturer says they’re good for. A 6’ leash and someone who can control them is the only answer.
We have friends who were traveling with a small, fluffy 10’ dog who hated other dogs. At a rest area a man with a very large dog walked toward them. Our friends told the man their dog didn’t like other dogs and please stay back. The man laughed and said “your dog won’t hurt ours”. Our friend’s dog went whacko per usual when the large dog got close. That dog grabbed the little guy by the neck and shook him. They rushed the dog to a vet where he later died.
Old 01-26-2020, 02:04 PM   #123
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
WADR...a 'pit bull' is not a breed.
A 'pit' is where scum bags fight dogs, any breed of dog.
Please don't confuse the AmStaff or Bull Terrier and call it a 'pit' anything.

woof-woof

Bob
🇺🇸
I beg to differ....it is a recognized breed.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amer...t_Bull_Terrier

Regardless...

Maggie
Old 01-26-2020, 02:31 PM   #124
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Dog control while camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMKovalchik View Post

...snip...

We have friends who were traveling with a small, fluffy 10’ dog who hated other dogs. At a rest area a man with a very large dog walked toward them. Our friends told the man their dog didn’t like other dogs and please stay back. The man laughed and said “your dog won’t hurt ours”. Our friend’s dog went whacko per usual when the large dog got close. That dog grabbed the little guy by the neck and shook him. They rushed the dog to a vet where he later died.

It’s thoughtless owners like this who deserve jail time as far as I’m concerned. Minimally, I hope your friends sued for everything the careless owner had. I can’t stand that blend of maximum combined arrogance and ignorance. Predictable recipe for disaster every single time.
Old 01-26-2020, 02:55 PM   #125
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
A dog snatching another and shaking it dead would warrant under most circumstances a police report, in my book.

When I am walking Lily and we pass another dog I pull her up short, and tell the other walker that she doesn’t like other dogs.

Actually, it’s not that she doesn’t like them, but that she is afraid of them until she gets to know them.

She’s been bitten a couple of times, and wants strange dogs to keep their distance.

Maggie
Old 01-26-2020, 03:14 PM   #126

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Sparks , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Train View Post
Ugh. I'm pretty disappointed to see this thread degenerate needlessly into an anti-pit bull rant. 'Pit bull' is a catch-all phase for a large beefy dog that got into trouble. It could be a boxer x beagle or a mastiff x lab, or whatever...Fear + ignorance = prejudice, and it does not elevate the conversation here at all. (Am I the only person who loves ALL DOGS and Airstreams? )

I have a lab x and a pit bull x and the lab is the reactive, fearful one. He's always been nervy, and I know I can't 100% trust him. My pit mix, on the other hand, has a much sunnier disposition. (And both have been attacked by off-leash dogs. My pit mix did not try to pursue the other dog. She stayed her ground and defended me, until I chased the other dog off with the help of another guy. I told her she was a good girl and we kept walking, calmly on our way. I then called animal control to let them know there was a loose dog.) Do I leash my dogs? Yes. Have they been trained? Yes. Do I walk them both at once as a petite woman? No!

It's awful and scary when dogs attack, or even scuffle. In addition to these moments with my own dogs, I've worked in shelters. I get it, and I feel for anyone who's been through that trauma. However, to spread misinformation and speculate wildly based on breed (they would've attacked me next, etc.) does nothing to help arm people with the common sense info and skills they need to manage their dogs and sometimes tricky situations with other dogs. There was not an abundance of pit-related aggression in the shelters I worked in. The pits were more likely to be confident, chill people-pleasers. It's a dog by dog, situation by situation thing. The worst case of aggression anyone at my last shelter witnessed was one greyhound (silently!) killing another in their shared pen.

Keep your dogs leashed in public. Exercise and train them. Avoid unduly stressing them. Know their triggers. Be a gentle leader. Feed them a good diet. Learn dog body language. There are many guides re: this. Dogs communicate clearly via body language. You can read your own dog's stress signals, as well others dogs'. It's not the be-all end all, but it's a great tool in your dog-managing tool belt. Any dog, regardless of breed, when supported by a responsible, loving owner/handler is set up for success.

How many times do you need to see news articles about the kind and loving family pit that kills a child or an elderly person! You can be sure you won’t read about that kind of attack by a Yorkie! You want an anti-pit rant I’m more than happy to oblige! The breed should be eliminated! Of course YOURS would never be the one to flip out...
Old 01-26-2020, 03:39 PM   #127
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
I beg to differ....it is a recognized breed.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amer...t_Bull_Terrier

Regardless...

Maggie
WADR..no need to beg.
I'm not in the UK and your other referenced organization is much like the ACC, the American Cockapoo Club, make up a breed and make up a club to join.
The AKC, which we do belong to, does not recognize any such 'pit' breed.

POI...
Twelve countries in Europe, as well as Australia, Canada, Ecuador, Malaysia, New Zealand, Puerto Rico, Singapore, and Venezuela, have enacted some form of breed-specific legislation on pit bull-type dogs, including American Pit Bull Terriers, ranging from outright bans to restrictions and conditions on ownership. The state of New South Wales in Australia places restrictions on the breed, including mandatory sterilization. The breed is banned in the United Kingdom, in the Canadian province of Ontario,[10] and in many locations in the United States.
Bob
🇺🇸
Old 01-26-2020, 03:49 PM   #128
Rivet Master

I guess it really comes down to this. Those folks who travel with dogs that have even been trained by the best will never have a problem until they do, and even for some, they still won't understand why they had a problem after it happens or how their actions effect others.

There are those that will keep trying to get the folks above to understand a point of view that dogs can and will cause problems for campers. That problem could be one of many, dogs barking, fighting, peeing stinking up the place, etc...

The courts will continue to hear cases of dog owners, some dog owners will only learn after having to pay fines or judgments.

But, until all dog owners learns there is risk in owning a dog, others will have a fear of being bitten by or even killed by some dog and will have to live with barking dogs and smelling the odor of poop and pee. Maybe even getting off our shoe.

Since I no longer have a dog, maybe I learned from other peoples mistakes.

Enjoy,
Old 01-26-2020, 04:55 PM   #129
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Idaho Falls , Idaho
This is what we use for a 70lb lab and a poodle. Very quick to set up and take down. The dogs can come and go into the coach as they please. Our son uses the same setup with a 25 foot sob trailer. You can hinge the lattice to fit in your unit. The lattice is easy to cut to fit the underside contour of your unit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9787100D-9B97-4711-9E01-ED87522D8FDD.jpeg
Views:	37
Size:	167.5 KB
ID:	359938  
Old 01-26-2020, 06:38 PM   #130
Silver Spud

2019 27' Globetrotter
Island Park , Idaho
This is what has been happening a couple of times in a Texas State Park - dogs on a tether in camp site, however when we walk our dog tethered dog(s) come running full speed barking at our dog. Twice were 2 pits, 1 was a german shepherd & 1 was a mixed breed/border collie type. They can get to the edge of the campsite & it's SUPER scary & you are HOPING the latch holds!!!!
Old 01-26-2020, 07:42 PM   #131
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by majorairhead View Post
Shocking response. Why am I NOT surprised.
Look, I generally like dogs. But I really HATE having my crotch sniffed. Is that simple and blunt enough? I am also not fond of realizing I have just stepped in fresh dog poop. Here is an old and wise saying:

Your freedom to swing your fist ends where my nose begins.

I can explain that to you, but I cannot understand it for you.

There are half a million dog attacks in this country every year. Some of the anti-dog people are survivors of seriois injuries. I just ran screaming from one dog for several months. Our family home had a rental property next door, 15 feet between houses, and one set of tenants were just awful: both parents alcoholics and pill heads, 3 to 5 various unwashed and uncivilized children who would steal everything that wasn't nailed down and use the business end of a broken beer bottle to intimidate smaller children, and an old female dog that attacked anyone who came down the sidewalk on their (and our) side of the street.

LOTS of children on the block - about 20 baby boom kids, all in danger with several minor nips, and the owner still got the dog BACK from the pound after two attacks! Someone, my mom? Finally told the landlord that 3 or more families were moving in and out of the house all the time, and the landlord got rid of them all fast. The worst part of the whole experience was the dog.

I lost touch with almost all of those neighbor kids half a century ago, but none of us asked for dogs as pets after that summer of fear.
Old 01-26-2020, 08:03 PM   #132
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Sadly you have to pass a test to GET a driver's license. Not a very good one or a.very tough one, and you don't have to get recertified regularly.

Yet you can have pets, and worse CHILDREN, with no knowledge, aptitude or accountability.

I was raising a brother and sister when I was 12. Pets take almost as much effort as children, and I for one RESPECT how hard it is to commit to years of dedicated caring to have either or both. I chose not to have children. I will babysit on occasion, and walk away smiling.
Old 01-26-2020, 08:28 PM   #133
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
So this thread is about camping with dogs, and being respectful at the same time.

Bad things can happen to people. Sometimes it's bad dogs, bad parents, bad strangers, or just bad stuff. We are individuals born of our circumstances.

Generally, if I'm approaching someone with my dog and their body language shows no desire to interact with him (my dog has no feel for boundaries and I get that), I will steer him physically away. That's just common sense and respect.
Old 01-26-2020, 11:58 PM   #134
3 Rivet Member

Middletown , Maryland
Severe dog restrictions in national parks

I haven't read through all pages, but I did search the thread and couldn't find any mention of the rules at national parks.

While there are a few exceptions, most national parks:

1) Do not allow dogs anywhere except where vehicles can go -- roads and parking lots. On a 6' leash of course.

2) Dogs cannot be left unattended, anywhere, anytime, no matter what.

It doesn't matter if the dog is in a perfectly comfortable RV/trailer and safely inside a kennel or crate. No unattended dogs, period.

What the above means is that you cannot do anything in the park -- not together anyway.

With the parks being as crowded as they are, I can see the need for these rules during the summer tourist season, but the rules could be relaxed at other times.

Anyway, I just wanted to mention that for those who may not be aware.
Old 01-27-2020, 05:01 AM   #135
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
2016 23' International
Fernandina Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherzi View Post
So this thread is about camping with dogs, and being respectful at the same time.

Bad things can happen to people. Sometimes it's bad dogs, bad parents, bad strangers, or just bad stuff. We are individuals born of our circumstances.

Generally, if I'm approaching someone with my dog and their body language shows no desire to interact with him (my dog has no feel for boundaries and I get that), I will steer him physically away. That's just common sense and respect.
Agreed. We bought our first Airstream to enable us to bring our dogs on vacation, specifically, from NC to Florida. Then we moved to Florida but we continue to bring our dogs to the beach, which here on the First Coast, and Amelia Island in particular is allowed. We practice good dog management regularly, and yes, you can tell if people are comfortable around dogs or not. When traversing the long narrow beach access bridges across the dunes, I tighten up the leash and keep the dogs by my side and allow room to pass on the other. Same on the beach. Lots of folks with their dogs tied to their beach chairs and vehicles... we just steer clear and tighten up on the leash.

But what is really amusing is how many folks of all ages seek us out, as they are on vacation and have left their dogs behind because their vacation rental does not allow them, and they just need a dog fix... And we, and especially our dogs, welcome their attention! In fact, we explain that these are unofficial public service dogs, providing tourists therapy!

BTW, agree the long retractable leashes are not acceptable when there is a 6 ft leash regulation. See it all the time here on the beaches and remind them of the several hundred dollar fine just as there is for not cleaning up after your dog.
Old 01-27-2020, 05:45 AM   #136
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomzstream View Post
BTW, agree the long retractable leashes are not acceptable when there is a 6 ft leash regulation. See it all the time here on the beaches and remind them of the several hundred dollar fine just as there is for not cleaning up after your dog.
We frequently use retractable leashes. When no one is around it gives the dogs some freedom. If anyone is near or approaching, the dogs come to our side and the leashes are locked at less than 6 feet.
Old 01-27-2020, 06:15 AM   #137
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
The problem with retractibles that the dog can run circles around you and you get nasty rope burns on your legs... Plus if the dog runs to the end of the leash too fast the spring can give your dog whiplash. The handle is pretty bulky too. And bigger dogs can break that thin leash.

In a field or large yard they may be OK, but around other dogs where unpredictable things might happen, they are actively dangerous.
Old 01-27-2020, 07:00 AM   #138
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam View Post
We frequently use retractable leashes. When no one is around it gives the dogs some freedom. If anyone is near or approaching, the dogs come to our side and the leashes are locked at less than 6 feet.
Ditto, tho for them to work effectively around others you still have to have a manageable dog.

I haven’t noticed a lot of campgrounds scolding for using a leash longer than 6’, and suspect it is like the “no alcohol” rule...they don’t care what is in your glass, but don’t have a party and/or cause any problems.

Maggie
Old 01-27-2020, 10:59 AM   #139
Stay CazuaL

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
I have a custom contraption so that they are tethered to the rear or front of my rig depending on how I am park in relation to the camp layout.

If I feel it would be dangerous for my dogs or myself, I just avoid the situation. Simple really.
*Virtual campfire at https://www.facebook.com/groups/Airs...dictsforAdults
Old 01-27-2020, 11:54 AM   #140
Rivet Master

2020 25' Flying Cloud
Atlanta , Georgia
This is a joke, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOChucky View Post
Everyone's responses to the camping with dogs issue is VERY telling. NO ONE said to TRAIN THEIR dog! I need no lease for my dog. I have a lease, but I don't need it. My dog is ABSOLUTELY obedient! He's so because I TRAINED him to be so!
It has to be a joke. Because training my dog doesn't keep an out of control dog with an out of control owner from hurting my dog. Just like my having an electric fence only controls my dog, not an out of control dog/coyote/bear/30-50 feral hogs from coming in my yard and attacking my dogs.

So you are obviously kidding.
Closed Thread