Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > The Pet Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-01-2004, 07:20 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Dining and whining?

HI! Its getting to be traveling season again! YAhoooo!
Looking forward to a few road trips with HooverVanDamDog and Hubby. Van Dam Hubby?
Anyway........What do people do when its time for dining out? So far we've traveled and eaten at places with outside dining.
Has anyone left their pooch somewhere and gone inside to eat? I would only risk leaving him in the car if the weather conditions were right...low temperature ()50-60) and not alot of sun.....we can't leave him in the rv as I know he'll bark..maybe not the whole time but he'll have to have his say......
Just curious as to what others do. (I myself am fine with patio dining and have a few great guide books for that...Hubby wants to be able to go out in the evening and listen to music if a local band is playing. Thank heavens we never had kids without fur!)
Smiles, Amy
Old 03-01-2004, 08:51 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
Keep the dog in the trailer with one of these.
Old 03-01-2004, 08:59 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Dining and whining?

Greetings Amy!

I have found that it works well to carry an extra set of keys for my Suburban. It then becomes possible to leave the truck idling with the Air Conditioners running (front and rear) for the comfort of my two Chihuahuas with the doors locked. In six years, I haven't encountered any problems doing this - - the longest period having been just under two hours. Even when the ambient temperature was 102 degrees, the Suburban kept its cool as did my little ones. My calculation showed that it took less than one gallon to run the air conditioning for one hour. I do have my cooling system thoroughly serviced every other spring, and replace hoses every fourth year to insure that I don't experience heating problems.

When I tow with my Cadillac, the Chihuahuas have to stay in the trailer. Other than at Rallys this isn't typically a great problem as with the air conditioner running they rarely notice anyone about the campground unless they happen to get within about six feet of one of the windows or the door. I am anticipating some problems from my young male Chihuahua as he has gotten in the habbit of barking at my neighbors beagle that has a barking problem.

I tried the Ultralight Sonic Bark Control Collar in Maurice's link with my Chihuahuas on the recommendation of a friend who travels with terriers. With my Chihuahuas, the result was every time the collar corrected for their bark they would howl as if they were being abused - - needless to say it found its way to a shelf. Of the number of people with whom I have spoken who have used these devices, most have been satisfied - - my Chihuahuas just reacted differently.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 09:08 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1968 22' Safari
1976 27' Overlander
Newport , Washington
Kevin,

You're just going to have to leave the male at home for the June rally. LOL Just kidding, you see, we're neighbors, and I'm a strange one, it might bark at me...

what about wining and airstreaming, this thread made me want to organize a Napa Rally....MMMMmmmm!
Old 03-01-2004, 09:40 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Greetings Tin Can Luv!

Unless things progress very quickly, the Chihuahuas will likely be staying with my father as he has volunteered to baby sit until my house sells - - I left the Chihuahuas with him when I was home for a visit this weekend - - they will be learning some new habbits from my father's two Chihuahuas. If cleaning and packing goes as planned, the house should be on the market by the middle of March. I bought a house less than a mile from my father and will be making the move South later this spring/summer if all goes well.

Kevin
AIR #827
Old 03-01-2004, 09:46 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1968 22' Safari
1976 27' Overlander
Newport , Washington
Yo Quiero Taco Bell....Ok how tired are you of that, but I had to, OK, my other self made me. I swear, I'm turning into one of them...the FORUM OTHERS if you know what I mean.

Do you breed them? My sister lives next to a long haired Chiwawa ( i know....Chihuahua) , former show dog... cute as a button. It' rules the roost... Bosses around the Golden Retriever.

Wouldn't mind having one, but somewhere along the way, I went from dog guy to cat guy....

I know, I know, this is for another thread......
Old 03-01-2004, 09:54 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Dining and whining?

Greetings Tin Can Luv!

Quote:
Do you breed them?
When I first started with Chihuahuas, that was my intention, but after learning of the risks and dangers for the small tiny toys that I usually buy it was an easy decision to forego breeding. Between my father and I, we have three females and one male. Two of the females are under three pounds while the third is just under four pounds - - the two that are under three pounds would be far too risky to breed due to their small size without near constant attention from a veterinarian or experienced breeder - - the larger female would be less likely to experience problems but just haven't wanted to expose her to the risks either.

Kevin
AIR #827
Old 03-01-2004, 10:16 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
No barking here!

One of the advantages of traveling with a fuzzy feline! We put Lily in the trailer with windows open and she goes to her favorite spot & takes a nap Fortunately, we don't get mega-hot temps so she's just thankful to have some "down time" from traveling down the road...

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 05:42 AM   #9
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Our pooch stays in the coach when we stop for more than 5 minutes. If it gets warm, we now have the fantastic fans to help keep her comfortable (they run off the battery). For us, a departing bribe (dog treat) keeps her distracted while we leave. Unless she sees another dog, we're lucky little to no barking!
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 07:16 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

HI!
That's Hubby's idea for when we get the new diesel truck.....to leave the a/c running so Hoov will be comfortable. I know he's going to bark.........he's a dog.......and an expressive one..... He's part terrier, part chihuahua, part cocker, part anything you can think of. He was rescued from Puerto Rico and is one amazing little guy. well he's 40 pounds but still amazing.
I have been trying to build up his comfort level by taking him on errands with me so he has to stay in the car for a bit by himself. He's always within my view though (can you say nervous Mom?) but he can't always see me. And yes, I do get strange looks from the people inside as I am in their shop, peeking out of curtains, etc.
I posted this message because a few times people have told me they have been kicked out of campgrounds because their dog barked.....wanted to see if there were any special tricks. A collar wouldn't work on him. Like your chihuahuas he would be crushed..even just to scold him is traumatic! Not the right approach for this dog!
Thanks for the input. Congratulations to the cat travelers. I love seeing a cat all curled up in the warm trailer windows......
if hubby wasn't allergic ours would go along as well
Smiles!
Old 03-02-2004, 12:32 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Dallas , Texas
Our dogs have often done better in the MH if we leave a radio or TV on. We guess that it covers a lot of the outside noise that they otherwise react to.
Old 03-02-2004, 01:57 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Hmmm now thats an idea Edie. I should get a portable DVD player for the car. Hoover does love to watch TV! (Yes, Animal Planet but also motorcycle races and some dramas! weird dog!)

Thanks for the advice
Smiles, Amy
Old 03-02-2004, 02:27 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

I don't know if this may be advisable inside a trailer?... My son and daughter have had terrific results using a bark activated citronella collar. They have (er...had) a very yappy border collie. (The collar gives off a spray of citronella when the dog barks). The dog got the idea and stopped barking when it went off the second time. He has been great ever since. My son periodically puts the collar on (turned off so it will not spray). The dog knows what it is and is very quiet. The citronella spray is annoying, but is apparently a very effective correction.
I was babysitting this dog some time ago, and forgot to take it off when I put him into his crate. He barked at my dog and I heard the spray go off. I didn't smell any citronella. Maybe the spray is very faint?
Anyhow, I think it's a great tool for some pooches, and citronella is good for repelling bugs.
MaShep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 02:32 PM   #14
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Hey if the dog is outside and barks, it can keep the skeeters away too!
Old 03-02-2004, 02:42 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

A citronella spray? Interesting. I could just see my dog .......Bouf Bouf spray Achoo Bouf Bouf Spray Achoo too funny
And good idea Twinkie about the skeeters.....but then I'd want him to bark! LOL
Something to look into.
This really isn't such an issue with me. I can adapt and eat take out just fine. We've found some GREAT restaurants with outside dining. Just takes some effort, thats all. One place in Portsmouth NH we sat on the outside patio by the 4ft fence, Hoover sat on the other side of the fence. Was kinda funny actually. Hubby is the one that has pouted about not being able to go to a spot to hear a band and have a brew. So I'm trying to make things comfy and happy for all!
Sigh...could you imagine if we had kids?
Old 03-02-2004, 03:01 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

Actually, my son felt badly about buying the collar. But he said when he heard him start barking and how quickly he stopped, (Bouf Bouf spray Achoo...Bouf Bouf spray Achoo), he wished he'd purchased it sooner! Your discription is exactly what happened!
When it went off in my house (in the dog crate), the dog didn't even sneeze. I expected to get a face full when I opened the crate door. I'll ask him how strong the spray is. Dogs are so sensitive, maybe it is a very faint spray?
MaShep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 03:10 PM   #17
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally posted by Amy in an Argosy
A I can adapt and eat take out just fine. We've found some GREAT restaurants with outside dining. Just takes some effort, thats all. One place in Portsmouth NH we sat on the outside patio by the 4ft fence, Hoover sat on the other side of the fence.
Sigh...could you imagine if we had kids?
Amazing how we change our lives even for our pets....can't even begin to tell you how may things we've done to keep the pooch ruling over the roost!
Old 03-02-2004, 03:13 PM   #18

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
We have done it both ways. Sometimes we take the dogs with us and leave them in the car, but I am also a nervous mom, and prefer them to be within sight at all times. I'm afraid someone will steal the car with them in it - who would be stupid enough to do that? Anyway, we only leave them in the car if the temps are mild. I'm pretty paranoid about that too.

We've also left them in the trailer, usually for a short trip. I haven't heard any complaints. Judging from how they act when we're home I'd guess they'd only bark if someone got real close. There's some barking when we come back, but you can't help that. We try to bribe them to be quiet with cookies, which works but rewards them for barking.

My husband's idea of a perfect trip is one where the pets are at home with the petsitters! Otherwise I'm just worried about them all the time when they're not with us!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 04:17 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Silvertwinkie

Amazing how we change our lives even for our pets....can't even begin to tell you how may things we've done to keep the pooch ruling over the roost!
Oh I wouldn't have it any other way!

The benefits far outweight any troubles as far as I'm concerned. Maybe if Hubby stood at the door, stuffed toy in mouth, wiggling his butt with joy just to see me when I come home well then I'd think differently
Old 03-02-2004, 04:21 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
Amy

I was just sitting here stunned, with that butt wag'n mental picture. Very cute.