Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > The Pet Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-20-2009, 10:15 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Richard and Jan. My heart goes out to you as I know how much it hurts.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 01:10 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
Sorry to hear that Jan.We know how you and Richard loved that dog.
Yours
Jim and Min
Old 10-20-2009, 01:20 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Chicago , Illinois
Sorry to hear about your loss, our 8 yr old cat "Pounce" passed away last week. I know how rough it is.

Sympathies.
Jezibels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 01:55 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Sugar Grove , Ohio
Find a copy of The Rainbow Bridge. If you haven't read it before, it puts into words just how important our pets are. I've given it to several folks after the loss of a pet - and many others have asked for it. My condolences to you at this sad time. Only time will help with the feelings - the loss will never go away. We lost our 4-legged friend a number of years ago - he was one week short of his twentieth birthday. I've told many folks that we had "Cinders" longer than most families have children in their home. And, he was the perfect pet - never got on the furniture, never begged for food and in 20 years, cost us about $8 in vet bills. But, there are times that we miss him terribly. Enjoy those you still have!
pilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 02:11 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

1998 28' Excella
Dolores , Colorado
Richard and Jan;

Sorry to hear about Bandit. I know what you mean when you say your other look around the house for her. When we lost our black Schauzer a couple of years ago Hunter looked all over the property looking for him. Sometimes I think he still looks for Mac.

Cold and windy up on the rim today. Lots of smoke in the forest from that controlled burn going on.

Talk to you later.

Bob and Lou
4CU/CAC
WBCCI # 10105
AIR # 28748
dogpound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 02:14 PM   #26
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Thank you to everyone for your kind words...

We were traveling for two weeks and left all the dogs at home with a friend who had moved into our home while we were gone. We know that Bandit was not well and was not up to the trip. Jan called everyday to make sure things were fine. We are grateful that we had returned home before she passed.

On this trip Jan selected an audio book to help pass the hours as we drove. The book was Marley & Me. We laughed at the antics of Marley who very much reminded us of our Yellow Lab, Gracie. We cried at the end as they suffered the loss of their friend Marley. We did not realize that a week later I would be the one digging the grave beneath the tree in the back yard.

A very special quote from the book:
Quote:
A dog has no use for fancy cars, big homes, or designer clothes. A water log stick will do just fine. A dog doesn't care if your rich or poor, clever or dull, smart or dumb. Give him your heart and he'll give you his. How many people can you say that about? How many people can make you feel rare and pure and special? How many people can make you feel extraordinary?
Thank you again...

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 02:39 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Antlers , Oklahoma
I am so sorry for you loss. My thoughts are with you.

Mel

2006 GMC 1500 SLE Crew Cab
5.3L V8 Towing Package
Equal-i-zer E2

AIR # 40365
TAC # OK-3
mwells4654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 03:28 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

1961 16' Bambi
Mancos , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to AirstreamGypsy
Richard and Jan,

I'm so sorry for the loss of your little one. A bittersweet moment in the choice of your traveling audio. I hope Gracie and Smokie as well as you and Jan don't have too difficult a time with her passing.
My Earthship
AirstreamGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 04:18 PM   #29
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Sorry for your loss

It is very hard losing a member of your family......we lost our dog 10 years ago and have just had the courage to adopt a 2 year old boxer rescue dog two months ago....we named him Bandit......as he has stolen our hearts......so sorry for your Bandit. Paula
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 05:00 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
1963 24' Tradewind
1990 34' Limited
Cape Coral , Florida
I've been back to your post half a dozen times today trying to find the words, but they fail me. Suffice to say that I appreciate how important a member of the family Bandit was and on behalf of our 14 yr old Lab, Emmie, we're sorry for your loss.
dieseleagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 08:44 AM   #31
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Greenville , South Carolina
There are no words. Took us years due to the pain to get another dog when we lost our boxer "Lucy".

"Heaven goes by favor; if it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in."

Mark Twain
SilverHoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 09:28 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
1959 22' Flying Cloud
fairview , New Mexico
I'm sure you and Jan are going to miss your little girl. Just remember the good memories and show your love to the other two. I know the miss her and don't understand . They need all the love you can give them.
arodriguez60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 09:53 AM   #33
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
We've had four Airstreams and four dogs; we understand your grief.
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 10:02 AM   #34
4 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
ARLINGTON , TEXAS
Send a message via Skype™ to WILDRTEXAS
With a heavy heart I read your post. I am so sorry for the loss of your sweet companion, Bandit.

The Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.
All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.
They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.
You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.
Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....
Author unknown
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion...

Taylor 1/20/96 - 11/28/08

WILDRTEXAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 10:12 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
Roseville , California
Send a message via AIM to warbler5
RIP, Bandit! All the balls are yours and the treats never run out in dog heaven.

My heart goes out to you, Jan and Richard.

AIR #6287
TAC #CA-26
WBCCI #3933/4CU
Old 10-21-2009, 03:06 PM   #36
3 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari SS SE
Colleyville , Texas
So sorry to hear of Bandit's passing. It sounds like she had a wonderful life camping with her family. I am sure you were wonderful parents. Love to all.
LisaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 03:12 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDRTEXAS View Post
With a heavy heart I read your post. I am so sorry for the loss of your sweet companion, Bandit.

The Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.
All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.
They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.
You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.
Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....
Author unknown
This is beautiful. Thanks for the post. It is a tribute to not only Bandit, but to all of our other beloved animals.
sempi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 09:22 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Cruz , California
Sammy

This has been a sad but comforting thread, as we share your grief at losing Bandit. We lost our dear Sammy today, and will so miss his happy little being. He absolutely loved it when we pulled up the Airstream to get it ready for a trip. All gophers and moles were safe while he sat in high-alert on the porch, waiting for the "OK, Lets go!"
Our hearts are with you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2291.JPG
Views:	136
Size:	408.9 KB
ID:	89767  
Old 10-27-2009, 07:12 AM   #39
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
So sorry to hear of your loss

Words cannot express the sorrow of losing one's dear dog friend.....it is such a sad time......it took us 10 years to be able to open our hearts to another one......take care, paula
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 09:20 AM   #40
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
I'm sorry for not seeing this sooner and am so sorry for your loss. Bandit's memory will be with you forever.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote