Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > The Pet Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-28-2010, 07:19 AM   #61
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Two Rivers , Alaska
Dogs

Yes- my big girls (70+ pounds) go everywhere. I'm luckier than most, mine are search and rescue dogs- both dane mix mutts- and therefore classified as "working" dogs with ID badges. We have a silver streak (yes, I'm the red-headed stepchild here) and they fit great in the 16' space. We follow several basic rules: Long morning walk before getting in the car, long evening walk before bed. Stop for lots of pee breaks, and Google. There are websites and books deadicated to K9 friendly parks and campgrounds. Plus, if you're camping with other people with furry family members, they are likely to be more tolerant if the dogs decide to bark at the evil racoons at 3am.
Carmilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 09:40 AM   #62
4 Rivet Member

2003 22' International CCD
Seattle , Washington
Send a message via MSN to JulianneJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broccoli View Post
It's really encouraging to read all of these replies. My wife and I have a two two year old great danes that have us upsizing everything! Luke is 170 and Leia 125, though they will both likely gain weight for another year. Had to trade in the Tahoe for a Suburban, and even with that finding enough room for all the camping gear is a challenge. We also ended up with a 6 person tent for the four of us, that the dogs have only attempted to walk though the side of once or twice while it was zipped up. The things is with all of their stuff we're now just camping near the car anyway...

The point of my rambling introduction is that we're now contemplating what size/layout works well for people with danes/multiple dogs. We figure ideally there would be room for both dogs up off the floor even if that means one of them in the bed. Leaning towards the 25FB flying cloud, but the tow is also a consideration, as the suburban is the half ton (at least with all the extra tow packages) and there will be regular climbs of between 2k-6k feet in our future. Any advice appreciated...

Look at your precious pups! The tent could be theirs alone but we all know Danes MUST be near their people.
Is your Suburban a V8? If so, no problem towing a 25ft Flying Cloud. Check your tow capacity on the vehicle and compare it with the weight of the model you are looking at but in my opinion you should be fine. My Tahoe pulls my 22ft perfectly and I almost always travel with fresh water tank full.

As far as sleeping puppies I would advise you to designate their spots from the get go and make that the routine. When its time for bed or nap/alone time for them in the rv they have their spots and that's that. There simply isn't enough room in an rv for dogs to be milling around. Strict rules in mine: your inside you're laying down. And ofcourse they have their super cozy outside beds for comfort when we're just chillin' in the great outdoors, which they also lay on while riding in the back of the Tahoe, this has worked out great for me.

Unfortunetly Hannah has taken her last camping trip. Her legs are in bad shape. Now its just a matter of keeping her comfy until her last day which won't be long from now.

~Julianne

2003 International CCD
JulianneJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 10:15 AM   #63
Rivet Master

heads up on dog friendly motels

My daughter got me tickets to see James Taylor and Carole King
( IN ST. LOUIS 800 MILES AWAY ) for fathers day. So on our down and dirty weekend road trip without the Airstream, we had to stay at a motel.
The Red Roof Inn welcomes dogs. I immediatly started missing my watch dog, and my guard dog. (The concert was awesome, the time with baby girl.......priceless. 14 hours of singing and playing mandolin while looking at corn fields, and corn fields, and corn fields)
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 04:40 PM   #64
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Waiting to Escape.... , Somewhere between sanity and insanity ... on the brink of both.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianneJ View Post

Unfortunetly Hannah has taken her last camping trip. Her legs are in bad shape. Now its just a matter of keeping her comfy until her last day which won't be long from now.

~Julianne
I am so sorry to hear that. It is heart breaking. Our heeler has injured both her back knees and has the onset of arthritis in her hip/lower back region and though she's doing ok... it has caused me to think about things I'd rather not. Sending compassion and empathy your way!

TAC OK-42

Come See Minnie Mouse at the TAC Walt Disney World Fort Wilderness Rally
https://airstreamingdreaming.blogspot.com

"Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'." - The Shawshank Redemption
]
rebelstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 04:46 PM   #65
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Waiting to Escape.... , Somewhere between sanity and insanity ... on the brink of both.
Quote:
It's really encouraging to read all of these replies. My wife and I have a two two year old great danes that have us upsizing everything! Luke is 170 and Leia 125, though they will both likely gain weight for another year. Had to trade in the Tahoe for a Suburban, and even with that finding enough room for all the camping gear is a challenge. We also ended up with a 6 person tent for the four of us, that the dogs have only attempted to walk though the side of once or twice while it was zipped up. The things is with all of their stuff we're now just camping near the car anyway...

The point of my rambling introduction is that we're now contemplating what size/layout works well for people with danes/multiple dogs. We figure ideally there would be room for both dogs up off the floor even if that means one of them in the bed. Leaning towards the 25FB flying cloud, but the tow is also a consideration, as the suburban is the half ton (at least with all the extra tow packages) and there will be regular climbs of between 2k-6k feet in our future. Any advice appreciated...

That is the sweetest looking pair!

TAC OK-42

]
Old 07-28-2010, 07:06 PM   #66
3 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
1964 24' Tradewind
1956 18' "Footer"
Southern , Minnesota
Just had to say hi because of my Airforums handle. Some day I'd love to get a great Dane but for now I'm just a Dane with a chocolate lab. Peace!

Steve "Dancin" Hansen
TAC MN-31

visit my almost yearly blog https://www.bluessafari.blogspot.com
GR8DANE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 08:01 PM   #67
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by GR8DANE View Post
Just had to say hi because of my Airforums handle. Some day I'd love to get a great Dane but for now I'm just a Dane with a chocolate lab. Peace!
You really need to rectify that situation. A Dane after all must have its doggy counter part!

TAC OK-42

]
Old 07-29-2010, 12:49 AM   #68
2 Rivet Member

Eugene , Oregon
Mobile Dane Hotel

Quote:
Look at your precious pups! The tent could be theirs alone but we all know Danes MUST be near their people.
Is your Suburban a V8? If so, no problem towing a 25ft Flying Cloud. Check your tow capacity on the vehicle and compare it with the weight of the model you are looking at but in my opinion you should be fine. My Tahoe pulls my 22ft perfectly and I almost always travel with fresh water tank full.

As far as sleeping puppies I would advise you to designate their spots from the get go and make that the routine. When its time for bed or nap/alone time for them in the rv they have their spots and that's that. There simply isn't enough room in an rv for dogs to be milling around. Strict rules in mine: your inside you're laying down. And ofcourse they have their super cozy outside beds for comfort when we're just chillin' in the great outdoors, which they also lay on while riding in the back of the Tahoe, this has worked out great for me.

~Julianne
So sorry to hear about Hannah, though the thought of 11 long years with these guys does make me smile. People tend to have a pessimistic outlook on dane lifespan, but I've heard of several making 14. The danes certainly must be near their people, Luke in particular would like to be someone's 170 lb shadow whenever possible.

I think you're onto something with each dog having a spot. My one worry would be some rough-housing while arguing over who gets the bed. That's dangerous because they both think they're very small dogs, and I'll catch them looking back over their butts after knocking something off a counter as if wondering how that happened. Fortunately they get out hiking quite a bit, Oregon is a dog paradise in the national forests. And as dane owners know they're quite the couch potatoes between running around on the trails. Really the perfect complement to our lifestyle. I do feel bad for the danes that don't get out into the open, it takes some big open spaces to really let them stretch their legs and see their greyhound lineage.

I can't recall who mentioned that we may be a bit cramped: we're also trying to find the minimum size that will work for us to facilitate camping at the national forests spots. We're also contemplating replacing the dinette in back with a nice wide lounge so Luke has somewhere for his long legs. I imagine some shocked RV dealer as I pack them into trailers to test the sizes. We have friends with a 23' flying cloud that we may need to try out for a weekend.

...oh and someone else had asked which type of Danes they were. They're blue's. They've grown in their adult coats, but at 4 months they had lighter coats and would get mistaken for full grown Weimeriners (sp?)
Broccoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 01:01 AM   #69
1 Rivet Member

2005 16' International CCD
Portland , Oregon
Can't comment about Danes but Sandman, an Irish Wolf Hound, has learned not to block the toilet and not to block the fridge. He loves the Stream.

PS Met Dan's dog in the 280 at Fort Stevens this spring. I remember Dan yelled out "Big dogs rule." Amen, brother.

JT
jtnichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 06:37 AM   #70
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Quote:
I can't recall who mentioned that we may be a bit cramped: we're also trying to find the minimum size that will work for us to facilitate camping at the national forests spots. We're also contemplating replacing the dinette in back with a nice wide lounge so Luke has somewhere for his long legs. I imagine some shocked RV dealer as I pack them into trailers to test the sizes. We have friends with a 23' flying cloud that we may need to try out for a weekend.
Despite Drake's large size (140lbs), he actually requires little space while indoors. Just enough to lay down comfortably. I actually think he will be happier in the AS than the house because I will spend less time moving around. Drake really seems to understand inside equals nap time. Then again, Drake doesn't appear to have an over abundance of energy.

As for the Rv dealers, although we never took our dogs, they claim to be dog friendly! I would love to see one's face when you take those two in. The Dane Attraction Factor would be hilarious! It could take you a long time to see everything, you'd get stopped by everyone shopping!!

TAC OK-42

]
Old 07-29-2010, 06:45 AM   #71
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandolindave View Post
My daughter got me tickets to see James Taylor and Carole King
( IN ST. LOUIS 800 MILES AWAY ) for fathers day. So on our down and dirty weekend road trip without the Airstream, we had to stay at a motel.
The Red Roof Inn welcomes dogs. I immediatly started missing my watch dog, and my guard dog. (The concert was awesome, the time with baby girl.......priceless. 14 hours of singing and playing mandolin while looking at corn fields, and corn fields, and corn fields)
I have planned 3 trips from TX to NJ with a dog. There are hotels that accept dogs, but some have a size restriction. Motel 6 also has some hotels that accept dogs but you have to check before hand. Some Holiday Inns also accepts them. Check online and in the case of Great Danes you might need to call ahead.

TAC OK-42

]
Old 07-29-2010, 08:22 AM   #72
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Indian Harbor Beach , Florida
[QUOTE=Broccoli;876579], but the tow is also a consideration, as the suburban is the half ton (at least with all the extra tow packages) and there will be regular climbs of between 2k-6k feet in our future. Any advice appreciated...

Broccoli,
We tow with a '08 Suburban 1/2 ton with no problem. Hubby added a cold air intake and transmission cooler and we've travelled the mountains of Colorado without a problem. You just have to monitor your trans temp...I think the book says to stay between 180-200 degrees. We do use all our gears when applicable...but no problems! Great towing vehicle in our opinion!
kidsgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 08:50 AM   #73
4 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
Quote:
So sorry to hear about Hannah, though the thought of 11 long years with these guys does make me smile. People tend to have a pessimistic outlook on dane lifespan, but I've heard of several making 14. The danes certainly must be near their people, Luke in particular would like to be someone's 170 lb shadow whenever possible.

I think you're onto something with each dog having a spot. My one worry would be some rough-housing while arguing over who gets the bed. That's dangerous because they both think they're very small dogs, and I'll catch them looking back over their butts after knocking something off a counter as if wondering how that happened. Fortunately they get out hiking quite a bit, Oregon is a dog paradise in the national forests. And as dane owners know they're quite the couch potatoes between running around on the trails. Really the perfect complement to our lifestyle. I do feel bad for the danes that don't get out into the open, it takes some big open spaces to really let them stretch their legs and see their greyhound lineage.

...oh and someone else had asked which type of Danes they were. They're blue's. They've grown in their adult coats, but at 4 months they had lighter coats and would get mistaken for full grown Weimeriners (sp?)
Hannah has had an amazing life! Since she grew up with 2 non dane doggies she has always been active. We've started every morning off with a nice long walk.

I didn't take into account that your "kidz" are only pups still
Would love to see the look on Dealers faces when you stroll in with them!
Converting the dinette is the way to go, I've wanted to do that with mine, I always leave it down as a sofa anyway.

Whatever you decide to do it will be a great adventure.

2003 International CCD
Old 07-29-2010, 09:02 AM   #74
4 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
My 3 beasts

This was taken back in 2001 when my fur babies were still young. We lived in Port Angeles, WA. Some fabulous trails there for hiking, this was taken as I loaded them up to head home.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	My 3 Poopies.jpg
Views:	364
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	107722  

2003 International CCD
Old 07-29-2010, 09:21 AM   #75
4 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
One more pic

Hannah doing a photo shoot for Kristiana ~ SilverTrailer. Pismo Beach Silver Sister's Rally 2009
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1936_2.jpeg
Views:	95
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	107723  

2003 International CCD
Old 07-29-2010, 10:06 AM   #76
1 Rivet Member

West Richland , Washington
I have a Great Dane Mantle girl (9 months this coming Saturday) and with that color combo no one can figure out what she is (or if they do they think she is a mixed breed)

Looking at AS on the sly for hubby, Juneau and I. Thinking something like a mid-60's Safari twin.
SusanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 11:25 PM   #77
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Port Angeles , Washington
Quote:
This was taken back in 2001 when my fur babies were still young. We lived in Port Angeles, WA. Some fabulous trails there for hiking, this was taken as I loaded them up to head home.
We must have been neighbors, when did you leave Port Angeles? Back in 01 when that picture was taken we had two danes, Lil was a black and Gus a big silver merle, both rescued. They both lived to about 10 1/2. and we miss them dearly. Enjoy the time you have left with Hannah.

Cheers, Dan
Smartstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 11:31 PM   #78
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtnichols View Post
Can't comment about Danes but Sandman, an Irish Wolf Hound, has learned not to block the toilet and not to block the fridge. He loves the Stream.

PS Met Dan's dog in the 280 at Fort Stevens this spring. I remember Dan yelled out "Big dogs rule." Amen, brother.

JT
Hi JT, I have always maintained that if you have to bend over to pet your dog, then he isn't big enough.

I'm ready for another run to Ft. Stevens, anybody game?

Cheers, Dan
Old 07-29-2010, 11:38 PM   #79
2 Rivet Member

Eugene , Oregon
Quote:
Hannah doing a photo shoot for Kristiana ~ SilverTrailer. Pismo Beach Silver Sister's Rally 2009
Priceless! We thought decided not to crop our dogs ears, but after a small nick on an ear turned into a scene out of a horror movie I suppose I see the practicality.

Kidsgone, good to hear about the suburban, driven them for years and never had a major issue with any of them. As I understand it the tow package we got came with both an engine oil and a transmission cooler so it sounds like we'll be set!

SusanSS, I'd seriously consider waiting for your dane to finish some more growing before committing to a size. At nine months old we certainly "knew" what we were getting ourselves into, but it was soon after that we discovered that we had to move up from the Tahoe to the Suburban if we were going to camp with them for any extended period. Our two dogs were similar in size as puppies but Luke is now roughly one labrador retriever larger than Leia. It's really hard to describe, they're really quite graceful, but they do take up quite a bit of volume!
Broccoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 12:11 AM   #80
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Quote:

Your pups look great, blue's are really special Danes. Did you make their jackets? Irene made one for our Hagar out of John Deere green and yellow
fabric. He also loves to be under a blanket to take the chill off.

I can't help much with trailer info as we have a Moho. Hagar owns the couch. He normally is not allowed on the furniture but laying on the floor in the Moho he couldn't see out and was not happy. Irene made a heavy cover for the couch and now he can see out and is very happy. If we start packing anything at all Hagar races outside and sits at the Moho door.

Back when we had two Danes we put two of the biggest dog pillows we could find on the floor and the dogs slept together. They would get up, turn around and lie down again but always cuddled together. I don't know if you would have a large enough area in an AS for a big single bed.

I look forward to meeting you and your pups in a shinny AS in a NW campground.

Cheers, Dan

Tags
great dane, heeler, pets