Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > The Pet Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 07-16-2016, 01:11 PM   #21
1 Rivet Member

1988 32' Excella
Warner Robins , Georgia
I'm not sure why one wouldn't expect campfires in campgrounds.
Old 07-16-2016, 01:23 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveandSam View Post

(Insert Monty Python voice...)

Sorry. "Campfire Arguments" are down the hall.

😀
Old 07-16-2016, 01:39 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2005 22' International CCD
Cambria , California
Leash Laws

Many leash laws like the one here is San Luis Obispo specifically state that a dog who can be controlled by command to stay and heel shall be considered tethered and on leash for the purpose of of this law. I've been in parks in this county and have had rangers ask me to demonstrate this when the dog has been off leash and my dog passes with flying colors. That said, even in jurisdictions that have this caveat, you'd better really have a dog who will stay put or you have problems.

We were camping in Lake Tahoe. Our cat hangs out under the picnic table on leash. The neighbors had a black Lab dog off leash that came over and hassled my cat. I told the owners about the leash requirements and that I had a cat. A half hour after that encounter, the black Lab came back and my cat tore his nose wide open. The owner wanted me to pay his vet bill. I told the guy that he had been warned and then called the ranger. The rangers came, told him to stop bothering me, issued the dog owner a citation and threw him out of the campground.

C
Old 07-16-2016, 01:54 PM   #24
Stay CazuaL

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
I don't tolerate the not picking up the poop. I will confront that person in a very authoritative manner and say, "Hey pick that up". I have not had to escalate it further, but I tell you what, I am very prepared to so.

As far dog off leash, that's a tough one at times. I would ask my neighbors if they are cool with my dog off the leash. Walking my dog(s) while no one is around, off the leash is ok, but as soon as I see another living thing, I put the leash back on.

I do not think it would be rude on your part if you asked them to put their dogs on the leash.

As for camp fires, not much you can do. Camp fires are part of camping. I can only hope the wind blows away from me.
*Virtual campfire at https://www.facebook.com/groups/Airs...dictsforAdults
Old 07-16-2016, 02:00 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Spartanburg , South Carolina
Our Leo is an 85lb Chow/Lab mix. We take him everywhere with us and almost always keep him on a leash or tether. We also clean up after him unless he is off in high weeds which he prefers. We also prevent him from peeing on shrubbery, other camp sites, vehicles or structures.

We love campgrounds with a dog park or a large field nearby where we can let him run after a ball. If he doesn't come when we call, all we have to do is turn away and start to leave and he comes running, afraid we will leave him in a strange place.

Yes, when other dogs are allowed to run loose it can be a problem as Leo is very territorial when on a tether and will defend his space. Keep that in mind when you approach an RV with a tethered dog. You usually don't have to knock as the dog will almost always announce your approach unless he knows you. Also, never offer someone's dog a treat without asking first.
Old 07-16-2016, 02:13 PM   #26
59' Globester

1959 18' "Footer"
1957 26' Overlander
Three Rivers , California
I have two birds that travel with me. A small parrot and cockatiel. They love to be sitting on their perch next to us and can't fly as they are clipped for their own safety.

We were camping in an area where there is no camp host but clearly signed with rules.

There were a group of yahoos who had all their dogs running free and one caught peeing on my drying sleeping bag. I asked them nicley to put dogs on a leash as these were the rules and they said sure...

The dogs can scare the birds to the ground and kill them very quickly. These birds are family and I get very angry when people don't understand.

Well I'mm cooking on the campfire and turn around to find this dog again between me and the birds. I was praying they wouldn't try to fly away before I could scare off the dog. Thankfully I scared the dog off 1st and put the birds in cages.

Yelling at the top of my voice and cursing them I threatened harm to these folks. The guy yells back "come on up here" and I fired back "anytime a%#hole as I'm packing". I am an animal lover and would never hurt one....a jerkoff owner..yes...not why i went to the mountains.

Nothing gets me riled like going far away to be dealing with total jerks.

Thankfully they left that night but my stomach was still turning.
Old 07-16-2016, 02:25 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
WhereIam , Left Coast Proud
A dog on leash is very much disadvantaged when meeting another dog, they feel threatened so their response is aggression every time. Turbo spent two years with a completely untrained Rottweiler in our yard, (stupid son of my landlord & lady just brought him home one day and dumped him, basically his penis extension), so Turbo is no longer the same trusting dog he used to be. All dogs are threatening to him no matter what size they are, and being on leash is particularly threatening for him because he feels TRAPPED. We avoid dogs when on leash. However, when we are in an off leash dog park, he is very different. All dogs are off leash, so all must be on their best behavior. Acting out when you may not be able to back that up is a big mistake. Dogs are not by any means, stupid.

When I walk him in places that call for a leash, he is on leash. Between our Airstream and the jeep, no leash. Right next to the Airstream when I am present, Chris is grilling, no leash. He is well controlled by voice. I have called him off of rabbit chases verbally. However, if he does not listen and obey, because no dog, or even human, is perfect, he goes back on leash or in the Airstream. Always. When we are way backcountry backpacking, he can be off leash as long as he walks in between Chris and I. If he tries to get ahead or hang back, he goes back on leash.

I suggest you get to know these people, ask them why their dog is off leash.

Our RV park here in Texas has an off leash dog run, we bring Turbo there once or twice a day hoping that someone else will bring their dog. Turbo loves to play with other dogs when he is in that setting.
Old 07-16-2016, 03:34 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic
Box Elder , SD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad518 View Post
Great thread. The "rules are rules and they apply to everyone" can be applied to many topics including dogs on leashes. The only time our dog is off leash when camping is when he's in a designated dog run area and there are no other dogs present.

When I have problem neighbors I have a three step process:
1. Give them a look to let them know the violation is not welcome.
2. A short friendly verbal reminder of the specific rule. (If they look like a discussion wil escalate into an argument, skip this step and go directly to step 3.)
3. Register a complaint with the host or a park ranger. Repeat step 3 as needed.

I don't feel guilty when asking others to comply with posted rules. The rules are generally for the benefit of all.
AMEN Brother!!
Old 07-16-2016, 04:35 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Greenback , Tennessee
I really don't understand people who find it so difficult to be responsible pet owners. On this thread I read several people who state that they always keep their dogs leashed, except ... Then they mention the times they don't and explain why their puppy is the exception. "I have him under voice control." That's what the owner of the German shepherd said as his dog ripped open my arm as I jogged down a public street! When pet owners, of which I am one, complain about the NO DOGS ALLOWED rules in all national parks, this is the very reason it was promulgated. I loved my whippet and he, of all dogs, loved to run, but he was kept on leash at all times when that was the specified or even implied rule. If you do not follow those rules, you are a scofflaw and you give all pet owners a bad name.
Old 07-16-2016, 04:47 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
GG, you got that right. Dog owners can always seem to justify to themselves why the rules do not apply to them. Yet they are the ones that complain the most when their little precious gets mauled or run over. I recently saw a perfect example of that up in West Virginia. Two dogs running free in a leash required campground. The big dog attacked the small dog and tore him up. Both owners were blaming the other one. No sense of taking personal responsibility from either owner. Go figure.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 07-16-2016, 04:59 PM   #31
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up Please pick-up

....after your dog.

No leash...it can be done...

Bob
Old 07-16-2016, 05:07 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
All pets MUST be on a leash - except yours...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy2 View Post
Many leash laws like the one here is San Luis Obispo specifically state that a dog who can be controlled by command to stay and heel shall be considered tethered and on leash for the purpose of of this law. I've been in parks in this county and have had rangers ask me to demonstrate this when the dog has been off leash and my dog passes with flying colors. That said, even in jurisdictions that have this caveat, you'd better really have a dog who will stay put or you have problems.

This seems to generally be the case in the Western RV parks I have visited. I haven't noticed anyone making an issue of it, and I don't remember a single park I've visited where there weren't a few dogs here and there sitting off leash peacefully by their RV's. They are trained (or train themselves in most cases, I suspect) to sit and watch as people, with or without pets, go by without going over to investigate. I haven't ever been subjected to marauding dogs violating the privacy of my campsite. Maybe regional differences, I don't know.

I do know that it is impossible to train a dog to behave off leash if the dog is always leashed. I also highly suspect, from previous dogs I have owned, that many, if not most dogs, can never be trained to reliably behave off leash, either because of the temperament of the owner or the dog, or maybe both. But many can, and it flies in the face of an important aspect of dog/human relationships to deny it.

I agree that interactions between dogs on leashes and dogs off leashes often end badly. I don't know why, any more than I know why they always insist on vomiting on carpets rather than the bare floor nearby. Once, before I learned this lesson, I was walking through the park with my dog off leash, and when I saw an approaching person with a dog, I called my dog to heal. As they were passing, the other dog jerked the leash out of its owner's hand and ran over to attack my dog. It wasn't a smart thing for the other dog to do, because it was a smaller than Lupe, and so Lupe attacked back. Lupe never left the heal position while she was doing that, but that didn't stop the woman from yelling at me anyway. I eventually reached down into the melee and grabbed her dog by the scruff of the neck (not advised) and handed it back to her. But it did teach me that whenever passing a leashed dog with my unleashed dog, I should either give them a wide berth or if that is not possible, to leash my own dog until we have passed by. Not because I think Lupe will break her heel position, but because I have come to accept that some leashed dogs will act irrationally (by our standards; I'm sure it makes perfect sense to them) when they pass an unleashed dog on heel.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 07-16-2016, 06:10 PM   #33

2007 27' Classic FB
Naples , Florida
be humble and kind...follow the rules, it's that simple, those that don't let the rangers/hosts know...don't let it infringe on your amazing vacation or relaxation!

BTW Just purchased our first Airstream, TODAY, so excited, and the proud owners of two large Weimaraners, one elderly who can't hear or see well, and a puppy who can hear and see VERY well! We think they are amazing, but NOT EVERYONE loves dogs, so we try to be ultra respectful and call it a blessing when we can stay at homes (or now RV parks) that allow dogs. Take care of your dogs, follow the rules, or ruin it for EVERYONE. Enough said, STREAM on, we can't wait to join you!!
Old 07-16-2016, 06:25 PM   #34
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Land Of Enchantment , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveandSam View Post
Our two dawgs love to lay by the campfire with us on a cool evening whilst leashed to a ground tether...

We do not however, allow either one to smoke... or drink.

I agree with most of the peeves here. If you have pets with you, always leash 'em and carry a pocket full of poop bags out of respect & consideration for others. As well trained as ours are, like a distant uncle of mine, one can never really know what they may do next given a particular, uh... stimulus...
The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Old 07-16-2016, 06:41 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
And just another point of view on the subject. And yes I do have dogs.

My father is legally blind, and worked for 45 years. He walked to and from the bus stop and rode the bus to work. Someone like him is unable to tell if your dog is leashed or not. He is counting on you to follow the rules and keep him safe.

Do you ever consider that not everyone your unleashed dog may come into contact with can see or hear well, is able-bodied, understands English if you make a comment, has good balance, has 2 hands free to shoo the dog away, and is physically able to avoid your dog if they need to?

Choosing to have a pet is your choice. But I feel that it is simply wrong of you to impose the physical presence of your pet into anyone else's personal space, ever.

Please consider others like my dad when you are caring for your pets.

Piggy Bank
Old 07-16-2016, 06:56 PM   #36
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
We always kept our golden on a leash and picked up after him. If we saw someone failing to pick up after their dog, we always offered them a bag and said, "Boy don't you hate it when you forget to bring your poopy bag? Here, have one of ours." Then we'd wait until they picked it up.

It didn't seem to matter to him whether he was on leash or off, he loved every human and every dog. Wanted to greet and visit with all of them. As we reigned him in when approaching others, we'd gently remind him that not everybody loves dogs as much as he loves people, and give the other folks plenty of room / time to decide whether they wanted to pet him. Some would, but others would pass happily by, knowing we had him under control. Worked out fine.

Old 07-16-2016, 06:58 PM   #37
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
We stay in a private non chain park twice a year. Along with the lease and poo rules, they have the do not leave doggie in RV while you are out. That rule is never followed and there can be a lot of barking from inside when mom and dad are out. I feel bad for doggie.
2001 Teardrop, Mountain Hardware Tent
For some perfection takes a little longer...
Old 07-16-2016, 07:08 PM   #38
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Btw, story about an obedience champion dog: Owner had the dog in a "sit - stay" in the parking garage while getting some other stuff out of the vehicle. Dog saw a bird and leapt after it anyway. They were parked on the 3rd floor of the garage. Sad result.

Please do keep your dog on a leash, even if you think yours is an obedience champ. We have a person in our neighborhood who insists that his dog is under "voice command" at all times. It's a nasty, aggressive creature that actually only follows his command when it wants to. He, on the other hand, is an inconsiderate foolish person. <sigh>

Old 07-16-2016, 08:30 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
I keep my shorthair pointer leashed unless he's working, and in that case its a electronic leash (Sportdog). He is unleashed in my backyard. I have a permanently attached to the garage long rope while he's with me in the front yard. When not retrieving he mostly likes to sleep, still I prefer he's leashed as I'd hate for him to run after something and be hit by a car.

I do wish that state and national parks would allow dogs on some low volume trails (leashed is okay with me) outside the tourist areas, and not just the fire road. It's otherwise hard to camp and keep the dog exercised on days when we are out and about.

I find it annoying that horses are allowed on trails when dogs are not. Horses are terribly destructive to a trail. They rip up rocks, loosen the soil, create erosion, leave piles of poop for long distances forcing us to hike through it and deal with the horseflies. By comparison a dog is nothing.
Old 07-16-2016, 08:34 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Mine kind of behave, but are never off leash outdoors unless they are in my arms and I have a firm grip on their collar or harness.

I don't want to chase them, see them get hit by a car, or taken as lunch by a coyote.

I don't need a leash law to tell me to do this either. It's just good sense.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
Closed Thread