Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > The Pet Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-01-2003, 08:41 AM   #21
Rivet Master

Dallas , Texas
Here's Windsor acting as a watch dog in the MH at the December rally.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	windsor sleeping.jpg
Views:	759
Size:	9.6 KB
ID:	1152  
Old 01-01-2003, 09:43 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

My Pal Baxter

This is Baxter when he was a puppy. I got hiim for my daughter's 14th birthday but he's my best bud. He's coming with, wherever I go!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	smbaxter.jpg
Views:	769
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	1155  
4521red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2003, 09:57 AM   #23
4 Rivet Member

Maybe this year Dad?

Here is Huntley when still Caravel sized. He is now 100+ pounds
and I have still not allowed him (or smoking) in my Caravel.
He seems to be saying: "Maybe this year dad?" He does wonder what that silver thing is in his backyard!

DMC
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	cutedog.jpg
Views:	733
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	1156  
airstreamcaravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2003, 12:49 PM   #24
Rivet Master

Yorkshire , England
Love my master.....

The one who listens when I talk
The one who cheers my lonely walk,
The one who nuzzles when I cry
The one who comforts when I sigh.

Who else could match my every mood ?
Who else would feast on scraps of food ?
Who else would prompt this monologue ?
Who else but you...MY LOVING DOG.....

.....Have a WOOOOOFING great year,...TOBY.....
Old 01-01-2003, 07:19 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

Best bumper sticker I've ever seen:

"Lord, help me to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Amen!
4521red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2003, 07:25 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Diana Langley
My current bumper sticker: "Dog Is My Co-Pilot".
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Diana Langley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2003, 06:29 PM   #27
1 Rivet Member

N/A , N/A
Cool Travlin' Companions

Happy New Year!

Couldn't resist adding a pic after seeing all the great A/S dogs.

Veriyal (Chinese Crested back) Cootie (Chihuahua foreground)

Nice to be back in sunny Florida from holiday in Connecticut.

FLguy8
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	veriyal_cootie.jpg
Views:	683
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	1164  
FLguy8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2003, 09:33 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

Drowned?

FLguy8,

Did your dogs drown in that pool of mercury .. or were you
just playing with your graphics program?

DMC
airstreamcaravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2003, 03:46 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

Dogs in Airstreams

I wonder, how many of you have a dog, taking with you on the trail ... As an Airstream and dog lover myself and as editor of a monthly Austrian/German Dog Magazine www.wuff.at I really would like to see a picture of you and your dog in or before an A/S trailer and a short comment on your dog and your experiences. Your comments on your experiences on "dogs on tour in the USA" would be really appreciated!
Since I am a pretty new Airstreamer (just for a few weeks) so far I just can show you a picture with my dog Arthur without an A/S, but I will post one, as soon as I have it available.
Hans
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	editorial.jpg
Views:	725
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	1271  
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2003, 03:57 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Dogs in Airstreams

Greetings Hans!

I rarely, if ever, travel without my dogs. For the past thirty years, I have traveled with Chihuahuas, and my current two have been with me for about 16 months. They are half brother and sister with about 8 months difference in age. The little female is a little more than two years old and all of 2 lbs. 4 oz., and the male is a little more than one year old and all of 6 lbs. 3 oz.

The only hazzard that I have encountered is dealing with the heat during the International Rally. Last year, both dogs had their daily swims in the bathtub in my Overlander late each afternoon to help keep them cool. Fortunately, Chihuahuas aren't bothered by extreme heat as much as some larger breeds. My Fantastic Vents ran almost 24-hours per day - - one set on intake and the other set to exhaust.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2003, 03:59 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
No problem Hans...I just didn't want you to miss anything already posted!

Shari
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2003, 04:02 PM   #32
Rivet Master

Hans,

In the community forum you will see on the top "Off Topics"-lots of other great stuff.

Here you'll will see pics of members too.

John

p.s. beautiful dog!
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2003, 05:25 PM   #33

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Actually, I was thinking of posting a question asking if people had any problems leaving their dogs in their TTs during the summer. I was thinking that would be one of the main benefits of having a trailer, that I could leave the dogs in it if we wanted to go somewhere dogs weren't allowed, like a museum or something. Do AS get very hot inside? Do the fans work well to keep it cooled off? If you have AC does it just run automatically when the trailer is hooked up? Probably stupid questions, which will all become clear once I have an AS of my own, but I'm just wondering.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2003, 05:49 PM   #34
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
I wouldn't leave any animals inside, my motor home got to 127 last summer. The AC needs 110 to work, so if all you are doing is parking in a lot you won't have AC. The fans on the vents help, but on a hot day in the middle of a parking lot it is going to be miserable inside.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2003, 05:50 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Dogs in Airstreams

The Fantastic Fans help tremendously, but there is a point at which even they cannot keep up with excessive heat. Where shade is limited or non-existent, even with the fans running on high speed the interior temperature of an Airstream will exceed 100 degrees F. (This is another reason why solar panels come in handy on my coach as I can run the fans when dry camping without fear of running down the coach battery.) This summer while in Rapid City at the International Rally, there were several days where interior temperatures in my Overlander exceeded 103 degrees F - - that was the reason for the cooling bath idea for the dogs - - I always drew a full tub of water first thing in the AM after my shower so that I would have a cool bath for the Chihuahuas in the afternoon - - they both were so small at the time that they swam in my Overlander's bathtub. In weather like we had at the International where electrical service won't support air conditioning, I rarely leave the dogs for long. If I must go somewhere, I have been known to take them with me in the Suburban so that they can remain in the Air conditioned vehicle while I transact business - - I have the highest capacity cooling system and have never had the truck overheat when idling with the air conditioner running - - maximum time left in this manner has been 45-minutes in 110 degree F weather.

When I stay in campgrounds with full electrical connections, I generally allow the Chihuahuas to stay in the trailer unattended. I try to limit my time away to no more than 2 or 3 hours at a strech. One worry is whether the electrical service in the campground will support the electrical demand of all the air conditioners running in extremely hot weather - - and if the service is insufficient it may damage the air conditioner compressor rather than "blacking-out" entirely leaving a closed up coach with no air conditioning.

I truly enjoy traveling with my Chihuahuas, but it is not without responsibility and some concern. One thing that I have learned is that when staying in a busy campground it isn't easy to leave the Chihuahuas unattended in the trailer as they go on "guard" duty and will bark or growl at anything or anyone who comes within six feet of the coach - - especially children or other animals. I know that it is possible to train them to discourage this action, but I want them to alert me to activity outside of my residence when I am at home as I have had periodic trouble with vandals.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2003, 05:58 PM   #36

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I have two dogs, an Eskimo and a Dalmatian, and they are both very protective of our space, as far as barking goes. They both love people, so they love travelling, but I was concered about them barking a lot if left alone.

We love taking them on trips, but only seeing dog friendly sights can be limiting sometimes, and I seldom want to leave them in the car. Even if it's not too hot, I worry about them being in the parking lot alone. I'm way overprotective of the little guys.

Thanks for letting me know how hot it can get, and concerns about the AC not getting enough voltage. That's just the kind of thing I was wondering about.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2003, 02:40 AM   #37
2 Rivet Member

I try to take my dog with me whereever I can. As you already have pointed out,, a dog should not be kept alone in the car when the sun is shining, because he could die due to the heat inside the car. Yet A/C gives you more possibilities in this regard, of course.

I have a "kennel box", which can be locked, in the back of the car, so when I really have to keep my dog in it, he stays in the box and the rear door of the car is completely open, as well as all other windows are slightly open.

@barking: Fortunately my dog very seldom barks and he is not a good watchdog, as he loves all people.
Old 01-17-2003, 07:32 AM   #38
2 Rivet Member

This is Toni, who really enjoys to live (and sleep) in a trailer ...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	toni.jpg
Views:	661
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	1278  
Old 01-17-2003, 07:45 AM   #39
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Billings , Montana
We never leave home without the Three Vizsla-teers. Depending on the weather, campground or dry camping, they may stay in the trailer or go with us on our sight seeing. They can however get into lots of mischief if left alone to long.

mtbob
Old 01-17-2003, 09:49 AM   #40
1 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Dickinson , Texas
Since our A/S has only been with us for about 2 weeks now, we haven't tried to bring the dogs yet, but here's a photo of them. Not sure how two Siberian Huskys are going to like being cooped up in a '31 A/S.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	img_0128.sized2.jpg
Views:	656
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	1282  
old_silver is offline   Reply With Quote