Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > The Pet Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-05-2017, 06:49 PM   #41
Long time owner

2004 25' Classic
1974 25' Tradewind
1970 21' Globetrotter
1975 26' Argosy 26
Forrest City , Arkansas
For many years I traveled with 5 schnauzers. I told the campground that they were small, very well trained, rarely barked, and that I would definitely clear up after them. I never had a problem. Most campground employees always seemed to want to know how it was to travel with so many dogs. I told them that it was great and they were my family and they loved to travel and I loved having them with me.
doctorlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 07:06 PM   #42
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
It is unfortunate that there are dog owners who don't follow the rules allow their animals - and kids - to run wild - I see this a lot - barking dogs, owners who leave their dogs in their trailers barking/crying all day while their away, owners who let their dogs jump on people, dog owners who do not understand that others do not like dogs - I see those little green bags thrown all over the place - it goes on and on - that's the reason restrictive rules are put in place for dogs -- and kids -- and there are those which go around the rules that create more rules ....

Ken J

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 07:35 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by badfish_2 View Post
Ha ha! Well I do live by my own set of rules! That being said, my dogs are very well trained, and are happy (and quiet) inside the trailer. 3 well behaved quiet dogs in a trailer are less nuisance then one loud dog any day... guarantee nobody who has stayed next to me has ever had an issue with noise or disturbance from my dogs, so I don't get caught up in rules that are in place because some people don't control or train their dogs properly.... if you really want to judge me, one of my dogs is considered a "dangerous breed" and also not allowed by most parks rules... "Hayduke lives!"
Exactly why I don't worry about drinking and driving. I'm a responsible drunk and refuse to follow rules set up for people who can't handle alcohol.
Shiny16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 08:38 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny16 View Post
Exactly why I don't worry about drinking and driving. I'm a responsible drunk and refuse to follow rules set up for people who can't handle alcohol.

Lacking an emoticon - it's hard to tell if this was serious or not.

If this is irony to make a point: well played.

If a serious statement.... uhm..... would you be so kind as to post times and locations of your driving plans?
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 09:30 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
Lacking an emoticon - it's hard to tell if this was serious or not.

If this is irony to make a point: well played.

If a serious statement.... uhm..... would you be so kind as to post times and locations of your driving plans?
I guess I should have added one of those silly guys to my post. I get them confused. I'm not sure who is Bob, Tom or Mr sarcasm.
Old 04-06-2017, 04:12 AM   #46
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
I guess I should have added one of those silly guys to my post. I get them confused. I'm not sure who is Bob, Tom or Mr sarcasm.

Almost anyone would do - I was slightly panicked to imagine you might be serious! [emoji50]
Old 04-06-2017, 05:36 AM   #47
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York

Caught the sarcasm right away FWIW . . .

Well said, Shiny16!

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 08:40 AM   #48
Old Sailor

1983 34' Excella
Victoria , Texas
Quote:
Might as well get a doctors note for a handicap parking permit as well.
As a totally disabled veteran with disabled license plates I take issue with your remark. Too many times I have had to hike in from the outer regions of parking lots at the big box stores and other places because of 400 pounders and others that talk some doctor into giving them a handicap permit.

I would hope that you were joking and not *really* proposing that someone actually do that.
"Mollie Bug" The Boston Terrier
WBCCI #4456 - Born to Cruise
McArthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 08:47 AM   #49
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I think it's pretty clear he was being sarcastic, so no need to take offense.

Thank you for your service.

Maggie
Old 04-06-2017, 08:49 AM   #50
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Quartz Hill , California
I traveled extensively with three dogs for years. I was always up front that I had three dogs at places with two dog restrictions. Our third dog though was a low energy small pekingnese. So it was like not having a dog. They were more interested if I had aggressive breeds than the number.
I always assured the RV park my animals were well mannered and disciplined. You may be surprised how accomodating the RV parks are. Shelties are talkers (I had one). If you need to leave the RV take the trouble maker with you if possible.
Welcome to the Airstream family and happy travels.
greenflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 09:07 AM   #51
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
All our pups are crate trained, and understand that they are safe in their crate. That minimizes the noisy reactions to traffic in the area.

In any situation where we might have to leave dogs in the AS, we make sure it is well ventilated and comfortable. We never leave them for longer than time to eat a meal. If the weather is warm (over 80 degrees), we do not ever leave them in the AS--they stay in the TV, with an adult present, the AC on, and we eat takeout...only safe way to handle the situation.

And yes, the mob is in their secured crates in the vehicle for safety.

All of them are either chipped or tagged, always on a leash outside, and under close adult supervision outside the vehicles. The risks of a loose dog are well understood by us when we travel.

Dog owners that do not comply with campground or local leash laws, IMHO, should NOT be dog owners...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 09:57 AM   #52
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
I think it's pretty clear he was being sarcastic, so no need to take offense.

Thank you for your service.

Maggie
Thank! I really should start using these guys.
Old 04-06-2017, 10:14 AM   #53
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Emoticons are so easy to use here, and allow one to be so very expressive and clear about ones feelings , that I miss them with regular email and feel flat and uninteresting.

Maggie
Old 04-06-2017, 10:24 AM   #54
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
In the Apple/Mac universe, emoticons are available for email and text, even on my laptop (although this last venue makes it more difficult to insert them compared to the iPhone and iPad).

Sarcasm in words alone can be open to a wide divergence of interpretation.

PS -- Getting kind of off-topic here, so let me say that in the NE we are having a real 3-dog storm!
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 02:02 PM   #55
1 Rivet Member

2015 22' FB Sport
Bloomfield , New York
Called and the answer was "no". So, we'll need to do more research to find places we can take our 3 dogs.
can19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 05:33 PM   #56
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by can19 View Post
Called and the answer was "no". So, we'll need to do more research to find places we can take our 3 dogs.

Bummer.

Sorry to hear that. I don't know where you were planning on staying, but here's just one example of several to pull from that area - this one's in Ithaca - that allow dogs without any published limits on the number of dogs.

http://www.sprucerow.com

I don't know them and haven't stayed there - also don't know what you enjoy or don't at campgrounds - so this may or may not fit your bill...but there are options.

I also wonder if Harvest Hosts has any arrangements in the Finger Lakes area wineries and if so whether dogs are ok for those too?

Good luck!
Old 04-06-2017, 06:21 PM   #57
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by paiceman View Post
Larry the fake three dogs was tongue in cheek. I make rules, don't break them
No problem, we travel with Beagle Bailey Cook, who is very well trained and a good travel companion. I use an electronic leash, which is a wonderful tool.....
He stays be my left leg, and I carry plastic bags to pick up his "deposits"......

Dogs are the best people,

Larry
Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 03:14 AM   #58

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Orlando , Florida
Well Trained Dog Opens Gate in Parks & Hearts

I own a working dog and a Therapy dog too. I am glad someone brought to you, to all us, attention that faking a service dog, and/or it being needed is not the way to go. Besides, we should watch what we want, it may happens.

I and my working animal suffer often grievances in public places mostly due to misunderstanding of the law. More often as a result of the lack of credibility that lying over a disability, and the fake working dog attached to it create in public places to workers, owners, authorities, and public in general.

A better way,

Train your dogs more than you think you need or imagine. I learned that I well trained dog, a obedient one, will attract positive attention to your pursuit and more. When a dog is obedient and able to act calm regarless of the environment and in presence of other animals, the public and the gate keepers, etc may react in awe toward the animal. It may open more doors and keep other pet owners in check over potential complaints upon your "special treatment". Besides that, your animals, the wild life, and the public may interact safely and better. You may find an amazing treasure on the dogs you already love. All resources such as swept, treasure, and time you invest on then pursuing a well training dog in the public sphere and eyes, WILL BE awesomely return to you and your life style. A new paradigm of what and where you may do and share with you 4 legs friends, family. 👍🐶🐕🐩
John Connors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 06:51 AM   #59
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
There are so many occasions where dog owners break or bend the rules because "they're part of the family" or "they wouldn't hurt a fly" or for whatever other reason that they convince themselves is good enough to make their particular case special. It drives me nuts.

I get that people love their dogs, I like dogs myself, but they are NOT people. They are NOT your kids, they are not humans, they are dogs.
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 07:25 AM   #60
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreasduess View Post
There are so many occasions where dog owners break or bend the rules because "they're part of the family" or "they wouldn't hurt a fly" or for whatever other reason that they convince themselves is good enough to make their particular case special. It drives me nuts.

I get that people love their dogs, I like dogs myself, but they are NOT people. They are NOT your kids, they are not humans, they are dogs.
I'm glad my dog can't read...he would be offended at your comments!
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote