Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-13-2018, 09:47 AM   #21
1 Rivet Member

1955 22' Flying Cloud
1962 26' Overlander
2011 30' Flying Cloud
East Jordan , Michigan
What Hoosierdaddy said.

Plus with the ball on the tractor’s 3 point hitch, it can be raised and lowered easily to maintain ground clearance. We move our 30’ FC this way at our small campground. Works very well in tight, hilly spaces.
Klondike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 10:16 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2017 30' International
Lincolnwood , Illinois
trailer on property

In my community I could never get away with having a trailer on my property for anything more than 2 days. Village ordinance prohibits that. What do your neighbors think about the TT being there for a very long period of time. I would make sure that they are onboard with this, otherwise it could cause alot of friction. Check out to see if there are any village ordinances prohibiting this as well. Cross your T's and dot your I's. Cover all basis before you commit a significant amount of funds to your project. Better safe than sorry.
Milo1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 10:54 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2018 28' International
Fayetteville , Georgia
What about backing it straight down your driveway, which has less of a slope. Then use a powered trailer-moving dolly, such as a Park-It” to manoever around the retaining wall and into the back yard?
brick
brick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 11:15 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klondike View Post
Plus with the ball on the tractor’s 3 point hitch, it can be raised and lowered easily to maintain ground clearance. We move our 30’ FC this way at our small campground. Works very well in tight, hilly spaces.
Best idea yet!
Tool rental yards often have farm tractors for rent. Actually a 50 hp should have enough weight. Make sure the tractor weighs at least 5000 lbs.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 11:18 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
A LOT of good ideas here. One possible other solution might be to rent vacant commercial space month to month. I recently saw a vacant Walmart store being used as covered storage and maintenance for RVs. The down side is that if the property management company gets a new tenant, the RVs will have 30 days to vamoose. The store had been empty for 3 years so?

The cost was surprisingly reasonable... and at last count almost 30 rigs are stored. Gasoline, propane and diesel have to be emptied, but rigs can be pulled outside if those systems need work.
Old 02-13-2018, 12:10 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
Given the drawing, I would back the trailer into the backyard via the driveway and 12% grade. If you can pull it out that way, you can generally back it in. How wide is the side yard on the 12% side?

4x4 short wheelbase SUVs certainly have an advantage in this regard. I can readily get my trailer into my narrow sideyard entrance which is pinched off at the front as I'm in a cul-de-sac. I've done it many times with my car alone, but my Trailer Valet XL dolly is safer for sightlines of course. I wouldn't use a dolly on a grade, especially if the tongue is on the uphill side.

If your 12% side yard is wider than this, I think you can likely do that same and back her in. A tractor would certainly give you the maneuverability to do it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	trailervaletXL.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	472.0 KB
ID:	304189
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 12:26 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

1976 31' Excella 500
Chappell Hill , Texas
I think it will wind up further from the fence than you are showing. You don't appear to have enough straight fence along the back to straighten it out like you have shown, at least not without a great deal of finagling. Also the tail might hit the fence making that turn. I agree with taking the neighbors fence down. You may need it as close to that back fence as possible to get it around the exit turn and still clear the house.
tbashin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 01:02 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
If you (as it reads) are going to RENT a truck for a TV just to make this re-positoning effort.... I'd recommend you make your life simpler and lay the responsibility for the job and safety onto a wrecking-truck company to do this job for you. A good winch-truck operator could do this in an hour and you'd be assured of a professional job and you would not be responsible for an ad-hoc attempt at something you've never done before.

Otherwise...if you're insistent on doing this yourself.... the recommendation to rent a 4-wheel large tractor is a good one. Back it up with a winch and cable to govern the descent so things don't get away from you... but be forewarned...
...just because you've rented the correct equipment (tractor/winch/etc) doesn't mean you have the experience and skill to operate it correctly or safely. Lots of city-folk move out here in the country near me and end up in the news with overturned tractors having killed them because they thought they were "saving money" instead of hiring a job to be done by experienced professionals.

Stay safe. An injury or damage can cost far more than a job hired-out.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 01:32 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post
If you (as it reads) are going to RENT a truck for a TV just to make this re-positoning effort.... I'd recommend you make your life simpler and lay the responsibility for the job and safety onto a wrecking-truck company to do this job for you. A good winch-truck operator could do this in an hour and you'd be assured of a professional job and you would not be responsible for an ad-hoc attempt at something you've never done before.

Otherwise...if you're insistent on doing this yourself.... the recommendation to rent a 4-wheel large tractor is a good one. Back it up with a winch and cable to govern the descent so things don't get away from you... but be forewarned...
...just because you've rented the correct equipment (tractor/winch/etc) doesn't mean you have the experience and skill to operate it correctly or safely. Lots of city-folk move out here in the country near me and end up in the news with overturned tractors having killed them because they thought they were "saving money" instead of hiring a job to be done by experienced professionals.

Stay safe. An injury or damage can cost far more than a job hired-out.
Good advice! If you're going to have to rent a truck anyway, just hire a professional to do it.

1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper (65avion.home.blog)
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 02:19 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

1971 31' Excella 500
2004 25' Safari
Newbury Park , California
My 2-cents...

IMHO: If it were me, I wouldn't waste my time with the steeper (21%) side of the house (especially with its poorly positioned shed), or putting the hutch-jack/wheel anywhere near the ground; both are likely to end in disaster. I also wouldn't attempt moving the trailer in/out if the ground were wet (at all); wet grass/ground can act just like ice. Also, having learned the hard way (with my 31-ft AS), long trailers can cut corners (A LOT); so turning radiuses will be the biggest challenge for safely moving your 34-ft trailer (even empty).

QUESTION: Can you provide actual dimensions for your drawing, so that realistic turning radiuses can be calculated well before committing anything to what might be a problematic situation?

Guessing at dimensions, ... at first glance, I would probably opt for using a front-mounted hitch on a short-bed 4x4 truck (with appropriate tires), to push the trailer backwards down your driveway and (12%) side-yard. That would provide you the best chance of retaining full-control over the situation. A full-size 4x4 tractor might also work, if the hitch-ball were attached to the 3-point hitch (on the rear of the tractor). But I wouldn't waste my time with a smaller tractor, a longer truck, or anything without 4-wheel drive. Still, the short-bed 4x4 truck (w/front-mounted hitch) would be my preference.

Do let us know how this progresses; and PLEASE plan it out to the N-th degree BEFORE committing to anything physical. In fact, I would probably practice with the truck and a measuring tape (to recheck clearances,...) well-before attempting anything with the 34-ft trailer. "Better safe than damaged", I always say.
OwnerAt19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 02:21 PM   #31
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Would you drive down this hill?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crispyboy View Post
Best idea yet!
Tool rental yards often have farm tractors for rent. Actually a 50 hp should have enough weight. Make sure the tractor weighs at least 5000 lbs.

Tractor got strong brakes too?
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 02:41 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
small town , Maryland
If it was my house. I would build a retaining wall 10 ft from the back of the house and extend driveway to the wall. Basicly where the rear wheels stop. From the retaining wall and beyond is overhang and easy to work on Airstream underneath. Get the stackable blocks that stagger into the hill. Cement the first course 2 ft below grade. Wall should be only 3 ft above grade and as wide as you can go. Leave one course above new grade as a wheel stop. Always have someone help you back in, or mark house where driver mirror should be when parked. Buy beer and pizza for helping neighbors My 3cents.
streaminwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 04:29 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
If it were me, I'd drive it straight down the 12% and park it in the opposite direction so the door faces the house.

This will make you much more happy. Added bonus is the ability to deploy the awning.
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 05:16 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
I've always taken the approach that if I can pull it out of a spot, it can be backed into. How about backing it down the 12% side with a rented tractor?
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 06:30 PM   #35
Johnnyooo

2015 23' International
Colrain , Massachusetts
I think from looking at your picture and your schematic, that the fence would make it difficult to make the turn to the back of the house..I think you would have to take the fence out...It would also be difficult with 4WD to pull your rig up out of there on the grass..especially on wet grass....
Johnnyooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 07:07 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Sunset Valley , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyooo View Post
I think from looking at your picture and your schematic, that the fence would make it difficult to make the turn to the back of the house..I think you would have to take the fence out...It would also be difficult with 4WD to pull your rig up out of there on the grass..especially on wet grass....
Certainly, although if you add the front hitch to the equation, you have vastly more influence on how you can maneuver. I've put my 31' in way crazier places with a front hitch. Although, it'd be nice to have some measurements, or at least a google earth view picture to aid in the discussion. Knowing the limits of a tow vehicle you actually own is the big difference here. If the OP doesn't own a TV, much less a tractor, he's better off flying one of us know-it-alls up there to do it for him. Good luck finding a caring and knowledgable tow truck driver to do it.

I'm more of a "should I have done this?" vs a "should I do this?" kind of person, so take my advice with that in mind.

My cup is usually half full, but then I'm left wondering who the f*@% drank half my drink?

ian
Iansk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 08:15 PM   #37
4 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB International
2012 23' Flying Cloud
GVA , British Columbia
Dig yourself out

In tow words ," no pun intended here , NO WAY. I had a 7-9 degree slope and just barley cleared using a drop hitch @ 5 inch on my 27 FB.
It would be cheaper and easier for you to dig out the side of that hill build a retaining wall and plant her flat on the side of your house.
Old 02-14-2018, 05:52 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
KW , Ontario
If it were me I would get (borrow) a utility trailer and build a mock-up of the trailer with some 2x4s. Use the single axle position of the utility trailer as the center of the 3 axles of the 34. Then give it a go. It would tell you what you need to know. Once you have that figured out you can mark the tire line that works for you. If something goes wrong it is easy enough to move the mock-up or dismantle it.

With the real thing you need to worry about the front and back end dragging, which hopefully you can see with the mock-up and you might not have the power to go up hill. A wrecker can help pull you up and he might also be a better option to get you down since he can hook the trailer to the lift and that can be adjusted to overcome the dragging of either the front or the back.

Grass needs to be dry. Don't try it with the grass wet. The weight will cause the unit to sink in making it harder also you will slip on the wet grass.
gator.bigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 06:46 AM   #39
Classy Roscoe

Deliver the trailer. Rent a skid steer loader with a set of forks. Have a welder make you a hitch to clamp on the forks. Hook on the trailer and with at least 4 people including you back the AS down the drive on your side of house and into back yard. As long as you have 25 foot set back on drive way side and 40 foot back yard from house to back fence, just do it.
The skid steer will allow you to keep the rear end of AS from dragging and ultimate maneuverability to put it where you want it. Period.

Wet grass or soil? Who cares. Skid machine can pick up your tow vehicle and all wheels turn. Wide tire pattern spreads out weight.

Repeat the procedure to get out.

All the best.

New Holland 165 LX or smaller will work great. Use nothing larger than 850 series. Too much power and size.

Also, you can measure out the site exactly on 11x17 Grady paper. Then make measure out the size of AS and what ever you choose to use to put your AS in the back yard and play fool house and see if you can even get into the site.

All the best.
Jekerrville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 06:58 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
One other poster asked an excellent question which is telling as regards experience with tractors: What about the tractor's brakes?

Anyone who's experienced with common tractors knows how lousy their brakes are....and how ill-equipped the common tractor would be for this job.

A tracked vehicle would make it easier... say ...a bull dozer. (It could move the house AND the hill out-of-the-way.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote