Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-17-2019, 03:50 PM   #1

St Louis , Missouri
Will a New Ford Ranger do it.

Air Forum

My wife and I are look at either a Caravel 22FB (wet weight 5,000 lbs) or Flying Cloud 23FB (wet weight (6,000 lbs), and while we most likely will purchase a Ford F150 we are curious as to whether a Ford Ranger (7,5000 lb with towing package) would work. Seem that it would be we get a bit of conflicting info. So I'm asking the forum of what some of you more experienced towers - opinions might be.

Jeff
reichmaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 03:57 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I vote no.
It might pull it, but there's stopping power and the relative mass of the tow vehicle vs. trailer to consider.

I feel the load more going down big hills than going up. I've shifted to as low as second to hold back the trailer without riding the brakes. (that's with a 5.7 lt. V-8)

I was a big fan of the old Ranger with the Mazda engine for longevity. The new engine is a 2.3lt. 4-banger.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 06:08 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Hendersonville , North Carolina
Get the F150. You will be glad you did. Make sure it is properly equipped to tow including towing mirrors. They are a separate option that is not part of the tow package. Go figure. You will love either trailer. Just looked at the new Caravel over the weekend at our dealer. Very nice interior color scheme.

We prefer a dual axle trailer for several reasons. You chose the one that fits your needs best. Spend a couple hours in each one at the dealer before you decide. Make sure it fits. Lot of money. Happy travels.
uraljohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 03:50 PM   #4

St Louis , Missouri
Regarding dual axel. Other than easier to back and tow, and three tires still on the road if one blow swhat other advantages might there be with a dual axel over a single axel?
reichmaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 04:44 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
CORDOVA , TN
....here we go....
Find a way to enjoy life and have fun, every day !
mkcurtiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 04:50 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
CORDOVA , TN
Quote:
Originally Posted by reichmaj View Post
Regarding dual axel. Other than easier to back and tow, and three tires still on the road if one blow swhat other advantages might there be with a dual axel over a single axel?
Dual trailers are much more stable. Not to mention, in the event of a blowout on your trailer, it could mean the difference in losing control and possible serious damage, and just limping to the closest tire shop for a new tire. Modern airstreams are heavy.....they need dual axles...

Dual axles also mean there is twice the braking power.....
Old 06-18-2019, 05:02 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
CORDOVA , TN
Quote:
Air Forum

My wife and I are look at either a Caravel 22FB (wet weight 5,000 lbs) or Flying Cloud 23FB (wet weight (6,000 lbs), and while we most likely will purchase a Ford F150 we are curious as to whether a Ford Ranger (7,5000 lb with towing package) would work. Seem that it would be we get a bit of conflicting info. So I'm asking the forum of what some of you more experienced towers - opinions might be.

Jeff
jeff I will share the same story I shared on another thread to illustrate your dilemma.....

I have a classic Jeep Cherokee...the boxy, 4wd, 4.0, rock solid badass jeep cherokee..... The tow capacity for it is 5000 lbs.....
My 1968 Overlander weighs about 5000 lbs loaded.....so its doable, right? It is within the tow capacity, and the Jeep will pull it...I have been around the block with it.....it will do it. .......but is it reasonable? is it wise? is it advisable? I will be maxing out my vehicles tow capacity, but a tow rating is a tow rating, right? ......

well the answer is "WRONG" ! Yes, I can pull my Airstream with my Cherokee, and it looks so damn cool hooked up to my Jeep Cherokee...omg !
But at the end of the day, maxing out a vehicles tow capacity, and expecting it to do it for very long, is not wise.

The truth is, your F-150 will be hunkering down and getting serious to do it....Yes, it will do it, and there is plenty of horsepower, but so many other things matter ! INCLUDING TEARING UP YOUR TOW VEHICLE, ALBEIT SLOWLY ! ......i KNOW, i KNOW, there are f-150's rated at 13,500 lbs......Well I am telling you, I have an E-350, 1 TON VAN, WITH A V-10, THAT IS A FREAKING BEAST, and it has a realistic rating of 10,000 lbs.......That van will snatch a f-150 in half...the 13,500 lb rating on the f-150 is complete and total BS !
Old 06-18-2019, 05:36 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Tandem advantage

Quote:
You pretty much summed it up. Couple additional points are that if one tire does blow you can limp along to an exit for a safer change. You do not need a jack to change the tire (use a "Trailer Aid" to lift trailer and change flat) and you get some additional cargo capacity with the tandem axles. The 23' models have a gross weight rating of 6000 lbs. They weigh under 5000 lbs unloaded. So you get some decent cargo capacity. Additionally, your spreading that 6000 lbs out over 4 wheels making each wheel only carrying 1500 lbs. That is way under the tire weight rating capacity of the Goodyear Endurance tires AS is now using in a load range E rating . The Bambi trailer, as nice as they are, carry all there weight on 2 wheels. The 22' Bambi has a gross weight capacity of 5000 lbs. So you have 2500 lbs on each tire if fully loaded. That is right at the max for the E rated Tires.

As a CDL holder with almost 2 million miles of commercial driving I will take a Tandem axle trailer every time. Not everyone feels that way and I understand that. Do what is comfortable for you. Happy travels.
Old 06-18-2019, 05:45 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Fan of the Van

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkcurtiss View Post
jeff I will share the same story I shared on another thread to illustrate your dilemma.....

I have a classic Jeep Cherokee...the boxy, 4wd, 4.0, rock solid badass jeep cherokee..... The tow capacity for it is 5000 lbs.....
My 1968 Overlander weighs about 5000 lbs loaded.....so its doable, right? It is within the tow capacity, and the Jeep will pull it...I have been around the block with it.....it will do it. .......but is it reasonable? is it wise? is it advisable? I will be maxing out my vehicles tow capacity, but a tow rating is a tow rating, right? ......

well the answer is "WRONG" ! Yes, I can pull my Airstream with my Cherokee, and it looks so damn cool hooked up to my Jeep Cherokee...omg !
But at the end of the day, maxing out a vehicles tow capacity, and expecting it to do it for very long, is not wise.

The truth is, your F-150 will be hunkering down and getting serious to do it....Yes, it will do it, and there is plenty of horsepower, but so many other things matter ! INCLUDING TEARING UP YOUR TOW VEHICLE, ALBEIT SLOWLY ! ......i KNOW, i KNOW, there are f-150's rated at 13,500 lbs......Well I am telling you, I have an E-350, 1 TON VAN, WITH A V-10, THAT IS A FREAKING BEAST, and it has a realistic rating of 10,000 lbs.......That van will snatch a f-150 in half...the 13,500 lb rating on the f-150 is complete and total BS !
Wow! Somebody else that tows with a van. Our Van, 2013 Ford E150 XLT Premium, Factory Tow Pkg, 8600 GVW, 8 lug axles, 2530 lb Cargo Capacity, 3700 lb front axle, 5120 lb rear axle. 3.73 Dana 60 Diff with Limited Slip. Tows like a champ! All the stuff to travel safe and dry inside. Love our Van!
Old 06-18-2019, 06:38 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Westerly , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by uraljohn View Post
The 22' Bambi has a gross weight capacity of 5000 lbs. So you have 2500 lbs on each tire if fully loaded. That is right at the max for the E rated Tires.
We have a FC20 with a GVWR of 5000. I put Goodyear Endurance tires (ST225/75R15) on it last year, probably the same tires the 22' Bambi now comes with. The max load capacity is 2830 lbs. per tire at 80 psi. I run them at 70 psi for a load capacity of 2620 lbs/tire. That easily covers the 4400 lbs (actual weight on the tires measured at the CAT scales) plus a large margin for safety.
smithcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 01:19 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2020 19' Caravel
Kennesaw , Georgia
Hello,

I am new to the forums. I will take delivery of my first Airstream in late July or early August. It is a new 19cb Caravel. I am coming form a little T@B trailer that is max rated at 2,000 lbs and we towed it for almost four years with a Lincoln MKC with a 2.0L Ecoboost and the 3,000 lb towing package.

We currently own a 2019 Ford Ranger crew cab, so I am going to tow the camper with it for a while. It is rated at 7,500 lb and has a trailer brake controller, the towing package and the FX4 4x4 package.

While I know it is not an ideal tow vehicle for the 19cb, I think it will get the job done safely.

The Lincoln MKC/T@B was roughly 2/3 of it's max towing capacity and the Ranger/19cb will likewise be a 2/3 of the max towing capacity. I do not like to go over 2/3 of the max tow rating.

My biggest concern is the little 18 gallon tank. MPG will likely be 9-13 mpg depending on terrain so it will have limited towing range, but so did the Lincoln MKC and T@B at only 15 gallons and around 12-15 mpg.

Once I get the trailer and take a trip or two I'll post more results.
sranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 02:01 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2019 28' Flying Cloud
2014 22' FB Sport
Davie , FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by sranger View Post
Hello,

I am new to the forums. I will take delivery of my first Airstream in late July or early August. It is a new 19cb Caravel. I am coming form a little T@B trailer that is max rated at 2,000 lbs and we towed it for almost four years with a Lincoln MKC with a 2.0L Ecoboost and the 3,000 lb towing package.

We currently own a 2019 Ford Ranger crew cab, so I am going to tow the camper with it for a while. It is rated at 7,500 lb and has a trailer brake controller, the towing package and the FX4 4x4 package.

While I know it is not an ideal tow vehicle for the 19cb, I think it will get the job done safely.

The Lincoln MKC/T@B was roughly 2/3 of it's max towing capacity and the Ranger/19cb will likewise be a 2/3 of the max towing capacity. I do not like to go over 2/3 of the max tow rating.

My biggest concern is the little 18 gallon tank. MPG will likely be 9-13 mpg depending on terrain so it will have limited towing range, but so did the Lincoln MKC and T@B at only 15 gallons and around 12-15 mpg.

Once I get the trailer and take a trip or two I'll post more results.
It is marginal but people have towed with less. The trick will be to load your trailer and pickup truck so as not exceed the axle ratings and payload limits that are indicated on the two door jamb labels. It will probably be OK but it sounds like a small engine and drive train. When going up a long hill keep your nose out for possible burning transmission fluid.
out of sight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 02:32 PM   #13

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by out of sight View Post
It is marginal but people have towed with less. The trick will be to load your trailer and pickup truck so as not exceed the axle ratings and payload limits that are indicated on the two door jamb labels. It will probably be OK but it sounds like a small engine and drive train. When going up a long hill keep your nose out for possible burning transmission fluid.
The Ranger uses the same 10R80 transmission used in the F150, so you can hang your nose out in the wind all you like but the transmission is not likely to be the weak link here.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 02:41 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2020 19' Caravel
Kennesaw , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by out of sight View Post
Good tips, The new 10 speed seems to be a good towing transmission so far. The internals are basically the same as in the F150. For the next few years, I will be mostly towing in the southeast. There are some steep hills, but none are very long grades like you can get out west. I have towed many different types of tuck/trailer combinations over the years. I think it will work well for the type of towing I will be doing. The payload in this configuration is 1368 lb with a max tonge weight of 750 lb and the max Gross combined weight is 12,000 lb so at least it is well within the trucks stated capabilities.

We tend to travel light (T@B was tiny) our typical gear is only about 300 lb. I'll try to keep the trailer weight under 4,500 lb.

In any event, I thought people might like an honest evaluation when I get the trailer. I think the biggest issue will be the tiny 18 gallon fuel capacity.
sranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 02:51 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2019 28' Flying Cloud
2014 22' FB Sport
Davie , FL
OK. That's a good transmission.
out of sight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 04:47 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2013 23' International
Aloha , Oregon
I also migrated from a t@b to an AS19. I tow the AS19 with a 2000 Tundra 4.7L, which has similar HP and torque as the new Ranger but only a 3-speed plus overdrive for a transmission. I can pull up long grades in Oregon and Idaho no problem at 3200 RPM but at 45 MPH in second gear. Third gear drops the RPM too low. I’m wondering if the Ranger 10-speed transmission will make better use of the available power and torque and give me better speed up hills. I like the size of the mid-size truck from a daily driver perspective.
PeterDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 05:04 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic
California , MD
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkcurtiss View Post

While right at the edge of the tow rating, I suspect your Cherokee was a good bit over payload rating and probably rear axle rating.
cru-in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 05:07 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic
California , MD
TF Trucks made an interesting comment about towing a full width travel trailer with a Ford Ranger Size truck. Given the narrow width of these trucks, even with towing mirrors, visibility around the trailer is compromised.
cru-in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 05:24 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2015 28' International
Ofallon , Missouri
I would go with the F150 and V8. Your AS may be within the tow limits of a Ranger but The F150 will tow it much easier while the Ranger (V6?) will be working harder. I wouldn't be surprised if the F150 got at least as good snd maybe better MPG towing. As someone mentioned you’ll also be safer and more stable with AS weight behind the F150 than behind the Ranger. This is important on busy roads, in wind, in mountains, etc.

I have a 7500 lb trailer and a 9000 tow limit. While all is well with the combo, I often would prefer more “margin.”
Old 07-25-2019, 07:15 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
There is nothing a F150 does not do better than a Ranger. And no, I would pick a Ranger as a TV for a 22 or 23 foot trailer. Or to drive empty either.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote