Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-25-2019, 08:23 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Glendale , California
I’m not an expert on all the ins and outs of towing capacity, etc., but I do know that our Airstream (2016 FBFC) does not have much external storage for things such as chairs, barbecue, generator, EZ up, pet(s) and sundry items. Will all these fit a Ranger? And tow it all down the road? We’ve found our F250 (diesel) to be our sweet spot, but that’s just us. Some travel light, others don’t.
MomcatA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 09:38 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2020 19' Caravel
Kennesaw , Georgia
Guys,

While I appreciate the comments, this is not my first towing rodeo. I have towed many different type of trailers and with different types of trucks over last 40 years.

As for the towing mirrors, I have tested and will use the Dometic Clamp on style. They are a little pricey but work very well. They are 106" outside to outside which is about the same at the towing mirrors option on the F150 at 105". That will not be an issue.

As for capacity, the Ranger is rate for 1,360 lb of cargo. With a roughly 550 lb hitch weight, that leaves 810lb for the wife and cargo, That is plenty for our needs as we travel light and we will actually have less in the tow vehicle than we did in the T@B since it is so small. So that will not be an issue either. I use a weight safe hitch so I can check the hitch weight every time I connect the trailer as it has a scale built into the hitch.

Is the Ranger be the ideal towing vehicle for the 19cb? No
Will it tow the 19cb safety? Yes

It will work for the year or two I will need it and I already own it I have a deposit on the new Rivian Electric Truck. I own a Tesla Model S, Model 3 and have converted a few cars/trucks to electric drive so I know all about the limitations of towing with an electric vehicle. I also know (a bit of inside info) that Ford will release a new plug in Hybrid F150 late next year. This thing is going to have about 500hp and about 600 ft-lb of combined torque. It is going to be a towing monster in the 1/2 ton series and will be the class leader.

As I said before, I will give an honest and fair review of the Ranger's capabilities once I get the camper (a few weeks now)

P.S. There is an official Airstream video on the new Bambi (19 or 20' model) being towed by the same Ranger Truck as I own. As far as I know, no one died during the shooting of the video, so I at least have a chance of surviving the experience.
sranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 01:07 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

1951 18' Clipper
1965 17' Caravel
Currently Looking...
Ballarat, Victoria , Australia
I have a MY19 Ranger with Clearview mirrors, there is no problem seeing past the Airstreams whilst towing.
Disco Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 05:39 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
The only issue I see with the new Ranger is that there is no WDH rating which kinda indicates they don’t recommend using one. Watch the RAWR so you don’t exceed it.
Profxd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 07:34 AM   #25
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by sranger View Post

As for capacity, the Ranger is rate for 1,360 lb of cargo. With a roughly 550 lb hitch weight, that leaves 810lb for the wife and cargo, .......
Hi

That 550 lb is likely on the low side. Most people seem to run another 300 pounds more than that. You also have the weight of a WD hitch which can be in the 150 pound vicinity. Your 810 pounds of "spare" just went a lot lower. A typical tool load for us is around 100 pounds, a minimum sized generator probably is up around 50 pounds with fuel...... lower still.

Be *very* sure to check the door post on the specific truck. The numbers you see on the internet are pretty much always optimistic. The door post also has various details about fuel and passengers that go along with it.

While it sounds like you still have a couple hundred pounds to spare, the rear axle may or may not be happy. The amount of WD required to get the load onto the front axle probably will result in a less than ideal ride.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 03:02 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2020 19' Caravel
Kennesaw , Georgia
The official rating from Ford is 750 lb on the hitch without the need for any weight distribution hitch. In fact that is clearly stated in the Ford 2019 Towing guide for the Ranger that it is rated for 7,500 lb towing 750 hitch weight and 12,500 Gross vehicle rating without any need for a WD hitch. The 1360 lb rating is the door plate rating for this specific truck.

It is not going to be an issue.

I would note that I am NOT asking for permission, I simply said I would let everyone know the actual results once I get the camper.
Old 07-28-2019, 03:48 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
The OP did not ask if it is okay to tow with a Ranger he already has. He asked if he should buy a new Ranger or a new F150 for towing. I think he should go with the F150 for towing. With a tow package and geared right.

Okay...looking back he did ask if a Ranger "would work". I am going to skip that question and stick with "buy the F150" whether the Ranger would work or not.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 04:03 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
I don’t know your situation. I have a 28’ AS and tow with an F150 Ecoboost. I have plenty of power and payload for what I need now. I would say all kinds of people on this forum would say I should get an F250. I think you will be fine with the Ranger. You’ll have some limitations. But that’s life.

As a knowledgeable salesman stated to me, “Buy the truck that will meet your needs the most 90% of the time, but will be adequate for the 10% you need it.”

I think that’s a good assessment.

Now having said that when I retire and I want to carry more stuff, I’m going with the F250 gas.. My needs will change.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 04:25 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Fairhaven , Massachusetts
Wdh

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

That 550 lb is likely on the low side. Most people seem to run another 300 pounds more than that. You also have the weight of a WD hitch which can be in the 150 pound vicinity. Your 810 pounds of "spare" just went a lot lower. A typical tool load for us is around 100 pounds, a minimum sized generator probably is up around 50 pounds with fuel...... lower still.

Be *very* sure to check the door post on the specific truck. The numbers you see on the internet are pretty much always optimistic. The door post also has various details about fuel and passengers that go along with it.

While it sounds like you still have a couple hundred pounds to spare, the rear axle may or may not be happy. The amount of WD required to get the load onto the front axle probably will result in a less than ideal ride.

Bob
When I purchased a WDH from etrailer, I inquired about the weight of the WDH in determining the tongue weight. The weight of the WDH Does Not count in totaling the tongue weight. Etrailer obtained this info directly from the manufacturer.
davincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 05:18 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

2020 19' Caravel
Kennesaw , Georgia
I will start a new thread once I get the trailer. I guess I kind of hijacked this one and that was obviously not a good idea.

I have no doubt the Ranger will safely tow the cb19 (really any of the Caravels) contrary to what others claim. It is in fact a better tow vehicle than the 2000 F150 I had that I towed a similar trailer with.

I agree with the Bill that the F150 would be a better towing vehicle, but I not believe it is necessary for the cb19. I can also see where many people might prefer a Ranger to a F150 for daily driving or parking in a smaller garage. I also like to do a bit of off roading and I do think that the Ranger is a better off-road vehicle than the F150 due to it's smaller size. (Raptor excluded of course)

However, I will refrain from adding to this thread and start my own when I get the trailer.
Old 07-29-2019, 07:17 AM   #31
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by davincent View Post

When I purchased a WDH from etrailer, I inquired about the weight of the WDH in determining the tongue weight. The weight of the WDH Does Not count in totaling the tongue weight. Etrailer obtained this info directly from the manufacturer.
Hi

Well then they lied to you or you misunderstood what they were saying. The weight of the hitch *has* to go somewhere. It does not just magically disappear. Some goes to the trailer. Most of it goes to the tow vehicle.

What is true is that a hitch that is rated for "500 lb tongue weight" is just talking about the trailer's tongue weight and not about trailer + hitch.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 02:48 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Fairhaven , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

Well then they lied to you or you misunderstood what they were saying. The weight of the hitch *has* to go somewhere. It does not just magically disappear. Some goes to the trailer. Most of it goes to the tow vehicle.

What is true is that a hitch that is rated for "500 lb tongue weight" is just talking about the trailer's tongue weight and not about trailer + hitch.

Bob
Yeah, I followed the advice from etrailer, and followed the WDH instructions and everything worked out fine after towing the trailer +- 5000 miles. No one lied and I didn’t misunderstand anything.
davincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 04:05 PM   #33
1 Rivet Member

2018 23' International
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by reichmaj View Post
Air Forum

My wife and I are look at either a Caravel 22FB (wet weight 5,000 lbs) or Flying Cloud 23FB (wet weight (6,000 lbs), and while we most likely will purchase a Ford F150 we are curious as to whether a Ford Ranger (7,5000 lb with towing package) would work. Seem that it would be we get a bit of conflicting info. So I'm asking the forum of what some of you more experienced towers - opinions might be.

Jeff
We are in the same situation.

We just purchased a 2018 International Signature 23CB (6000 GVWR) and looking at the 2019 or 2020 Ford Ranger as a possible tow vehicle. We like its slightly smaller size when driving around town (90% of the time).

What did you decide on? Did it work out for you?
jcolema67 is offline   Reply With Quote