Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-18-2020, 11:15 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Port Sanilac , Michigan
Which Gen Y Torsion Flex

I’m thinking a Torsion Flex from Gen Y would help with the bumps and porpoise whilst towing my FC30 with the Silverado. I currently have a Reese Dual Cam Weight Distribution hitch. Have any of you gone with a Gen Y Torsion Flex. If so, which exact item from their catalog do you use? Did you keep the ball and bars from the Reese and just bolt it to the Gen Y item they call the BOSS. How’s it working for you? What size BOSS do you use as far as weight capacity and number of drop holes? Thanks.
pontzdav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 10:26 PM   #2
Jim J

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Gen Y Boss GH2303 and Equalizer

I just got his for my Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins towing an FC 30, I am using the 9.5 in drop shank because of the height of my truck.

It is heavier than my old shank by 65 pounds

It fits more snugly in my receiver with no play. WD head fits snugly as well.

it puts the ball about 2 inched further back than my old shank, this allows me to drop the tailgate with the trailer attached.

Overall construction is very good, no burrs good fit and finish.

On a short test drive of 10 miles, out I noticed a small improvement in ride while going over concrete slab highway. On my return trip I disconnect the WD bars and the ride got a little worse.

Next week I am heading to Nashville, TN, a 900 mi trip which will include the I 30 to I 40 bypass around Little Rock, AR which should be a good test,

I will weigh my rig and adjust WD and tire pressures at the beginning of the trip.
Jim J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 06:07 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2021 25' Flying Cloud
berlin , Maryland
I have the one for tongue weight of 400-1100 lbs. for my 25 FC. I think the ride is pretty good. My TV is an F250 and I am not using any WDH. It fits the 2.5" receiver snugly, fit and finish is very good. I can open the tailgate when hitched.
Capt who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 06:26 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
Greater Salt Lake City , Utah
We have the Boss 16K version (tongue weight 1,000 to 1,700 lbs) with the 5” drop and 2.5 “ shank.

I also got the weight distributing 2” shank and intended to hook up our Equalizer head to it. Best of both worlds……GenY torsion hitch with WD.

However, haven’t hooked up the Equalizer WD yet. I’ve run the GenY all by itself and love it. Much smoother ride and less road transition bumps/seams causing the trailer to get squirrely.

Our setup is on a 2020 Ram 2500 with air suspension and a 2020 Globetrotter 27 FBT.

Definitely recommend a GenY hitch.
Old 07-29-2021, 06:49 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Mooresville , North Carolina
See post #14 in this thread and some of the following posts. I use the Equalizer vs the Reese but maybe this will help you some. I kept all parts of the Equalizer except the hitch. Gen-Y is good at helping you decide what to get. I went with the 1000-1700 lb torsion flex as my tongue weight is 1,180lbs and 2 1/2" shank on my Duramax 3/4 ton.

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f23...am-225389.html
GOUSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 08:35 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Grand Rapids , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOUSC View Post
See post #14 in this thread and some of the following posts. I use the Equalizer vs the Reese but maybe this will help you some. I kept all parts of the Equalizer except the hitch. Gen-Y is good at helping you decide what to get. I went with the 1000-1700 lb torsion flex as my tongue weight is 1,180lbs and 2 1/2" shank on my Duramax 3/4 ton.

Did you go with the 9.5 inch drop or 6.5 inch?
MIFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 08:44 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Duramac

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOUSC View Post

Are you happy with the Duramax as your TV?
GiaPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 06:47 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Mooresville , North Carolina
I went with the 9.5" drop. Gen-Y has a calculator on their website to help you determine which drop to choose. It is based on the height from the ground to the center of your hitch. My height is 19.5".

I'm happy with my 2018 Duramax as a TV. It will still fit in my garage with about 4" to spare. I think the later years are longer and taller. It tows great. Mileage towing is 13-15. I added Bilstein 5100 shocks. Lowered psi to 60 in front and 65 in rear based on my CAT scale weights for the TV. also lowered psi in the Airstream Goodyear Endurance to 65 all around based on the same with plenty of margin. All of these made a big difference vs the 75 max psi for TV and 80 psi for Goodyear.

I only looked at the GM and Ford at the time. In retrospect I would include the RAM in the equation. I have a couple of friends who have RAM that love them. It has won plenty of awards and I feel needs to be considered as well.

I think the Goodyear Wranglers that came on the TV ride a little rough and will look into another tire in the next 1-2 years.
GOUSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 08:14 PM   #9
Jim J

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
I just got home from an 1800 Mile trip from Austin, TX to Nashville, TN and back.

My bare truck weighed in at 8620 lb, My tongue weight added 1100Lb to that putting my Gen y hitch dial right in the center of its green zone. Total weight was 16,720 lb.

Truck tires (20 in) are inflated to 65 PSI per the door plate. Trailer tires to 60 PSI (15 in GY Endurance)

I use an Equal-i-zer hitch with 1000 lb bars and 5 washers to get the recommended set up measuring the heights to the fenders as described in the hitch set up . Truck and Trailer are level when towing.

My observations:

1) The hitch does isolate the truck from the trailer, Going over 1 in high rumble strips at highway speed, you feel them in the truck when it hits but not when the trailer hits them. It does a good job of eliminating the bouncy feeling from the trailer tongue moving up and down

2) There is a limit to how much it can do. On smoother surfaces with small ripples or expansion joints it helped a lot. On rough roads with severe undulations it only helped a little.

3) The hitch does nothing to make your truck ride smoother. If you had a stiff riding truck before, it will be stiff riding with the hitch installed. My 4x4 Cummins is a stiff riding truck.

4) Anti sway behavior was good with no change from before the GEN Y Hitch

My next experiment will be to adjust the Truck tire pressures up and down by 5 PSI to see how that affects the ride.

My Drive axle carries 5000 Lb when towing. Per the tire inflation tables for my tires, I should have 6000 lb of capacity at 60 PSI.

When I got the truck from the dealer, the tires were inflated to 85PSI (max pressure stated on tire sidewall). Dropping that to 65 PSI (door sticker recommended inflation) made a huge difference in ride comfort.
Jim J is offline   Reply With Quote