Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 11:12 AM   #41
4 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
Ridgefield , Washington
We love our one ton dually Ram not only b/c of how well it tows and all the "stuff" we have under the "Roll-N-Lock" cover in the long bed, but more because of the safety. We can stop quickly--( already well articulated, that a TV may be able to tow, but can you stop it before running through a suddenly changed red light or before you hit a person or object that you would prefer not to hit!?) ---but also because of the exhaust brake.

We had a 3/4 Ford diesel that did not have an exhaust brake and we were in some pretty scary situations on downhill runs in the mountains that certainly activated the "pucker factor"! (old Army term)

So we really love our Ram for lots of great reasons! Zigi
Old 01-30-2012, 12:30 PM   #42
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Weldon Spring , Missouri
...seems like every day I pass yet another 1/2 ton or SUV on the side of the road...either wrecked, or with broken axles...
Old 01-30-2012, 12:48 PM   #43
3 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Orem , Utah
I thought solid rear axle was upgrade

Many of the newer SUVs do not have solid axle bmw x series,volvo come to mind. Solid axle would be minimum in my book. To bad jeep no longer offers solid axle fronts in Cherokee lines.
Old 01-30-2012, 01:44 PM   #44
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Wink

Yeah....those darn blue oval 150's,

Bob
Old 01-30-2012, 02:29 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
...seems like every day I pass yet another 3/4 ton or 1 ton on the side of the road...either wrecked, or with broken axles...
Old 01-30-2012, 02:40 PM   #46
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
2001 25' Excella
2001 30' Classic S/O
2022 Atlas
Western slope , Colorado
Maybe the OP should have asked a less controversial question like which political party he should support or which religion he should join. At least he might then get an unbiased opinion.

Everyone seems to have their solution to the same issue and at least everyone here is allowed to voice their's without reprisal....right????
Old 01-30-2012, 02:59 PM   #47
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
San Diego , California
You might consider the advantages of a full-sized van - maximum carrying space, flexible seating (2 - 12 passengers with removeable seats) and mega-towing capacity. Do not get extended length 15 passenger. These vans are designed to haul up to twelve 200 pound passengers, so they do very well with two passengers, camping gear and your Russian elk hound. Here are a few to look at in your area:
'11 chevrolet express
2008 Chevrolet Express White 89000 miles
Old 01-30-2012, 02:59 PM   #48
Road Geezer

2011 27' FB Flying Cloud
San Jose , California
Brake Upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
You don't need a big truck to get big brakes. And that oversized truck has to stop itself before it can stop your Airstream.

doug k
We tow our 2011 27FB with a Suburban 1500. Before I took delivery of our new AS I upgraded the front disks to vented rotors. The installing mechanic recommended against ceramic pads. While I take downhill grades a lot slower than 65, and I have been down a number of posted downgrades with absolutely no brake fade.

It's an inexpensive upgrade to standard rotors that I'd suggest as a first step if you're experiencing or are concerned about brake fade.
Respect Each Other
Old 01-30-2012, 05:29 PM   #49
2 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
Reno , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon
After literally hundreds of thousands of miles pulling everything from cars to RV's, I can honestly say that I have never wished I had less truck.
Even at the pump? No matter how many things we pull our tow vehicles spend most of their time NOT towing...
Old 01-30-2012, 05:35 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Streamside View Post
Maybe the OP should have asked a less controversial question like which political party he should support or which religion he should join. At least he might then get an unbiased opinion.

Everyone seems to have their solution to the same issue and at least everyone here is allowed to voice their's without reprisal....right????
We haven't even started yet, Streamside

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
Old 01-30-2012, 05:58 PM   #51
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
2001 25' Excella
2001 30' Classic S/O
2022 Atlas
Western slope , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUKToad View Post
We haven't even started yet, Streamside
I was afraid of that
Old 01-30-2012, 06:13 PM   #52
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
Old 01-30-2012, 06:57 PM   #53
1 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB International
Alpharetta , Georgia
I have a 2010 International 27FB, tow with a 2011 F-150 with the Eco Boost V6. Towing a loaded trailer in the mountains has been a non issue. Plenty of torque. If I have never run out of power. Descending, has not been an issue, there are some pretty steep 6% grades in NC and TN.

Make sure you get the max tow package. Getting the right rear end is everything.
Old 01-30-2012, 08:57 PM   #54
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Connellsville , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by onemanclan View Post
Even at the pump? No matter how many things we pull our tow vehicles spend most of their time NOT towing...
I have 2 Dodge diesels and one Dodge 1500 gasser. My Cummins powered trucks knock down 2-3 mpg better than the half ton under almost any condition. My diesels spend most of their time pulling something or pushing a plow for the side work we do, so I can justify having them around more than just for an RV. The overall fuel cost is a dead wash or even a small savings even considering the increased cost of diesel.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:06 PM   #55
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
I don't know if I'd want to go 25+ with a short-wheel base SUV like a Tahoe. I'd stick with the Suburban or something you can get in a 3/4 ton. It's not really a matter of 'if' it will pull it... read the specs and lots of trucklets will meet the specs... it is more an issue of how hard you want to flog an underpowered vehicle to get you where you are going.

As far as gas vs. diesel... all depends on how far you go in a year. The payoff on the cost of a diesel might take you many years... or it might never payoff... A nice 3/4 diesel on a 25 or 28 food Airstream is one of the more relaxing combinations though.

I tow a 22' with a 5.7l Sequoia. Only do 1 big trip a year, so the mileage isn't as big a factor for me. Having a practical vehicle the remainder of the year is just as important...

Our local Ford dealer is a bit of a wanker... or I might have gone with the new Eco-boost. Nice combination of towing power when needed, and decent highway mileage empty. If I had the cash and patience for a 4 hour round trip to the VW dealer, the Toureg diesel would have been on my list as well...
Old 01-30-2012, 09:35 PM   #56
2 Rivet Member

1992 21' Sovereign
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Beauty Shop Rules

My friend owns a hair salon. She learned that there are three things you never discuss with a customer 1) politics, 2) religion, 3)sex.

These Tow Vehicle posts sometimes break 1 or 2 of the BS Rules as opinions can be very strong. Having said that, I'll jump right in with my 2 cents.

We have towed our 21' (5000# loaded) with the F250 5.4 Triton V8 many thousands of miles. We've been on 6% grades up and down, in horrible winds, and heavy rain storms. We've never lacked for power, changed lanes without meaning to, or had the tail wag the dog. This piece of mind is well worth the 10-12 mpg. Yes, the F250 is a driveway ornament for a good part of the year, but that's OK. It gives the neighbor's cat somewhere to sit and keep an eye on the 'hood.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:11 PM   #57

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by barbara4rb View Post
My friend owns a hair salon. She learned that there are three things you never discuss with a customer 1) politics, 2) religion, 3)sex.

These Tow Vehicle posts sometimes break 1 or 2 of the BS Rules as opinions can be very strong. Having said that, I'll jump right in with my 2 cents.

We have towed our 21' (5000# loaded) with the F250 5.4 Triton V8 many thousands of miles. We've been on 6% grades up and down, in horrible winds, and heavy rain storms. We've never lacked for power, changed lanes without meaning to, or had the tail wag the dog. This piece of mind is well worth the 10-12 mpg. Yes, the F250 is a driveway ornament for a good part of the year, but that's OK. It gives the neighbor's cat somewhere to sit and keep an eye on the 'hood.
The best thing about this thread so far is the subtle contraction of "Beauty Shop Rules" to "BS Rules."

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
Old 01-30-2012, 10:14 PM   #58
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Don't get too relaxed with the F250. The only Airstreamer I have known personally that lost truck and trailer together in a rollover from gusting winds here in Arizona three years ago was driving an F250 diesel.

doug k
Old 01-31-2012, 03:47 PM   #59
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Spec the trailer first and spec the tow vehicle with the trailer in mind. And any future trailers as it is not at all uncommon to change trailers a few times over a few years. Most often a bit larger.

But it makes no sense to spec a TV [tow vehicle] that is unsuitable for duty the rest of the year. A/S designed their trailers to be easily towed, by cars, not trucks. One may not wish to tow a 31' or 34' with a minivan or sedan with larger brakes, better suspension, etc, over those cars of yesteryear, but the size of the TV has little to do with TV ability. We've gone over this many times in many threads. (ref: CAN AM RV posts/threads/pics). Proper match of TV to TT via some analysis and best hitch rigging makes the difference.

Perhaps the easiest place to start is in the use of the TT: 5k miles annually, or two-three weeks of use? Full-timers doing 15k annually over a half-year or better? Working? Retired? Low annual miles on the TV? Etc.

A trailer is a wonderful thing to have and use, so the TV ought to be well-suited. Larger is not always better, nor is the choice of a pickup truck itself better. Plenty of examples to this end with decades of experience backing it.

More info from the OP would be of help as there are many referential posts and threads to help in the decisions.

Old 02-02-2012, 07:48 PM   #60
3 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Orem , Utah
How does wind push them over? I have smallest AS you can get. Now a 30 footer I would understand, there is video of Mercedes diesel 3.0 pulling 31 footer on Youtube looks funny.

Closed Thread