Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-19-2007, 07:04 PM   #1
Rivet Master
JimGolden's Avatar
Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,638
Images: 7
What is the "legal way" to get a new to you trailer home?

Howdy All,

Was talking with my dad tonight on this topic, and I don't have a good answer.

Let's say you go buy a used trailer from a guy a couple states away. What is the legal way to get it home?

I'd dare say what many of us do is just take the plate off one of our current trailers, stick it on it, then haul it home. Go see the DMV the next day and get all the paperwork taken care of. But somehow I wonder if the gendarmes would appreciate this?

In WV, you can get a one way transport tag. But that's only good in state. What if you are crossing a few states to get your new Stream home? What is the legal way to do it, assuming you bought it from an individual and not a dealership that can do whatever paperwork they do and issue you a temporary tag? And say the PO lives nowhere near a DMV?

Is there an easy way?
- Jim
JimGolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 07:07 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Alumatube's Avatar
1984 31' Airstream310
Central , Ohio
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,094
From what I understand, the bill of sale should be your "tag." The previous owner should retain the plates unless their state says otherwise.

If anyone knows any different, please chime in!

"Despite the cost of living, have you noticed how popular it remains?"

1984 310 Limited Motor Home "The Rockin' A"
Alumatube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 07:12 PM   #3
Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 21,276
In Florida, it is a felony to switch license plates, so be aware if you do this here, and get caught, it could really ruin your vacation. Again, in Florida, the legal way is to go to the DMV (county tax collector), get the title transferred, with a 30 day temporary tag. You will pay the local sales tax, and if your state shares reciprocity with Florida, you will only pay the difference between Florida (6%) and your state.
I have learned, at least here, it is better to have no tag, than the wrong tag, so if the DMV is not open (weekends or holidays, or after hours), I just make sure the title is completely filled out and dated, and drag the thing home with no tag at all. I have only been stopped once, and the properly filled out paperwork saved me a ticket.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 07:19 PM   #4
uwe's Avatar
2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: 1963 26' Overlander
Posts: 4,804
Images: 41
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
In CA, there's a "one trip permit" for such instances.
I bought one from the DMV, it is good until you finish your trip. I pasted it in the rear window of the Overlander, and merrily towed it home from Seattle to LA.
This was exactly what the CA DMV recommended. I asked them about states such as WA and OR, which I had to travel in, and they said that if it's going to be a CA trailer, then it needs a CA trip permit. Worked fine, I kept a copy of it and could prove that the traielr was not moved illegally on public roads without registration etc. The trip permit covers all that.
But that's California, your state might have different laws.
uwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 07:25 PM   #5
Silvertwinkie's Avatar
2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 10,477
I towed my 1964 boat back home in 1994 (325 miles) with the 1984 plate on it. Ran passed many John Q Laws...none gave me a wink, nod or was pulled over for it.

I did have a bill of sale stating it was just purchased, but never used it.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 07:28 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Happycampers's Avatar
1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 1,652
Jim, I have a friend that is a state trooper and he told me to never take a tag off of another vehicle to move it. When we picked up our Argosy in Virginia and brought it to Ontario I just towed it without a tag. We were passed by two state troopers in West Virginia (my home state) and one in PA. I don't think they pay as much attention to that as much as they use to. Customs didn't even say anything about it not having a tag.

Marvin & Annie
Niki (fur baby)
1979 Argosy 30 (Costalotta)
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 07:38 PM   #7
Rivet Master
1976 25' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Campton , New Hampshire
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,113
In NH you can get 15 day temp plates with a bill of sale and the vehicle ID number.
ticki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 07:46 PM   #8
Rivet Master
GreatPumpkin's Avatar
Currently Looking...
Colville , Washington
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,033
Images: 70
Keeping / returning the plates varies from state to state - Idaho the person retains the plates, Washington the vehicle retains the plates.

I would dare say that if you purchased a trip permit in the state you are picking it up in, that would be good enough for most officers that might stop you along the way.

Bad advice maybe, but I just hooked up and towed it from Oregon to Washington without a permit of any sort. I figured if I got stopped that the title + bill of sale would let me talk my way out of any trouble. I never got stopped to test that theory
AIR 12256
Currently Looking
2001 Dodge Ram 1500
2001 Honda XR650R
Currently Looking...for an Avion Truck Camper (or a Classic Argosy MoHo)

"In regione caecorum rex est luscus." GP
GreatPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 07:49 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member
rmpray's Avatar
1973 31' Sovereign
Bertram , Texas
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 277
Images: 21
Texas sells a one trip ticket..but they want specific route. They also sell a thirty day tag with almost no paperwork at all which is good all over. I was stopped last week in Louisiana with a paper tag, but they were happy to see the TX paper work and said I was good to go. Meanwhile I am still working on the title for my old beast with a less than helpful PO. Should be ok soon.
"There’s not much in life we can’t over-analyze”
rmpray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 07:56 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus
overlander64's Avatar
1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 5,749
Images: 194
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
What is the "legal way" to get a new to you trailer home?

Greetings Jim!

Both of my trailers were purchased in another state as have several of my cars, and my first stop was my local DMV to determine what documentation they woulld require from that state to issue a title and license plate in my name. One clerk in my local DMV office suggested that I ask the owner to accompany me to their local DMV to obtain a temporary or transit permit -- this, so the theory goes, makes sure that you have the necessary documentation to change ownership in that state. Thus far, it has worked flawlessly each time -- and I know that when Murphy's Law calls, I will have the proper documents and permits to avoid a ticket.

Kevin D. Allen
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 09:07 PM   #11
Rivet Master
47WeeWind's Avatar
1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,169
Images: 20
Originally Posted by JimGolden
... Is there an easy way?
Depends. If the Airstream is short enough, retrive it on a properly licensed flatbed trailer so the Airstream is cargo, not a towed trailer. Have a signed and dated certificate of title and a signed and dated bill of sale from the seller in your pocket. And you don't have to worry about tires, wheel bearings, lights, etc., etc. Now that's the easy way.
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 09:52 PM   #12
Remember, Safety Third
Jim & Susan's Avatar

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 5,720
Images: 39
In Georgia, all you need is the Bil Of Sale to tow it home. I would think that the laws of your home state, where you intend to title the vehicle, would matter most. Your state DMV can fill in the blanks.

Solve for X, Or is it Y?
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 10:06 PM   #13
moosetags's Avatar

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 13,163
Images: 5
I would try to get a temp (paper) tag from the state you are buying it in. If that was not practcal, I would just pull it hime without a tag. We took our first trip in Lucy with the tag from my car trailer. The dealer hadn't gotten me Lucy's tag in time.
SuEllyn & Brian McCabe
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 10:34 PM   #14
Rivet Master
safari57's Avatar
1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 3,790
Images: 10
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Find out if the legal way is also not too cumbersome and hopefully your hometown DMV folks can assist you. If not, check out the DMV's website for the state you are acquiring the trailer in to see if it says there what is required. Stuff happens and as we saw recently someone towing a later 90's home without insurance totaled it and they were out the cash. If it looks like it is going to be a big issue then I would take the chance, but that's what I'd do, not what I recommend to others. I just spoke to a buddy today who's tags expired last November and he's been out and about quite a bit and no one, including he, noticed.

We picked a trailer up in WA state a few weeks back and brought it up to BC. The PO picked up a 3 day travel permit but put it in the name of the purchaser. That allowed us to get it to the border and from there the 15 minutes home although in BC we were required to go to the closest DMV to the border to get it registered and tagged.

safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 10:56 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 8,382
Images: 18
Blog Entries: 55
Trip Permit

Hi, I bought my trailer new in Oregon and they issued me a ten day trip permit; Giving me ten days to get it home and off of the street until I could get to DMV in California. Other than that, I would just go with a good bill of sale, and never use a different plate from something else. Tickets or fines are very expensive in California.
Bob 2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent" Small Silver Castle
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 11:18 PM   #16
Rivet Master
53flyingcloud's Avatar
1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 3,479
Images: 17
Blog Entries: 1
Jim Golden,
Don't do this but..When I bought my Airstream from the PO, who lived in Tx, we had all the paper works made out with the paper temp plate. I had everything on me. The Bill of Sales, Temp Registration from TX, TX Plate and, proof of insurances coverage. I had decided to put the paper license plate inside taped to the rear window. It wasn't until I got to CT at a rest area that I NOTICE several State Police Officers from CT looking me over..
After they left..I got curious and walked around the unit to see what had attracted their attention..AHA...I notice that the temp plate wasn't in the window~! Open it up and, re-attached the temp plate back to the window with more tape`! Now, just how far back into the trip's start this fell down, I have no clue but..
I do remember thinking, "WHEW"...
WBCCI 5292 AIR 807
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 04:35 AM   #17
Rivet Master
Wayne&Sam's Avatar
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,367
Images: 21
I used the PO's plate or when selling let them use mine, Then they just get mailed back to the right person after transport. If they aren't returned, just report them as stolen, although I haven't had to do that.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 04:59 AM   #18
Just an old timer...
85MH325's Avatar

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 4,766
Images: 37
The "Official" word is...

the laws of the state where the transaction takes place apply. In Iowa, the plates must be removed and the registration and plates returned to DOT for cancellation (and refund of registration fees if applicable). The new owner has 30 days to re-register the vehicle in whatever jurisdiction they live. The bill of sale and signed title serve as registration until then.

In California, the plates go with the vehicle, and the owner has a few days (the length of time has changed over the years, so I don't know what it is now) to change it over to their name.

Each state is a little different. My recommendation is that you carry a copy of the state registration law from the state in which you bought the trailer, and show it with the title and registration so you can show law enforcement in states along the way that you are in compliance with whatever it says.

I DID recently get stopped with our new moho on the way home from the dealer without plates by a DOT officer. Since I had the appropriate paperwork, I was on my way.

havin' to fix my broken Airstreams since 1987...
AIR 2053 Current: 2004 Airstream Interstate "B-Van" T1N DODGE Sprinter
Former Airstreams: 1953 Flying Cloud, 1957 Overlander, 1961 Bambi, 1970 Safari Special, 1978 Argosy Minuet, 1985 325 Moho, 1994 Limited 34' Two-door, 1994 B190 "B-Van"
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 06:14 AM   #19
Silvertwinkie's Avatar
2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 10,477
Now that must have been a sight to see....Roger with the cherries kicked on on the side of the road....on the other end of those cherries!
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 06:56 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member
1963 26' Overlander
Cleveland , Georgia
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 123

Originally Posted by Jim & Susan
In Georgia, all you need is the Bil Of Sale to tow it home. I would think that the laws of your home state, where you intend to title the vehicle, would matter most. Your state DMV can fill in the blanks.

Exactly.....OR you could just OJ Simpson that baby home, cops in tow. And when they shoot out the tires and take you down on national tv hold up your airforums sticker. We'll be watching.

Bill of sale should be fine, just take off th PO's tag.

Some days you're the windshield,
Some days you're the bug!

"Life's a garden, dig it" Joe Dirt
bigeasy63 is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Motor Home Gun Laws winner On The Road... 26 08-17-2009 02:45 PM
Home Page Photos ViewRVs Forum Admin, News and Member Account Info 1 09-09-2002 03:20 PM
Bent Trailer Door Argosy74 Doors & Locks 3 09-03-2002 08:31 AM
New trailer, old club rally Pahaska Other Rallies & Events 7 07-24-2002 01:26 PM
New years added to Trailer Forum 83Excella Our Community 3 07-08-2002 06:24 AM

Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:29 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.