Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-01-2019, 08:09 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2017 20' Flying Cloud
Williamson County , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by featherbedder View Post
In early AS had ball height of 18 in. late 1960s AS had ball height of 21 inch then 70s changed back to 18 inch to clarify what AS used. Now I haven't any idea but 17.25 sometimes 17.5 is mentioned freq. for newer models.
With trailer level on level ground our 2017 20FC is 22.5", dealer said that manual has been wrong for a while and AS has not corrected it. Guess the obvious bottom line is just measure yours and proceed accordingly. If you still want more here you go http://www.airforums.com/forums/f542...ht-191855.html
SYC2Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 12:07 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2019 28' Flying Cloud
2014 22' FB Sport
Davie , FL
So if the hitch ball height is, for example, 19" when the trailer is level, how much is it when the trailer is loaded with, say, 1000 lbs evenly spread. Has anyone ever measured this?
out of sight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 10:57 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1978 24' Argosy 24
Woodinville , Washington
So, assuming you have a receiver hitch, buy a "shank" (forget the correct term) that allows you to adjust the height of the ball. Good investment for towing other trailers. IMHO with a WD hitch the #1 thing is to get the TV back to level. Single or tandem it seems like getting the trailer level is still a good idea. I mean, if your stopping for lunch it's nice to have flat table to eat at, right?
bhayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 11:51 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhereStream View Post
All requires some math, starting with this number: 17.25 inches.

That's the "hitch ball height." But what does that mean?

Is that the height of the top of the hitch ball, if the trailer is to be level?
According to Airstream from my owner's manual:

Measuring Hitch Ball Height
The proper height will vary according to the weight you
carry and the tires you use. However, checking the
height on your trailer is relatively easy:
1. With trailer parked on fairly level ground, measure
from ground to bottom of frame, front and rear.
2. Adjust front jack until measurements are equal.
3. Now, measure from ground to the inside top of ball
coupler. This figure is the hitch height. The hitch
ball is then usually set 1/2 to 1 in. higher, according
to the spring rate of your tow vehicle, to allow for it
to settle when the trailer is hitched up.

2020 25' Globetrotter Twin | 2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali Ult. 4x4 Duramax
400Ah Battle Born lithium battery string | 580W solar (400W roof 180W portable)
mikeinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 08:25 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Every how to adjust hitch height I have seen is, that is pub. or on internet states measure from ground to bottom of coupler lip not inside of pocket.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 04:40 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2017 20' Flying Cloud
Williamson County , Texas
Pictures

This has some illustrations that might be helpful but hopefully OP has more than enough answers on this LOL

https://www.truckspring.com/blog/pos...ler-ball-mount
SYC2Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 05:43 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2017 19' International
Tallahassee , Florida
I ordered a new shank with a lot of drop potential ... alas, not enough.

It still leaves the ball almost 2 inches too high.

This was the deepest drop I could find.

I'm going to hook up the trailer and see how it goes, but ... may be in the search for yet another shank.
WhereStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 08:27 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I too set up my hitch. All the Airstream information said the ball height was 17.75". So I started there, and realized it's way off. More like 20".
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 08:54 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2017 19' International
Tallahassee , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYC2Vette View Post
This has some illustrations that might be helpful but hopefully OP has more than enough answers on this LOL

https://www.truckspring.com/blog/pos...ler-ball-mount
That's a good explanation. Thanks for the link.
WhereStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 11:52 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2019 28' Flying Cloud
2014 22' FB Sport
Davie , FL
Trucks are getting really high. For my Ram 2500 I have a ball mount with a 7 3/4" drop for towing when the trailer and truck are empty, and another with a 6" drop for towing when loaded. I will probably have to get a 4" drop soon because the wife keeps loading the trailer with all the heavy stuff up front.

A straight ball mount only costs about $50. Adjustable mounts are quite pricey. I'd rather use a non-adjustable ball mount - simpler and more sturdy, and cheaper even if you need 2 or 3 different ones.
out of sight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 02:38 PM   #31

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Denali National Park , Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleenlois View Post
Hi everyone,
As a single woman with a dream of buying a “22” Airstream, I’m looking for “Idiots guide thread to” learning about towing , eg, ball weight, & height ,the coupler, hitch bar, chains, payload, tongue weight, anti sway bars, weight distribution, etc GVWR, payload, & weight distribution I understand).

I know I need a 2 5/16 ball Where do you buy towing mirrors, from car dealership ? & who puts the towing package together is it the dealership or where the Airstream is purchased!

I’m wanting to get my Toyota 4 Runner ready to tow a 22 Airstream ( GVWR is Max
Thanks

Kathleenlois
Hello Kathleenlois,

You have found a treasure trove of facts and info. Lots of good advice on this and other specialized forums. Check into some of the 4Runner and Tacoma forums and mine their info on towing.

That said, I can only think of a few tidbits and some questions you should be asking.
1) dry and wet weights of your target trailer, vs towing capacity of your 4Runner(TV).
2) tow package questions:
a) does the TV have a towing package, which consists of heavy duty cooling system, alternator, external transmission cooler and brakes at the minimum.
b) sadly having a receiver hitch isn’t always a guarantee that the vehicle has a tow package, as mentioned above you will probably need a 7 pin plug and a towing brake controller at the minimum.
c) mirrors are good and a back up camera for the TV, will make it very easy to get the trailer hooked up to your TV
3) adequate power for towing, an important thing although going is nowhere near as important as STOPPING. You will find that the trailer even empty will push you around, and multiply that by a factor of 5 at least when you add downhill grades.

In short approach this entire process with deliberation, and be very cautious in regards to what you can do and can’t do with the setup you are putting together. You will gain confidence and skills as you go along.

It will be fun, and lots of great experiences ahead, but go slowly and be aware of not only your skills and actions but of the others on the highway.
A vehicle with a trailer is 50-70% heavier than the tow rig itself and is much harder to STOP in a panic situation, so be vigilant.

Good luck and be careful out there
Arctic Taco is offline   Reply With Quote