Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 12-10-2018, 10:27 AM   #81
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklyfrank View Post
Get your facts straight before posting. I did not start this thread and you will never read a post from me bashing anyone for towing with whatever. Unlike the original post in this thread. He wasn't satisfied simply posting his experience with having his SUV set up for towing and how happy he was with the experience informing others contemplating the same thing.
No he had to close with giving jab to people towing with large trucks.
Totally unnecessary and a questionable statement.

And?

So what?

If you’re right and you know it who cares?

It’s not like the truck crowd hasn’t given the smaller TV crowd grief on this forum too.

What ever happened to good humor? When did humor die in America?

Old 12-10-2018, 11:37 AM   #82
4 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
1973 31' Sovereign
Mt Angel , Oregon
Guys!

You all make good points.

Yeah, we tow with an F350 V10 gasser. Works great for a tow vehicle and payload isn't an issue. But at 8 MPG we don't use the pick up for anything else. The F150 with ecoboost we tried pulled better, but left no payload options. Ditto an Audi Q7.

Having pulled loads of loads of winegrapes in a past life, I get that you can pull really heavy trailers down the road safely. Look at the commercial long haul trucks with which we share the roads. The tractor weighs from about 22,500 to 28,000 lbs but is licensed to pull 80,000 to 105,000 lbs.

So what works for one person isn't the best for someone else.

To divert the thread a bit, what's with the smoke at 5:48 in that original euro TV video??

https://youtu.be/GuuS3IHq4HI

"To err is human, to air is devine."
Old 12-10-2018, 12:17 PM   #83
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albireo View Post
Is it just me seeing it, or are there a lot of type A personalities who have been successful at life, who frequent this forum with the intent of “winning” the the debate about “the right way to Airstream”?

So if you are not a type A and not successful in life then your opinion is more valid?

Take a look at how this thread started. I don't see you commenting on that.

I’m a truck guy, I don’t take “the way the thread started” personal.... I saw some humor in it. Maybe we as a forum should all lighten up some....

Just a thought....

Old 12-10-2018, 12:20 PM   #84
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnside Bob View Post
Guys!

You all make good points.

Yeah, we tow with an F350 V10 gasser. Works great for a tow vehicle and payload isn't an issue. But at 8 MPG we don't use the pick up for anything else. The F150 with ecoboost we tried pulled better, but left no payload options. Ditto an Audi Q7.

Having pulled loads of loads of winegrapes in a past life, I get that you can pull really heavy trailers down the road safely. Look at the commercial long haul trucks with which we share the roads. The tractor weighs from about 22,500 to 28,000 lbs but is licensed to pull 80,000 to 105,000 lbs.

So what works for one person isn't the best for someone else.

To divert the thread a bit, what's with the smoke at 5:48 in that original euro TV video??

https://youtu.be/GuuS3IHq4HI

Tire smoke. The trailer brakes locked.

It’s my understanding that surge brakes are a mandate in GB.

Old 12-10-2018, 12:55 PM   #85
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
What Europeans are towing with?

https://youtu.be/eMAXuZOw_DY

Old 12-10-2018, 01:03 PM   #86
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas

Let’s try again... sorry!

https://youtu.be/r8EKOEN8d-U

Old 12-10-2018, 01:04 PM   #87
3 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
North Bay , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
I’m a truck guy, I don’t take “the way the thread started” personal.... I saw some humor in it. Maybe we as a forum should all lighten up some....

Just a thought....
I think I may go and buy a pair of those chrome balls and hang them off my truck. I may not have a big brain but I sure have a pair of balls. How's that for humor?

It is obvious you know nothing about me. Personally is pretty funny as well. There is a lot of humor in that.

If you want to add another thought I am totally OK with that. I am done and I have no problem with anyone else's additional comments. This is just the internet and not my life.
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Old 12-10-2018, 01:07 PM   #88
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas

Quote:
I think I may go and buy a pair of those chrome balls and hang them off my truck. I may not have a big brain but I sure have a pair of balls. How's that for humor?

It is obvious you know nothing about me. Personally is pretty funny as well. There is a lot of humor in that.

If you want to add another thought I am totally OK with that. I am done and I have no problem with anyone else's additional comments. This is just the internet and not my life.

Hey, if you think thats funny that’s all that really matters right? [emoji4]

Maybe the key for healthy conversation is deescalation of contempt instead of escalation?

I can play the escalation game with the very best of em’, (I’m really good at it), but it isn’t always the best move, especially when talking recreational vehicles.

Just a thought from a person who is trying to get wiser as he gets older.....

Old 12-10-2018, 01:10 PM   #89
3 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
North Bay , Ontario
Quote:
Let’s try again... sorry!

https://youtu.be/r8EKOEN8d-U
OK I lied. I love this album as it bring back some great memories. I think I got it for Christmas!
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Old 12-10-2018, 01:15 PM   #90
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
Quote:

Surge brakes. Another interesting point of difference between Europe and the US.

We have huge and extensive mountain ranges in the US that are travelled at high speeds. Not that Europe doesn’t have them, but surge brakes would not be ideally compatible for this and they must travel those differently.

Consider when traveling downhill and using engine braking. Surge brakes would mean that the trailer brakes would be applied the whole time as it leans on the tow vehicle, activating its trailer brakes.

I’ve experienced this with a dump trailer loaded to 10k lbs. On a 4 mile 8% downgrade, there was literally no way to stop the surge brakes from being applied and overheating. Other than to come to a complete stop and let them cool-off. Or stop using engine braking allowing gravity to accelerate the rig downhill, and apply the vehicle brakes at interval. I’ll just say, this is not fun and not my preferred way to deal with hills.

Europe mandating trailer surge brakes must not have the same scenarios?
Old 12-10-2018, 01:16 PM   #91
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Quote:
OK I lied. I love this album as it bring back some great memories. I think I got it for Christmas!

Awesome! I had it as a kid, it wasn’t a gift though, I stole it from my older sister.

Old 12-10-2018, 02:01 PM   #92
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Quote:

Electric brakes are OK as long as powered from the trailer.
Old 12-10-2018, 04:14 PM   #93
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Dalton , Ohio
Quote:

My 4’10” wife who just began towing this summer tows a 25’ FB ‘06 Safari with a 2011 MDX car! She’s got balls [emoji1707]*[emoji3601][emoji465] - oh, and a brain too. I’m a lucky guy!
Old 12-10-2018, 06:09 PM   #94
Rivet Master

2018 28' International
Fayetteville , Georgia
[QUOTE=SteveNdebbie;2188652]My 4’10” wife who just began towing this summer tows a 25’ FB ‘06 Safari with a 2011 MDX car! She’s got balls

I hope not ! 🤣
Old 12-10-2018, 06:58 PM   #95
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator View Post
SteveNdebbie,

We tow with a 2009 F150 and it has worked well. Both for our 34' and our 27'. That said, when it is time for a replacement, I am interested in an SUV getting better milage. I wish Fiat would put the diesel in the Dodge Durango.

My wife is learning to tow the 27' which is why we purchased/restored it. We have some friends in our group (SECU) who spit towing duty 50/50 and others who are not so precise but still alternate duties.
Go Boilers! Now let’s argue about Purdue vs Auburn in the commode bowl on 12/28 😂
Old 12-10-2018, 07:48 PM   #96
Rivet Master

1991 25' Excella
2011 19' Flying Cloud
Santa Ynez , California
Parallel thread started by op on his trailers forum same day, only 2 pages and no personal attacks.
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ith-63318.html

trolling?

Alan
Old 12-10-2018, 08:08 PM   #97
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by brick1 View Post
It is much easier and stress-free to tow with a 3/4 ton diesel. I previously towed my Airstream with an Expedition (hardly a small vehicle). The difference is night and day. I chuckle at those that think they can safely tow a large trailer with a Yugo.
Agreed!
Old 12-10-2018, 09:35 PM   #98
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Dalton , Ohio
[QUOTE=brick1;2188716]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveNdebbie View Post
My 4’10” wife who just began towing this summer tows a 25’ FB ‘06 Safari with a 2011 MDX car! She’s got balls

I hope not ! 🤣

Ok, how about ballsy (a cool, courageous woman who cannot be intimidated).[emoji12]
Old 12-10-2018, 09:39 PM   #99
Rivet Master

2018 28' International
Fayetteville , Georgia
[QUOTE=SteveNdebbie;2188793]
Quote:
Originally Posted by brick1 View Post

Ok, how about ballsy (a cool, courageous woman who cannot be intimidated).[emoji12]
Much better!
brick
Old 12-11-2018, 02:59 PM   #100
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:

Just a thought....
I agree.
I see this forum as a place for exchanging experiences we all have accumulated collectively.
We got our first Air stream in 2012 a 28' International.
Bought it from Bates in FL. Picked it up in middle of August driving solo and headed straight north to Chicago. Halfway through the trip, pulling out of a Road pilot the hitch fell apart. None of the the screws were tightened, so there I was knowing nothing about the hitch no tools. Luckily nothing got damaged and one of the mechanics was kind enough to lend me his tools .
By the time I got the hitch reinstalled I was an expert at hitches.
We are on our third Airtstream since and along the way many times I sought useful information on this forum and begun to realize that most of it was useless because rare was the post that was straight forward description of solution to problem.
Everything is peppered with opinions and disparagement totally confusing a person. Early on in 2012 I contacted Can AM trying to make a decision on a TV concerning payloads and how they deal with it on Vans and such that they were promoting, never got an answer back. Since than I educated myself through trial and error.
Post your experience so others can learn from it and live it at that. Opinions are just that, no one learns anything from them.
If a business wants to post an informative advertising promoting themselves go for it.
Closed Thread