Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-22-2020, 03:12 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2021 25' Flying Cloud
Muscoda , Wisconsin
Brian if you scroll up you値l see a post by Andy that contains a couple articles from RV Lifestyle.
The articles speak directly to your post.
I壇 be interested in your opinion on the articles.

My goal is to have some idea of what I知 doing before I head out with an AS the first time.
Your input is appreciated.
Tom Servo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 04:00 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
For your payload analysis, my 2018 FC25FBTwin has a tongue weight, loaded for camping with the waste tanks half full, around 1,100 pounds. I pull it just fine and within specs with a F150 3.5 Eco Crewcab with 1,850 payload and upgraded Bilstein shocks. Dramatically less payload would be out of spec. It might pull it fine. If you are in an accident the lawyers or insurance company might have a different opinion.
daleyocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 09:22 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
Brian if you scroll up you値l see a post by Andy that contains a couple articles from RV Lifestyle.
The articles speak directly to your post.
I壇 be interested in your opinion on the articles.

My goal is to have some idea of what I知 doing before I head out with an AS the first time.
Your input is appreciated.
I found nearly all of the finer points and technical details in both articles to be accurate and in keeping with my understanding. The 1/2 ton trucks generally ride nicer and have better road feel so when they have the physical capability as in your case, they will be more pleasant just as Andy assures. The advice about tires and suspension improvements are great. Unlike Andy, I see a larger roll for 3/4 ton trucks when the trailer is a bit too much for the 1/2. I take issue with the grand and bombastic pronouncements of both articles, but without a little controversy who would read them? The one technical point I do disagree is the idea you can disregard trailer size and weight. The trailer's inertia moment is a primary driver to loss of control of the vehicle in serious circumstances. Yes tires and and set up helps a lot but they can only do so much. The relative size and weight of the vehicle vs. the trailer ultimately creates the situation that drives towing instability.

Again in your case, the Tundra is a good choice unless you plan to bring a lot of extra gear. Pay attention to the details, Andy probably understands better than anyone the difference they can make.
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote