Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2020, 08:37 AM   #101
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Bolingbrook , IL
Thank you for bringing this post back to it's roots!
Glad to hear your doing what I was looking to do! I have the sport model with the tow package, GVWR 6750 & pay-lode of 1535, with another 500 lb's of ability. Not that its enough to make a big difference but dully noted to watch my weight. I am in Chicago so doing the same type of towing. I also have a 5000 Lb boat I tow but only a few miles to the lake and am not looking to drive a large Diesel around as my second car. I also will look into the Hitch you have now that i know it works for you!
Menard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 12:29 PM   #102
Trilla the Traveling Tube

2018 22' Sport
Dayton , Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbmitch View Post
Plus throw in a density altitude of 9000 ft in the summer time in Wyoming across I-80 and one would have some challenges with the semis going past you at 75 MPH.
Actually only about 8,700 ft at the summit...no semi climbs that at 75 mph. Climbed that hill many a time and they are lucky to hit a max speed of 65.

:0)
kpfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 05:06 PM   #103
Futurist

2021 27' Flying Cloud
Madison , Wisconsin
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
I will take our new 2020 Highlander non-hybrid across the sales to see actual axle loads compared to their rating of just over 3,600 pounds (both front and rear) with tires that have more load rating than the axle. That will give me fact based data to determine if towing a larger trailer like our 2015 23D is even a possibility.
Did you learn any more from this? We're trying to figure out whether we can tow a Caravel 22FB with a 2020 Highlander, and getting very mixed messages – everything from "absolutely NOT" to "yes, easily" – and don't know what to think.
ealmasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 03:41 PM   #104
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
It's unfortunate you are getting mixed messages but it's because part of understanding towing limits is technical and very complicated the other part is quite subjective having to do with comfort and feel.

If you go with that combination and you include a WD hitch with good sway control, your setup will be safe and stable at normal highway speeds. Many will find it a bit uncomfortable because the suspension will be a tad under damped and the trailer will push the vehicle around just a bit. Nothing serious, but I would find that tiresome. It will likely heat up a bit on steep grades and the brake may heat up some on the downgrades. All of this is manageable. Some would say no issue, others would find it intolerable. The Highlander is not the best fit but its not a fail.
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 09:26 AM   #105
Futurist

2021 27' Flying Cloud
Madison , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayouBiker View Post
If you go with that combination and you include a WD hitch with good sway control, your setup will be safe and stable at normal highway speeds. Many will find it a bit uncomfortable because the suspension will be a tad under damped and the trailer will push the vehicle around just a bit. Nothing serious, but I would find that tiresome. It will likely heat up a bit on steep grades and the brake may heat up some on the downgrades. All of this is manageable. Some would say no issue, others would find it intolerable. The Highlander is not the best fit but its not a fail.
Thank you for the insights! We're excited about getting an AS, but don't have use for a pickup or large SUV otherwise, so the tow vehicle suitability issue is a big concern. We considered the lighter 16RB, but the wet bathroom made that a non-started, and were pleasantly surprised to discover that the more spacious 22FB was the next lightest option (WRT hitch weight), so are focusing on that.
ealmasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 11:07 AM   #106
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
I think you have done a good job considering the alternatives and adressing the trade-offs. It sounds like nice happy medium for you. If the Highlander bounces more than you like, consider airbags or helper springs on the rear. Add 7 psi more than the heavy load recommendation to the rear tires (only) as long as you don't exceed max pressure listed on the sidewall. If the brakes heat up get some Hawk Performance or equivalent brake pads rated to 700 degrees. Have fun!
Old 09-14-2020, 04:52 AM   #107
2 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
2016 26' Flying Cloud
Felton , Delaware
We towed a 22FB Sport for almost three years with a Toyota FJ Cruiser. Consider everyone & everything in your TW as part of the total towing limit and with a WD hitch - as long as your under the TV’s max - you should be just fine!! We are thinking of selling ours at the first of the year to get something a tad bigger now that I have a bigger TV.
Dallashayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 07:10 AM   #108
2 Rivet Member

2019 23' International
Jensen Beach , Florida
You can do it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menard View Post
I just have bought a Jeep Gladiator Sport with a 6750 LB Tow cap and over all Weight of 12800.
My wife and I are now looking at getting an Airstream 25RB but the numbers are just up to the limit.
I would hate to have to replace the jeep as we thought it would be fun to have this vehicle out in the dessert.

Thoughts?
We towed our 27FB with a Durango R/T, probably similar to your Jeep gladiator and it worked just fine. Obviously you will be close to the limits but we never had any problem.
We have recently downsized to a 23FB which is certainly a better match for our Durango. That’s something you might consider? The 23 has everything the 25 has - but packed into a smaller space. We’ve been very happy with it.
HClews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 09:10 AM   #109
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
FYI the Durango is much more suited for on road towing than the Gladiator primarily because differences in spring rate and travel (on road vs. off road design criteria).
Old 04-10-2022, 11:25 AM   #110

San Juan Capistrano , California
The gladiator can two 6,100 lbs if its automatic transmission. Manual transmission = 4,500 lbs
robertonacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 12:14 PM   #111
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 02:03 PM   #112
2 Rivet Member

2021 25' Flying Cloud
berlin , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmc306 View Post
Since this post has left the rails I don’t feel bad about piling on.

My oldest son stopped by and asked to borrow our GT for the weekend. “Can I tow with it with my Challenger Scat Pack?”

Then he sends me a marketing photo for the 2021 Durango Hellcat with 710 HP and 8700 lbs towing capacity. No mention of payload... Man, those marketing guys love a shiny AS for their ads.
Don't laugh I pulled a 22' Holiday travel trailer with a 1972 Dodge Challenger 340 ci 4 speed on the ball. It wasn't the best setup but I got by
Capt who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 01:48 PM   #113

Woodstock , GA
Quote:
Originally Posted by azeeb View Post
Back to the original question...

I’m towing a 25FB with a gladiator rubicon.

One propane tank and lithium battery conversion to get my loaded tongue weight down to 750 lbs. I’m in Michigan where it’s pretty flat. I would probably want something smaller if I was in the mountains all the time.
Great looking setup! We have got a Gladiator Mojave and are heading to pick up a vintage AS Argosy this weekend! We’ve done lots of research on payload, hitch weight, tow ratings…. It’s definitely confusing if you’re new to the RV world. It’s nice to see someone with a similar setup.

Happy camping!
jeepfreakedc is offline   Reply With Quote