Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-23-2021, 04:31 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
bow , New Hampshire
Weighty matters

Am I the only one here that weighs items that will accrue to both the airstream as well as the tow vehicle's payload? For instance; I have a tw with 1525-lbs payload capacity. My trailer's hitch weight is 525-lbs, so I'm left with 1000-lbs. Now I have three people and a dog so that's about 460-lbs. That leaves 540-lbs. Another 160-lbs of fuel. So I'm left with around 840-lbs for the luggage and sundry items, all of which I weigh. I do the same with the airstream.

As for a weigh station, it's better to know beforehand what the weight is, roughly.

I allow 20-lbs for a suitcase. The ladies complain, but numbers are numbers. Heh.

Does anyone else here follow a wieght protocol when loading the the airstream and tow vehicle?
Old 11-23-2021, 04:35 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
bow , New Hampshire
lug nuts

I'm setting out for a Thanksgiving Day trip from New Hampshire to Long Island. I've checked the tire pressure in my airstream and the Gladiator. I've also checked the torque settings on all the lug nuts. I'm wondering if I should bring my torque wrench to periodically check the lug nuts on the Airstream. Does anyone else do this? Or is this obsessive compulsive?
Old 11-23-2021, 04:40 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluetick View Post
Am I the only one here that weighs items that will accrue to both the airstream as well as the tow vehicle's payload? For instance; I have a tw with 1525-lbs payload capacity. My trailer's hitch weight is 525-lbs, so I'm left with 1000-lbs. Now I have three people and a dog so that's about 460-lbs. That leaves 540-lbs. Another 160-lbs of fuel. So I'm left with around 840-lbs for the luggage and sundry items, all of which I weigh. I do the same with the airstream.

As for a weigh station, it's better to know beforehand what the weight is, roughly.

I allow 20-lbs for a suitcase. The ladies complain, but numbers are numbers. Heh.

Does anyone else here follow a wieght protocol when loading the the airstream and tow vehicle?
Nope, every item which is not a permanent resident of the AS or truck is weighed and accounted for on a spreadsheet. Permanent items are accounted for at the cat scales.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 04:45 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Springfield , Ohio
I think it's a good idea to always carry a torque wrench in the tow vehicle, my choice, or in the trailer. They're small, easy to store and you'll have it when you need it. As for weighing items put into the trailer - no, I don't weigh them. I mostly carry the same items one each trip and it's not very likely I would overload my 30' Flying Cloud. It has a significantly higher load rating than the smaller units.
Old 11-23-2021, 04:49 AM   #5
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
I don't track things like dsnf0g does on a spreadsheet, but I am conscious of everything going into the trailer or TV and its added weight.

We're coming to the 25-ft Excella from a 35-ft coach where weight was not really a consideration. We always bought/installed what we wanted and never thought about the weight. Now that we're in a trailer, every item is scrutinized and its weight given thought.

Perhaps I need to be a bit more detailed about this and keep my old shipping scale out near the trailer as I get it loaded for its first full season of travel.

And yes to the torque wrench. I carry a TW in the tow vehicle for checking the lug nuts as well as for re-torquing the axle mounts at the appropriate time down the road (just replaced the axles).
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser (Sold)
richard5933 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 05:15 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
I weigh everything that goes in the Airstream or the truck and I enter it in a dynamic spreadsheet to keep track of my overall weight. I carry a torque wrench whenever I tow and I check my lug nut torque regularly. I’ve validated my spreadsheet on a few occasions at the CAT scale, and I’ve also used a Sherline scale to measure my trailer tongue weight. It’s important to note that when determining available payload, the trailer’s tongue weight is not the same as the load that the trailer transfers to the tow vehicle. For example, my tongue weight is approximately 520 lbs, but the trailer transfers approximately 630 lbs. to my truck when hitched. I use the latter number in my payload calculation.

I know it’s all a bit nerdy, but I like data.

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 05:35 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
"I know it’s all a bit nerdy, but I like data."

Data don't lie...like people do. (even to themselves!)

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 11-23-2021, 06:15 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
That leaves 540-lbs. Another 160-lbs of fuel. So I'm left with around 840-lbs for the luggage and sundry items, all of which I weigh. I do the same with the airstream.
First I'd buy a calculator.
Old 11-23-2021, 06:48 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
No, I do not weigh stuff. I either feel I need or desire to carry it or I don't need to carry it. I think with my rig I have plenty of payload.

You might be being a little conservative in your thinking. The payload for the TV most likely already considers 150 lbs for the driver and a full tank of fuel.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 08:49 AM   #10
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:

>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>

After 17yrs with the same rig we usually just load-up and go.
If I KNOW the weight to be substantially different we MAY stop at the CAT, but usually I will just stop and do a seat-of-the-pants load and or WD adjustment.
Familiarity breed knowledge.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 11-23-2021, 09:04 AM   #11
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
I'm setting out for a Thanksgiving Day trip from New Hampshire to Long Island. I've checked the tire pressure in my airstream and the Gladiator. I've also checked the torque settings on all the lug nuts. I'm wondering if I should bring my torque wrench to periodically check the lug nuts on the Airstream. Does anyone else do this? Or is this obsessive compulsive?
You can't check torque.
You CAN ck tightness.
Torque is done on a LOOSE fastener. If you loosen the lug nut you CAN then retorque, then stop in 20mi and check tightness. You should not torque a hot nut, the tire & wheel should be at ambient temp.
POI its not good practice to loosen the lug with the torque wrench.
I torque at home and check tightness on the road with an + wench, two umph's will do it.
I do not take my Snap-on or bar TW on the road.

TETO

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B527B3F4-0D61-4D63-9842-8D35477981F9_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	356.5 KB
ID:	408342   Click image for larger version

Name:	ED8A29D0-A0D3-49CF-9AA8-719CFE91EF1A.jpeg
Views:	30
Size:	287.2 KB
ID:	408349  

Old 11-23-2021, 09:10 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam View Post
First I'd buy a calculator.

You beat me to it! 🤣
Gotta_Travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 06:46 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2024 23' International
South of Austin , Texas
Quote:

A suitcase is not going to put you over-weight. If you are careful about what you bring and don't over-pack junk you don't need, theres no need to weigh anything.

Someone who is actively living in their airstream long term, may benefit as they will have things with them they dont need, with using scales. Otherwise if you think you need to do this, you are likely already over loaded.

I grabbed a scale for the tongue a couple of years ago and I base most of the loading levels of my AS on that empty weight with water in the tank and LP tanks full, then go from there. I will re-weigh after the AS is loaded for a long cross country drive, but short trips to the local state park, No becuase we have supplies for two days, not 10.
JJTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 07:05 AM   #14
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
I don’t weigh my things every trip. Now that I know how much everything weighs and I’ve got it in a spreadsheet, I simply check the items that I’m bringing and I have a good estimate of my total load. The only times that I ever get close to my limit are when I pack the generator and gasoline, and when I’m on a long trip with lots of gear.

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 07:36 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis C View Post
I don’t weigh my things every trip. Now that I know how much everything weighs and I’ve got it in a spreadsheet, I simply check the items that I’m bringing and I have a good estimate of my total load. The only times that I ever get close to my limit are when I pack the generator and gasoline, and when I’m on a long trip with lots of gear.
Yes, me too. Once you have the database on the spreadsheet, when things change (like dry camping for a few days, and having to travel with...say, 1/2 tank black, fullish gray, and low fresh) how does that change things? A quick glance on the spreadsheet and you know. Inventively, on long trips, things get moved around....how does that affect things? Another quick sheet check and you know, and can take action.

It is pretty surprising how, after a week or two of travel, how I can go from 12% TW to 8 or 9%....for example.

Whenever I have a significant equipment change, or every couple years, I'll hit the scales to reset the baseline for the sheet.

Old 11-24-2021, 08:30 AM   #16
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Ever since I heard that the Honda Ridgeline had a 1500# payload capacity, I’ve put even less emphasis on the payload number. But I tend to drive very conservatively.

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 09:36 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Tucson , Arizona
New to weighing

I just started doing this, and it is more complicated than it might appear. Deciding what is base weight and what is cargo is not as simple as it seems. We are constantly refining our gear, so weighing everything individually would be ideal, though tedious. We regard clothing as gear. The AS is equipped with clothes that stay with it, no need to pack. Clothing is chosen for utility, light weight, quick drying. After realizing that we wore the same things most of the time we pared our wardrobe down, one of the benefits of having standardized kit.
nmzouk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 10:12 AM   #18
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Quote:

Common affliction known as haftondippydoodleitis. Cure is straightforward.

Good luck, Bill
Old 11-28-2021, 10:20 AM   #19
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmzouk View Post
I just started doing this, and it is more complicated than it might appear. Deciding what is base weight and what is cargo is not as simple as it seems. We are constantly refining our gear, so weighing everything individually would be ideal, though tedious. We regard clothing as gear. The AS is equipped with clothes that stay with it, no need to pack. Clothing is chosen for utility, light weight, quick drying. After realizing that we wore the same things most of the time we pared our wardrobe down, one of the benefits of having standardized kit.
Simple...do not go over the GAWR front & rear, same goes for the trailer AND stay under the load rating of the tires, and go camping.

Individual opinions may vary.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 11-28-2021, 10:25 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
High Point , North Carolina
I'm amazed at the complexity and detail folks make of weight. I've towed stuff all my life from livestock to train parts to grains and produce. Never once had an issue because I've always felt those who make trailers, build & size them for the loads. In other words, you can't or shouldn't put more horses in a trailer than the maker gave you spots or you'll have a problem. I feel the same way about campers & trucks. They make a specific amount of cargo space meant to carry your cargo to fit the limits. Of course that all goes out the window if your stuffing it with statues & headstones but I always feel that normal gear is allowed for. My other safety check are my eyeballs. Put more in a trailer or truck than its meant to hold, it usually looks it and isn't level...maybe I'm rolling the dice but I've had a 50+ yr winning streak so far.
Rfriebele is offline   Reply With Quote