Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-28-2021, 10:26 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>

After 17yrs with the same rig we usually just load-up and go.
If I KNOW the weight to be substantially different we MAY stop at the CAT, but usually I will just stop and do a seat-of-the-pants load and or WD adjustment.
Familiarity breed knowledge.

Bob
����
Dito - I feel that if I don't have enough margin to throw in a torque wrench then it's time to get more margin. It is literally impossible to measure every Kleenex or travel mug you load. Payload is meaningless and weights relative to front/rear GAWR and GVWR is the bottom line.
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 12:22 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
West Lake Hills , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluetick View Post
Another 160-lbs of fuel.
The sticker says "occupants". Payload sticker on the door assumes full fuel but nothing else in the TV. No driver, no other occupants, no dog, no sunglasses. If you have doubts, weigh it at a CAT or ag scale.

We also have a limited wardrobe so the clothing load has become lighter. We don't camp much in hot weather. I wear the same "traveling pants" on travel days as that seems to be the time when dirt/grime happens most often. We keep the greasy PPP stinger covered while camping, also a major source of grime. We don't mind doing laundry on the road. Even some state parks have laundry facilities (Cedars of Lebanon, TN). Load the washer, go for a short hike, get back in time to move the load to the dryer, etc. My son's house in Georgia has a nice laundry room, too.

We don't weigh every item. We are well below max payload on both the AS and the TV. The F-250 has ~3000# of payload. The gear changes very little now. Nothing rides on the floor of the trailer. I've weighed the rig packed for a 30-day trip (full fridge, freezer, and pantry) with full fresh water and still come in under payload. None of our overhead cabinets are more than half full. The only things riding in the cab are two adults (total weight <270#), a small ice chest, some beef jerky and mixed nuts for a midday munch while driving, and the all-important wine/whiskey.

I check the torque of both vehicles, but not every drive. As mentioned earlier you can't really re-torque it without loosening first. Two torque wrenches. I calibrate my mechanical torque wrench to the electronic wrench. It's always spot on; or maybe they're both off by the same amount. But I'm blissful about their agreement. Breaker bar to loosen lugs if necessary.

Lots of tools, assorted lubricants and sealants, and a few extra parts in the bed of the truck. What's in there is probably overkill but I have the surplus payload and I don't want to be stuck somewhere wishing I had a right-side brake assembly and the tools to do the job (done that already).
Fungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 12:43 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2021 25' International
Sandy , Utah
Torque

Quote:
I'm setting out for a Thanksgiving Day trip from New Hampshire to Long Island. I've checked the tire pressure in my airstream and the Gladiator. I've also checked the torque settings on all the lug nuts. I'm wondering if I should bring my torque wrench to periodically check the lug nuts on the Airstream. Does anyone else do this? Or is this obsessive compulsive?
I am always amazed that on short trips at least one lugnut has loosed. Long trips seems one on each wheel. I torque aluminum wheels every departure.
Rosey Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 03:55 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

1998 31' Excella 1000
Simpsonville , South Carolina
Quote:
Am I the only one here that weighs items that will accrue to both the airstream as well as the tow vehicle's payload? For instance; I have a tw with 1525-lbs payload capacity. My trailer's hitch weight is 525-lbs, so I'm left with 1000-lbs. Now I have three people and a dog so that's about 460-lbs. That leaves 540-lbs. Another 160-lbs of fuel. So I'm left with around 840-lbs for the luggage and sundry items, all of which I weigh. I do the same with the airstream.

As for a weigh station, it's better to know beforehand what the weight is, roughly.

I allow 20-lbs for a suitcase. The ladies complain, but numbers are numbers. Heh.

Does anyone else here follow a wieght protocol when loading the the airstream and tow vehicle?
The 160 lbs you are deducting, you should not.
Google "The curb weight of my truck"
It is the vehicle with a "full tank" of fuel and all fluids and all standard equipment that came with it, no accessories etc.
This is per Ford Motor info and general info.
sctinman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 08:32 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2021 27' International
Camas , Washington
Good one, irony or satire?
Old 11-28-2021, 08:47 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2021 27' International
Camas , Washington
Quote:
I'm setting out for a Thanksgiving Day trip from New Hampshire to Long Island. I've checked the tire pressure in my airstream and the Gladiator. I've also checked the torque settings on all the lug nuts. I'm wondering if I should bring my torque wrench to periodically check the lug nuts on the Airstream. Does anyone else do this? Or is this obsessive compulsive?

Good one, irony or satire?
Dick tracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 05:10 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Rogers , Arkansas
I have been to the Cat scales once and that was after loading for a month long trip. We had plenty of cargo weight to spare. I have added a few items and taken out out 2 items that were never used. Besides a coat or another sweatshirt or 2, nothing much ever goes in or out anymore.
As for checking lug nuts, I’m with Mr. Cross. Check for tightness with a lug wrench regularly not with a torque wrench.
Mikebrady62 is offline   Reply With Quote