Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-01-2021, 12:10 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2022 25' International
Dallas , Texas
Weight of Options

Does anyone know the weight of the following options on a 25’ AS?
  • 180W solar
  • Awning package
  • 2nd AC

Thanks!
Texarado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 01:16 PM   #2
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmslade View Post
Does anyone know the weight of the following options on a 25’ AS?
  • 180W solar
  • Awning package
  • 2nd AC

Thanks!
Hi

If you are right up against a payload limit on your TV, buying a trailer you aren't going to be happy with is not the right answer. Work out what will keep you happy for a *long* time. The trailer will outlast *many* tow vehicles.

Solar panels are about 40 pounds each with all the structure included, the package has two of them. There are various other bits and pieces involved, guess weight would be about 120 pounds.

Awning probably is around a hundred pounds, maybe more.

Second A/C also gets you 50A power so it's not just the weight of the A/C unit it's self. Best guess is 200 to 300 pounds once it's all done up.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 01:44 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2022 25' International
Dallas , Texas
Oh, without question, we’re going for the long term trailer. We’ve included all of these options on the trailer we ordered. I was just curious what this does to the overall trailer weight.
Old 09-01-2021, 01:48 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Flagstaff , Arizona
Quote:
Oh, without question, we’re going for the long term trailer. We’ve included all of these options on the trailer we ordered. I was just curious what this does to the overall trailer weight.
My research into the weights is different:

Zamp 90 amp solar panels are 15 lbs each

Dometic Brisk II Evolution 15K with Heat Pump is 85lbs.

I think the optional 2nd AC unit is a 13.5K version which should be lighter. I cannot find the weight of that unit but it should be lighter.

I would like to know the source of the higher weights referenced above.
Old 09-01-2021, 01:50 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2022 25' International
Dallas , Texas
I just sent an email to Airstream. Not sure they’ll give me this breakdown, but I’ll let you know what I hear. They were very responsive on a question about AGM/Lithium yesterday.
Old 09-01-2021, 02:56 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2022 25' International
Dallas , Texas
Just an update… I was told by AS the AC is in the 50-60# range, each panel is ~15# and the awning package is around 30#.

That said, for what it’s worth, I heard from someone else whose only additional option is the AC and his sticker weight was ~200 heavier than the base weight. That may be attributable to the other 50A equipment upgrades. Not sure.

Finally, AS told me there’s no real difference in weight between the gas oven and convection microwave.
Old 09-01-2021, 03:26 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Flagstaff , Arizona
Quote:
Just an update… I was told by AS the AC is in the 50-60# range, each panel is ~15# and the awning package is around 30#.

That said, for what it’s worth, I heard from someone else whose only additional option is the AC and his sticker weight was ~200 heavier than the base weight. That may be attributable to the other 50A equipment upgrades. Not sure.

Finally, AS told me there’s no real difference in weight between the gas oven and convection microwave.
Thanks, those individual weights square with my sources.

Sticker weight of 200 lbs more for 2nd AC may represent production variation as well. All up with additional ducting, I could see 2nd AC adding 100+ lbs to the total weight. Very little additional weight adding the 50 amp wiring. A little heavier wire to the distribution center and few extra circuit breakers. Appears to be in the ball park of my expectations.

The key issue is how much of the second AC weight gets applied to tongue weight. My best guess based on the placement of second AC unit near the trailer center of gravity at least 30% of the 2nd AC weight will get transferred to the tongue. If you get solar panels a little of this weight will get offset but probably not much.

Old 09-01-2021, 03:39 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenchase View Post
Very little additional weight adding the 50 amp wiring.
Don't forget the extra 1000 pounds for the grey 50 amp monster power cable.
Does Airstream still use those?

Seriously, unless you're doing a science experiment, get the trailer YOU want, not one your tow vehicle wants.
Tow vehicles come and go, but suffering seems forever.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 03:51 PM   #9
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

If you are right up against a payload limit on your TV, buying a trailer you aren't going to be happy with is not the right answer. Work out what will keep you happy for a *long* time. The trailer will outlast *many* tow vehicles.

Solar panels are about 40 pounds each with all the structure included, the package has two of them. There are various other bits and pieces involved, guess weight would be about 120 pounds.

Awning probably is around a hundred pounds, maybe more.

Second A/C also gets you 50A power so it's not just the weight of the A/C unit it's self. Best guess is 200 to 300 pounds once it's all done up.

Bob
^
X2

Buying an Airstream is not the time to put the horse before the cart. Trying to size an Airstream to what you believe your horse can pull can be very frustrating.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 09-01-2021, 04:16 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2022 25' International
Dallas , Texas
As noted, this is more about just trying to plan in advance rather than trying to size it up.

Probably more suited for a different thread, but I’d love any gut reactions on going with a 2022 Flying Cloud 25FB vs. a 2019 Globetrotter 27FB. The price would be comparable (within 2-3k). We have an opportunity to purchase a friend’s 2019, but with all of the technological updates on the 2020, 2021, and 2022s, it seems like that’s trading a lot of technology for immediate gratification. Our Flying Cloud 25FB is scheduled for early Nov.
Old 09-01-2021, 04:59 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Probably more suited for a different thread, but I’d love any gut reactions on going with a 2022 Flying Cloud 25FB vs. a 2019 Globetrotter 27FB. The price would be comparable (within 2-3k). We have an opportunity to purchase a friend’s 2019, but with all of the technological updates on the 2020, 2021, and 2022s, it seems like that’s trading a lot of technology for immediate gratification. Our Flying Cloud 25FB is scheduled for early Nov.
It would have the old water heater which is better for boondocking. Fridge would be propane capable, which may be worse or better depending. Probably a plywood subfloor, which would be worse.

Interesting choice.
DCPAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 05:15 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2022 25' International
Dallas , Texas
The boss doesn’t like the darker interior of the GBT as much as the lighter gray in the new FC, so the decision may be settled!
Old 09-01-2021, 06:09 PM   #13
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

There's way more to each of these options than just the raw this or that. The solar panel still needs mounts and they need to be pretty rugged. There's also a bit of wire involved. That wire isn't exactly light weight......

Bob
Old 09-02-2021, 09:50 AM   #14
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
As noted, this is more about just trying to plan in advance rather than trying to size it up.

Hi

The *only* way to work this stuff out is to go sit in examples of each model. There is no way to do it from internet data or from other's perceptions. We all are different. Each of us reacts to things in different ways. If you are 6'4", this and that will bother you more than somebody who is 6' 1".

In some ways, bigger (inside) is always better. You will have more space / more of this or that. Bigger (outside) has it's limitations. Just how much it limits you is very open to debate and gets right back to "where will *you* go with your trailer".

We started shopping for a trailer that would "fit" behind our Honda Pilot. That idea died really early in the process. Boy am I *glad* it did. We would be on our second trailer at this point if we had made that mistake .... Swapping out the Pilot a year or three early was not as big a hit as trading up on the trailer would have been.

Bob