Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-09-2012, 07:29 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Bend , Oregon
Weight distribution hitch and/or sway control

I have a 2012 Toyota Sequoia SR5 with the 5.7L engine and tow package. Looking to purchase a 22' Sport sometime in the next few months. My question is do I need a weight distribution hitch and/or sway control device? The 2012 Sequoia apparently has factory TSC (trailer sway control) which works with the ABS and stability control. Does that mean I don't need an aftermarket sway device and only a WDH? If so what brand would people recommend? If it isn't obvious this will be my first Airstream.
chaeha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:33 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Yes you need a weight distribution hitch with sway control, to dampen any sway event that may happen and distribute the trailer tongue weight among the truck and trailer axles, rather than entirely on the truck rear axle (this would lighten the truck steering axle to a dangerous condition if it rains, snows, or sudden maneuvers are needed).

We have the new Andersen weight distribution hitch, have about 4000 miles on it, and like it much better than the spring bar style hitch. It is easy to install, greaseless, lightweight, inexpensive, has excellent sway dampening, and rides much better on rough roadways.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9193.jpg
Views:	1174
Size:	336.6 KB
ID:	172404  
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 05:02 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
I have used Reese Style hitches for many years and find they do a fine job. It is a proven design with good durability and acceptable price. If you have a short wheelbase and a heavy trailer, a number of forum members have found it worthwhile to spend the extra money for Hensely type hitch.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 07:17 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
My 22' Sport weighs just over 4000# ready to go with 435# on the ball. I believe the new Sports may be a bit more. I do not use a WDH or sway control. Been towing this for six years and over 20k without any problem, under all kinds of conditions. Depending on the TV it's usually the 25' and up trailers that need the extra help. I'd try towing without first. You can always add later. I've heard the Sequoia anti sway system really works good.
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 07:27 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahab View Post
My 22' Sport weighs just over 4000# ready to go with 435# on the ball. I believe the new Sports may be a bit more. I do not use a WDH or sway control. Been towing this for six years and over 20k without any problem, under all kinds of conditions. Depending on the TV it's usually the 25' and up trailers that need the extra help. I'd try towing without first. You can always add later. I've heard the Sequoia anti sway system really works good.
The "always add later" could be during a spell recovering from an accident.

Load equalizing hitches and sway controls are design to allow owners to SAFELY TOW.

ANYONE that doesn't use them, will sooner or later pay the price for kicking safety to the curb.

Trucks are not by any means MAGIC.

If the guy doesn't care, he should also inform his pasengers and family, that he doesn't care, and therefore their individual safety is at a HUGE RISK because of his foolishness.

Sound harsch?

You bet you!!!

WHY ?

Give your life all the plus things and don't take risks that are far more than proven that cause fatal injuries.

BE SAFE, NOT SORRY.

Being sorry, will never return a life, no matter who you are.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 09:15 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Kanata , Ontario
I would not tow a trailer without a hitch with sway control. I have many miles pulling a 20' SOB with a Equal-i-zer WD hitch with integrated sway control. I've pull in many very windy days - you can feel the hitch working to keep everything aligned.

With the move to a longer trailer (31' Safari), I upgraded to a ProPride hitch. It simply works better and is more enjoyable to tow.

A requirement for weight distribution is more a matter of running the numbers depending on the loading on your vehicle. Most combinations however will want a WD hitch to keep the load balanced over both axles.
MaxTow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 10:22 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Many of us have said it before, Weight Distribution aids any tow vehicle and Airstream set up, regardless of tow vehicle or size of Airstream. Spreading the load across the axles of your TV and the trailer can only ever be beneficial, so why turn down additional help? Sway control is also a must because as Andy R says above, if you don't, one day that trailer will turn around and bite you. It's simple physics.

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:05 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
The "always add later" could be during a spell recovering from an accident.

Load equalizing hitches and sway controls are design to allow owners to SAFELY TOW.

ANYONE that doesn't use them, will sooner or later pay the price for kicking safety to the curb.

Trucks are not by any means MAGIC.

If the guy doesn't care, he should also inform his pasengers and family, that he doesn't care, and therefore their individual safety is at a HUGE RISK because of his foolishness.

Sound harsch?

You bet you!!!

WHY ?

Give your life all the plus things and don't take risks that are far more than proven that cause fatal injuries.

BE SAFE, NOT SORRY.

Being sorry, will never return a life, no matter who you are.

Andy
Listen to Andy!
Can you afford to not be safe ???? Think of your loved ones and friends ...
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:11 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
I'm new too - haven't even got my AS yet, but my TV manual says that for my truck, WD is optional. And it has "sway control" built in (automatic braking, slowing RPMs, etc.). I'm still going to buy a WD/SC hitch and set it up on scales. Maybe it's belts and suspenders but the lives of my wife, my dog, myself and others on the road as well as my financial investment are very much worth over-protecting. My $0.02 - everyone's mileage varies. Good luck!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 12:37 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Wichita Falls , TX
What is considered the best (forget cost) WD/SC hitch for a 27 fbt AS?
ga adkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 02:49 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1987 25' Sovereign
Fort Collins , Colorado
What Andy said!

“We are confronted with insurmountable opportunities.”
Dan and Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 03:43 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
"What is considered the best (forget cost) WD/SC hitch for a 27 fbt AS?"

From reading the Airforums for a long time and talking to a lot of Airstreamers many of the posters here consider the Hensley and Pro Pride hitches to be the best.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 04:16 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2004 31' Classic
Rock Hill , South Carolina
Pro Pride seems to be the best from talking to other campers and reading on this forum. We use Reese dual cam and have had no trouble. Getting it set up is important. Matching bar lbs to the suspension of tow vehicle is critical. This would be the same with any other brand. There are other threads on this forum with opinions about hitches. Good luck with your decision.
rastapoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 04:26 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
This past week took our last outing. 4 AS’s in the campground. 3 had Propride and one had a Hensley. I have a Propride. On our way back we had 20 to 25 mph side winds the entire way. Drove like a charm. No sway. Trailer stable. Drove between 60 and 65 the entire way not a problem. Sure there was some push from the winds, but not any different than driving normal car. I have a 2017 F150 XLT with Supercab and 3.5 Ecoboost pulling a 28’ International. So not a big truck. The Propride makes towing so much easier and secure. And that’s what the 2 guys pulling Classics said as well.

Expensive. Yes. But the point of camping is to enjoy the experience. When I bought my AS I paid really good money. Figured if I am going to spend that kind of money to get an AS then I might as well get the hitch that will be the best and make driving more relaxing. But others have had good success with different hitches. BUT YOU MUST HAVE SOME ANTISWAY or you will be miserable driving; or worse yet in an accident.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 04:52 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Ditto, in spades. An uncontrolled sway condition can ruin your whole day, and often leads to a "laundry problem" if you survive the experience.

But, no matter what kind of hitch, it MUST be installed and set up properly, and the weight distribution (WD) bars must be correctly adjusted for the load.

Search the forums for the "three pass method" of using a CAT scale and careful measurements to properly set up the hitch weight distribution system..

I have towed my setup on just one, white-knuckle trip up and down a local mountain pass with a hitch that did not have any anti-sway features.

That was one trip too many...that same week, I ordered and installed a new ProPride system. The next trip was 12 weeks, about 10,000 miles total driving, and zero white knuckle issues, even across West Texas in heavy winds and semi-truck rigs passing me at ridiculous speeds. Hensley Manufacturing and ProPride hitches have the same basic design. Jim Hensley was the guy that designed both versions. The ProPride is the latest design, and, IMHO, is built much stronger and installs easier than the other brand. I also prefer the ProPride install method that does not depend on drilling any holes in the A-frame.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote