Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2017, 06:24 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
The only people I know who had their Airstream 28 go into a rapidly increasing sway and the whole thing rolled down the side grade were towing with an F-250. Traveling downhill in AZ, on a curve around a mountain, sudden extreme sidewind, the trailer quickly increased oscillations widely and they lost control. She had severe injuries. They did have a w.d. hitch.

"Heft", high center of gravity, vague steering, and solid axle suspension only means it will be harder to control when things go out of control. Put the chances on your side, get a high quality w.d hitch with sway control device or Hensley/ProPride with sway elimination design and quit fooling around with this "you don't need it with that truck" advice.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 06:27 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
2017 2500 ram /13 31' classic, with a 3" lift kit and 16" michelins work well with the Reese duel cam.....
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 07:49 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2017 28' International
Virginia Beach , Virginia
I pull my 28 International with an equalizer and an F250 - hardly know she's behind me.
VaTravelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 04:23 AM   #24
ObviouslyKnot

Currently Looking...
KAILUA , HI
Watch some Pro Pride You tube videos, cheap education.
Old 06-01-2017, 06:05 AM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Huntsville , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklyfrank View Post
A 30' Airstream has different dynamics than a 26'. It will wag the dog so I would say don't experiment use a WD hitch.
Good point. I imagine the 30 does behave differently. So with the 30 the WD may not be needed for the F250, but sounds like the Anti-sway would be.
Old 06-01-2017, 07:04 AM   #26
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Sure am glad we discuss the same things continuously, gives this bored, weak minded person something to do. Keep it up, I'm easily entertained.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 07:09 AM   #27
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
Sure am glad we discuss the same things continuously, gives this bored, weak minded person something to do. Keep it up, I'm easily entertained.
Hi

This way we can talk about them in a different order each time

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 08:28 AM   #28

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Fairfield , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

This way we can talk about them in a different order each time

Bob
Also, the state of mushin, the beginner's mind, I pick up new things each time be they new or forgotten or a new insight of same facts.

Matti
Mattirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 12:49 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaTravelers View Post
I pull my 28 International with an equalizer and an F250 - hardly know she's behind me.
That can't be possible !
You gotahave the PropPride (comes with a 23 page installation instruction) or a Hensley for that :-).
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 05:38 AM   #30
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklyfrank View Post
That can't be possible !
You gotahave the PropPride (comes with a 23 page installation instruction) or a Hensley for that :-).
Hi

You notice it a lot less after you knock the rear view mirror off the windshield (Yes indeed, been there / done that .... more than once !!)

Bob
Old 06-02-2017, 06:33 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Do your research before making statements...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashwa View Post
The best (and only except for Hensley) Anti-sway hitch is the ProPride 3P Hitch. Blue Ox, etc. are NOT anti-sway. Reason: you still have the ball hitch swivel point; therefore, the trailer can initiate movement side to side, which you want to eliminate. Only your tow vehicle should initiate movement, e.g., for a turn or when backing up. The equalizer bars will create some stability if adjusted properly, but they will not eliminate sway. You get a strong enough side force and it will sway and possibly fishtail. I tow a 30' Classic with a 3500 Duramax Silverado with zero issues no matter what the side force is.
Dashwa- before making this claim, I suggest you research the data on these WDH hitches; Many of these units have anit-sway built in. I have used 3 hitches, including Reese, Equalizer, and 2 Blue-Ox over the years. All 3 do the job and all are rated with both weight distribution and anti-sway control.

Currently, I am looking at a new Blue-Ox or Equalizer for my new 28', picking up next week. Even though I just purchased a new F250, I want a the WDH with Antisway in my hitch assembly. I will disable the electronic anti-sway in the truck when I tow, unless someone has a better suggestion?
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 07:33 AM   #32
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
..... I will disable the electronic anti-sway in the truck when I tow, unless someone has a better suggestion?
Hi

I believe the anti-sway in the truck is mainly a feed into the brakes. The hitches should get along with it pretty well.

Bob
Old 06-02-2017, 07:47 AM   #33
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Florence , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Currently, I am looking at a new Blue-Ox or Equalizer for my new 28', picking up next week. Even though I just purchased a new F250, I want a the WDH with Antisway in my hitch assembly. I will disable the electronic anti-sway in the truck when I tow, unless someone has a better suggestion?
My 30' International Sig came with a Blue Ox so that's what I use with my Ram 2500. I use it for the sway more than the WD because the AS doesn't get close on any of the weight ratings for the truck.

I've towed around 8k miles so far on 8-10 trips including through the mountains of NC and I'm very happy with the setup and ease of connections.
joshjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 08:10 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I think it is important to look at the two features a good hitch system offers, weight distribution and sway control. Not all hitches do both equally well.

Insufficient w.d. is a reason many people are unhappy with the stability of their tow vehicle, and it's ability to carry hitch and bed loads. With good w.d. the sway control device may not be as important because the steering axle does not "float", and the tow vehicle can carry more load if the load is well distributed on it's axles and a portion transferred to the trailer axles. Tapered w.d. bar design will give a better ride and transfer less shock, and put less stress on the trailer A-frame and tow vehicle receiver.

Sway control systems vary in design and effectiveness, especially those hitches with built-in sway control. They are all designed to dampen and/or resist the lateral forces the trailer leverages from the receiver ball connection to the tow vehicle steering axle and keep the trailer from going into dangerous increasing oscillations. Except the Hensley/ProPride design which projects trailer lateral forces forward to the tow vehicle rear axle where they are stopped, not leveraged forward, like a fifth wheel or semi.

You will never have good w.d. and sway control unless the hitch system is set up and adjusted properly. (You will never know if you have good weight distribution unless you take the combination to a truck scale and weigh the load the individual tow vehicle and trailer axles are carrying.) Get expert help doing this, our experience is many RV dealers have no expertise. Many sell you a one-size-fits-all hitch that is simplest to install, get it installed as quickly as possible, and send you down the road.

The hitch expert most useful to you is yourself. Learn how these things work and how to set them up properly, and use a truck (CAT) scale to verify your adjustments are getting proper w.d. and not overloading any axle.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 11:06 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2012 23' FB International
Woodstock , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by waninae39 View Post
eaz-left has been working very well for me.
both weight distribution and sway control
heavier trailers should get two sway modules. lighter ones are fine with one
Just replaced my Hensley which blew up around the equalizer inserts.
Can-AM sold me an Equalizer just like this one. They suggested I should have 2 friction anti-sway units...I chose to go with one since that was enough on my other '89 25ft. I pulled 500 Km on two rallies without the anti-sway on yet. It is a bit squirrely in strong cross winds but nothing uncontrollable. I will be installing one Husky friction anti-sway before the next trip. It becomes very important in an emergency at high speeds on Interstates or evasive maneuvers
JCW

Sure do miss the Hensley. I will be posting pics of what happened
JCW
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 11:29 AM   #36

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCWDCW View Post
Just replaced my Hensley which blew up around the equalizer inserts.
Can-AM sold me an Equalizer just like this one. They suggested I should have 2 friction anti-sway units...I chose to go with one since that was enough on my other '89 25ft. I pulled 500 Km on two rallies without the anti-sway on yet. It is a bit squirrely in strong cross winds but nothing uncontrollable. I will be installing one Husky friction anti-sway before the next trip. It becomes very important in an emergency at high speeds on Interstates or evasive maneuvers
JCW

Sure do miss the Hensley. I will be posting pics of what happened
JCW
Aren't Hensleys lifetime warranted?

I'm guessing you're using "Equalizer" as a euphemism for "weight-distributing hitch" here because Equal-I-Zer hitches don't require separate friction sway control, it's built into the design of the hitch.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 11:32 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Blue Ox vs Equalizer experience

My only experience with Equalizer was with my 2008 Safari which I bought used, and this WDH was on it. I used for a short time, and it buckled when I was backing up on a trip. Closest dealer only had Blue Ox in stock, so that's how I ended up with Blue Ox first time. Once you get the hang of setting it up, using your jack motor, it is not that difficult. Can startle or even scare some folks, if the tension is not relieved enough, prior using the breaker wrench supplied. I liked it a lot so I got a new one with our 2014 model, which we just sold. After 3 years and many miles pulling with that WDH, we had no issues and I believe having the spring bars connected to the chains, allow for more "forgiveness" towing when conditions push on the trailer. Also, never a problem backing up even when cranking the wheel. The dealer in Portland has both. I am getting the new Blue Ox again, I believe, but could be talked out of it if there is something better other than a $2k hitch..
Old 06-02-2017, 11:33 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
I think it is important to look at the two features a good hitch system offers, weight distribution and sway control. Not all hitches do both equally well.

Insufficient w.d. is a reason many people are unhappy with the stability of their tow vehicle, and it's ability to carry hitch and bed loads. With good w.d. the sway control device may not be as important because the steering axle does not "float", and the tow vehicle can carry more load if the load is well distributed on it's axles and a portion transferred to the trailer axles. Tapered w.d. bar design will give a better ride and transfer less shock, and put less stress on the trailer A-frame and tow vehicle receiver.

Sway control systems vary in design and effectiveness, especially those hitches with built-in sway control. They are all designed to dampen and/or resist the lateral forces the trailer leverages from the receiver ball connection to the tow vehicle steering axle and keep the trailer from going into dangerous increasing oscillations. Except the Hensley/ProPride design which projects trailer lateral forces forward to the tow vehicle rear axle where they are stopped, not leveraged forward, like a fifth wheel or semi.

You will never have good w.d. and sway control unless the hitch system is set up and adjusted properly. (You will never know if you have good weight distribution unless you take the combination to a truck scale and weigh the load the individual tow vehicle and trailer axles are carrying.) Get expert help doing this, our experience is many RV dealers have no expertise. Many sell you a one-size-fits-all hitch that is simplest to install, get it installed as quickly as possible, and send you down the road.

The hitch expert most useful to you is yourself. Learn how these things work and how to set them up properly, and use a truck (CAT) scale to verify your adjustments are getting proper w.d. and not overloading any axle.
Good advice!
Old 06-02-2017, 11:50 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
I have towed with a horrible cheap equalizer hitch connected to a dangerous high center of gravity, terrible antiquated solid axle, high maintenance cost 6.7 turbo diesel in a unstable long wheelbase F350 Platinum Supercrew with a unneeded massive payload with great success.We have been in sustained winds of 70mph,over the steepest mountain passes,gone around dangerous curves and cruised thru Montana pulling our 28ft International at a reckless 80mph with a CanAm ATV in the 8ft box and two Hobie Kayaks on the roof rack.We have been in numerous dangrerous situations that required immediate emergency maneuvers. We travel approximate 15-20k per year for the last 7 years and the trailer has never swayed.
I started pulling with a F150 Supercrew and quickly found it was not for us.Traded for a new 2012 F350 6.7 then traded for a new 2015 F350 6.7 and just received our new 2017 F350 6.7.Will not go back to a F150.
When people on this forum tell you that a F150 (or equivalent)is all you need I can tell you from experience there is a tremendous difference in the towing experience going to a Superduty truck with the heavier tongue weight trailers like the 28ft! All these self proclaimed experts on this forum that preach towing while exceeding the manufacturers payload ratings is acceptable if you weld on this or modify that or put on a magic expensive hitch and so on ........ have not ever towed with a vehicle that was specifically built for this type of towing application.Not everyone needs a F250 or F350 its true but some of us do..........Under powered tow vehicles are another story!
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 11:54 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I still feel perfectly comfortable and safe towing a 30' Classic with a Tundra and Equal-i-zer. I'm happy.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote