Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-09-2017, 08:55 AM   #81
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
not to stir the pot....but, RAM and Tundra payload?

OK- I ended up with a new F250 this past week; "binged out" as some have mentioned, is great for sure! King Ranch model has all the nice stuff for sure including massaging seats!

But, main reason I purchased this model was the payload and I am now pulling a new 28' FC we picked up yesterday. I "did" look at the new Tundra (6 speed trany, very low payload (-1300lbs?), and the RAM guys tried to get me up to a RAM 350 to get over 2000lbs payload.

I am sorry, but the Tundra and RAM trucks are all great trucks; just not enough payload capability for a larger AS IMHO.

Note- I did not look at the GM 3/4 T's this go around...maybe next time.
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 03:20 PM   #82
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
My Tundra has 1455# payload. Not much. Still a 1/2 ton truck. Still no plans to trade...
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 07:18 AM   #83
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklyfrank View Post
Your post clearly implies that I am an idiot and a fool.
You must not have grasped the gist of a number of intelligent posts.
While I would debate the choices of equipment based on their suitability and technical merits all day long I would never think of ridiculing someone for choosing a particular TV or Trailer.
Each to his own and whatever floats you boat dude.
Nothing intended, You like fords, I like my ram with lifetime oil changes...and you are correct with the diesels....
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 08:48 AM   #84
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

I'm still looking for the one that comes with "free fuel for life"

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 10:46 AM   #85
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rostam View Post
This is absolutely correct. There was a mechanical engineering technical article cited in a previous thread (it got deleted before I could bookmark the article), that researched the factors involved in stability of pull behind trailers. The relative weight of TV as compared to trailer was a major factor (I believe it was the second most important factor after speed). So, its not just seat of the pants when folks say they feel their trailer is more stable behind an HD truck (which is much heavier than an 1/2 truck). Of course this does not mean we all have to buy an HD truck. It all depends on the weight of the trailer we plan to pull.

Weight is nice until it isn't. What's ignored is the high center of gravity. A heavier pickup will resist being moved by the trailer than a lighter car . . . but the car will spin out still on four wheels where the truck will roll over.

For a given tire contact patch, what's the weight upon it, and what's the vehicle center of gravity height above it?

More weight per square inch is offset by COG height.

Risk increase versus decrease.

As noted, it's the quality of the lash-up.

It should be funny that folks will buy a 60k pickup versus spending an afternoon getting the hitch dialed in on the original vehicle, especially as the "bigger, better" pickup will be just as badly hitched.

Worsened all risks via the one ton, and never addressed the actual issue.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 07:01 PM   #86
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMarshall View Post
We seem to be close cousins.....your TV qualifies as a "big honkin' diesel"....

We can shake hands at the campground some day.

Kent
Houston
The one thing I really appreciate with my "big honking diesel" :-), is that with WD engaged the front axle weighs in at 5,200 lbs. that makes for a real solid steering control. There is no tail waging this dog.

Safe travels and hope to meet up with you one day.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 08:02 PM   #87
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Weight distribution and anti sway equipment?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
Weight is nice until it isn't. What's ignored is the high center of gravity. A heavier pickup will resist being moved by the trailer than a lighter car . . . but the car will spin out still on four wheels where the truck will roll over.

For a given tire contact patch, what's the weight upon it, and what's the vehicle center of gravity height above it?

It should be funny that folks will buy a 60k pickup versus spending an afternoon getting the hitch dialed in on the original vehicle, especially as the "bigger, better" pickup will be just as badly hitched.

Agreed on the high center of gravity. I just moved up to a 30' international (from a 25) and tow with my QX (in the process of driving to Denver from Colonial in NJ).

QX has a 7,500lb Gross vehicle weight, 1,700lb payload, 121in wheelbase, upgraded tires with higher than needed load rating, 400hp and 413lbs of torque. Substantial Class IV hitch welded directly to the frame. Zero flex. I've got about 800lbs on the receiver after WD pushes some weight to the trailer axels (still looking for a CAT scale on hwy 80).

Tows really well - very stable up through 75mph. QX sits almost level (only a 3/4" difference in wheel well height front vs rear), great steering feel (managed to dial my equalizer in with only one adjustment - 2 additional washers for more weight transfer - after colonial's install hitch thanks to extensive experience with my 25')

Passing and getting passed by big rigs is no problem, don't get pushed around too much despite the huge surface area of the 30'. Curved contours of the airstream help to shed some of the cross winds as compared to white box trailers.

People often poo poo using large SUVs for towing bigger airstreams but I'd argue my QX does an equal or better job than most 1/2 ton pickups (has more power and payload capacity than many). Low center of gravity and independent suspension make for great handling and a super comfortable ride.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0139.JPG
Views:	134
Size:	761.6 KB
ID:	287295  
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 12:44 AM   #88
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Vintage Kin Owner
Sonoma Co. , California
At 75 mph anything will roll over when the s**t hits the fan.
USAtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 07:41 AM   #89
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
Now when I pass a pickup truck towing a boat or box trailer, or RV, I look at the hitch. 90% of the time it's just on the ball.
Haven't seen any flip over yet.
You noticed that too?
Ted S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 10:17 AM   #90
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
Now when I pass a pickup truck towing a boat or box trailer, or RV, I look at the hitch. 90% of the time it's just on the ball.
Haven't seen any flip over yet.
You don't get out much, Google travel trailer or pickup truck rollovers. Any size, any shape, they all can go over.

Choose towing equipment that handles well when the crap hits the fan (oversizing the truck is not helpful), and deceases the chance of trailer sway causing a rollover (a quality weight distribution system is helpful).

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 10:42 AM   #91
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
...I completely agree that this whole discussion gets out of control each time it comes up (weekly) ...
Best idea yet. A sway control hitch for forum discussions about hitches, tow vehicles, trailer tires, and so on.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 02:39 PM   #92
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post

Here you go again, making assumptions about folks and spewing nonsense.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 06:45 PM   #93
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
Weight distribution and anti sway equipment?

Quote:
Originally Posted by franklyfrank View Post
Here you go again, making assumptions about folks and spewing nonsense.

Its the same small group of people.Over and over......without a clue
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 03:55 PM   #94
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
Best idea yet. A sway control hitch for forum discussions about hitches, tow vehicles, trailer tires, and so on.
Hi

Maybe just a sub-forum where people can call each other names ...

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 08:17 PM   #95
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

Maybe just a sub-forum where people can call each other names ...

Bob

No name calling.
Its just ridiculous to read comments from the same small group of people with zero product knowledge or working knowledge about today's 3/4 or 1 ton light duty trucks (diesel or gasoline)that continually quote antiquated information from a company that modifies inadequate tow vehicles for a business and profit.
Not everyone on this forum should pull a larger Airstream trailer with a 1/2 to truck or sport utility equivalent nor does everyone on this forum need to pull their Airstream with a 3/4 or 1 ton.They build different light duty trucks for different applications.People come to this forum to learn about tow vehicle selection and are mislead by these people into thinking a 1/2 ton (or equivalent)is a great choice for all applications.It could not be further from the truth.
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 08:51 PM   #96
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
KW , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moflash View Post
No name calling.
Its just ridiculous to read comments from the same small group of people with zero product knowledge or working knowledge about today's 3/4 or 1 ton light duty trucks (diesel or gasoline)that continually quote antiquated information from a company that modifies inadequate tow vehicles for a business and profit.
Not everyone on this forum should pull a larger Airstream trailer with a 1/2 to truck or sport utility equivalent nor does everyone on this forum need to pull their Airstream with a 3/4 or 1 ton.They build different light duty trucks for different applications.People come to this forum to learn about tow vehicle selection and are mislead by these people into thinking a 1/2 ton (or equivalent)is a great choice for all applications.It could not be further from the truth.
What is truth? It seems to me you are just as guilty in distorting it. Why can't people just share their experiences without everyone criticizing everyone else. If you have never tried it then I don't think you have a right to judge.

Every one of these towing questions inevitably leads into this sort of debate and spirals out of control.

For the rest of us we just want to learn from people that have experience and what works for them. I just want to be able to make up my own mind, and not have others try to convince me that their way is the only way thank you very much. So why bash someone of a different opinion?
gator.bigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 10:31 PM   #97
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We get insulted on this forum all the time, consider it a complement and encouragement.

Old 06-13-2017, 02:41 AM   #98
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Vintage Kin Owner
Sonoma Co. , California
I am torn every time I'm tempted to agree with either the light duty vs heavy duty truck faction. On the one hand I know that a 1/2 ton truck with available factory towing options and some relatively inexpensive mods is capable of towing just about any AS trailer....so long as the operator is willing and able to drive his (or her) TV within legal limits and exercises careful, common sense driving habits. Mostly what I see, though, are owners who have succumbed to the false notion that a light duty TV is only driveable if its saddled with expensive (and questionable) aftermarket towing devices.
I also recognize that some owners, either thru inexperience or lesser driving skills, get uncomfortable when they can "feel" that trailer behind them. Their stories are posted here any time the topic comes up; explaining how much safer, capable, and pleasant it is to tow with a HD truck.
By their own admission some of these owners are saying this because they choose to push the margin of reasonable towing practice, such as going way to fast for road and/or weather conditions. From an environmental standpoint, these HD tow vehicles, especially the diesels, are a pollution disaster. New technologies hold the prospect of making these high consuming fossil fueled HD vehicles obsolete, the sooner the better.
USAtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 07:31 AM   #99
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
I don't think the vehicle type is relevant in these discussions. IMO, what matters is whether your TV has the towing/hauling capacity for your trailer. If you are towing a jet ski, then your Camry would be fine. If you are towing a 34 Avion, then a diesel HD is the most suitable TV.

Another factor is how close are you comfortable being to the limit? Some folks are ok with being at the max capacity. Others want reserve capacity and find it more relaxing that way.

Car companies seem to be taking most of the blame for environmental issues. They seem to be an easy target. Nobody talks about the environmental impact of, for example, having Brazilian Coffee in your grocery store offered at such a low price. Or the environmental impact of changing trailers/cars every other year.
rostam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 08:09 AM   #100
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by rostam View Post
. . . If you are towing a 34 Avion, then a diesel HD is the most suitable TV.
What did they tow 34' Avions with when 34' Avions were new? And more relevant to the thread, did they use weight distribution hitches?