Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2020, 07:58 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
Port Coquitlam , British Columbia
Weigh Safe - Weight Distribution Hitch

I am waiting for one of these to arrive and wanted to know if anyone has ventured out to get one of these. If so, what sort of results are you seeing?

It is supposed to make setting up the torsion bars very easy and with the built in tongue scale, and True Tow app, you can always hit the mark with the correct tension.

Is this snake oil or legit?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0513-Edit-2.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	173.3 KB
ID:	369711  
PB_NB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 11:13 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
Looks like my hitch will be in my hands next week.

I guess nobody else has one of these. I think it is relatively new so not too much feedback other than from MrTruck with a somewhat bias review.
Old 06-09-2020, 11:27 AM   #3
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
No...not my cup of tea.The scale gizmo isn't worth the poor anti sway control.

Just buy a Tongue Scale and a quality taper bar hitch.

Square bars equal no flex=possible AS damage.

That design also needs a substantial amount of weight,(that the 22 may not have enough of), on the friction pads to gain enough sway control.
Sway control is important on lighter single axle trailers.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 06-09-2020, 12:16 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
Thanks for the input Bob,

It does seem a bit overkill for a 600 lbs tongue load and a 4,500 lbs trailer. I know that it is easily adjustable with the big nut on top of the head but that really doesn't make the bars more forgiving. They have an app that allows you to adjust this nut to tension the load bars to a desired value using the scale. The desire value is based on several dimensions taken from the TV and the AS axle positions as well as the static tongue weight.

I would expect that the bigger issue is when the AS and TV are travelling on undulating roads. This would cause the the load bars to put a greater force on the trailer frame and TV bumper. Having softer load bars would offer some flex and forgiveness in this type of condition.

I know the friction sway control is light duty in this design. I haven't really gotten into other hitches to look at the different forms of sway control. I had a friction device on my last trailer and it seemed to work fine except for the noise.

What sort of light duty sway control options are out there that actually work?
Old 06-09-2020, 12:26 PM   #5
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
I don't think the added distance from the rear axle to the ball justifies the built in scale.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 12:49 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
Hi Mark, I think the added length of the head unit allows for the tensioning mechanism which is in front of the scale. There is a nut that gets tightened up to achieve a desired load.

It is a bit long compared to other systems. That may apply more torque to the TV bumper which in my case might be problematic.

The nut pulls up on a lever that pivots under the ball and creates the tension in the load bars. This causes the trailer coupler to push down on the ball activating the scale. So now it reading the load applied from the tensioning of the system where as before it was reading just the tongue weight.

Seems like an interesting design. The challenge as Bob mentioned is that the load bars will probably too stiff for my application. And the sway control is not the greatest.

I not too sure about all the engineering that goes on here to make this work or not so I appreciate any feedback.
Old 06-09-2020, 02:58 PM   #7
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
I used dual friction bars on a Reese Straight-line for our '63 Safari single axle, worked very well.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 06-09-2020, 03:55 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
mcdonough , Georgia
I bought one, hooked it all up then immediately boxed it up and sent it back. I didnt even feel comfortable towing with it. First your chains will have to be extended, second you loose length on your electrical cord, third the whole damn hitch head was so loose and wobbly. I will stick with my equalizer which works fine, I wish I would have never ordered it.
ksteve06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 09:03 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksteve06 View Post
I bought one, hooked it all up then immediately boxed it up and sent it back. I didnt even feel comfortable towing with it. First your chains will have to be extended, second you loose length on your electrical cord, third the whole damn hitch head was so loose and wobbly. I will stick with my equalizer which works fine, I wish I would have never ordered it.
Hi Ksteve, were you able to get it dialled in with their TrueTow app? It looks like there are a few measurements that are needed to complete the setup in the app and just wondered if that made sense.

You mentioned that the head was loose and wobbly. Was it still that way after you loaded up the adjuster nut?

What sort of loads were you dealing with from your trailer and what do you have for a TV?

It sounds like they may be trying too hard to make a hitch that does it all!

Thanks for your feedback.

Peter
Old 06-10-2020, 03:38 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
That’s a nice novelty to have and tinker with. Did you notice that the tongue weight will increase when then bars are tensioned? The scale will read the vertical static tongue weight + the force of the WD bars. Just shows how the tongue weight will never change even with WD.
Profxd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 10:32 AM   #11
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
]QUOTE [snip.."Just shows how the tongue weight will never change even with WD."

How would TW ever change?
TW is measured with a level trailer on a scale.
It will never change, weight on the receiver with WD is not TW, yes it will change.

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F23EFC3D-6CE5-4BBC-ACA4-E241E0C4A1F7_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	429.7 KB
ID:	369913   Click image for larger version

Name:	32CBA2AA-F535-4A3F-84C2-67D1D9657404.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	332.8 KB
ID:	369914  

Old 06-10-2020, 04:37 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
mcdonough , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by PB_NB View Post
Hi Ksteve, were you able to get it dialled in with their TrueTow app? It looks like there are a few measurements that are needed to complete the setup in the app and just wondered if that made sense.

You mentioned that the head was loose and wobbly. Was it still that way after you loaded up the adjuster nut?

What sort of loads were you dealing with from your trailer and what do you have for a TV?

It sounds like they may be trying too hard to make a hitch that does it all!

Thanks for your feedback.

Peter

No did not hook up the airstream, as I said the whole system was very loose so did not feel comfortable with it.
ksteve06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 04:55 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by PB_NB View Post
Hi Mark, I think the added length of the head unit allows for the tensioning mechanism which is in front of the scale. There is a nut that gets tightened up to achieve a desired load.

It is a bit long compared to other systems. That may apply more torque to the TV bumper which in my case might be problematic.

The nut pulls up on a lever that pivots under the ball and creates the tension in the load bars. This causes the trailer coupler to push down on the ball activating the scale. So now it reading the load applied from the tensioning of the system where as before it was reading just the tongue weight.

Seems like an interesting design. The challenge as Bob mentioned is that the load bars will probably too stiff for my application. And the sway control is not the greatest.

I not too sure about all the engineering that goes on here to make this work or not so I appreciate any feedback.
From a physics and engineering perspective, the extended length will contribute to sway and handling stability due to yaw inertia.

Bob already mentioned the stiff bars, but for your set-up that is not a major issue. EDIT: Oops Bob is correct, a 22' trailer doent care for that much stiffness, I should be careful contradicting Bob... Consider releasing tension when traversing lateral (side to side) uneven terrain.

Don't worry about vertical torque on the receiver, the net is reduced with this set-up when tension is applied. Twist is an issue as mentioned before.

All in all the weight indicator is nice, and the trade offs may be worth having the weight if you often change up the gear and water tank volumes.

For those readers who want the ideal hitch set-up. You want a stiff receiver mount, no slop or looseness anywhere, short extension from bumper to articulation point (usually the ball but Hensley adds a hiccup in that formula), and a good (not excessive) downward angle on the untensioned tension bars, and tension bars with a good range of flex (a couple inches at least).
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 06:30 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
]QUOTE [snip.."Just shows how the tongue weight will never change even with WD."

How would TW ever change?
TW is measured with a level trailer on a scale.
It will never change, weight on the receiver with WD is not TW, yes it will change.

Bob
🇺🇸
Some believe the WDH magically reduces tongue weight. Of course it doesnt change and its always fully supported by the tow vehicle as well as the scale on the hitch demonstrates.
Profxd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 06:04 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
I guess it depends on ones precise definition of the term "tongue weight". I hope we all agree that the "downward force pushing the tongue onto the ball" increases with tension on the WD bars. Though that is the most common simple definition of tongue weight, it is imprecise because it changes with WD. Tongue weight strictly is force generated by the trailer mass (only) acting on the tongue so as long as the trailer remains on earth, it won't change much. Elevation and grade will have negligible effects on it.

Weight distribution does however change the net load supported by the tow vehicle because WD tension shifts load supported by the rear tow vehicle axle to the trailer and to the front tow vehicle axle. Roughly one third of the WD bar tension is subtracted from the tow vehicle and added to the trailer axles. WD also reduces vertical torque on the receiver hitch.

The hitch scale will read tongue weight initially and it will read the tongue weight plus the portion of WD tension supported by the ball. they have a smart phone app that uses tow vehicle and trailer geometry to calculate weight distribution based on the increase in force on the ball.

Just a bit more about the engineering aspects of this hitch. The concept is great. knowledge of hitch weight every time you tow and precise tensioning each time can be a big advantage. The trade-offs mentioned (longer extension, stiff bars) may well be worth it.
Old 06-11-2020, 06:53 AM   #16
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
^
Until the built-in scale takes a poop and then you are back to ball one.
How long will a scale work when it is constantly scaling down the road...or don't it werk that way, is there a switch?🤔

I have a scale and I use it...but it is not something that I do constantly. I've found that once you learn your rig, and how to load it the TW will not change very much.
Ours has been 1100-1200lb for 17yrs, and a 100lb difference means little with our set-up.

YMMV depending on your choice of equipment.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 06-11-2020, 07:16 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
I'm going to presume based on my engineering experience that the scale uses a hydraulic strain gauge and not a spring so there is no displacement. All of the pressure and force instruments used in my field use electronic strain gauges and are constantly under up to 150,000 lbs of strain for 15 plus years. The electronics often fail but not the diaphragm/strain plate. I'm going to guess it is very reliable.

Your advice on knowing your rig is probably spot on. I have mostly learned not to argue with you Bob....
Old 06-11-2020, 09:09 AM   #18
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
The advantage of only owing two Streams over 43yrs...you lern how to toe 'em safely.😂

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 06-11-2020, 09:40 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Square bars equal no flex=possible AS damage.
The square bars are a copy of the "Equalizer" hitch, and there's thousands of them on Airstreams. Including mine. I assure you, they flex.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane View Post
I don't think the added distance from the rear axle to the ball justifies the built in scale.
I agree.
I agonized about moving the shank 2" back!
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 09:56 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
Hi Brian, the scale is in a closed hydraulic system much like the functionality of the Sherline but no way to refill the Weigh Safe system. I have a bumper hitch of theirs that I have had for about 6 months. It seems to be more accurate as the weight on the ball and internal piston go up. Not so useful at around 100 lbs. which they even say on their literature. I just lube up the ball and pins, usually where their are slip connections.

When I saw their WD system, I thought it looked interesting and since I haven't used one before, I hadn't formed any bias's toward any one product. The need to get a WD system prompted me to order one (yet to receive it).

With all the feedback, I am really concerned about this one working. I think the bars might be too stiff knowing that they only seem to carry one size of bar, these could end being much stiffer, to support bigger rig applications. I may be able to get some more forgiving bars, based on the shipped bars, and then working towards a more compliant material to fit the lower forces that my rig will apply to the system. I have reached out the Weigh-Safe to find out what weight rating the bars are designed for.

ksteve06 had commented that the whole system was loose and lacked the confidence to continue with it.

In some of the comments, it seems that the sway control might not be very good. I have looked at the Equalizer brand and theirs looks to be similar with little friction points. The WD system that have chains to connect to the trailer must have some other sway methods other than friction or perhaps these ones don't have sway control. The Blue Ox looks like it has some sway control worked out in the head which seems simple and efficient.

I see some hitches use dampeners for sway control which would be much quieter and probably much smoother.

I looked at the ProPride and I really couldn't make sense of what they were doing with all the parts. It sounds like a fantastic hitch as I am sure the Hensley is as well.