Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2024, 10:55 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2018 28' Flying Cloud
Northern VA , Virginia
Weigh-in Discrepancy

Hello All,

More than just curious about the following weight discrepancy. Does this sound familiar to anyone and what are your thoughts?

Brochure states Unit Base Weight (with LP & Batteries) = 5,979 lbs.

Weigh Station (actual weight when hitched to TV /w WD) reports 5,760 lbs.

Is the WD taking some of the weight from what the brochure states (of course I think maybe the brochure is also just a general number and can’t account for all the options)? There is a 219 lb. difference, which got me scratching my head again.

Maybe this will be one of those unsolved mysteries lol.

Any thoughts or experience regarding this is appreciated.
picketoaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2024, 11:07 AM   #2
19’ Bambi Flying Cloud

2017 19' Flying Cloud
Airstream Coach - Other
Husqvarnia , Husqvarnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by picketoaks View Post
Hello All,

More than just curious about the following weight discrepancy. Does this sound familiar to anyone and what are your thoughts?

Brochure states Unit Base Weight (with LP & Batteries) = 5,979 lbs.

Weigh Station (actual weight when hitched to TV /w WD) reports 5,760 lbs.

Is the WD taking some of the weight from what the brochure states (of course I think maybe the brochure is also just a general number and can’t account for all the options)? There is a 219 lb. difference, which got me scratching my head again.

Maybe this will be one of those unsolved mysteries lol.

Any thoughts or experience regarding this is appreciated.

It’s not clear to me how you took your measurements and isolated the weight of the trailer?

But if you are reporting the scaled weight taken at the trailer’s axles while still hitched up to the tow vehicle, then you need to add the tongue weight back in to the trailer weight. Likely you are 500-900 pounds over the unit base weight, not under it.
Old 06-13-2024, 12:59 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2018 28' Flying Cloud
Northern VA , Virginia
Doing the math

Thanks for suggesting adding tongue weight back in. I took an earlier reading of this using a new e-Trailer tongue weight scale and got about 975 lbs. So, if I do the math below it is close and now makes a bit more sense to me.
---------------
If I take the combined weight of truck and trailer (hitched) and subtract the truck weight (solo) I would get the “loaded trailer weight”: 15,740 – 8,978 = 6,762.

Then if I take the loaded trailer weight and subtract the trailer weight (wt. at axle) then I would get the tongue weight: 6,762 – 5,760 = 1002.

If 15% of the loaded trailer weight is about 1,014 and the tongue weight checks out, then I may be good. That is, I hope this is correct.
Old 06-13-2024, 01:19 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2024 25' Trade Wind
Seattle , Washington
Some additional notes. The brochure weight is a fantasy. I've not yet seen a travel trailer with an out the factory weight that was equal to or less than the brochure weight. Check your payload stickers on the front street side of the trailer and you'll see the actual base weight.

Additionally, base weight from the factory does not include water or of course any other gear or add ons from the dealer. If your dealer put water in the fresh tank (like ours did), then you would need to dump it (you won't get it all, but probably enough to get close) to see if your payload sticker is accurate. And even then, unless your Airstream came with batteries from the factory, there is some question about the assumptions made in including the battery weight.

As BikeCamper already noted, weighing your axles while hitched is very different than your actual trailer weight. Some of your trailer weight will be picked up by the TV axles. If you have a Weight Distribution hitch, how much weight you are distributing will further muddy the water. So for instance, without WD bars you may have, say 975 lbs of tongue weight that is pushing down on the rear axle of your trailer. As you add tension, some of that weight (through leverage) gets moved to the front axles of your TV and axles of your trailer. How much depends on how much WD you apply, the configuration of your setup, even the angle of the slope you are on at any given point of time.

In order to truly weigh your trailer, what you need is you weigh your truck and trailer together, and your truck without your trailer (with the same load otherwise). Subtract the truck from the trailer and voila. Either that or weight your trailer unhitched (which you usually need a private weigh facility for so you are not creating a line up behind you).
hikingcamera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2024, 01:40 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2018 28' Flying Cloud
Northern VA , Virginia
Thanks for the insight. I did do the equation above using the numbers I got at the DMV I95 weigh station.