Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-17-2010, 04:57 PM   #21
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Exclamation Question:

Are you SURE that your municipality will allow this?

Many won't.

I mean by that, while lots of places will allow you to store the trailer in your yard, they may feel that having someone living in it? Different kettle of fish.

Worth checking B4 you move it in...
Old 02-17-2010, 11:33 PM   #22
1 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
Oakland , California
@Ganaraska - you have a point, and I appreciate being reminded of that perspective. I have looked at a bunch of other trailers, even old Winnebago RVs. They are plentiful and cheap, and probably easier to customize, but nowhere near as pleasing to look at or be in, nor would they retain any sort of resale value. If I'm going to buy something to live in and be around constantly while at home, it ought to be beautiful and classy, wouldn't you agree? I would think those qualities a big part of the appeal for many, no matter how they use their trailers.

@Aage, I looked into the municipal code for my city. Technically, no you can't have someone permanently living in a trailer parked in your yard. But then again I live in Oakland in a pretty industrial part of town, where there are many RVs and even some unattached trailers parked around on public streets with people permanently living out of them. Most of them move around every once in a while but some seem to sit in the same place all the time and the city doesn't do much about it.

My yard has a 10' tall steel fence around it, and we have practically no neighbors, so I see it as highly unlikely there would be an issue. In this part of town the authorities are unlikely to bother with something like that unless they got persistent complaints about it. If for some reason the city did come to me with a complaint I could probably make the case that it was a guest bedroom or a restoration in progress, which is technically legal.
velo-hobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 12:07 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Velo-Hobo
IMHO like several others. This is NOT at good idea.GO Buy a SOB that has no particular value to anyone but you and leave the AS's on the road.
If ya tear up an old SOB nobody cares.But just to park a perfectly good airstream in your yard to never be moved again is a SIN.
AGAIN just my opinion
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 12:37 AM   #24
1 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
Oakland , California
I understand the perspective of wanting to keep more airstreams on the road, but I think I haven't been clear about where I'm coming from. Honestly, the ones that are in my price range aren't going anywhere at the moment and haven't been for a while. I'm looking for something that's already gutted or in poor shape so I can refurbish it and it customize it for my intended use - it would be foolish and wasteful on my behalf to shell out for something that is road-ready and then park it or tear it all up for a remodel.
Old 02-18-2010, 06:34 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

1971 21' Globetrotter
1963 19' Globetrotter
Punxsutawney , Pennsylvania
Velo-hobo: I can see your point in wanting an Airstream for the job. I use one (a 1963) as a "camp" out on my property in the woods. Mine is licensed and ready to go, but mostly it just sits there. In our local area, a 1950's Flying Cloud was just put back on the road after sitting 20 years as an extra bedroom like you intend to do. An SOB probably would not have been worth resurrecting. So don't worry about "taking one off the road"! Somehow, an Airstream just looks better too! The 1963 I bought and put out in the woods was a messed up "field find" that had some serious rot issues. I restored it back to useable condition. I very much enjoy this trailer, out in the woods, and also on an occasional trip. In 2007, I used it to travel from Pennsylvania to Fort Wilderness for our trip to Disney. It was winter, and I didn't want to mess up my better Airstream. I keep it licensed not just so I could use it, but so somebody won't accuse me as using it as a permanent building. (In PA that costs $6 a year). Do it! You'll be glad you did!

Punxsy GT
mweimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 08:11 AM   #26
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
Velo I appreciate your position. My suggestion was just a suggestion. If an Airstream will make you happy by all means buy the Airstream. As someone else pointed out, in 20 years someone may bless you for keeping one in good shape.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:55 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Excella 500
charlottesville , Virginia
Great source of information, just posting a comment so I can return and find this thread, it is very useful to me. thanks!
jimmieanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:18 PM   #28
1 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
Oakland , California
My goodness I don't think I ever expected to see anymore activity on this thread! I did end up getting a 1973 Tradewind, which was more or less road-worthy and liveable but in serious need of internal refurbishment.

I ended up using my little Nissan to shove it around in the yard until I got it into an acceptable parking position. The truck was certainly at its limits - there is no way I would take the AS out on the road with that thing but it handled the yard maneuvering just fine (although the suspension was nearly bottomed out and the drive train was put to the test!).

Fortunately I had incredible spotter assistance in the form of a friend who happened to drop by for dinner that day. He had tons of experience backing and positioning boat trailers with his family, which was a huge help.

So I did just end up using a vehicle (although not a proper tow vehicle), as it turns out it there was just enough room to make the last move and get the trailer in a nice spot.

I've been comfortably living in it for the last 2 1/2 years, and everyone who comes over has nice things to say about it!
Old 12-16-2012, 07:33 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Allen , Texas
I recently purchased a Front Hitch made specifically for my Nissan Titan from Etrailer. Now I also have a a adjustable ball mount with 11" extension from camping world(best price 54.00) now the kicker is I have a blind parking area in my yard, and I've had some neck surgery, which makes backing up a real struggle even with a spotter.
So my solution should now become a little clearer. By using the front hitch and extension I have enough height not to drag the ground while PUSHING my 25' AS into my back yard. No more blind spot. I've looked all over this web site looking for someone else to have done it before me. No such luck. But now no more straining, no more blind spot, and so much more maneuverable. Pictures to follow soon.
David Logue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 11:15 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Many dealers use a farm tractor with a ball mounted on the liftable drawbar.
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 11:37 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I would like to find a front hitch for my 2012 F150 SCREW Ecoboost. Unfortunately no one seems to make one that will fit. The Ecoboost model is set up a bit different in the bumper area with different coolers, etc for the turbos and transmission. From talking to a couple of the main manufactures of hitches they attach to the mounting points for the tow hooks. Problem is the Ecoboost models do not have front tow hooks.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 03:54 PM   #32
4 Rivet Member

1974 29' Ambassador
Ruston , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganaraska View Post
Velo I appreciate your position. My suggestion was just a suggestion. If an Airstream will make you happy by all means buy the Airstream. As someone else pointed out, in 20 years someone may bless you for keeping one in good shape.
Beats the crap out of using one as a deer camp. Craigslist is full of "make a great deer camp" airstream deals around here. We rescued ours from that life and are enjoying putting it back on the road.
mgriffrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:34 AM   #33
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Allen , Texas
NetZero Message Center

Final installation

NetZero Message Center

Let's see if the pictures turned out. I'm doing this from my iPad .
Old 12-19-2012, 02:02 PM   #34
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
rockwall , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
I would like to find a front hitch for my 2012 F150 SCREW Ecoboost. Unfortunately no one seems to make one that will fit. The Ecoboost model is set up a bit different in the bumper area with different coolers, etc for the turbos and transmission. From talking to a couple of the main manufactures of hitches they attach to the mounting points for the tow hooks. Problem is the Ecoboost models do not have front tow hooks.
I have a 2012F 150 SCREW Ecoboost 4x4, and it has tow hooks. I'm interested in the front mount hitch. Who are the manufacturers of these hitches?
Ramble On is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 03:41 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
etrailer has them listed for without Ecoboost AND WITH Ecoboost.
Front Mount Trailer Hitch for 2012 Ford F-150 | etrailer.com
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:24 PM   #36
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Allen , Texas

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1757302408.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	693.3 KB
ID:	174895
Old 12-20-2012, 05:07 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazbro View Post
etrailer has them listed for without Ecoboost AND WITH Ecoboost.
Front Mount Trailer Hitch for 2012 Ford F-150 | etrailer.com
Thank you, that is a very recent listing. I am calling them today to confirm and order.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 12-20-2012, 07:29 AM   #38
3 Rivet Member

1980 31' Excella II
Ocean View , Delaware
Great thread! Subscribe.
Disneysue925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:17 AM   #39
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Thank you, that is a very recent listing. I am calling them today to confirm and order.
You're welcome, it doesn't say when they listed it but, I always check etrailer when I'm looking for that type of product and have bought from them a few times.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:12 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazbro View Post
You're welcome, it doesn't say when they listed it but, I always check etrailer when I'm looking for that type of product and have bought from them a few times.
The last time I looked was about a month ago and no one had them at that time. Also spoke to a couple of the manufacturers and they were not shipping them out (still under development). I found it at Hitchshops.com. for $30 cheaper and free delivery. Placed my order with them and it should be delivered by end of next week. The front hitch hopefully will make it easier for me to get my little trailer in the back yard where I would like to park it.