Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2019, 12:06 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
Belen , New Mexico
Wanted: Feedback on towing setup...

I took this picture in the parking lot of Home Depot after setting the hitch up. It seemed to tow well, but I'd like some feedback on my thought processes here for verification.

The hitch is a ProPride hitch (1400#). Classic 30' (2019) weighs in at ~9300lb

I originally set it up to level the truck and the trailer. The problem I have is that the load in the truck bed varies wildly. On some trips, the bed is empty and others it may be full. This truck sees the full load range. If the truck squats under the full load, the trailer leans forward and if it's empty, but set for the full load, it tips up.

My solution was to put self-leveling air bags on the truck so the truck bed height is always the same, loaded or unloaded.

To set the trailer up, I leveled the trailer frame (on level ground) using a tape measure (front and back, bottom of frame measurements) The frames sits at 16". The truck hitch also sits at 16" (bottom of hitch) with no load on the truck. I then set the 3P hitch to keep the the truck/trailer level while hitching up.

I then measured the distance from the top of the front fender to the ground with no load (34.5"). When the trailer is hitched up, I raise the jack, the truck squats until the air bags level it (Which comes out to 48psi). This, of course, raises the front fender. I then crank the load bars until the front fender is back at 34.5" which is what you see in the picture.

Everything is within 1/2" of the unhitched-no-load measurements but you can see that there is a pretty good bow on the weight bars. The load jacks are sitting at just over 7" of lift.

My thinking is that when I load the truck without the trailer, the rear axle pretty much takes the entirety of the load. This setup should simulate that arrangement and keep the front axle firmly plated on the ground for steering.

It pulls pretty good going down the road. Any thoughts or ideas? Anything that can be done better?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	img_0073.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	340806  
Ephraim is offline   Reply With Quote