Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 08-29-2015, 06:05 AM   #201
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
We installed a 6 ohm 50 watt resistors on each turn signal leg to ground. That helped the Mercedes not pulsate the Prodigy RF brake system in time with the turn signal and also removed the flicker of the LED lights.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
Old 08-30-2015, 07:23 PM   #202
worried...happy...wo...ha

2015 25' FB International
Menlo Park , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacPDX View Post
I was in Kodachrome Basin State Park this past June and saw a couple of Airstreams. One was being towed by a Cayenne. The setup looked well sorted out. I saw when they were pulling in and never for a second thought, "that's stupid and unsafe". Actually, it looked like a great combination.

I only worry about a setup when I see someone yanking a trailer down the highway at 75 MPH plus and the trailer is dancing around behind the TV. I make sure and give them plenty of distance. Doesn't matter to me whether they are towing with a SmartCar or F450.
Hi MaxPDX. First time we were spotted! Kodachrome is our favorite hangout and we will be back in October

We are towing a 25ft FB International with a 2014 Cayenne Diesel. Eazylift modified bt CanAm and fortified hitch receiver. We also reduced the airstream's tongue weight by ditching the batteries and replacing them with Li-ions located more centrally in the trailer. No spare either. We load the SUV lightly (just 2 people and 2 dogs) and if one would count beans, we are actually within specs.

We also towed the same trailer with an F150. The Cayenne setup is more responsive, has better acceleration, better brakes, and better handling in downhill curves.

We usually do long hauls (2-3K miles in 2 weeks), 3-4x per year. The Cayenne has no issues over long grades up or down. The only time we were re-thinking our setup was when our dealer refused to hitch up the trailer because the ratings did not match. Well, I am also perfectly able to hitch up myself ;-) We still seriously looked at alternatives, considered many factors including safety, and decided that the Cayenne is simply the best solution for us. Not considering a freak accident and a lack of common sense, we are absolutely confident that our choice of TV is the best fit for our situation.
Old 09-02-2015, 07:02 PM   #203

Palm Springs , California
We are going to be towing a 25 ft airstream with a 2014 toureg tdi.
Which hitch is the best??
Thanks
Old 09-02-2015, 07:56 PM   #204
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Land Of Enchantment , New Mexico
Bottom line is, follow directions. Look at the weights, don’t exceed them. If the manufacturer says xxx is the limit, don’t rationalize it out and say they’re fudging the numbers... (the insurance company & the “authorities” darn sure won’t).

Just because you love the gas mileage and the looks and the coolness of it all, face facts and reality - sometimes, using a truck to tow 8,000 lbs and 25+ feet is the right thing to do! It’s more than just getting the trailer to move forward, it’s about braking and hills n’ dales and stopping. It’s about going up a mountain and down without burning something up. The tail shouldn’t wag the dog! Doesn’t matter if the Germans, Swedes, Japanese, Americans, or Koreans make the vehicle... this country and it geography/topography is different. You don’t see farmers/ranchers towing bales of hay or horses with a VW, Porsche or a Mercedes...

Why argue? Who cares? Drive what you want to drive. If you tow the last mile and suffer no significant problems then you’ve had a successful RV lifestyle. This isn’t a p*ssing contest of right and wrong... it’s about the consequences of your decisions.
The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Old 09-02-2015, 08:09 PM   #205
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Well, that puts all the towing cliche's in one post, so it's all covered. Let's get back on topic.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
Old 09-02-2015, 08:15 PM   #206
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Land Of Enchantment , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Well, that puts all the towing cliche's in one post, so it's all covered. Let's get back on topic.
That is the topic. Just because it doesn’t agree with your reasoning doesn’t make it a cliche. But I do understand your effort to discount it.
The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Old 09-02-2015, 08:23 PM   #207
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxon View Post
Bottom line is, follow directions. Look at the weights, don’t exceed them. If the manufacturer says xxx is the limit, don’t rationalize it out and say they’re fudging the numbers...

Just because you love the gas mileage and the looks and the coolness of it all, face facts and reality - sometimes, using a truck to tow 8,000 lbs and 25+ feet is the right thing to do! .

These sound like very good common sense advice. Nothing cliche about it.
Old 09-02-2015, 08:43 PM   #208
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxon View Post
That is the topic. Just because it doesn’t agree with your reasoning doesn’t make it a cliche. But I do understand your effort to discount it.
Actually, I believe this was the topic, as started by the OP:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tino643 View Post
Almost 12000 km with my new VW Touareg Diesel and my 30 feet Airstream. It is a dream to tow....
But I agree with your posted comment: "Why argue?"

Jeff
Old 09-02-2015, 08:45 PM   #209
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mission , Texas
VW Touareg diesel and 31 foot Airstream

And now to the next round of debates about it is or is not necessary to follow factory recommendations and why ...
Maybe this subject is like religion and politics at the family reunion.
Just for fun go back and read the first post ...
Old 09-02-2015, 08:52 PM   #210
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Let's not have the debate again. Let's just learn something about Touaregs and Airstreams. Let it go guys, kindly go to a truck thread, we've heard enough of the cliche's.

Old 09-02-2015, 08:55 PM   #211
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Kuna , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Let's not have the debate again. Let's just learn something about Touaregs and Airstreams. Let it go guys, kindly go to a truck thread, we've heard enough of the cliche's.
Rude. The OP asking for opinions on the internet???????? Don't ask the question if you can't stand the answer............or it's not the answer you want. Geesh.
Old 09-02-2015, 08:57 PM   #212
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mission , Texas
See that's the initial point ...
Nobody ever said no SUVs ever.
Old 09-02-2015, 10:35 PM   #213
Rivet Master

Mountain View , California
I would consider ProPride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflipping View Post
We are going to be towing a 25 ft airstream with a 2014 toureg tdi.
Which hitch is the best??
Thanks
Old 09-02-2015, 10:37 PM   #214
Rivet Master

Mountain View , California
OP did not ask for opinions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyncloud View Post
Rude. The OP asking for opinions on the internet???????? Don't ask the question if you can't stand the answer............or it's not the answer you want. Geesh.
Old 09-03-2015, 05:27 AM   #215
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tino643 View Post
... A got a new hitch is the Husky centerline. A add before the propride. A good system but heavy pricy and archaic! Whit my centerline, I don't have any sway at all!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bono View Post
I would consider ProPride.
OP clearly stated that ProPriode is a good system, but heavy, pricey and archaic. He is using a Husky Centerline.

And I thought the "rules" state that OP's opinion was final and not debatable in this thread.
Old 09-03-2015, 09:32 AM   #216
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by rostam View Post
OP clearly stated that ProPriode is a good system, but heavy, pricey and archaic. He is using a Husky Centerline.

And I thought the "rules" state that OP's opinion was final and not debatable in this thread.
Bono was obviously responding to the question asked in post 218.
Old 09-03-2015, 07:02 PM   #217
It's Porsh-Ah

Boston , Massachusetts
Since I have been closet following this thread since I posted way back when, I would ask any one with a reinforced hitch to post a picture, I am writing this only to help people understand a little about what is going on back there, I will preface this by saying that I know most manufacturers skimp on their factory tow hitches, it's one of the first upgrades if your going to tow heavy, and this is because aftermarket weight distribution, anti-sway etc put a great deal of strain on a vehicle over long distances. But out of curiosity I looked up a picture of a reinforced cayenne/taurege hutch and found the accompanying picture. This could pose a problem. Hitches are fastened to the solid unsprung frame of a full frame vehicle, or the unit body of a unit body vehicle. In the picture this reinforcement is welded (maybe can't tell) to that very beefy looking sub frame assembly that holds the rear differential and acts as the fastening points for the rear suspension. It all seems good until you know about the vehicles and understand that the hitch is solidly bolted to the body, however the reinforcement is welded to a floating sub frame assembly. The sub frames on cayenne's and nearly every other unit body vehicle are floating assembly's with rubber bushings isolating road vibration. They move, plain and simple. The body acts as the frame, the suspension is attached to the sub frames at either end. A common repair for me is to lower the sub frame and replace bent sub frame bolts after a nasty impact with a pot hole. I use a jig that lines the sub frame up with the factory assembly line holes to reposition it. The sub frames are not rigidly mounted to the body, most Porsche's are split between solid rubber mounts, and hydraulic (think silicone filled) mounts depending on whether it's a cheap V6 or a Turbo. I'm trying to say that the component being used to reinforce the hitch isn't reinforcing anything, under extreme flex, it may transmit some force to the body, but your flexing the rear of the body shell likely. The point of this is just to let people know there is more to a vehicle than what the Web says. 
Name:   uploadfromtaptalk1441328516252.jpg
Views: 384
Size:  7.6 KB
Old 09-03-2015, 07:29 PM   #218
Rivet Master

1994 34' Excella
Warren , Manitoba
Following this with interest. Have a 2009 Touareg gas, but if was a diesel would not be afraid to pull a 30' with it. Pull my 34' with a Duramax. Both vehicles weigh about the same, but the Touareg has far superior brakes. Use a Husky Centerline on the Duramax and love it. Head unit is heavy, but have pulled in some horrible winds with no problem. The combination of diesel Touareg and Husky Centerline will be a great combination. If I had a diesel in the VW would try to pull the 34!!! Chris
ACI #7394
2012 GMC 2500 HD Duramax Denali
1994 Excella 34'
1987 Limited 34', 1976 31', 1976 Argosy 22' Gone to new homes
Hensley Hitch
Old 09-03-2015, 07:35 PM   #219
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franswa View Post
Since I have been closet following this thread since I posted way back when, I would ask any one with a reinforced hitch to post a picture, I am writing this only to help people understand a little about what is going on back there, I will preface this by saying that I know most manufacturers skimp on their factory tow hitches, it's one of the first upgrades if your going to tow heavy, and this is because aftermarket weight distribution, anti-sway etc put a great deal of strain on a vehicle over long distances. But out of curiosity I looked up a picture of a reinforced cayenne/taurege hutch and found the accompanying picture. This could pose a problem. Hitches are fastened to the solid unsprung frame of a full frame vehicle, or the unit body of a unit body vehicle. In the picture this reinforcement is welded (maybe can't tell) to that very beefy looking sub frame assembly that holds the rear differential and acts as the fastening points for the rear suspension. It all seems good until you know about the vehicles and understand that the hitch is solidly bolted to the body, however the reinforcement is welded to a floating sub frame assembly. The sub frames on cayenne's and nearly every other unit body vehicle are floating assembly's with rubber bushings isolating road vibration. They move, plain and simple. The body acts as the frame, the suspension is attached to the sub frames at either end. A common repair for me is to lower the sub frame and replace bent sub frame bolts after a nasty impact with a pot hole. I use a jig that lines the sub frame up with the factory assembly line holes to reposition it. The sub frames are not rigidly mounted to the body, most Porsche's are split between solid rubber mounts, and hydraulic (think silicone filled) mounts depending on whether it's a cheap V6 or a Turbo. I'm trying to say that the component being used to reinforce the hitch isn't reinforcing anything, under extreme flex, it may transmit some force to the body, but your flexing the rear of the body shell likely. The point of this is just to let people know there is more to a vehicle than what the Web says. Attachment 247230

Thanks for the informative post.
Old 09-03-2015, 08:40 PM   #220
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
The Touareg hitch reinforcement is working well, according to Can-Am. They have set up 210 Touaregs when I asked them about it last month, and consider it one of the top Airstream tow vehicles, second to an Audi Q7.

Closed Thread