Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-13-2009, 12:29 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
Beavercreek , Ohio
vintage vs. modern towing

I am trying to decide vintage or modern. Many factors to consider- including sleeping arrangements for a family of 5.

Can some one who has actually towed both describe the difference between towing a vintage 31' and a modern wide body 27' (or there-abouts.)

Thanks
pilgrimjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 01:17 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
I have a 28' 1968 Ambassador and I have towed my friends 28' 2004 safari. I tow with a new 2008 Sequoia with the big motor and tow package. To be honest I really didn't notice the 2000 lb difference that much, it was a little more effort up the hills but not much. I could still pull either on up the mountains faster than I want to. We live in Colorado.

It's going to come down to you Tow Veichle and your hitch set up. like I said, The difference was not that great but I could tell there was more weight with the newer one.

Now the wide body I would have to get extended mirrors for as it was hard to see around.
With my trailer I can see around. Also I found it easier to back up my trailer as I could see more.

As for sleeping 5, If your kids are young they can share a bed. Our friends front coach folded into a bed and so did the dinette. They have a queen in the back.

The nice thing about the older trailers is: you don't feel as bad tearing out the inside. I am in the process or redoing ours. I took out the 2 twin beds in the mid section and put bunks in for the kids on one side and a small dinette on the other that will go down into a twin bed. The coach in the front folds down into a queen. So we can get five if needed.

I will come down to time and money. It's tough to find an old trailer in good shape and if you do the decor is old and dated. Though some like it.....

So then it comes down to a remodel. If you buy vintage make sure the frame, axels, and floor are in good shape as this will save you time.

The new ones will cost you and be tight for sleeping 5 but then you don't have to do anything to them...

Good luck

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 04:17 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by purman View Post
I have a 28' 1968 Ambassador and I have towed my friends 28' 2004 safari. To be honest I really didn't notice the 2000 lb difference that much, it was a little more effort up the hills but not much.
I have heard this said a number of times before.
When it comes to towing Airstreams and assuming the connection is optimal, that a little extra weight is not a big deal and hardly noticed.
Old 05-13-2009, 06:11 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
That is seems to be the story Road Ruler. But it would depend on your TV as well. I could be towing with an older sequoia and I wouldn't want to tow my friend AS with the smaller motor and less torque. It would probably be fine for mine but push the limits of the older version.

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote