Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-18-2017, 05:25 PM   #41
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2015 Interstate Grand Tour
kirkwood , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_Rox View Post
I just checked out your website, nice! You guys are living the dream.
Thanks Dan!! We're going into year 3 and still loving it!
epicdetour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 05:53 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibbs View Post
I don't understand why so many people use pickup trucks? A van makes much more sense! Room to spare! I like the window van because you can see so much more around you.
We have some in our pool vehicle fleet. They are great vehicles but I guess I'm still young enough that looks kinda matter, and I can't get past the looks of any van. Ironically if I was forced (and it would literally have to be at gunpoint) to drive a van it would be the NV3500. They are nice looking. I just can't get past that weird rear end on the GMC.
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 08:05 AM   #43
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1973 21' Globetrotter
1975 26' Argosy 26
Vista , California
That's funny! I like the look of a van, you don't see the back when you are towing anyway, and I think it is more aerodynamic than a PU when hooked up to a trailer. Oh and all that easily accessible room in there too. To each his own?
bibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 11:40 AM   #44
Rivet Polisher

1973 31' Sovereign
Mt Pleasant , North Carolina
I finally got around to added E-Track to our van so I can strap down our toys for trips. We have comfortable seating for 4 adults and 6'x8'x5' of space to haul whatever tickles our fancy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180505_150450.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	270.2 KB
ID:	310274  
wildhorses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 10:55 AM   #45
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
That looks great. Was just looking at Check Vans on their website.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 11:56 AM   #46
3 Rivet Member

2016 23' International
1991 29' Excella
Chesapeake , Virginia
Paula
Try looking at 2007-2013 crewmax
used. 2 wheel drive. Rides smooth,easy access to cab.
Get a top.
Beat that thing like a rented mule.
It can handle your Eddie.
Cheap and comfortable.
Regards
Tom
Muriel 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 06:37 AM   #47
4 Rivet Member

1999 28' Excella
Lake Mary , Florida
Van TV

I tow with my GMC Savana van, it is the perfect tow vehicle. No climbing in and out of a pickup bed to find something that will be wet or covered with dirt. Lots of interior room. Room to keep your good clothes and valuables

The Savana and Express 2500 vans will pull most RV's, and you can order after market seats, ceiling and wall coverings from van conversion company (or have them install) to get the feel of a luxury car and not a work truck. Just be careful if you buy a full conversion van, as a complete custom interior can add lots of weight.
suncoasteng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 02:49 PM   #48
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
In response to a PM request for info on our Ford Transit 350 van, we have been happy with it towing the FC20, but have not really done much camping over the last year, due to health issues and family commitments. Hoping to do more camping this year!

Feel free to ask questions, and I will reply in the next day or two.

Happy Trails!

Peter

[click on orange arrows in quotes to go to these earlier posts]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Echoing earlier comments, towing with a van is great. Tons of storage for coolers, camping and road gear, and back-up sleeping. Freedom to wander to remote areas with the AS parked safely somewhere.

The new Ford Transit 350 vans still have some pretty decent tow ratings FYI.

http://www.fleet.ford.com/resources/...de_r5_Mar3.pdf

Check the Airstream on PDF p. 2/39, and Transit ratings on p. 27. We recently got a 2017 Transit 350 with the 3.5 EcoBoost engine, and it handles our FC20 just fine [max weight of 5,000]. 3.73 rear end, and GCWR of 12,600, yields max trailer weight of 7,100 with the low roof 130" WB. Thus a slightly larger AS would work too.

Nothing like our old Econoline Club Wagon 350, however, nor the E-250 before that.

As someone said, compromises . . . this niche works for us . . .

Cheers,

Peter
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
No I did not do that, as the nearest scales are quite far away.

On the registration the weight is 4781. We added a bench seat, so I am guessing the total with driver and gas is going to be at least 5500. The van's GVWR is 9500, and GCWR (as stated earlier) is 12600.

I want to do a full weigh-in with and without the trailer eventually, at which point the axle ratings will come into play, depending on load distribution in the van. With the FC20 maxing out at 5000, there is some room for tools, camping and road gear, a small Yamaha tri-fuel 1000 generator, and so forth. At least a comfortable margin of error I hope. When I get to this stage of gearing up for serious towing, the additional numbers you suggest will get filled in. I have relied on Ford's representations about the overall towing capacity for now. [and our previous Transit's performance, see below]

The Transit tows the FC20 very well, as did our 2015 Transit which got totaled in a rear-end collision last fall.

For larger Airstreams the new Transit is probably not the right tow vehicle. For us, however, the combined rig is very comfortable, in a KISS solution after downsizing from a 25' years ago. Even a 23FB would probably work IMO.

Cheers,

Peter
. . .
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 01:55 PM   #49
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Full size van is the way to go.
Switched from a 2500 Suburban 8.1L gasser to an E-350 7.3 turbo diesel and love it.

We were really fortunate to have found one. V10 and 7.3PSD Econolines are rare. 5.4L gasser is gutless for towing the heavies. Stay away from any of the earlier Ford 6.0L diesels- very problematic.

Ours is a 15 passenger so it's got the extended body. Extra distance between the drive axle and hitch point isn't a problem using a Hensley. Also, upgraded the hitch receiver with one that has longer attachment arms improves the weight distribution.

I take the very rear bench out for tons of cargo space. Still leaves plenty of roomy passenger seating.

Couple of Yakima roof bars up top and we can haul bikes or even four full sized kayaks.

The turbo diesel rocks. Not nearly as susceptible to altitude sickness like a normally aspirated gasser (no matter how much displacement).

I've gotten almost 12mpg fully loaded- that's around 17.5k pounds. Was lucky to get 6mpg with the Chevy. If I keep it under 70, I can get 20mpg highway unhitched.

They're definitely rare, but keep your eyes peeled. Might get lucky. I just checked out a really nice 2010 that had the V10, 4.10 rear and sliding door (much better than the barn doors IMO). Dealer knew he had something and priced it that way, unfortunately.

Go figure on the Transits with no tow capacity. Little bird told me Ford's correcting that with upcoming model.
Old 03-29-2019, 05:40 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibbs View Post
I don't understand why so many people use pickup trucks? A van makes much more sense! Room to spare! I like the window van because you can see so much more around you.
Vans generally don’t have 4WD. They are horrible on ice and snow. So someone like me in WI where we get snow and ice it would be miserable trying to drive a rear wheel van around. I think for those that live outside the snow belt a Van makes quite a bit of sense though.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 05:52 PM   #51
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Hendersonville , North Carolina
Vans and ice/snow

I have owned 3 vans. 1976 & 1984 GMC Rallye STX's, and currently own and tow with a 2013 Ford E150 XLT Premium van with max tow package including a 3.73 Limited slip Diff. The past 2 Decembers we had snow events in the 12"/15" range in Hendersonville, N.C. I was pulling cars up the hill we live on with my van. Even helped a couple of mid sized pickup trucks get up the hill. Never had a problem in the snow. The first 2 vans I owned in Cincinnati, Ohio and drove through many, many large snow events. I think it may have more to do with the driver than the vehicle. I have seen my share of 4 wheel drive vehicles off the side in ditches because the driver has a false sense of security because, after all, it has 4 wheel drive!
uraljohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 07:26 AM   #52
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by uraljohn View Post
I have owned 3 vans. 1976 & 1984 GMC Rallye STX's, and currently own and tow with a 2013 Ford E150 XLT Premium van with max tow package including a 3.73 Limited slip Diff. The past 2 Decembers we had snow events in the 12"/15" range in Hendersonville, N.C. I was pulling cars up the hill we live on with my van. Even helped a couple of mid sized pickup trucks get up the hill. Never had a problem in the snow. The first 2 vans I owned in Cincinnati, Ohio and drove through many, many large snow events. I think it may have more to do with the driver than the vehicle. I have seen my share of 4 wheel drive vehicles off the side in ditches because the driver has a false sense of security because, after all, it has 4 wheel drive!
I have a sloped driveway. Not serious, but it’s been a problem. We’ve had UPS trucks barely able to get out of it. I’ve had vans for elecrtricians and carpenters stuck that took forever to get out with a few needing another vehicle with a tow rope to get pulled out. These were good drivers. But when you stop on a slope I don’t care what you have that rear wheel drive vehicle is not going anywhere if there is icy snow underneath. I’ve been in driveways that had I not had 4 wheel drive I would have never gotten out. So that’s why I don’t buy rear wheeled drive cars, vans, or pickups. And yes there are those that drive their 4 wheel drive pickups like idiots. 4 wheel drive isn’t the panacea to drive fast. Or they think, “Hey I can drive through 2 feet of snow.” But I know for a fact a 4 wheel drive vehicle has far more stability and tracks far better on snow than a 2 wheel rear or front wheel drive. Until GM or FORD makes an all wheel drive van never going to get one.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 08:43 AM   #53
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
I guess everything is a compromise to some degree.
Having a driveway you need 4WD to get into is a pretty good reason

I loved the full/part time 4WD on the Suburban. Used it occasionally but, it was almost always because of sand or dirt camping location; with that clearance on the Airstream was almost always the overarching consideration. The other benefits of using a van far outweigh an SUV, IMHO.

We get lots of snow here in MI, and I've never had a problem with my van. We do winter camping, too. I always use an all-season tire or something with fairly aggressive tread.

Here's the best of both worlds right here: http://www.quigley4x4.com/
Old 03-30-2019, 09:17 AM   #54
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
The YouTube Airstreamers, Less Junk, More Journey chose this van. Since then, they've been all over the country, including Alaska.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 02:26 AM   #55
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daquenzer View Post
Vans generally don’t have 4WD. They are horrible on ice and snow. So someone like me in WI where we get snow and ice it would be miserable trying to drive a rear wheel van around. I think for those that live outside the snow belt a Van makes quite a bit of sense though.
Plus there’s a general stigma to vans, especially white ones. They just look suspicious.
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 04:45 AM   #56
Rivet Polisher

1973 31' Sovereign
Mt Pleasant , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post
Plus there’s a general stigma to vans, especially white ones. They just look suspicious.
You watch way too much TV...

#whitevansmatter
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2017071695154336.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	435.6 KB
ID:	337045  
wildhorses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 04:11 PM   #57
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
I like white

Dark colors turn into ovens in the hotter climes. One of my fellow campers actually had his black van roof painted white.
Looks kinda funny, but it works.
Old 04-01-2019, 05:28 PM   #58
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Vantastic!

See Post #28.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 07:37 PM   #59
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , ^
It's like traveling with my shed. Kayaks, bicycles, chairs, tools, etc., etc. All easily tucked away with tons of room to spare. The long wheel base makes for a really stable ride/towing experience. In Florida, white is a good choice for a color.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	vanairs_small.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	1.57 MB
ID:	337099  

Sneakinup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 01:21 PM   #60
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1973 21' Globetrotter
1975 26' Argosy 26
Vista , California
A white window van looks more like a shuttle bus to me. A panel van looks like a tradesman on the way to work. Hitched to an airstream a tradesman on vacation. Hmmm suspicious
They do come in silver with windows, add a silver trailer, now that is a good looking rig!
bibbs is offline   Reply With Quote