Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-29-2021, 11:45 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
There are good YouTubes on fantastic fan operations.
PatLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 12:15 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2018 28' Tommy Bahama
Silver City , New Mexico
Look at the whole RV delivery experience like this. Some good, some not so. A lot of variables. If you try to compare it to the auto buying experience - no can do. An auto dealer is geared toward creating such good will that they may hope to make you a 'regular' in the showroom about every 4 years. Maybe, you'll get all your normal maintenance done at the dealership's shop because you have had good experiences with them. An RV dealer is probably never going to see you except for a warranty repair. The dealer knows you won't be in the showroom again and hopes you'll tell someone what a great place that is to buy an RV. Probably, whatever goes wrong or is not built according to your expectations, is going to carry back to the dealer. The manufacturer usually has a lot of daily problems: One day, Joe the Jewel doesn't show because he slipped on the ice and hurt his back, so Ruben the Rookie is sent over to takeover for Joe. Ruben has never done Joe's job before and manages to screw up several units before lunch. Depending how bad the mistakes are, usually the dealer gets a factory allotment to fix the problem(s). Some do, some don't and their stats show that only 12% of the buyers ever return to make them fix it. So they don't.

The best advice is get to know as much as you can about your unit and take 'problems' to the dealer or manufacturer - or better still - learn how to fix it - especially if you want to boondock - because once you leave the dealership - you're on your own!
ursuit - FS; $$$$ - GONE
If it ain't broke I can break it
A dime still makes a pretty good screwdriver
journeydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 12:24 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2021 25' Flying Cloud
Muscoda , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
My 2 cents...
I would take exception to your acceptance of the Dealers lack of 'focus'.
You are the one who deserves ALL of it during the delivery process.
The folks browsing should take comfort in the attention YOU are getting and realize they will be getting the same should they make a purchase.
It's the dealer delivery process that needs some reorganization.

Bob
🇺🇸

Bob we're in agreement here.
Frankly we knew from jump that the dealership was suspect in their Airstream knowledge, especially after the water pressure regulator snafu.
We also had some expectations (that proved accurate) about what dealing with an RV chain store might be like.

Still in speaking about the folks we dealt with I wanted to be as fair as possible.
They were not well informed but they did demonstrate a willingness to help when asked for specific assistance.

We've been planning this purchase since my join date on this site.
Shortly after I joined the site we built a garage to house the AS and modified our driveway.
This is the year my wife was planning to retire.
Though we didn't plan for Covid, which makes shopping for used trailers out of your home range very difficult - because if you're covid conscious where are you going to stay?
That concern thwarted us more than once in pursuit of a used AS.

Ultimately we chose this unit because it was set up the way we wanted but the deciding factor was that the unit/dealership was in a location that allowed us to stay with a grown daughter and her husband as we worked out purchase and delivery.

Another factor is that I have a medical issue that will allow us about five-six more years of camping.
So this was a case of the right trailer being available at the right time/place and the quality of the dealership itself was of less importance to us due to the other constraints we're dealing with.

Mickey
Tom Servo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 12:45 PM   #24
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
Bob we're in agreement here.
Frankly we knew from jump that the dealership was suspect in their Airstream knowledge, especially after the water pressure regulator snafu.
We also had some expectations (that proved accurate) about what dealing with an RV chain store might be like.

Still in speaking about the folks we dealt with I wanted to be as fair as possible.
They were not well informed but they did demonstrate a willingness to help when asked for specific assistance.

We've been planning this purchase since my join date on this site.
Shortly after I joined the site we built a garage to house the AS and modified our driveway.
This is the year my wife was planning to retire.
Though we didn't plan for Covid, which makes shopping for used trailers out of your home range very difficult - because if you're covid conscious where are you going to stay?
That concern thwarted us more than once in pursuit of a used AS.

Ultimately we chose this unit because it was set up the way we wanted but the deciding factor was that the unit/dealership was in a location that allowed us to stay with a grown daughter and her husband as we worked out purchase and delivery.

Another factor is that I have a medical issue that will allow us about five-six more years of camping.
So this was a case of the right trailer being available at the right time/place and the quality of the dealership itself was of less importance to us due to the other constraints we're dealing with.

Mickey
Good 'ta go...enjoy the new Airstream.

Sweet Streams

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 03-29-2021, 01:51 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2021 20' Basecamp
South Easton , MA
I see folks talking about leaving the dealership with both Weight distribution kits and brake controllers.. Am I to believe that my dealer will do this for me the day I pay for it and take it home? Sounds very unlikely in my case since the dealer is a Mercedez benz dealership first and a AS dealer 2nd... I asked them if they could put in the cover of the fantastic fan while chatting with the so called "dedicated AS sales guy" and he couldn't give me an answer.. In another post I asked whether the brake controller or WD hitch would be needed driving home for a basecamp 20x and was told no that I'd make it home just fine..

Thoughts anyone? Should I be on the phone with the dealer trying to get them to commit to doing this stuff or should I either a) do it myself at home, or b) wait to make an apt at a facility with more AS expertise?
kgottleib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 04:00 PM   #26
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by superChop View Post
Richard 5933 is picking up a new AS AND a new TV in NC soon. Seems like a great opportunity to share the advice of towing with a new TV, particularly if it is new with no miles on it.
Slight correction...they are not new, just new to me. The AS is a 1994 and the truck is a 1999 with 48K on the odometer.

Seller is including the WD hitch, but I'm unsure about it. It's an older Reese - appears to be complete and was probably used on the AS since it was new. Hopefully it's good enough to get me home.

I've got an appointment at a local tire shop for 4 new tires. After that I have an appointment at a local AS dealer to have the bearings repacked. I'll ask them to inspect the hitch while it's there.

My guess is that this can't be any more difficult than driving a semi OTR like I did last summer.
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 07:50 AM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fitchburg , Wisconsin
I suggest you give up on your star tire iron and get a Harbor Freight flip socket and a 24" breaker bar. You will be able to deal with any wheel lug you encounter and you may not need another extension for your torque wrench.

https://www.harborfreight.com/search?q=flip%20socket
BillfromWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 05:55 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2021 25' Flying Cloud
Muscoda , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillfromWI View Post
I suggest you give up on your star tire iron and get a Harbor Freight flip socket and a 24" breaker bar. You will be able to deal with any wheel lug you encounter and you may not need another extension for your torque wrench.

https://www.harborfreight.com/search?q=flip%20socket
Bill,
Gotta agree with you about a breaker bar.
Regarding not needing an extension for the torque wrench I have to disagree.
My torque wrench has a fixed position head and without an extension it won’t work on my coach.
In most positions it doesn’t have room to work.
Tom Servo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 05:30 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fitchburg , Wisconsin
The flip socked comes with a 1/2" drive 3" extension.
BillfromWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 09:46 AM   #30
1 Rivet Member

2019 27' International
burnet , Texas
Tool kit

Minor item, but good idea to include a couple of fuses for the jack motor. Airstream includes a crank for emergency, but easier to simply replace the fuse.
jrob793 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 10:02 AM   #31
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Wildwood , Missouri
Dealer input

So our dealer hooked us up in their parking lot and we spent the night. Any questions or problems we had were addressed the next day. The dealers are not perfect but there are very good ones. We were also supplied with all needed peripherals, including our Blue Ox. And they are super busy due to COVID so they’re doing their best.
Elkhounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 10:04 AM   #32
1 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Torque wrench and extension

The torque wrench is calibrated for a set length of handle. Using an extension will not give an accurate torque reading. Ok to use an extension on a breaker bar. When doing a final torque best to push or pull at the end of the torque wrench handle until the desired torque is reached.
garykendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 10:11 AM   #33
1 Rivet Member

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Winchester , California
Reply to Newbs

Bring your own tool kit, yes, but also focus on understanding your tanks. We parked next to day one Newbs at the Oasis RV park in Vegas. They were using water and had their tanks closed, which is good if you know that eventually you need to drain them. They did not know where the tank monitors were either. I instinctively knew they seem to be under informed. Just in the nick of time, I helped them understand that just hooking up the drain line is not enough, you need to pull the valve open to drain the tank (black or grey). So I showed them at 100 % full, and pulled the grey valve before they flooded their trailer. I remembered who really taught us about our trailer, it was Walley Byam club members. From that point on, I advise all Newbs to join the Walley Byam Club, and a local chapter as well (as soon as you get your unit), and sign up for a local event... and I assure you, members are more than glad to teach you all of the finite tricks for staying happy and safe on adventures. I am forever grateful for club members for helping us when we started. That was over 3 years ago today. We have gone safely on over 50 long weekend & extended cross country trips since then. We have our directory of fellow Streamers, and can call them wherever we are if we need advice.
Jim & Ida Bach - Big Red #'s 24247 ♡ See you on the road ♡
ida B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 10:31 AM   #34
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

That's quite a ways from how our "first day" went.

We had them install the hitch, the TV already had a brake controller. They set up the hitch before any orientation on the trailer. We did a very detailed run through on the WD setup and use of the hitch. That part of the orientation was probably an hour or so. Install was at least an hour on top of that.

Orientation / walk through on the trailer was close to two hours. Needless to say it was overload city by the time that was done. "The guy" either answered all questions or came back later with answers.

Our salesman had strongly recommended we spend the night in the trailer / parked at the dealership. We came prepared to do so. The next day we had more questions. We also made a couple of "supply runs" to equip this or that on the trailer. (You never can anticipate everything).

Overall we spent about a day and a half at the dealer picking up the trailer. We headed off about 2 hours down the road after that and spent a couple days camping.

Since that time, I've visited a number of AS dealers. They are very much a mixed bag. Some are *very* good. Others are pretty awful. I would suggest driving another few hours to get to a good dealer. Indeed on some occasions I've driven to one, had a problem, and then driven to another one.

Be careful with the settings on the trailer brake controller. The brakes on a modern truck are *way* better than what's on a typical trailer (any brand). You want some braking from behind ( ... or you could jackknife .... yikes !!!). If you have a lot of braking from the rear, you can go through entire brake assemblies ( like on every wheel and then again on that wheel there ...).

Fun !!!

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 12:14 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Don't feel bad, we all find things to add. I too bought the "cross" lug wrench and found it didn't fit. I'd recommend a breaker bar (1/2" drive 24" long) from HF, because you never use the torque wrench to loosen lug nuts. Then a 3" extension, a 13/16" thin wall deep socket, and a 3' piece of water pipe that will fit over the breaker bar JIC. Get a 1 1/8" socket for those hitch bolts while you're buying.
I store all these under the back seat.
My walk through was short. Although the dealer was willing, it was 95 degrees and we were in a parking lot. So I took pity on the tech and we sat inside. I had other RV's, how hard could it be? (I got home with half a dozen questions)
I still wish I'd have taken a DVD with me and asked, "Show me how to play this on the TV with the sound on the stereo."
The bottom line is, everything worked and I learned.

I hit a snag because I brought my own hitch (I found used) and learned dealers don't want to install anything they don't sell.
We compromised and I paid one hr. labor for their "hitch expert".
I got home, but he was no expert. I'm still tinkering with settings.
Again, it was 95 degrees. He earned his money.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 12:50 PM   #36

1975 31' Sovereign
Hedgesville , West Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis C View Post
Good call on the dedicated tool box. I continue to add to mine as needed. Yesterday I bought a short 15/16” socket for my water heater drain plug and a 10” pipe wrench. You’ll find that you need to have many things in your toolbox. Things like zip ties, a multimeter, rubber mallet, pliers, wire cutters, screwdrivers, wrenches, etc. I’d be happy to share my list of tools if you’re interested.

Your dealership experience isn’t uncommon. I bought my Airstream from a dealer that sells other brand also. I knew more about the trailer than the guy giving me the orientation by simply watching YouTube videos.

Congrats on your Airstream purchase, and enjoy the learning process!
Dennis, I'm getting ready to p/u another 25FC & would appreciate your list of tools you carry. I've put a list together & would like to view others who have done this & compare to prepare. TU
gramps82x@gmail.com
trailerbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 01:36 PM   #37
Old dog new tricks

2017 19' Flying Cloud
Banner elk , North Carolina
Spend first night near dealership

I know this isn’t always possible but I will never again pick up a new airstream (or SOB) and drive home! Drive to the nearest park or spend the night and day in their parking lot. There is no way a true newbie can take it all in on one walk around. Even with notes, videos or manuals. I’d pull over in their lot and practice several hours, spend the night, cook a little breakfast and go back with my list of questions. If they don’t let me do that they won’t get my money. We have had such a steep (and expensive) learning curve. Could have been avoided. And yes, ask what their slowest day is and go then with a guaranteed appointment.
Flying Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 02:02 PM   #38
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailerbound View Post
Dennis, I'm getting ready to p/u another 25FC & would appreciate your list of tools you carry. I've put a list together & would like to view others who have done this & compare to prepare. TU
gramps82x@gmail.com
No problem. I’ll update it with my latest additions and email it to you.

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 06:09 PM   #39
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Box Elder (formerly Long Island, NY) , South Dakota
Buyers, upon arrival to pick up their new rig should show the dealership that they have the "final payment" (often a Certified Check) but, DO NOT hand said final payment over (or sign any papers) until dealership personnel answer ALL of your questions and address ALL of your issues. Doing it this way keeps YOU in control and, prevents the dealership from rushing you off the lot. Advise the dealership ahead of time that they'll receive final payment as per your conditions. On an expensive rig, it would be wise to hire a Professional RV Inspector and have said professional accompany you the day you're to pick up your rig. The several hundred dollars you'll pay the Professional Inspector will be money well spent and, down the road, you're FAR less likely to have problems because your rig was right before you took delivery. DON'T be surprised that a Professional Inspector finds problems the dealer / factory did not. RV inspections at the factories range from poor to non-existent (many dealers don't fare much better). Any new RV is expensive (as far as the buyer is concerned); the fewer problems you accept at pick up means less cost in repairs down the road.
NY24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 06:24 PM   #40

Fallbrook , California
We are picking up our 1999 19’ Bambi tomorrow from a private party and taking it to a storage facility an hour from home. I would love to bring it home and play with it, but we live on a steep hill in San Francisco! So, we will have to wait 2 weeks and then tow it to a campground and learn about it there. My first time towing a trailer like this. I have towed many VW’s many miles and U-haul type trailers, so not completely clueless. Wish me luck.......
oldvwman is offline   Reply With Quote